• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess OP/ED ranking time?

Great OPs:
1. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
2. Code Breaker
3. Magi
4. Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
5. PSYCHO-PASS

Great EDs:
1. Code Breaker
2. PSYCHO-PASS
3. Wooser no Sonohi Gurashi

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Are the goggles surgically implanted lenses at this point?

More like Lasik! :lol

The twist is, he never wore goggles at all!
:SDBurton

You and your "peasant yuri"! lol
(Thanks Ultima :p)

Cevhk.gif

You'll be getting yours too Ultimadrago!

My OP Ranking:

Psycho-Pass
Jojo
Magi
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Kamisama
K
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Robotics;Notes
Zetsuen no Tempest (turrible)

ED Ranking:
Jojo
Psycho-Pass
Magi

Dresden

I hate Zetsuen's OP (The song) sound like gibberish, what the hell is spirit inspiration?

After Blood-C's unique amalgam of languages, I can take anything.

Genkai sewashinai Why I must be bleeding?
Nigerenai merankorii
Genkai agaiteru hakkyou sunzen Because it will never end
J’ai plus rien a croire
Cette vie qu’est-ce qu’il y a a voir?
Kanawanai this suffering world!

As Engrish, Zetsuen's op isn't bad at all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Best OP for me is Polar Bear Café for both visuals and music. I like the way it brings all the previous episodes together.
JoJo and Chuunibyou are runner ups.

Best ED is Chuunibyou Lite of course. Accept no substitutes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
*sniffle* Beautiful.

Come to think of it, don't some of the concepts in Blasty sound like they could come straight out of K-n-K philosophy? I mean,
sacrificing the technological achievements of mankind to some kind of nature-god
? That has all sorts of crossover potential.

Jex

This weeks award for a low-budget animation sequence that was nevertheless fitting in context was once again won by David Productions:

jojo4.gif

Haunting.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
But then it would have spilled from the glass...into his stomach.

Nah. Spilling refers to all delicious drinks that miss my mouth. If my Maker's Mark falls directly out of its bottle onto my shirt it had been spilt. If it falls directly out if its bottle into my mouth (which it does most of the time) it has been drunk. I'd wager that drinking is not a form of spilling, since the prerequisite - out if mouth - has not been met.

Nafe

It is kind of disappointing how PGSM's collection of vocal songs doesn't really live up to the anime. Of course, the s1 songs are pretty blah too but from R on the anime related sons had a ton going for them. Anyway, Sakura Fubuki is also the one I like the most. Sometimes I listen to Hama Chisaki's Yakusoku, but then that's really about it.

Fun fact: C'est La Vie is autotuned.

I haven't taken a look at all the songs yet but I looked up Yakusoku and it seems like a good one too. Speaking of Hama Chisaki, I really like her other civilian look she has for this story arc. Her appearance seems to change the most when going from her regular everyday look to her Senshi form. Sawai Miyuu, for example, looks the same just with different hair. Komatsu Ayaka maybe looks the next bit different with her wig and makeup, such as the lipstick, too.

I didn't realize C'est La Vie was autotuned though. I haven't really listened to any songs of that sort but when I have heard one it seemed to have a very obvious or distinctive mechanical sound to it. I don't recall hearing that with C'est La Vie so I'll have to remember that the next time I hear it.

Haha, I dunno either. Foley gone wrong? Really bad effect choices? An actual helicopter was outside the set and they had to go with it?

Yeah, I'm thinking now it was either an odd effect noise or one got picked up in recording and just left.

Really weird way to
build up to the line used in the manga.

Ah, okay. They do call back to it at the end of the episode for the reveal part but ,yeah, it did come across as a little strange and didn't put her in the best light.

Loli finds a way.

I've seen the episode now and I think it will take some getting used to seeing that character portrayed in that style. In the anime it at least had the "was it all a dream or not" thing. I guess for the manga too, as I think that story was adapted from one of the side stories of the manga from what I've read.

Green > Purple > Black > Yellow

Sorry, but this is kind of confusing. Are you going by the girls hair colour or kimono colour? There's no black kimono colour but there's also no purple hair colour either. Green and purple would either be the same person or green and black. Plus you only have four entries but there are five girls?...

Jex

imo the garish colour palette is more offensive than the animation

yes i know araki likes fabulous colours it doesn't make his taste any less shitty

Well, manga is black and white so his madness can't taint the real world too much. In all honesty I've gotten used to the colour palette by this point, it's really the least of the shows problems.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Just providing example

fxpex.jpg

I get the feeling that these colors would have worked better in the era of ink and cel animation when they could have had that extra level of warmth that seems so elusive in digital productions. Part of the JoJo anime's problem is that everything is way too bright and clean.

Alternately, it's just David ignoring the nuances of the original art and slapping Easter Egg shades on everything when that's not quite the original color palette.

Jex

[Getter Robo Armageddon]

I suppose this show deserved a few more words than I've allotted to it thus far. For those not in the know, which I assume is pretty much everyone GRA is a thirteen episode OVA from 1998. It's part of the Getter Robo series of works, Getter Robo being a popular super robot franchise created by Go Nagai in the early 70's. If you're thinking about watching this don't be worried if you don't know anything about Getter Robo - it won't really affect your enjoyment of the show. As with most Go Nagai shows the plot isn't that complicated - bad aliens called Invaders are trying to do something bad and the good guys have to stop them. With giant robots. Oh there's lots of ridiculous twists and turns along the way but none of that is particularly important.

Weirdly enough GRA is actually a sequel to an audio drama that was never animated in the first place, so there's practically no way for the average viewer to know all the backstory beforehand. This isn't the only Imagawa directed work that's a sequel to something that was never animated in the first place - Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is exactly the same in this regard.

As I've said above, the plot isn't particularly important with most super robot shows. The important things tend to be: are the characters memorable? Is the pacing acceptable? Are the fights interesting? Is the animation good? Is the music fitting? Do you feel excited while watching the show? With regards to this particular series I can generally answer "yes" to all the questions posted above, but only really under the cowardly label of 'for a super robot show'. That's because this show is unashamedly and unreserved a very simple show about robots punching bad guys until they explode. It has very little appeal outside of people who are already interested in that kind of thing.

So lets assume, for a moment, that you are interested in that kind of thing or else you wouldn't be bothering to read this review. Therefore I can briefly speak about what makes this series so memorable for a super-robot work, of which there are many. I think the most obvious thing to discuss is the dark brutality of the GRA world and characters. Brutal, gruesome death occurs in nearly every battle with the semi-organic Invaders and the body-horror aspect of fighting with a species that can absorb your body is played with to great effect later in this series. There's no hold back here and the show really revels in Go Nagai's childish love of gore and dark, psychotic characters (sometimes the main characters!) doing dark, psychotic things.

The character and vehicle designs are memorable but the animation quality is, sadly, extremely variable. Sometimes it will look movie-quality for one particular cut an then drop down immediately.

Overall it's kind of a work that's only really going to appeal to fans of super-robot stuff. However, if you do have a passing interest in Super Robot stuff you should definitely consider adding this to your list because it's only 13 episodes for cripes sake. It wont take you that long

Sorry, but this is kind of confusing. Are you going by the girls hair colour or kimono colour? There's no black kimono colour but there's also no purple hair colour either. Green and purple would either be the same person or green and black. Plus you only have four entries but there are five girls?...

Hair color. People were complaining when I was using their actual names before.
Green = Gankyo
Purple = Tetora
Black = Kukuru
Yellow = Kigurumi
And I say purple only because they mentioned purple. Looks like brown to me, but I guess I can see where there coming from.
Marii was left out because of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom