• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

I'm not really sure why anyone expected Robo;Notes to be a sequel to Steins;Gate when that one, as far as I'm aware, had nothing to do with Chaos;Head to begin with.

I also don't think everyone is remembering that Steins;Gate was pretty shit at the beginning, with one of the most abysmally directed first episodes I have a recollection of. It wasn't until a ways in that things started getting actually interesting, which is why I'm not being dismissive of Robo;Notes quite so soon. Hell, I'm already liking it more than I did Steins;Gate at the same point.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not really sure why anyone expected Robo;Notes to be a sequel to Steins;Gate when that one, as far as I'm aware, had nothing to do with Chaos;Head to begin with.

I also don't think everyone is remembering that Steins;Gate was pretty shit at the beginning, with one of the most abysmally directed first episodes I have a recollection of. It wasn't until a ways in that things started getting actually interesting, which is why I'm not being dismissive of Robo;Notes quite so soon. Hell, I'm already liking it more than I did Steins;Gate at the same point.

What sucks is I only have part one of Steins;Gate.
The other half comes in December and Im not starting it until I can marathon the whole thing.

No, I don't remember that Steins;Gates was pretty shitty at the beginning. It was slow but it had a logical and straight buildup - something Robotics;Notes doesn't have (+inferior characters and setting). And the hate for the first episode is an animeGAF thing.

wonzo

Banned
JOJO 4
jojo4.jpg
jojo4a.jpg

Another ridiculously over-the-top episode of this series. I'm gonna have to gif the frog scene as it was one of the funniest things I've seen in quite some time.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is pretty much the way I feel about stuff like K-On, Hyouka and Im@s.
I commend you for being honest with yourself
even if I somewhat feel you deliberately picked those shows to bother me

Say no to giving pity points to shows you think are bad just to make your feelings more acceptable to people who disagree with you!

Uchip

Banned

Say no to giving pity points to shows you think are bad just to make your feelings more acceptable to people who disagree with you!

It cant be deliberate
those are the first 3 shows that come to mind when boredom is mentioned

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
What sucks is I only have part one of Steins;Gate.
The other half comes in December and Im not starting it until I can marathon the whole thing.

It is glorious. It might have been perfect as a one cour show. The first 10 or 11 episodes took some serious patience, but the second half of the show is worth it. What I loved the most is that this show really takes consequences to their full extent. It becomes a show about learning from your mistakes and realizing that it takes a hell of a lot more effort to undo them than it does to cause them in the first place.

trejo

With that said, is the BRS OVA pretty decent?

I remember dropping the TV series like at episode 2 or something.

I was never a fan of the OVA but I'll be the first to admit that the pure, unadultered shitiness of BRS TV made it look a lot better in hindsight.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I can't. If it bores me, it's completely bad, and I feel bad about the wasted effort that went into it.

You can't say this when you haven't seen Hyouka.

Also K-ON is moe but it isn't fanwank.
I hope you don't consider something to be objectively bad if you are bored with it.

trejo

No, I don't remember that Steins;Gates was pretty shitty at the beginning. It was slow but it had a logical and straight buildup - something Robotics;Notes doesn't have (+inferior characters and setting). And the hate for the first episode is an animeGAF thing.

You appear to have a spotty memory, then.

Dresden

gnwuol.jpg

Code:Breaker -

Episode one was campy and overblown in an enjoyable way, where the way it both exaggerates and underplays certain elements of the show makes the content a lot more palatable than the manga (which I dropped a long time ago due to it sucking shit). You get the feeling that the director & co. recognize the flaws of the work and decided to just run with it.

Like, there's some terrible stuff happening in this episode but there's also the other half of the show where it's a really dumb, really silly highschool romcom. The dichotomy is awkward in what I remember of the manga but here the ridiculous juxtaposes with the horrific and the result is amusing and pretty entertaining. All this in an episode where
a dog gets kicked to death, a girl is almost raped, and like thirty people are burned to death.

Also the OP feels old school as fuck. I guess I'll keep watching this for now.

---

The VA casting also feels spot-on. Sakura Sakurakouji sounds just the way you'd imagine her to--overbearing, uptight.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Steins;Gate just reminds me of how much I love dumb girls. Mayushi is perfect. Yui in K-ON is delightful. Miria in Baccano is hitting the spot right now. I need more dumb girls.

Uchip

Banned
It is glorious. It might have been perfect as a one cour show. The first 10 or 11 episodes took some serious patience, but the second half of the show is worth it. What I loved the most is that this show really takes consequences to their full extent. It becomes a show about learning from your mistakes and realizing that it takes a hell of a lot more effort to undo them than it does to cause them in the first place.

what I dont get
is that if you're correcting mistakes in different timelines, the issues are only solved for the one that gets effected by the reading steiner memory replacement event
So it might seem like a positive thing, but he still fucked up so many other realities and only salvaged one?

trejo

Funnily enough, I didn't. They were just the first examples that came to mind of shows with extremely high production values that were nonetheless akin to watching paint dry for the most part. I was tempted to include Nichijou, but my main issue with that show is that it was an unfunny comedy rather than being outright boring.

Narag

JoJo 4

Bwngsl.png

Censorship didn't bother me as much as the lighter coloration around the noses which seemed used a little more wrecklessly this time around. Scrubbing through the earlier eps showed some restraint and less of a contrast.
Vampire Jack the Ripper had a shot as bad as Zeppli there.

That said, Fuuuuuuuck yes.

Tomat

No, of course.
I still disagree with the idea of something brig objectively bad because you're bored with it, but at less you're willing to acknowledge that it does some things well.

You are a complicated person sometimes.

Dresden

robo note - 02

Mostly boring, although the brown girl was cute and I like the little robot.

Then the 'syndrome' hit and I rolled my eyes and the dude became slightly less of a douche because he got to white knight the girl he studiously ignores otherwise. It was fucking dumb.

what I dont get
is that if you're correcting mistakes in different timelines, the issues are only solved for the one that gets effected by the reading steiner memory replacement event
So it might seem like a positive thing, but he still fucked up so many other realities and only salvaged one?

Steins;Gate

In the many-worlds interpretation, all the realities exist simultaneously. All he was doing was traveling between timelines until he found one where Mayuri doesn't die and Kurisu doesn't die and SERN doesn't take over the world. All the universes where these scenarios exist regardless of what he does or doesn't do, so in that sense he isn't "correcting" anything. He is, however, searching for the world which best represents his best-case scenario. The Reading Steiner gives him the ability to travel from one universe to another and remember what was different between them, whereas for everyone else in the universe, that is the only universe they have ever known or will ever know.

Tomat

robo note - 02

Mostly boring, although the brown girl was cute and I like the little robot.

Then the 'syndrome' hit and I rolled my eyes and the dude became slightly less of a douche because he got to white knight the girl he studiously ignores otherwise. It was fucking dumb.
I have an issue with you calling this "white knighting." I highly doubt the MC actually ignores her (why would he have eaten that bun and helped her the parts if he did?). He doesn't ignore her, he's just not as enthusiastic as her and has a much different approach to things. Under any normal circumstances I don't think many people would be friends with the guy if he was a complete dick like some folks seem to think he is.

Uchip

Banned
In the many-worlds interpretation, all the realities exist simultaneously. All he was doing was traveling between timelines until he found one where Mayuri doesn't die and Kurisu doesn't die and SERN doesn't take over the world. All the universes where these scenarios exist regardless of what he does or doesn't do, so in that sense he isn't "correcting" anything. He is, however, searching for the world which best represents his best-case scenario. The Reading Steiner gives him the ability to travel from one universe to another and remember what was different between them, whereas for everyone else in the universe, that is the only universe they have ever known or will ever know.

but isnt he just sending his awareness through space time?
each okarin would have different memories being replaced, and since memories define the 'self' hes not really traveling anywhere but overwriting a very similar person
I dont see how anyone else wouldn't have the same reading steiner "ability" on having their memories overwritten with ones detailing the experience.

Subject matter isn't what makes me bored with a show, ever.

cute girls doing cute things can only go so far regardless of how well its directed
the subject matter is extremely limiting in terms of character development and diversity
can you really claim that something is objectively good, and that everyone else is wrong when they simply are not interested in what is happening?

Branduil

I have an issue with you calling this "white knighting." I highly doubt the MC actually ignores her (why would he have eaten that bun and helped her the parts if he did?). He doesn't ignore her, he's just not as enthusiastic as her and has a much different approach to things. Under any normal circumstances I don't think many people would be friends with the guy if he was a complete dick like some folks seem to think he is.

Well, he knows she
has a fake KEY illness
and yet he lets her do all the work... that's kind of a jerk move.

Dresden

Beat me in KILL-BALLAD.

what I dont get

Well, we don't know what happens to those world lines after Okabe jumps. There is some discussion in the VN of whether or not they even keep going when Okabe is no longer there to observe them.

trejo

He is a pretty huge dick, though. His beyond reprehensible gamer cred bullshit aside, why would he not pool in a single cent of his own money into the project if indeed he cares for her so much?

Thankfully, the third episode diminishes the arrogant douchebag quotient considerably.

Dresden

He does agree to pilot the robot and even suggests something to make it easier to use.
it takes the girl
getting knocked out
for him to even bother with it, and when he accepts he still words it as an obligation.

I'm sure he gets 'better,' but that's because it's the only way his character can go.

Tomat

He is a pretty huge dick, though. His beyond reprehensible gamer cred bullshit aside, why would he not pool in a single cent of his own money into the project if indeed he cares for her so much?

Thankfully, the third episode diminishes the arrogant douchebag quotient considerably.
Probably because he isn't all that interested in the club itself and sticks around because there are no other members. Sure he's not the most cooperative person, but for someone to simply write him off as a complete jerk isn't fair.

but isnt he just sending his awareness through space time?
each okarin would have different memories being replaced, and since memories define the 'self' hes not really traveling anywhere but overwriting a very similar person
I dont see how anyone else wouldn't have the same reading steiner "ability" on having their memories overwritten with ones detailing the experience.

Steins;Gate

Seeing as how Okabe has a textbook case of chuunibyou throughout the story of Steins;Gate, it's indeed possible that Okabe isn't special at all and anyone could have 'Reading Steiner' if they used the memory transfer invention. There's no way to test that theory in the context of this fictional world, though. Anyways, there are certain fantastical elements in the game which require some really bizarre interpretations of quantum physics. For example, why is it that late in the story, Mayuri and Kurise develop vague "memories" of their other selves in other universes? This could be an example of the many-minds interpretation. So at some point you just have to give up and realize this is science fiction and go with it.

Seeing as how Okabe has a textbook case of chuunibyou throughout the story of Steins;Gate, it's indeed possible that Okabe isn't special at all and anyone could have 'Reading Steiner' if they used the memory transfer invention. There's no way to test that theory in the context of this fictional world, though. Anyways, there are certain fantastical elements in the game which require some really bizarre interpretations of quantum physics. For example, why is it that late in the story, Mayuri and Kurise develop vague "memories" of their other selves in other universes? This could be an example of the many-minds interpretation. So at some point you just have to give up and realize this is science fiction and go with it.
At the end of the VN, Okabe says that Reading Steiner is something everyone has. Others (Feris, Ruka, Kurisu) are able to retain vague memories from before the world line is reconstructed, so there is evidence of it in the story. How that all fits in with the Attractor Field Theory and how word lines work in SG, who knows. Reading Steiner happens when the first dmail was sent even before the machine was modified to do whole memory transfer thing, so that's not the cause.

Dresden

Magi - 03

I guess stuff happened.

It all feels pretty mediocre. Also unhappy about quite a few things but it is what it is.

Uchip

Banned
So many Steins;Gate spoilers @_@
Getting dangerous in here!

turns out its just futile to question the grey areas of anime fringe science
best to keep an open mind watching Steins;Gate and it will be more enjoyable

@ pizzaroll
so basically you are claiming that your realtime analysis of every scene is so infalliable in respect to what is deemed good direction that if people dont like what you do, theyre wrong?
you realize how conceited that sounds, right?

Grzi

Kingdom 13-16

It's funny how war is portrayed as something good, at least according to Xin, dude can't wait to go into battle and start killing people. It sends a wonderful message to the children.
Still ugly as hell, still entertaining.

Oh, this gif by wonzo needs to be posted again, it's from episode 13, and it's absolutely amazing:

i6dTpwEAJQyo7.gif

Defuser

Jooooooooooooooooooojo! ep 4
This whole episode dialogue is so over the top but so goooooood! Man Speedwagon is like so obsessed with jojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom