• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Bakshi's Lord of the Rings was an awful mess. It's part of the reason the trilogy was considered unfilmable before Peter Jackson came along.

More Orc "rotoscoping": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oBvNFMt9Ic
BONUS FOOTAGE: Bakshi's vision of the Balrog

The only decent part of the movie was the score. At least Topcraft's Hobbit had some interesting art.

If the Balrog had wings and was already flying to get to Gandalf, why didn't he just fly OVER Gandalf?! Lol.

wonzo

Banned
HidaSketch x Hoshimittsu 12

ibdQqrYgYDyEGQ.gif

The truth of wide angle lenses... finally exposed! Anyways, this was a pretty nice and relaxing end to yet another incredivly enjoyable series of Hidamari Sketch. I'd definitely put x365 ahead of the original series with Hoshimittsu as a close second. Now, onto the specials and then I can finally start the new series!

hidasketchxh12.jpg

The worst rotoscoping ever will always be Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings, especially the "rotoscoped" Orcs(AKA actors in dumb costumes filmed through an awful filter).
Bakshi's Lord of the Rings was an awful mess. It's part of the reason the trilogy was considered unfilmable before Peter Jackson came along.

More Orc "rotoscoping": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oBvNFMt9Ic
BONUS FOOTAGE: Bakshi's vision of the Balrog

The only decent part of the movie was the score. At least Topcraft's Hobbit had some interesting art.
This is absolutely hilarious.

Branduil

If the Balrog had wings and was already flying to get to Gandalf, why didn't he just fly OVER Gandalf?! Lol.

The question of Balrogs having wings is the most contentious of all Tolkien debates. I'm not even joking.

Of course the Balrog never flies except in Bakshi's version, so it's mostly a moot point, LOL.

surely there was a suspense breaking anime moment or character
I just cant think of one right now

Yeah, up until now I counted 1.
From Harry, the moment he shot Brandon. But I was expecting something similar would happen, just not in that way. You don't kill your best friend for life just coz he raised a gun at cha, and he even tossed it away.

Btw whats up with the sudden change of Harry's voice actor in the sub.

duckroll

The question of Balrogs having wings is the most contentious of all Tolkien debates. I'm not even joking.

Of course the Balrog never flies except in Bakshi's version, so it's mostly a moot point, LOL.

This is a good example of little details which separate a good adaptation from a poor one. Even if wings or design elements which resemble wings are part of the creatures design, not drawing any attention to the creature's ability of flight would not create a sense of confusion for the viewer. Here, he goes out of his way to not only have very obvious wings on the Balrog, but he also has the Balrog fly towards Gandalf (who is standing in the middle of a stone bridge telling it that it cannot pass), and instead of flying over Gandalf, it just lands and fights him instead. Seriously. Fucking awful.

Branduil

This is a good example of little details which separate a good adaptation from a poor one. Even if wings or design elements which resemble wings are part of the creatures design, not drawing any attention to the creature's ability of flight would not create a sense of confusion for the viewer. Here, he goes out of his way to not only have very obvious wings on the Balrog, but he also has the Balrog fly towards Gandalf (who is standing in the middle of a stone bridge telling it that it cannot pass), and instead of flying over Gandalf, it just lands and fights him instead. Seriously. Fucking awful.

It's a pretty bad movie. I recommend it if you're ever in the mood for Viking Boromir, men in short shorts, and Frodo/Sam shipping.

If the balrog didn't fight Gandalf his bros woulda made fun of him in school.

He was the only one of his bros left, LOL.

Dresden

Yeah, but how would they know if he didn't fight Gandalf? The Balrog didn't even know Gandalf was sitting on his doorstep until Pippin dropped a rock on his head.

They probably just log into an website where they can chat anonymously. Poor guy just wanted something to brag about when he saw the humans.

Horizon 1

That was probably the most complex opening episode I've seen so far. All those names, political entities, organisations... They just threw you right into the middle of all that. I didn't do a lick of research on this show before watching this, so I wasn't even aware of the exact genre. I couldn't follow the ending narration at all. Something about humanity basically 'reliving' history, then the Dark Ages happen, and everything screws up? And now there's war between Divine States who are in different periods of time or something? I might need to rewatch this episode later.

The chase scene was exciting and it showed off everyone's powers a bit. Based on first impressions, I liked sensei the most. Tomi has waaaay too smug a smile.

Not immediately sold on this, I am.
LAte on this but you should continue ..i stopped too and now i think that was one of the big mistakes i did ... I can tell you , if you pay attention , there is a moments where everything just make sense , and from there is just non stop goodness .. the show is weirdly introduced because it's a necessary evil ( such a complex universe ) but at episodes 4-5 it's a real "blast" ( no pun intended )

Horizon is good ..most of the explanations are done correctly so it's just a matter of listening for the viewer.

Suite Precure - 10

Kanade helping the children practice for their recital was sweet. That blondie Ouji loser has got to go though, I don't want him confusing Kanade. >:I

On the plus side his involvement led to
Siren opening up more. More importantly, one of the minions, Bassdrum, has finally had enough of her wavering resolve and stripped her of her position as leader. Now wandering alone with no one to turn to, hopefully we're reaching the turning point where she becomes good and helps the duo in their fight against evil.

Suite Precure - 11

Cure Muse is such a badass! I want more of her! Moooooore!

funny now that sdburton watches this , i recall my moment watching suite precure and trully something were really easy to guess and some were trully well hidden ( because they used so many "fakes" ) i can't wait to see how you'll react to some of the things this anime will throw at you

They probably just log into an website where they can chat anonymously. Poor guy just wanted something to brag about when he saw the humans.

>sitting in the depths of moria playing vidya
>suddenly rock falls on head
>stupid human intrudan
>go full on dark flamu masta
>everything is burning
>fly to the humans
>wizard on the bridge
>I can fly
>stumble, land
>firewhip from my sleeves
>wizard kills me

Aint even mad

fertygo

LAte on this but you should continue ..i stopped too and now i think that was one of the big mistakes i did ... I can tell you , if you pay attention , there is a moments where everything just make sense , and from there is just non stop goodness .. the show is weirdly introduced because it's a necessary evil ( such a complex universe ) but at episodes 4-5 it's a real "blast" ( no pun intended )

Horizon is good ..most of the explanations are done correctly so it's just a matter of listening for the viewer.

Well I love Horizon, but the script is a mess... They're trying to fit 2100+ pages of book into 13 episode afterall. You can't understand shit without help from site like this.

The staff trying hard to make at the very least the content deliver the impact despite the circumstances, which why the show became hot seller because the novel reader applauding them on message board.

coldvein

Banned
hey guys, i've got an anime question and this looks it might be a good place to ask.

i want to buy some more anime, preferably on bluray. all i own right now is samurai champloo. i'd like it to be a complete series and not suck, particular genre doesn't really matter. also it cant cost 5 million dollars. any recommendations?

Branduil

hey guys, i've got an anime question and this looks it might be a good place to ask.

i want to buy some more anime, preferably on bluray. all i own right now is samurai champloo. i'd like it to be a complete series and not suck, particular genre doesn't really matter. also it cant cost 5 million dollars. any recommendations?

Serial Experiments Lain
Bunny Drop
Baccano

Narag

I think I'd seen the slipper thing debate before. That critique though ... lol

18. How To Recognize An Elf.
- Sappy pseudo-cheerful woodland Elf-music plays whenever they appear.
- They have eyes like Bambi.
- They're all exposed three F-stops too bright.

3. The Dangers Of Rotoscoping Live-Action Footage.
Gandalf, ressurrected, reappears before Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. He jumps up, leaps onto a rock, and... his cape gets wrapped around his head.
Couldn't they have corrected this when they animated the sequence? Or, indeed, filmed the live-action shot more than once?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
funny now that sdburton watches this , i recall my moment watching suite precure and trully something were really easy to guess and some were trully well hidden ( because they used so many "fakes" ) i can't wait to see how you'll react to some of the things this anime will throw at you

Haha! I'm really getting a kick out of this show. They have some side characters that I would love to see as Precures, specifically
Waon

Suite Precure - 12

After seeing Hibiki's imagination I want
Waon to be a Precure so fucking bad! Please let this happen!

Oh and new finishing moves, woot!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

You've come to the right place! Do you have any genres in particular that you're interested in? Or can you list any other shows you've seen and liked? There's quite a few people here (if not all) that have an extensive list who can probably help you find what you're looking for.

Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu 4

This episode did a good job of portraying through Nazuna that awkward feeling when everyone in the group you're with shares the same interests and knowledge except you.

Syrinx

YuruYuri 15

Okay, the new music is starting to grow on me. Got the ending theme stuck in my head already.

This wasn't my favorite episode, but it was surprisingly good for an episode centered around Himawari and Sakurako, two characters I usually don't give much of a shit about. It's kind of confusing having them pretending to hate each other because they're both running for SC VP or something, but then have them really be friends, but I guess it's somewhat understandable.

At first, I was all like, "Chinatsu, how the fuck do you screw up a scarf so badly that the show's director deems it not fit for human eyes?" Then I remember I suck at sewing. One time I had a button fall off a pair of shorts, and I attempted to sew it back on. I sewed it in COMPLETELY the wrong place. It was way on the outside of the front, and almost against the top hem. If I attempted a scarf, it would probably be an affront to mankind that would look like some bedsheet that a dog pissed on and chewed the fuck out of. Though I suppose I could market it as avant garde fashion and make millions off it. In fact, that sounds like a great idea.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, YuruYuri. Anyway, Akari should be more assertive, lest she be faced with another chocolate shortage at the candy store. Also, it seems like somebody likes Akari. Who is it? I don't know. This show also doesn't tend to follow subplots from episode to episode, so maybe I never will.

Will see if I can squeeze in 16 at some point tonight.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 is pretty cheap on top of being an excellent movie. It's a good pickup if you're wanting to grow a collection.

This is a broad question, but here's some quality anime on Bluray I own and can recommend:

Baccano!
Bunny Drop
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos
Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Ouran High School Host Club
Spice and Wolf
Sword of the Stranger

If you only buy one, let it be Sword of the Stranger, a samurai action film whose art and animation are a beauty to behold.

Angel Beats for a touching story and comedy
Fafner for mecha love
[C] - Control the money of soul and possibility control
Eden of The East
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
No. 6

Branduil

>sitting in the depths of moria playing vidya
>suddenly rock falls on head
>stupid human intrudan
>go full on dark flamu masta
>everything is burning
>fly to the humans
>wizard on the bridge
>I can fly
>stumble, land
>firewhip from my sleeves
>wizard kills me

Aint even mad

Tolkien wasn't kidding when described them as an evil of the ancient world.

You don't turn your back to a wizard.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Good god, I don't think I could ever recommend the 2.0 "remaster" of Ghost in the Shell to anyone, even as a troll recommendation. Better of spending some more on the Japanese BD of the unmolested version instead.
I don't know better, but I was kind of expecting pizzaroll to yell at me.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hey dimb, is mumble down for you?

P.S. Everyone should watch Jormungand.

Good god, I don't think I could ever recommend the 2.0 "remaster" of Ghost in the Shell to anyone, even as a troll recommendation. Better of spending some more on the Japanese BD of the unmolested version instead.

I've heard bad things about the 2.0 version before, but hadn't actually seen it until your comment motivated me to look up a comparison of the opening. What is with all the added bloom? Not to mention the bizarre recoloring.

ULfxX.jpg

The 2.0 image on the right looks lifeless in comparison. Why would you do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom