• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
After watching ep 3 of Jormungand: Perfect Order... it really is a shame people tend to write this show off so easily. There is some quality to it.

It's no where near perfect, and overall is hit or miss, but there are some great moments in this series.

Thoraxes

OH GOD NO, WAIT, HOLD THE PHONE.

I take back my recent statement about hyouka being the, "hands down", greatest KyoAni show.

That was an extremely near sighted statement.

Nichijou is, by far, the greatest thing to be produced by that studio.

I apologize for my egregious mistake. *Bows*

You are forgiven.

Narag

Princess Nine 18

Well, that's strange. OP mostly stayed the same except for the lyrics.

No wonder the school's chairman was carrying such a torch for Ryo's father too. Her plan to help Ryo and form a girl's baseball team was entirely to see Ryo's father one final time through his daughter. Even though she regretted this after all the misfortune, Ryo was thankful as she's probably closer to her father now all these years after his death than she had been in years.

Narag

After watching ep 3 of Jormungand: Perfect Order... it really is a shame people tend to write this show off so easily. There is some quality to it.

It's no where near perfect, and overall is hit or miss, but there are some great moments in this series.

I'm getting to it sooner or later!

I plan on reading the manga, and then I won't have to deal with White Fox's mediocrity.

Upotte!! > Jormungand

Do you know if the manga is supposed to be good, or are you going in blind?

I don't know if the manga is good - I haven't really seen opinions about it - but I think it has enough potential to be worth checking out.

And god I love White Fox hate. Especially from people who didn't even bother to watch Katanagatari or Steins;Gate.

While I didn't watch either of those two shows, I did watch some of Jormungand and was not impressed by the production.

ofx360

Banned
Nichijou might be their best show if the comedy was as consistent as the animation. As things stand, Nichibros was far funnier despite 1/10th the budget.

Ehh...i disagree.

Now this, i know, is a VERY unpopular statement, but that Nichibro wasn't too funny for me after the first ep.

The funniest scenes happened ep1, then the subsequent eps just played off that same thing. The girl and the boy interacting on the hill was the funniest moments in the show, but they did it so much it became played-out for me.

A lot of the rest of the jokes felt forced. As if someone came up to me and said, "Hey, i'm gonna tell you this joke!" They would set up obvious joke scenes where I knew what the joke was, and when it was coming, so i kinda just waited for it. And when it came, i gave it the "heh~"

Comparatively, Nichijou's comedy, for the most part, felt natural - well, natural to the show's context. It more felt like these characters were just living their lives. And because of that, i got to see more of all the characters and develop connections to them. You'd get sentimental, funny, side-tide bits, etc about all sorts of characters. And because its wasn't always set up as, "Let me tell you this joke", and more, "Watch these characters live their wild lives", i felt they were able to deliver a more diverse, natural, and unexpected experience. It was like hanging out with friends where we're not purposefully telling jokes to one-another ,but just doing impromptu things that just happen to be funny. And that randomness, that unexpected element, is what give the situation more impact.

So that, as well as me feeling a lot more connected to nichijou's characters than in nichibro, is what makes Nichijou's comedy a lot more funny for me than you're average slap stick

cajunator

Banned
K-ON is lovely. A rare display of walking that delicate line between delightful infatuation and subliminal fanwank. The moe moe scene with Mio does come to mind however.

Azunyan was made to masturbate over though.

Its funny that Azunyan is exactly the kind of character I usually like, yet I can't stand her.

Soma

I got to the Armor Suit dude episode of Katanagatari and got bored with it at that point. Maybe I'll finish the show at some point.

However I did love Steins;Gate but that's probably more to do with the source material for me. It's not a pretty show but it was a pretty damn enjoyable adaption (I still need to finish the VN).

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Good writing, average everything else.

Too bad I don't like the art in the manga all that much either... which is why I'd want Jormungand to be a movie. lol

Dresden

You're a monster.

Katanagatari is bestgatari. I don't even like nisioisin, I thought both Bake and Nise were bad. Katana is a fun watch though.

I could have enjoyed it if it wasn't so bloated. Cut the length of each episode by half, cut down on the endless chatter (I mean I know this is nisio but we can dream), and it'd be easier to overlook the other faults...

At least the art isn't hideous like Jormungand, though.

sonicmj1

Robotic;Notes 2 first five minutes

Gah can someone please take this dude's phone and shove it up his

Doesn't happen, sadly.

But fortunately,

Robotics;Notes 3

Thank god the protagonist stops being a total jerk, at least for the moment.

I'm glad they moved quickly from the end of the last episode into the robot tournament. I remember that part taking longer in the VN, and it was pretty boring, but they get into the action quickly here. My one regret is that they didn't have more of Kaito putting the first opponent on tilt, but it's not really necessary, I guess.

ijX2O8enW23iP.png

When reading through the VN demo, I didn't pick up on the meaning of all the goddesses whatever, so I thought his name was Mr. Player Desu. Katakana is tough sometimes.

The action in this episode was actually really well done, in a way. The fighters aren't supposed to be incredibly powerful or mobile, and I thought it struck a good balance of making them seem like toy robots while still moving with confidence and strength.

I wonder how Kaito got the Broadcasting Club to do him a favor.

I get the feeling that all the stuff involving Aki's sister and the organization and so on is going to suck, but I guess I won't know until I see it.

The end of episode 3 is the end of the demo, and they seem to have done a good enough job adapting some pretty bland material. I'll stick around and see how it develops.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka is the best KyoAni show.

An argument could be made for the latter half of Hyouka being the best.
The first half is easily the worst.
Misaki comes into the picture along with Irisu and the show improved dramatically.
Also, stuff actually happened.
Unless mundane mysteries about locked doors and ice cream are exciting.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Kurisu's hair color in the anime still baffles me.

Much rage was had when I first found out.
I think having to reproduce that "filter" effect in anime might have been either too difficult or too costly.
I guess you'll have to be our canary, then.

Gray Fox is absolved of all its sins. Upgrade totalton.
Completely disagree. It really gives the game a unique look. I love the art in the visual novel, it's one of the best parts about the game.

Branduil

Robotics;Notes 2

Okay, so halfway through the episode he stops being a completely irredeemable slug. The Robot CGI is surprisingly good. It reminds me of Time of Eve in that they make a real effort to make the linework and shading look 2D, and they attempt to animate it with weight.

And apparently this just turned into a KEY show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think having to reproduce that "filter" effect in anime might have been either too difficult or too costly.

Only the most talented studios like GoHands are capable of cheaply and effortlessly applying filters to their anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom