• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

This Rightstuf Christmas sale, I don't have the money for this.

What did you all buy?
I'm not sure yet because of all the digital processing fearmongering, but I'm probably going to spend $100 on Hellsing Ultimate and shipping alone. Darn international shipping.

Crocodile

If I haven't seen the recent Fujiko Mine Lupin series, I should still be good to go with the Jigen special right - especially if I'm not a stranger to to Lupin universe?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
If I haven't seen the recent Fujiko Mine Lupin series, I should still be good to go with the Jigen special right - especially if I'm not a stranger to to Lupin universe?

absolutely, there's no connection between the Fujiko series and the Jigen special so as long as you have even the most basic knowledge of Lupin III as a whole you'll be fine.

Beefeater

Banned
absolutely, there's no connection between the Fujiko series and the Jigen special so as long as you have even the most basic knowledge of Lupin III as a whole you'll be fine.

There is a connection, sorta, but it's nothing you can't fill in the blanks for. It's set at an early stage of Lupin and Jigen's partnership, so they're a lot less chummy to start with.

Sailor Moon R 17

DmU6e34.jpg

Rei's grandfather gets exposed as an old pervert.

So he does the obvious thing. Retires as a priest and starts up his own workout school so he can watch young girls all day long. And the monster this week is some kind of female Hulk. She seems to be angry at all times though and not just when she turns green :p

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG 9

So Ghoda's plan is to essentially
harness the stand-alone complex social phenomenon in order to produce revolutionaries based on the refugee issue and create social change within Japan.

Well, he seems to be doing a good job on that front.

Sailor Moon R 18

Strange things can happen when there's no gravity.

Like when Tuxedo Mask manages to slip on a can... And there's lots of thunder and lightning and Usagi has to look for Chibi-Usa for over 20 minutes as well.

e_i

Sailor Moon R 18

Strange things can happen when there's no gravity.

Like when Tuxedo Mask manages to slip on a can... And there's lots of thunder and lightning and Usagi has to look for Chibi-Usa for over 20 minutes as well.

Really? They used "No peeking!" as the translation of "hentai?"

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG 10

Man this show really wants to take Togusa's idealism and crush it into tiny little pieces. The episode was all right though I feel like the first season had better stand-alone episodes than 2nd GIG does.

jbug617

Banned
Date A Live movie next Summer is all new work
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...e-movie-to-be-all-new-work-next-summer/.82187

The official website for the Date A Live anime announced on Monday that the upcoming film is titled Gekijōban Date A Live: Mayuri Judgment (Date A Live the Movie: Mayuri Judgment) and will premiere summer 2015 with an original story supervised by the original light novel author Koushi Tachibana.

The staff unveiled the title and release window along with a video at Sunday's "Date A Fest II" event, which featured appearances from a number of the cast members. Nobunaga Shimazaki, the voice of Shido Itsuka, introduced a silhouette of the new title character, "Mayuri."

Akame ga Kill 24 END

Awful, one of the worst anime of the year. Id put it down as bad as Tokyo ESP. Even Daimidaler was more entertaining then this.
Killing lubba was unforgivable but then Tatsumi too who just shattered in ice, how awful is that. Then the kid emperor didnt need to be beheaded, they could have let him roam the lands.
Senseless and badly written anime overall

Only Akame Ill involvement myself in the future with is hoping for an eventual Tatsumi body pillow, and the soundtrack. Why is great music wasted on bad anime.
Well a mess of epic proportions : Also
Lubba fate is much better in the manga
You're just assuming that didn't happen.
Not really since they changed so much in the anime.
Heck , even the 3 country girls from "that" chapter are alive so yeah , they were sparred in the anime.
Maoyu Mao Yusha LN illustrater Keinojou Mizutama passed away
https://twitter.com/miztama1016/status/544501738384805889

RIP

RIP

*sob
What a bad news

oh Mushishi! This is from Rightstuf I assume? May very well import this since my PS4 is murrican (or are DVDs even region locked?)

DVDs are region locked as well, but it's so much easier to find a region free DVD player or software compared to BD region free players and software.

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 11

Finally a decent head-tilt.

Mizuki answers all of Kuze's questions and then more tragedy hits. There's 3 EDs as well, so that's a bit unusual :p
SHAFT's less headtilty days. Glad that nightmare is over.

And yup show has a number of EDs, very awesome EDs.

~wan

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG 11

This was the episode that I felt the GITS universe needed, Motoko's backstory and this episode does deliver on that premise even if it's mostly connected to a character that I'm almost certain will become important later on.

Midonin

Inou Battle 11

"Fiction exists here [in the heart]"

Hatoko may have been actively questioning Jurai's brand of pretending to be a fallen hero, but everyone has things they're passionate about that they can become delusional about. In her case, following the advice of those magazines to the letter and trying to be what she thinks the "ideal" girlfriend should be, instead of being herself. In either case, it's about creating a persona to impress someone, be it themselves or others.

So Tomoyo might not get everything, but she can still trust Jurai as a friend. And there's always the possibility of a season two. Episodes 10 and 11 haven't given me quite as much to chew on as the rest of the series, but I think, of all the shows this season, there's some really, really interesting ideas packed into this series, about the nature of fandom, imagination and relationships. Something that can't be found in any other series, at least not in this exact way.

Then there's that final scene.

Mirei, what are you doing?

Ef - A Tale of Melodies 12

All the pairings gets resolution and that's the end.

If you're looking for the same awesome mood as in the first show, then you'll find a lot less of that here. Instead the tragedy is deeper though, so both shows got their good points. It's also nice to see some of the characters from the first show finally meeting up and the conclusion to everything.

In both shows there's also some nods to all the Key VNs that existed up until this point. Dunno if it's all intentional and from the VN this is based on, but it feels like there were quite a few of those. And there's some for Hidamari Sketch as well, but that' just Shaft I guess P

The music is still good, maybe not as great as the first show, but this one has a better OP.

So, better sad stuff and less awesome mood. I think that balances out, so 4/5 masks for this one, same score as for the first show:
Od67D3s.png
Od67D3s.png
Od67D3s.png
Od67D3s.png
hvxMRc2.png

Bahamut - 10

Oh balls alot of shit went down.
Jeanne turning demon
Amira is is more or less a clone of "the mother" and got false memories?
wait.. Chaika?
Rita striking a deal with Azazel
and last but not least
Favaro turning demon
Soundtrack was splendid. Being Amira is suffering.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
In a year with SAO II airing, this cannot be possible.
Sword Art Online is an easy target for people to take pot shots at but it's probably better than at least half of the other shows currently airing. Significantly less embarassing tham Log Horizon's faux idols and half hour Gamersgate speeches.

Himemiya

Ai Mai Mi: Mousou Catastrophe 1-12 end

+ magical girls, demon-looking BL artists, and kaiju. Surreal like the last season.

based itsuki imazaki (ai mai mi)

OyPelIf.jpg

This is cool. Certainly helped me appreciate the style even more.

Oh yeah and I'm done the watchbet. These were all at least alright shorts, so varied it'd be difficult to even compare two of them together.

Grexeno

Sword Art Online is an easy target for people to take pot shots at but it's probably better than at least half of the other shows currently airing. Significantly less embarassing tham Log Horizon's faux idols and half hour Gamersgate speeches.
Hahahahahahaha

oh man

ahahahaa

no

e_i

Motto To Love Ru

Cute, little three part episodes. Nice ending with some plot advancement. Yes, Lala, Rito
should just marry everybody. They all want to bang him anyway.

You gotta stop feeling yourself dimb.

~wan

jgminto

Both are bad shows that aren't worth watching.

time to resume WIxoss. Got distracted by Elphelt.

cajun be honest.

Akame ga Kill!/Akame ga Kill Theater/this entire series 24 end

So they're aware of this, huh?

Guess those "Akame = Who?" jokes have even more credence.

Akame ga Kill 24 END

Awful, one of the worst anime of the year. Id put it down as bad as Tokyo ESP. Even Daimidaler was more entertaining then this.
Killing lubba was unforgivable but then Tatsumi too who just shattered in ice, how awful is that. Then the kid emperor didnt need to be beheaded, they could have let him roam the lands.
Senseless and badly written anime overall

Only Akame Ill involvement myself in the future with is hoping for an eventual Tatsumi body pillow, and the soundtrack. Why is great music wasted on bad anime.

When even DTL is with everyone when hating something, you know its bad.

Well a mess of epic proportions : Also
Lubba fate is much better in the manga

Still being dead is not a better fate.

Nor is having one of your amigos crushed.

Inou Battle - 11

First half didn't do much for me. While I think Hatoko has the the heart in the right place, I just find her to be.. somewhat unstable/creepy, like when she yelled Ju-kun over and over. If anyone is gonna win the Andou-bowl it's evident in the later part.
Oh right there was another group, and the fairies. Well only one more left to go.

I have a question for anyone who has experience with ordering DVDs from online retailers.

I'm currently looking at these;

Senki Zessho Symphogear Season 1 DVD (TV) Complete Box Set

1. Playtech-Asia
2. Shopanimedvd

Senki Zessho Symphogear G DVD Complete Season 2 Collection

1. Playtech-Asia
2. Shopanimedvd

There are a few questions I have about these sites in particular. Since no one has brought a home release of Symphogear (seasons one and two) to NA I don't have much of a choice beyond ordering the Japanese DVD's. Luckily I managed to find these links which list the collections as having English subtitles available and the region as 0/ALL.

However the season 1 set on both sites lists it as having episodes 1-12, but there are actually 13 episodes in the first season. So I'm not sure how to proceed here since I don't know why it's listed as 1-12 when there are in fact 13 episodes. Maybe they combined the last two episodes into one? I can't say for sure. Is it common to find errors (assuming it is one) like that?

My last concern is if anyone knows about the legitimacy of these sites since I've never seen/used them before. I figured it would be too much trouble to setup an illegitimate site like this but I just want to consult the posters here before I do anything else.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 15

This show is just covering every form of water-based diversions. There's been a bath episode, a hot springs episode and now a pool episode. Cute side story. I also like the wordplay they're doing with "Asiarai Makoto" becoming "Otokami Arisa" in her modeling career. Japanese as a language just lends itself to these things naturally.

Read or Die The TV 24-26 + Final Thoughts

The episode lengths for this show were all over the map. Some were regular length, and others, like the finale, were longer still, even with the English credits scroll removed. I'm sure some of it was DVD bonus scenes (TV time slots are a sure thing), but wow. I'm very satisfied with this finale. The sisters reaffirmed that nobody's going to stop them, everybody did their thing, there was a few setbacks, and it came to a happy ending after all.

I'm not sure where ROD ranks on my list of book-based anime. It's near the top, but I also really liked Kokoro Library. The original OVA and the TV series' mix of Japanese sensibilities and American cinema-style action was an interesting mix, and having a love of books - of reading them and writing them - at the center of it all made for something appealing. Truly a world where the pen is mightier than the sword. And the gun. And everything else. ROD the TV was really Anita's story. Awakening her love of reading and coming to terms with who she was, but the way it served as an epilogue for Nancy and Yomiko was equally satisfying. That makes it Nenene's story too. The parallels between her and Anita were happening pretty often.

Though it's a bit of an old series, it still holds up today. My anime book tour may have had a rough similarity in concept - books and the importance they hold to people - but all of them did something different with it. Books as a religion. Books as a community. Books as a personal expression. Books as memories. You can do so many different things.

ROD gets my approval.

The next series I'm watching is one where I've seen the sequel, and it's even older than ROD's TV series. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's space time! Kiddy Grade is next in my backlog.

My last concern is if anyone knows about the legitimacy of these sites since I've never seen/used them before. I figured it would be too much trouble to setup an illegitimate site like this but I just want to consult the posters here before I do anything else.
I'm pretty certain those are bootlegs. The Japanese releases for both shows are singles only, and if they did have box sets released, they'd be way more expensive than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom