• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
cute girls doing cute things can only go so far regardless of how well its directed
Wrong, it can go as far as it is directed to. Artificially limiting the genre in your mind is a sign of a closed mind. It is no more limited than any other subject matter.

the subject matter is extremely limiting in terms of character development and diversity
Disagreed on the character development; look at Hyouka. If anything it's slice of life (I am assuming you are using cute girls doing cute things as a pejorative for slice of life) that allows the most natural, organic character development without reliance on high-concept larger-than-life happenings.

Diversity is a total non-factor.
can you really claim that something is objectively good, and that everyone else is wrong when they simply are not interested in what is happening?
They don't have to be wrong; there's nothing wrong about disliking a show for subjective reasons. It's when they try to present their subjective reasons as objective... that's when issues arrive.

It's also worth noting that my reasons for liking or disliking something are objective, but factored subjectively. Like, Yuasa's works have rather bad pacing and somebody else can recognize this while still enjoying it, it just doesn't effect them as much as it does me. So the actual fault is objective and I stand by that, but the degree to which it affects things varies per person and is subjective.

With that in mind, I can also dislike or like things based on different objective merits that are subjectively amplified too, and so can someone else. I'm not trying to claim a monopoly on objectivity. I'm just saying that my reasons for liking or disliking something will have objective reasoning behind it, and may not contain all the objective elements in something, leaving things for other people to objectively like and dislike as well; not that when I like something it's entirely objectively good or that when I dislike something it's entirely objectively bad and anybody who disagrees with me is stuck in subjectivity and/or wrong.

That sounds reasonable, right?
@ pizzaroll
so basically you are claiming that your realtime analysis of every scene is so infalliable in respect to what is deemed good direction that if people dont like what you do, theyre wrong?
you realize how conceited that sounds, right?
Stop projecting. My stance on things is very reasonable and leads to good discussion with many people.

In the end I feel like I'm really stretching the meaning of objective. I should create a new word.

Steroyd

K-ON is lovely. A rare display of walking that delicate line between delightful infatuation and subliminal fanwank. The moe moe scene with Mio does come to mind however.

Azunyan was made to masturbate over though.

I came from Mangaf to... this.

Is there no escape for me!?

From The New World - 05

A nice broadening scope on the world, although it did feel at times that the animation wasn't designed for big bouts of movement.

Jex

Code:Breaker -

The VA casting also feels spot-on. Sakura Sakurakouji sounds just the way you'd imagine her to--overbearing, uptight.

It's got some pretty glorious casting unlike say. Despite Magi's far higher production values, bigger budget and better animation it's surprising how badly they did the casting. It's weird that they;d screw something like that up on such a major property, then again apparently its not the only thing they screwed up.

Uchip

Banned
Wrong, it can go as far as it is directed to. Artificially limiting the genre in your mind is a sign of a closed mind. It is no more limited than any other subject matter.

Disagreed on the character development; look at Hyouka. If anything it's slice of life (I am assuming you are using cute girls doing cute things as a pejorative for slice of life) that allows the most natural, organic character development without reliance on high-concept larger-than-life happenings.

Diversity is a total non-factor.

"cute girls doing cute things" is a specific genre that is very much limited in what it will cover, and arguing that its possible for it to go anywhere is to deny its essence. There is a reason none of the girls in K-ON were interested in boys, and why the majority of Hyouka is inconsequential.

Calling diversity a non-factor in a persons enjoyment of media is just by all means stupid and doesn't need deliberation.

They don't have to be wrong; there's nothing wrong about disliking a show for subjective reasons. It's when they try to present their subjective reasons as objective... that's when issues arrive.

hard to argue with an expert on bleach filler

I'm not trying to claim a monopoly on objectivity.

Tomat said:"I hope you don't consider something to be objectively bad if you are bored with it."
in which you responded "I do"
thats a statement that can only be interpreted in one way

Dresden

My Little Monster - 02

It's a lot of fun. Colorful, charming, and not afraid to take on SEROIUS SUBJECTS like bulimia, cyberbullying, the cruelties of domesticated chicken farming and the plight of small businesses struggling under Obama's Japan.

It certainly explains how these girls put all that monja away without bulking up.

sAawi.jpg

It's got some pretty glorious casting unlike say. Despite Magi's far higher production values, bigger budget and better animation it's surprising how badly they did the casting. It's weird that they;d screw something like that up on such a major property, then again apparently its not the only thing they screwed up.

Feels bad.

At the end of the VN, Okabe says that Reading Steiner is something everyone has. Others (Feris, Ruka, Kurisu) are able to retain vague memories from before the world line is reconstructed, so there is evidence of it in the story. How that all fits in with the Attractor Field Theory and how word lines work in SG, who knows. Reading Steiner happens when the first dmail was sent even before the machine was modified to do whole memory transfer thing, so that's not the cause.

This reminds me that I really need to play the S;G VN someday.

I would say "It'll sell to the fujoshi anyway so Aniplex/A1 don't care", but after the initial solicitation of the BDs the preorders aren't really in a position that indicates it'll sell substantially. So it could end up that no one gets what they want.

fertygo

I would say "It'll sell to the fujoshi anyway so Aniplex/A1 don't care", but after the initial solicitation of the BDs the preorders aren't really in a position that indicates it'll sell substantially. So it could end up that no one gets what they want.

The rating and manga sales boost already give good sign though. I don't see how the casting is bad though, especially with most of the cast not yet make appearance. I thought the main cast doing fine.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
YuruYuri 7

-Okay, the scene where Kyoko was trying to mosey up to Chinatsu in the theater while Chinatsu pulled off brilliantly timed escape maneuvers was funny. Then Kyoko wins her a cat head doll thing. Then they hold hands. Somebody's making progress.
I currently use that cat head doll thing as my Finder icon.

My biggest grudge to anime design was total downgrade on :chet department.
Flat_is_justice.tiff

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's also worth noting that my reasons for liking or disliking something are objective
Sometimes I do wonder about this. As an example, anytime someone names a game that tends to be remotely popular you seem to have a tendency to label it as garbage because of that, or because its not a CAVE shooter.
Well Im glad he sticks around for hs JoJo, guess Ill hurry and get towatching this.
You are so one dimensional man.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sometimes I do wonder about this. As an example, anytime someone names a game that tends to be remotely popular you seem to have a tendency to label it as garbage because of that, or because its not a CAVE shooter.
Come on, you know my reasons for labelling them garbage and it's not because they're popular.

After watching ep 3 of Jormungand: Perfect Order... it really is a shame people tend to write this show off so easily. There is some quality to it.

It's no where near perfect, and overall is hit or miss, but there are some great moments in this series.
I didn't think people write it off. Its really just an average anime, that has its moments (valmet arc was awful) with an above average musical direction. Perfect order is much better than season one in the drama and intensity departments.

/XX/

He improved it, even. Huke's art is pretty bland and bad once you strip away the tacky filters.
Man, I liked the designs for the animation, but I also think huke has been very capable as an illustrator even since the first TEAM FULLMECHA (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34979460&postcount=105) days.

Anyway, he works more with custom textures on acrylic brush strokes initially (he precisely still uses Corel Painter IX.5 because of its extensive libraries, complete compatibility with previous versions of said libraries and capability of personalization for this tools) than relying on filters or effects except for finishing touches. I'll link below just an example with the making of a drawing of Shigurui's Ushimata, but there are quite a bit more speed painting videos from him, accessible through his blog:

虎眼流師範代牛股権左衛門を描いてみたでござる ‐ ニコニコ動画(原宿)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1217776

HWB 虎眼流師範代牛股権左衛門
http://huke.blog.shinobi.jp/CM/21/2/

/XX/

At least I know someone has it now, because there has been a serious lack of expectation for A Letter to Momo's disc release:

なおさんの「徒然日記」 : Blu-ray「ももへの手紙」届く!
http://blog.livedoor.jp/naosanae86/archives/51743967.html

With such a fabulous Zeppeli, I'm hoping for the best 'bread moment' expression, soon. They can't botch that!

Ed 2 is the best of the songs to me, still memorable and catchy, though such a tease with the generation of miracles members it shows in it. I want to see the one with the multi colored eyes play. I wonder if that has to do with whatever his ability is, though a regular seirin member as well as someone in another team already have eye abilities.

I'm not there yet. :p

Soma

Man, I liked the designs for the animation, but I also think huke has been very capable as an illustrator even since the first TEAM FULLMECHA (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34979460&postcount=105) days.

Anyway, he works more with custom textures on acrylic brush strokes initially (he precisely still uses Corel Painter IX.5 because of its extensive libraries, complete compatibility with previous versions of said libraries and capability of personalization for this tools) than relying on filters or effects except for finishing touches. I'll link below just an example with the making of a drawing of Shigurui's Ushimata, but there are quite a bit more speed painting videos from him, accessible through his blog:

HWB 虎眼流師範代牛股権左衛門

Oh wow thanks for the links. I'm a fan of huke's artstyle (I've used a few of his stuff for avatars here) and I love watching speed paintings so these are amazing for me.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Anyway, he works more with custom textures on acrylic brush strokes initially (he precisely still uses Corel Painter IX.5 because of its extensive libraries, complete compatibility with previous versions and capability of personalization for this tools) than relying on filters or effects except for finishing touches. I'll link below just an example with the making of a drawing of Shigurui's Ushimata, but there are quite a bit more speed painting videos from him, accessible through his blog:

HWB 虎眼流師範代牛股権左衛門
My problem with his art is the poses. They're really stiff and awkward looking; like a roughly posed action figure. Like, look at this:
There's no real sense of weight or movement in her pose despite that clearly being the intent. It just looks awkward and disconnected with the way her legs, arms, and head all seem to be affected by different sorts of motion. It's like he drew some sense of motion into each individual section but it lacks unity across the body and gives it that action figure look.
Her leg is just sort of strangely perfectly resting on the object with no weight pressed to her leg and no effect on the rest of her body, like her stomach area, shoulders, and hips. Try putting your leg up on your chair like that and you'll see what I mean.

And so on. It's a problem in every piece of art of his that I've seen.

Also no matter how he achieves it, those brushes make everything look tacky as hell. :p

wonzo

Banned
One Off 3-4 END

This was a pretty fitting conclusion to this nice little OVA. I kinda wish they'd do a TV series but it's pretty unlikely as it would most likely undermine the overall message of this OVA but if anyone can do it, it's SatoJun :bow:.

oneoff2b.jpg

:sdburton

/XX/

Oh wow thanks for the links. I'm a fan of huke's artstyle (I've used a few of his stuff for avatars here) and I love watching speed paintings so these are amazing for me.
Don't mention it, it was my duty to protect the honor of this artist!
O.K., that was a little cheesy... don't quote me on that!

My problem with his art is the poses. They're really stiff and awkward looking; like a roughly posed action figure. Like, look at this:

There's no real sense of weight or movement in her pose despite that clearly being the intent. It just looks awkward and disconnected with the way her legs, arms, and head all seem to be affected by different sorts of motion. It's like he drew some sense of motion into each individual section but it lacks unity across the body and gives it that action figure look.

Her leg is just sort of strangely perfectly resting on the object with no weight pressed to her leg and no effect on the rest of her body, like her stomach area, shoulders, and hips. Try putting your leg up on your chair like that and you'll see what I mean.
I'd agree (in part) with you here, because he has had a tendency of showing off in that way his own character designs, it reminds me of exaggerated fashion model stances... that's true. As an example, his work on the METAL GEAR AC!D 2 comic (http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mga2/japanese/intro_comic_01.html), that I put in that TEAM FULLMECHA post I linked to earlier, is more loose (in that aspect you mention) and earlier his works were more sharp and dynamic, but that is something he has been leaving aside for some time to keep pushing for unnatural (and therefore gaudy) poses along a style which has been making him more popular.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 105

This episode is proof of why you shouldn't let forces become more loyal to individuals than to institutions.
If it were for me I would just have Bittenfeld's entire Black Lancers disbanded. Their aptitude for military conflict aside, they are a ticking bomb about to explode.

And so Rubinsky disappears from the map without any further real involvement in the plot. His character had become meaningless. Not a galactic hero, nope.

Bittenfeld makes a great point about how the Kaiser's personality has changed. Is it marriage? The fact that he's gonna be a dad? Having lost Yang Wenli? I'm leaning for the last option.

Grzi

Medaka Box Abnormal - 03

Looks like we'll have to wait until next week for the shit to hit the fan. This episode was a bit boring, but I guess since we're done with the intro it's non-stop action from now on, right?
Hopefully Gainax deliver on the sakuga.

cajunator

Banned
I swear by far the cutest thing this season is "Yuuta..itai!"
And otherwise every time Rikka says "AU!"
Its so fucking cute I keep replaying those parts over and over.
I have a problem.

Articalys

This must be what they showed off at the Dengeki 20th a few weeks ago. I remember seeing some blurry stills from it.

Ray is involved, which is nice.

cajunator

Banned
Psycho Pass 02

Trying to get caught up.
Not a lot happened in this episode. mostly Akane visiting
the enforcer that she shot trying to protect the woman from episode 1
as well as accompanying another enforcer on a minor mission in which they were disguised as mascot robots or something.
By the way, Butch Gen was just lying again like he did with Madoka. Akane is MOE AS FUCK.

Grzi

Kuroko no Basket 20-22

Finally good training episodes, too little too late, the show is almost over wtf.

The manga is ongoing, so there should be a second season since the first one is selling pretty well.
The season ends on a high note though, you should like it.

Defuser

Finally able to post in the thread again!
Edit: So what shows are worth watching this season?

Psycho Pass
Magi
Zetsuen no Tempest
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun
Shin Sekai Yori
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

Fairy Tail 154
tumblr_mcjxh2Ub3E1qc5wono2_250.gif

Lots of silly moments in this especially that and then Gray pushing Natsu on the bridge and the remarks from Natsu afterwards, the anime made the
kiss
look way closer than the manga did for Erza.

Surprised they reached the games in just four episodes into this arc.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gintama 181

Sorry, looks like best girl is now murderous drunken one instead of stalking ninja.

Nice end to the arc. That ED remix.

She was the very best from the second she was introduced.

I totally need to catch up on Gintama at some point. I'm a good 100 episodes or so behind now :(

sonicmj1

You appear to have a spotty memory, then.

By episode 2, Steins;Gate had some sort of mystery going, thanks to its time traveling emails, and Okabe is much, much more fun to watch than anyone in Robotics;Notes.

There just isn't a lot to be curious about in R;N at the moment. The only unknown element that we have good reason to care about at the moment has to do with the accident in the past, which is really just information that the characters are withholding from us. Every other bit of mysterious foreshadowing is completely free of context.

They're different shows with different aims, but the stakes in R;N feel a lot lower, especially since the protagonist is pretty apathetic about everything happening around him.

Finally able to post in the thread again!
Edit: So what shows are worth watching this season?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a buffet of manliness and fabulousness.
Chuunibyou is goofy fun watching people do embarrassing things.
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is a really great shoujo.
Psycho-Pass has been awesome so far. It's like an episodic sci-fi police procedural.
From the New World/Shin Sekai Yori has been taut and atmospheric so far. Very powerful.

If everything works out (which won't happen), this could be a better season than spring was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom