• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nendoroid Kanna up for pre-orders.

pT7QW.jpg

"I'll drink the tears away."

Other poses, etc.: http://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/2012/10/29/nendoroid-kanna-tanigawa/

Very cute...might go for her. Not that I have space for even the nendos I'm already getting.

Besides Zeta...I'd say X, Turn A, 08th MS Team, and Unicorn. Those are my favorites at least. I would certainly avoid Destiny and AGE.

Everyone need to avoid gundam AGE at all costs ...

the gundam design , the plot , the music , the character design ..there is nothing to salvage..it's BAD

I assume seeing as it hasn't been mentioned that the view on Gundam Wing is bad? I liked it way back when it was on TV.

Gundam Wing is the best gundam, best cast and plot, lost track of how many fanfics Ive read of it. Since I think Wing is OOP, I hope someone picks it up and brings it out so I can have something other than the Bandai YouTube stream to watch it on.

Defuser

I would guess that Defuser's level of tolerance for monstrous Japanese uber-groups of tweenage girls who can't sing very well is about the same as mine...

I don't think the song really suits the show, either. While both the OP and ED are kind of suited to the show lyrically, the ED "sounds" like it should be something to do with Aikatsu or Pretty Rhythm. Maybe if the animation had actually made reference to the whole finger telescope thing in the lyrics I would have liked it a bit more, but it's too obviously a pointless tie-in where the song has very little to do with anything.

I never did like AKB or their knockoffs. And yeah Aniplex made a bad choice for using it for Magi, 100% doesn't fit at all.

Cwarrior

The Magi ED is awful. It's really just plain bad. Bad singers, bad lyrics, shitty tune, annoying sound, etc. I can't think of a single thing good about it. Definitely the worst ED out of all the shows I'm watching this season.

Edit: Gundam Wing rocks. I'll ask Heero to kill anyone who disagrees. :D

What makes it x100 worse is the episode ends with the awful idol music playing at the end,it always catches me by surprise causing me to face palm while my ears die in pain :(

Jex

If you guys like Magi 4 you'll love the rest of the series as well as what comes afterwards, the "compression" done in the first 3 episodes pretty much assures enough time to give the big arc justice.

You can't guarantee that.

You don't know.

Don't lie to me!
Holy shit Kouga all done in 2 lol (i haven't watched 4 yet), they want to start Balbadd in episode 8 lol? Hmm.. I guess it's better that way, Yoshino probably needs the extra eps lol.
The implication from what you're all saying is that they're rushing through this arc too? I might as well just read the manga at this point.

Maedhros

The Magi ED is awful. It's really just plain bad. Bad singers, bad lyrics, shitty tune, annoying sound, etc. I can't think of a single thing good about it. Definitely the worst ED out of all the shows I'm watching this season.

It was made because the op was so good that they need to make something bad, to balance the show. Then they made the shitty ED and shitty opening arc.

Jex

Oh, my Madoka BD's have arrived. Time to see with my own eyes how many changes SHAFT made for this release.

cjkeats

Gundam Wing rocks. I'll ask Heero to kill anyone who disagrees. :D

I'd say it's good, I just don't mention it as much because it is discussed so often relative to other Gundam. Also, see duckroll's warning :D.

Gundam Wing is the best gundam, best cast and plot, lost track of how many fanfics Ive read of it. Since I think Wing is OOP, I hope someone picks it up and brings it out so I can have something other than the Bandai YouTube stream to watch it on.

Whew, I thought I was crazy there for a bit. I've never seen it subbed, but Crunchyroll got it, so I may watch it there. Don't know if I have the attention anymore for something over the regular 26 episodes though.

NeonZ

That transformation music alone makes me want to watch it, plus I love the artstyle a lot more than heartcatch. Animegaf seems to not like this one very much though. I wonder why?

The isssue with Suite is that... well, it's just kind of bland. It doesn't suffer from Smile's story reset issue, and has some progression in the background throughout after the first 10 or so episodes, but it also doesn't have as many light hearted episodes without pointless drama. Its fighting scenes have more presence than in Smile, but they never get very good before the final battle.

At the time it aired, people specifically compared it to Heartcatch too, and that really didn't do it any favors. Suite has humor, but it's less "in your face" than Heartcatch's. Suite has battles, but they're consistently worse than Hearcatch's and, unlike Smile, they don't have occasional stand out battles. Suite has drama, but nothing that really compares to the darker parts of Heartcatch, mostly just the two main Cures fighting for some reason every other episode... Even the drama with more weight wasn't executed very well though.

Jex

So as someone whose experience with Gundam is limited to the first three films, what else is recommended to watch? I'm guessing Zeta Gundam, but should I watch the series or the films? What should I watch from beyond the 80s stuff?

I know this is just echoing earlier comments in this thread, but the most logical thing to do is watch Zeta TV, read up on ZZ's plot and then watch Char's Counterattack because that concludes the main Universal Century plot-arc that began in the original TV series. Personally I don't think much of Zeta in any form but it still has many fans and it's extremely important plot wise.

Beyond that I feel that the best works to consume are the OVA's 08th MSTeam and Gundam War in the Pocket. They are far shorter, and far better, than any of the Universal Century TV shows (in my opinion). They tell much smaller, more personal stories than any of the main shows.

G Gundam and ∀ Gundam are two TV shows that I recommend you watch but they're fairly different from the rest of the franchise. G Gundam is more of 'hot blooded' super robot show and ∀ Gundam is, well, really weird. Both are recommended but they aren't for everyone.

I would certainly buy any English-subbed BD's released...even at great cost :/.

Losing Bandai Entertainment does suck. Came THAT CLOSE to an official US Turn A release.

duckroll

The implication from what you're all saying is that they're rushing through this arc too? I might as well just read the manga at this point.

I really don't think "rushing" is the actual problem with any sort of adaptation. A capable adaptation is one where the actual length of the original material does not matter because the adapted material feels complete in itself. As long as that rule remains true, how fast or slow it is going compared to the source has little bearing on the quality of the adapted work.

In terms of the number of chapters actually being "adapted" into an episode, ep4 isn't any different from the first 3 episodes. They're moving at about 5 chapters per episode. But given how ep4 feels totally different from the first 3 episodes in terms of actual pace and tone in the episode itself, I think that's a clear sign that the actual difference is in the writing and direction, and how the adaptation is being handled.

They didn't slow the adaptation down in ep4, it just got better. Probably because Yoshino didn't write it. Even if Yoshino has a ton of episodes for the Balbaad arc, if he's a bad writer, it's hard to be optimistic about the results. Hopefully he finds himself busy with some other bad show, and other writers continue working on the show instead. :p

Better than 00 S2.
And can still find some good things in 00 S2 .. Age had a horrible vilain, horrible dialogs and an ultra fast pace . those are unmatched IMO.

I liked it, though I guess I just like the younger aged characters for mains. But I probably wont suggest Age since its probably really of really niche appeal.
"Niche" as ?

gundam fans have spoken with their wallets ..it wasn't for them..
All the young main characters were there with a lot of stupidity.
"hey let me trade my familly heritage and more than a century of gundam secrets because you're nice mister !!"

-------------
Joshiraku - 12

Excellent episode : Everyone is self aware and doesn't take itself seriously ..i think i got all the references this time :)

uf43Nl.jpg

After jungle wars .... ninjas !!

Did anyone notice the moutain background during the first part ?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I like when people talk about Gundam Wing because Gundam Wing is the only Gundam I've ever watched.

I really don't think "rushing" is the actual problem with any sort of adaptation. A capable adaptation is one where the actual length of the original material does not matter because the adapted material feels complete in itself. As long as that rule remains true, how fast or slow it is going compared to the source has little bearing on the quality of the adapted work.

In terms of the number of chapters actually being "adapted" into an episode, ep4 isn't any different from the first 3 episodes. They're moving at about 5 chapters per episode. But given how ep4 feels totally different from the first 3 episodes in terms of actual pace and tone in the episode itself, I think that's a clear sign that the actual difference is in the writing and direction, and how the adaptation is being handled.

They didn't slow the adaptation down in ep4, it just got better. Probably because Yoshino didn't write it. Even if Yoshino has a ton of episodes for the Balbaad arc, if he's a bad writer, it's hard to be optimistic about the results. Hopefully he finds himself busy with some other bad show, and other writers continue working on the show instead. :p

He does have Vivid Red Operation starting in January...

And can still find some good things in 00 S2 .. Age had a horrible vilain, horrible dialogs and an ultra fast pace . those are unmatched IMO.

"Niche" as ?

gundam fans have spoken with their wallets ..it wasn't for them..

I thought there is a small sect that did buy the mobile suits as well as there were a few thousand discs sold so, it did at least appeal to some people.

I honestly found Wing little boring. It felt like nothing happened during middle part of series. Still it was decent at least.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
A ya'lls monday best be good I know mine is bcuz i just had reses 4 breakbast and some JOOCE aight im out smell ya l8r

p.s. Watch Jormungand, even if it a hatewatch, so we can talk about it in here.

I can see why you personally don't like Marii, but she's best girl anyway.

It's not just because she lacks talent that I don't like her as much, but because she's kinda annoying. I enjoy every time she gets punched in the face.
Hmm. Sekirei looks interesting. My friend asked if I owned the series because he wanted to watch it. Might have to consider.

As of right now, it seems like any other superpower harem show.
I was never really a fan of pool episodes. Probably one of my least favorite kinds. Not too excited for this episode.

Well they seem to visit a shrine too.

cajunator

Banned
It's not just because she lacks talent that I don't like her as much, but because she's kinda annoying. I enjoy every time she gets punched in the face.

As of right now, it seems like any other superpower harem show.

Well they seem to visit a shrine too.

I kind of like superpower haremshits.

Grzi

Magi - 04

They did a better job with this arc, as they should, since this story is much more important for Aladdin's character development than the first one. I really do have high hopes for the Balbadd arc, everything points to them wanting to do a good job with it, and it's really hard to fuck it up. Unless they cheap out on the animation budget, which would make me a very sad man. This episode looked worse than the first three (still looked good), but I thought that was a good move, since there really weren't any scenes worthy of some sweet sakuga. Next episode should look great though, and supposedly (manga spoiler)
we'll get to see Hakuei's djinn equip? Is that confirmed?

fertygo

Code Breaker ep 4
Now I know what's Toki's ability is.......bad cgi manipulation.

Eh I thought the usage of CGi in CB are really cool, despite the quality.. Like the bad CG car that explode in the air on eps 3, even that look cool.
Irie sure know how to make it look good. In fact all of action and effect in CB are well directed.

OceanBlue

I kind of like superpower haremshits.

Mondaiji next season might be kinda like that, except the MC might be more useful than the one in Sekirei. The staff doesn't seem very strong, unfortunately. Diomedea and the director of Campione are working on it, but the director also worked on Nanoha A's so you never know!

I'm still hopeful for it, lol.

/XX/

Better look at the character designs and setting 'per se' for Little Witch Academia, this part was presented on the recorded streaming from the CREATIVE MARKET TOKYO 2012 event that duckroll linked to recently:

リトルウィッチアカデミア 設定 | Facebook
http://ja-jp.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.549162381775977.145030.281043505254534&type=3&theater

As you can see wrote there:

リトルウィッチアカデミア 設定 | Facebook said:
For we will be releasing our very first trailer soon!
No solid ETA yet, but we are aiming for some time around November!

Soon...

OceanBlue

Better look at the character designs and setting 'per se' for Little Witch Academia, this part was presented on the recorded streaming from the CREATIVE MARKET TOKYO 2012 event that duckroll linked to recently:

リトルウィッチアカデミア 設定 | Facebook
http://ja-jp.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.549162381775977.145030.281043505254534&type=3&theater

As you can see wrote there:

Soon...

Is this the ufotable movie? I really like the character designs. The characters seem like standard archetypes for a 3-person group, but I like those archetypes so I don't mind at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom