• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

code breaker 2:

CZYYC.png

/swoon

So as someone whose experience with Gundam is limited to the first three films, what else is recommended to watch? I'm guessing Zeta Gundam, but should I watch the series or the films? What should I watch from beyond the 80s stuff?

Dresden

So as someone whose experience with Gundam is limited to the first three films, what else is recommended to watch? I'm guessing Zeta Gundam, but should I watch the series or the films? What should I watch from beyond the 80s stuff?

Not a gundam expert or anything, but War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team, and Turn A Gundam should be prioritized I think. I remember enjoying SEED as well, but that can come after assuming your interest holds out.

fertygo

Watch Zeta, ZZ (The series) and then CCA Movie.. then you can venture to the various OVA.

Mandoric

Banned

Watch Zeta, the TV and not the movies. Then watch or spoil yourself on ZZ depending on your patience for kiddie hijinks in the beginning/ability to compartmentalize Zeta characters growing and changing offscreen without those 15 hours of viewing time. Then watch CCA.

Dresden's suggestions are good after that; maybe not SEED right away because it's basically first Gundam retold for '00s kids and you already know first Gundam, and maybe not ∀ right away because it's kind of a summation of everything which came before. Stardust Memory is extremely flashy even though a lot of people dislike the characters and it's the first big case of Retcon Creep in the series.
Wing is extremely popular in the US, especially if you're into cute boys doing cute things and/or space politics. The core fandom tends to think of it as 00 done better at this point.

G is excellent, but it's the first time Gundam was "a show with a white, V-finned giant robot" rather than "a show about these 50 or 75 years in a certain SF continuity". Imagawa is also an extremely strong-willed director.
What this means is that it's by far the furthest anyone has run with Gundam, and has very little connection to anything else in the franchise other than some visual nods and the same hit tropes every other robot show since '79 has copied -anyway-. You should definitely watch it, but it's something that stands completely on its own merit rather than being part of "understanding Gundam".

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22: You Shall (Not) Pass
Anno you magnificent bastard. I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever say anything bad about you again, nor will I compare you to that hack George Lucas. Your trolling is on a level way above simple retconning. Five out of five Shinjis kicking butt.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I'll start with Zeta and move onto CCA and Dresden's recommendations afterward. That will probably take me some time to get through, so I guess I'll reevaluate things after that. If I get too deep into this, my backlog really will grow expediently.

Is SEED the Macross Frontier of Gundam or am I getting the wrong impression?

Dresden

robo note - 03

Enjoyed this one. It's uneven as hell but tiny robots beating each other up is pretty fun, and the way the douchelead mans up and actually does things is nice, too, after the apathy displayed for 1.9 episodes.

Not really liking the obvious hints at tragic pasts and conspiracies and such, but it is what it is.

Didn't enjoy the introduction of HACKAH ANARU.

cjkeats

Sword Art Online: Episodes 1-5
Interesting concept for sure. Watching it knowing it becomes terrible seems like a bad idea, but I've had worse. This is the show I've had the hardest time avoiding spoilers for so I kinda already have an idea of what's going to happen.
Will continue to watch based on the promise of sis-con, and we already got some hints of it when he met Keiko.

Hanamaru Kindergarten: Episodes 1 &2
This is adorable and hilarious.

Mandoric

Banned
Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I'll start with Zeta and move onto CCA and Dresden's recommendations afterward. That will probably take me some time to get through, so I guess I'll reevaluate things after that. If I get too deep into this, my backlog really will grow expediently.

Is SEED the Macross Frontier of Gundam or am I getting the wrong impression?

That's a pretty accurate comparison. Far flashier, more teen angst and fewer twisted echoes of WW2 storytime, made deliberately to press reset and connect the original basic plot with modern tastes.

Defuser

Holy shit Kouga all done in 2 lol (i haven't watched 4 yet), they want to start Balbadd in episode 8 lol? Hmm.. I guess it's better that way, Yoshino probably needs the extra eps lol.
Yeah, the balbadd arc is quite long which is why they have to cut or change something but frankly I don't mind because we all know those who have read the manga are tolerating the show now because of the balbadd arc because it's just too good.

Lain

Muv-luv Alternative Total Eclipse 17

I fail to see what the girls in this show see in Yuuya to decide to throw themselves at him at every corner.
The starting flashback was nice in setting certain things, but right after that showing the last bits of episode 16 ending seemed way too cheap to me.

Mawaru Penguindrum 6

Interesting episode where some details come to light
Ringo had a sister that died?! That brings some context even to her parents' divorce and explains the curry day, but it doesn't explains how the mother went from so obsessed to basically act like the curry day simply doesn't matter.
Then there is this whole project M, which is both something Ringo is trying to complete as well as these new "bad" guys. I wonder if it's the same.

I'm starting to pity Ringo.

No. I really loved DtB2.
I'd say the same thing, if not for that ending
that negated me watching the whole season because it's like nothing ever happened.

Defuser

Magi ep 4

*Get shot by an arrow*

*覗いてみよう 指望遠鏡...*

ED song officially suck ass.

cajunator

Banned
So! Chuunibyou. Best show this season, or best show this season? I honestly haven't laughed this much since... well, any anime ever.

Second best show. Tonari is the best. Chuunibyo is by FAR the cutest though. Not even a contest.
AU!

Yeah Hanamaru was a lot better than I thought it was going to be going into it.
kdG1l.gif

Hanamaru is an adorable little miracle. Connoisseurs of Cute need to watch it.

Hair color. People were complaining when I was using their actual names before.
Green = Gankyo
Purple = Tetora
Black = Kukuru
Yellow = Kigurumi
And I say purple only because they mentioned purple. Looks like brown to me, but I guess I can see where there coming from.
Marii was left out because of reasons.

I can see why you personally don't like Marii, but she's best girl anyway.

Gunslinger Girl 13

That was certainly an interesting way to end the season

I suppose it's something of a testament to this show's slow pace and putting action generally on the backburner that the season should end with the girls singing Beethoven's 9th while in a field watching shooting stars, all made very bittersweet by simultaneously having Marco read Angelica the pasta story while she died (she did die, right?) in the hospital.

Pretty bizarre that a show about cyborg girls who are part of a terrorist-thwarting government agency should have as little a focus on action as this one. This really isn't a complaint, however. I thought that the show benefited from focusing more on the relationships between the girls themselves and their handlers.

Overall, I enjoyed watching Season 1 of Gunslinger Girl. People on here have told me to skip Season 2. Is there a particular reason for this? I believe it was cajunator who said that they completely overhauled the writing staff. Did this affect the show negatively in any particular way?

Yes. Gunslinger Girl 2 is sad and pathetic. If it were standalone I'd say check it out, but it follows up on the first series so you would just be sorely disappointed in it.

How's Sword Art Online?

A miserable pile of secrets. I hope you enjoy excruciating pain.

Making faces narrower is unforgivable.

Once you go wideface, there is no suitable substitute.

I was so close to start watching season 2... thanks GAF!

I just start watching Cowboy Bebop for the very first time, hopefully it will be as fun as my friend claim it to be. My friend kinda forced me into watching it, since he said he will watch Denpa Teki na Kanojo if I start watching Bebop.

I stopped after 2 episodes since Panzer caught my attention......

Cowboy Bebop is a classic and there is a high possibility you will enjoy it.
However, it is extremely episodic and character depth is achieved through individual events, and not so much as a continuing story arc. It makes it very rewatchable though.

Not related to anything currently airing, but I finally got my new shelves put up in the house, and all my anime unboxed. So much more space than the old shelf at my apartment, even without the extra shelves (which I forgot to get).

Random nitpicking... go! :)

Really nice setup! I should take some new photos of my setup now that everything is all neat and orderly again. It looks more "presentable" I suppose you could say.

cajunator

Banned
Sekirei 1

Man fails college entrance exam for the 2nd time, has a girl fall from the sky onto him, ends up spending all his money feeding her, almost gets zapped by evil girls trying while trying to protect this girl he just met, gets a kiss from her, and then gets evicted from his apartment because he brought her home. Sucks to be this guy. At least he's got some tits now.

Hmm. Sekirei looks interesting. My friend asked if I owned the series because he wanted to watch it. Might have to consider.

Pool episode? Pool episode.

I was never really a fan of pool episodes. Probably one of my least favorite kinds. Not too excited for this episode.

Suite Precure - 02

So we're given some more backstory for the two girls and what caused their
previous breakup but not before some more drama due to
Kanade's lack of faith in Hibiki.
Funny enough it was a simple misunderstanding of where to meet during their everyday walk to school.
With the truth revealed their hearts once again joined as one and delivered a series of lines that were right up my alley. Goggle mode engaged!

Watching them fight as one was a real treat, but the almighty awesome was just around the corner:

You kidding me? They do some quickstep swag, hand holding, and nuzzling before setting up for their final move? Best Finishing Move EVER!

That transformation music alone makes me want to watch it, plus I love the artstyle a lot more than heartcatch. Animegaf seems to not like this one very much though. I wonder why?

iZWuhTWc7zPZc.gif

true suffering

#Wideface World Problems

Nendoroid Kanna up for pre-orders.

pT7QW.jpg

"I'll drink the tears away."

Other poses, etc.: http://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/2012/10/29/nendoroid-kanna-tanigawa/

Oh fucking HNNNNNNNGH.
Although I want a normal scale figure of Kanna with cat ears. Does such a thing exist?
Probably not :(

y2dvd

So I'm not much into anime but I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop and thought it was pretty amazing. What other shows are like it? Also heard there was going to be a live action movie of it. What happened with that?

Besides Zeta...I'd say X, Turn A, 08th MS Team, and Unicorn. Those are my favorites at least. I would certainly avoid Destiny and AGE.

cajunator

Banned
So I'm not much into anime but I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop and thought it was pretty amazing. What other shows are like it? Also heard there was going to be a live action movie of it. What happened with that?

There isn't much like Cowboy Bebop specifically but if you like funny space shows with a crew like that you would really enjoy stuff like Nadesico and Vandread and Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Outlaw Star.

Actually Outlaw Star is probably the closest to it.

BluWacky

How could you say such a horrible thing?!

I would guess that Defuser's level of tolerance for monstrous Japanese uber-groups of tweenage girls who can't sing very well is about the same as mine...

I don't think the song really suits the show, either. While both the OP and ED are kind of suited to the show lyrically, the ED "sounds" like it should be something to do with Aikatsu or Pretty Rhythm. Maybe if the animation had actually made reference to the whole finger telescope thing in the lyrics I would have liked it a bit more, but it's too obviously a pointless tie-in where the song has very little to do with anything.

duckroll

The Magi ED is awful. It's really just plain bad. Bad singers, bad lyrics, shitty tune, annoying sound, etc. I can't think of a single thing good about it. Definitely the worst ED out of all the shows I'm watching this season.

Edit: Gundam Wing rocks. I'll ask Heero to kill anyone who disagrees. :D

Uchip

Banned
There isn't much like Cowboy Bebop specifically but if you like funny space shows with a crew like that you would really enjoy stuff like Nadesico and Vandread and Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Outlaw Star.

Actually Outlaw Star is probably the closest to it.

only in terms of setting
something like samurai champloo is closer in style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom