• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

It's weird with all the controversy revolving around episode five of Shinsekai Yori and how a lot of the complaints seem to be how 'bad' it looks (from what I've noticed at least) but I honestly thought the episode looked fine as far as the art goes. The backgrounds were detailed and the interesting color pallete kind of accentuated that dream-like atmosphere they were going for. Probably the only discrepancies, besides the stilted animations, were the noticeably different character models for this episode. They don't look bad at all in my opinion but it's still weird given that the look of the show has been consistent for every other episode.

The actual direction and the (mostly) incoherent narrative is another story though...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
.hack//Sekai no Mukou ni
This looks like a wonzo special.

And I do find it amusing that SAO will replace .hack as the "MMO" thing that people think of now. lol

Nah it's okay, Aoto has a headstart but Shou's showing his skills like a peacock fluttering their feathers looking for a mate.
Let's hope so, for Shou's sake.

"rips open envelope, finds salt inside"

I prefer the words mundane and realistic
Return to sender!

wonzo

Banned
Smile PreCure! 37
smileprecure37.jpg
smileprecure37a.jpg
smileprecure37b.jpg
smileprecure37c.jpg

There is nothing more horrifying than the inherent failures of democracy as this episode clearly shows. Next episode's gonna be just about the cutest thing ever.

My Little Monster 5
tumblr_mcofr4N9uU1rao0vlo1_500.gif

If only I ever got the chance to never have to sit in the front of the class, though her teacher must be clueless if she doesnt notice that. Anyway, Yuuzan was amazing this episode and especially with the "Sweets" moment. So sweet and awesome during the post credit pre rooster thing being excited about the fruity stuff.

Dont like how the plot turned out though
Rather they work towards rebuilding and enhancing their brotherly bond than Haru trying to stay away. I think they could work out together, if Haru were more willing. I just dont want to see Yuuzan go away

megane-iincho made the right suggestion, I wouldnt mind seeing megane Haru.

cajunator

Banned
Hanamaru Kindergarden 1-12

Wow. This is probably the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Have you seen a Little Snow Fairy Sugar? Thats pretty high up there too.

I was trying to study for a calculus exam earlier, but all that was going on in my brain was the YurYuri ending theme. Thanks a lot, anime.

Speaking of YuruYuri, I was planning on taking a hiatus from the show after watching the first season, but I was thinking of what I should watch tonight, and all I could think of was more YuruYuri. Should I just hop right back on the YuruYuri train?

Yes, you should. That train goes very enjoyable places.

Nothing really, it's pretty standard in terms of presentation:

I'm looking forward to watching it, because other than it's reception, I have no idea what I'm in for. Here's hoping it lives up to the AnimeGAF hype!

Well that would explain why its so cheap. The Us LE version has posters, cards, art booklet, soundtrack CD and a nifty box for each volume. I'm happy to pay more for schwag :D

And yes, its an amazing series and well worth your time.

Mandoric

Banned
Oh wow, that happened? I heard that something happened with the director, but I thought it was just the backlash to episode 4.

Nope! But the new always has to outdo the old.

A producer called 2ch an anus on Mixi (basically Facebook), and 2ch didn't like it.

Joe Molotov

Smile PreCure! 37

There is nothing more horrifying than the inherent failures of democracy as this episode clearly shows. Next episode's gonna be just about the cutest thing ever.

Why does disguised Red Ogre have a Game & Watch? They must not have very up to date technology in the Bad End Kingdom.

Syrinx

Okay, it would appear that my YuruYuri hiatus will last less than half a week, or when I'll be able to watch. Busy studying today... and poking my nose in GAF in between.

Ginga e Kickoff 25
tumblr_mcolemYq2R1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Wowwowwow wowwowwow wowowowowow

Good futsal match especially when our favorite song kicked in. Really enjoyed the episode especially the teamwork between Kota and Aoto, perfect, and then Tagi got me all teared up.

The new ED is amazing, overwhelming feelings of nostalgia at some of the scenes, cant believe theyve come so far, hopefully they do become number one in "ginga".

pokemon black and white victini movie (black version).

victini is pretty dope. The lack of a real villain kinda dampers the movie somewhat though, And they really need to find some more legendary gimmicks outside of tiny mischievous pokeman and big angry ones that shoot beams.

white version

lmao it's the same fucking movie, but they swapped which dragon is good and bad. Biggest scam in history (well the battle animations are unique I guess!).

victini is pretty dope. The lack of a real villain kinda dampers the movie somewhat though, And they really need to find some more legendary gimmicks outside of tiny mischievous pokeman and big angry ones that shoot beams.

white version

lmao it's the same fucking movie, but they swapped which dragon is good and bad. Biggest scam in history (well the battle animations are unique I guess!).

Well they also swapped around the locations as well. That takes effort!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

white version

Sounds like modern Pokemon, alright!

jbug617

Banned
Ginga e Kickoff 25
tumblr_mcolemYq2R1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Wowwowwow wowwowwow wowowowowow

Good futsal match especially when our favorite song kicked in. Really enjoyed the episode especially the teamwork between Kota and Aoto, perfect, and then Tagi got me all teared up.

The new ED is amazing, overwhelming feelings of nostalgia at some of the scenes, cant believe theyve come so far, hopefully they do become number one in "ginga".

yeah the show has come a long way. You know what show I miss is Area no Kishi. It was getting pretty good before they ended it abruptly.

Zeroth

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 1-4

jojos-bizarre-adventure-dios-grand-hat-460x258.jpg

He was fabulous even before it was cool.

Perhaps I'm a terrible person for starting this now, but better late than never. Ahem, I'm really enjoying the show. Really, a great mix of manliness and fighting stuff, along with a tad bit of humour.

8WzXE.jpg

Nothing personal, mr.
rock

My only complain is that "yudada" wasn't quite "yudada" :(

Maedhros

Saint Seiya Omega 30

Oh god. It's so good seeing these pussies saints being crushed. God, the Gold Saints are properly made, they are so fucking boss. It's not like the old series, where they simply let the cast pass or "miracles" happened. They are getting beaten like bitches.

So good. Franky Taurus is best Taurus I've seen yet, even though he's a bit Sadist.

Soma

Black★Rock Shooter (OVA)

iACR6VcME5Dk9.jpg
iOIgyhmCdWPgE.jpg

An enjoyable OVA with some very nice animation unfortunately marred by the lack of a conclusion.

Pretty straightforward story at its surface dealing with the friendship between these two girls as obstacles cause them to grow apart but what's different here is the seemingly parallel universe where many of the action scenes take place. For a 50 minute OVA the pacing isn't bad but it doesn't leave much room for development for the main characters and the ending feels more like a transition to a new chapter. Even one of main characters that was introduced seems to have had some hidden dilemma but unfortunately was not touched upon at all by the end. The "parallel world" and its inhabits aren't clearly explained either but what's really unfortunate for this story is that there no second half to this particular OVA and what we were given was... this.

iAK7xjYkw6bAF.jpg
ib2HawTBDXarIV.jpg

The action scenes taking place in the parallel world were definitely the highlights. Lots of well animated fight scenes in dark post-apocalyptic environments. There were a few rough moments but for the most part I thought a lot of the fight scenes were very fluid and well choreographed. The hand drawn animations were very appreciated with a few minor awkward CG scenes. The cuts between the 'real' world and the other world sometimes felt a bit too sudden, by the end kind of just me wanting an edited version of just the other world scenes. Luckily the story wasn't bad but instead hindered by the short run-time and the lack of a cohesive ending.

All in all, I enjoyed this but man I just wish there was a good ending to this instead of the TV series because now I'm just morbidly curious as to how the TV series concludes the story.

Ugh. Oh well.

Also, some fight scene gifs (I've been practicing making my own animated gifs lately so I hope they're not too bad):

Gif I
Gif II

yeah the show has come a long way. You know what show I miss is Area no Kishi. It was getting pretty good before they ended it abruptly.

I wonder what are the chances of it continuing. I occasionally just think back to it. I guess Ill need to start clearing up time to go through the manga. Its just going from anime to manga is such a hard switch.

Defuser

Ixion Saga ep 4
All these ball jokes is getting stale and getting run to the fucking ground. You don't need a wbole damn episode for that. Gintama does it better anyways.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's all about the execution!
No show has done it right yet!
(Oh snap!)

I think "incest, pedophilia" describes at least 50% of all anime.
That's Japan-kun for you!

Kayoswatch Day 8

T-Minus 112 hours and 40 minutes and counting until SAOturday.
Well that was fast. :p

----

Smile Precure 37

I quite like the doubling in this episode:

byCwul.jpg

npAOSl.jpg

Same exact shot, but you know how she feels in each one.
(Also, anime eyes are so simplistic in their expressiveness. Just crinkle them a certain way and have them sparkle a bit and you can make someone look happy or sad.)

Of course, the rest of the episode makes absolutely no sense.
oIffjl.jpg

Dude just disappeared in front of the entire school and not one fuck was given. lol

I will say though, I was actually impressed that she gave a speech. Most of them, when someone gives an awesome "lifechanging" speech, the writers cut away because they know they don't have the actual skill required to write a "Yes We Can" type of speech that would sound inspiring. I'm not saying that Reika's speech was particularly inspiring, but I appreciate the fact that they actually wrote it rather than cut away to some crappy montage.

Also, I'm glad that "No homework" is a jokey campaign promise that they make in Japan too. Kids everywhere, hating homework equally. lol

One random question for the Precure experts here - are all Precures in junior high? I assume that's why real romance is not a thing for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom