• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

I really want to find some time to post impressions but it's not going to happen right now.

Anyway, I just watched the first episode of:

Zetsuen no Tempest
(Magical Hamlet Bro-lust)

From The New World
(Beautifully ominous ADD)

Jormungand
(#Hatewatch)

Robotics;Notes
(From techno-babble to morality-babble)

Still need to watch Jojo.

Hiiro no Kakera S2 ep 4

Slowly but surely building up to action. Really hyped for next episode just to see what Snake will do...However, I think the episode was rather low key and relaxing of sorts that I was put in the mood to nap by the time it was over.

wonzo

Banned
Space Brothers 29

Also :
nn46Zl.png
saving this for future kayos posts

Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse 16

I wonder if we will ever get back to BETA's, we keep with all these training stuff and intrapilot competitions, that Im afraid we may run out of time to address that issue well. Not that Im complaining as the whole competition is really interesting of sorts.
The Scarlet Twins destroying opponents in no time, and Top Gun, Yuuya Bridges, splitting mechs in half, must get more! I need Leon v Yuuya though.

Jex

From The New World
Still, what a god awful infodump. Why do SyFy writers feel the need to have their "Architect" moment? Why not just leave that stuff in some writer's bible that you can sell after you die (and have some director turn into a trilogy of movies)?
I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree with your complaints. Correct me if I'm misrepresenting your position but you seem to feel that the history of From the New World doesn't need to be explained to the viewer. However, it seems that the information conveyed is fairly important so I don't see how it could remain sealed in 'the writers Bible'.

I don't know if your problem is with exposition, in general or the particular way that this information was presented to the audience. Perhaps it's both?

I, personally, don't have any problem with stuff being explained. I don't see why there's anything inherently wrong with having some details filled in. It seems perfectly reasonable to, at some point, have certain fundamental things explained to the audience that they can't possibly know because the setting is entirely fictional. In this particular case, the exposition in question is essentially a history lesson, I personally quite enjoy a bit of history now and then, as long as it's presented in a way that's not terribly boring. I guess that's where we come on to the second possible complaints - the way it's presented to the audience.

I won't argue that we aren't given a lot of information in one go - because clearly we are. The whole sequence lasts 10 minutes which, for an anime, is quite a fair length of time. However, I don't feel that that time is wasted or stretched - the information that's given is concise, useful and directly relevant to things that have happened earlier in the show and will happen in the future. The library doesn't go into very minor, appendix-level stuff, instead it talks broadly and manages to compress a thousand years of history into a few minutes. We only really learn the salient points.

The context of the scene is very important too - this isn't some rookie being told some information they should already know for the benefit of the audience. These kids have no way of accessing this knowledge elsewhere, who else would keep a record of such activities? It makes perfect sense for them to be curious about their own history and to learn how events unfolded which led to the current societal arrangement. The way they react to this disruptive information is important too, their extreme reactions to the information tells us quite a bit about the characters themselves. At this point in the show many members of the audience are also pretty curious about the backstory as well, considering that they've been teasing it at the start of every episode. It's nice to have a variety of important questions answered.
That also begs the question that I asked at the beginning - what was the point of all the flashbacks that start each episode
if you were just going to vomit up all that stuff in the fourth episode anyway? Yeesh.
As I've mentioned above the history lesson, while lengthy, managed to be fairly concise. Each one was just a neat little vignette that demonstrated some particularly important event. Also, as this series doesn't have an OP, for whatever reason, they served as a cool little segment that was different from everything else.
[I think I'm out for a while. Maybe I'll just read the Random Curiosity screen grabs/summaries until the next big thing happens.
Reading anime on Wikipedia isn't cool!

Firemind

Out of all the shoujo shows this season, this was the least enjoyable. His nicely-insensitive personality plus his bad hairstyle just didn't work.

It was nice to hear Ritsuko Okazaki's voice in an anime again though...
even if it's from beyond the grave

You don't have to like the pairings of any given show. It's why mankind has invented shipping.

Watch Nana. You'll understand.

Alright.

Does anyone here actually post on their forums?

I see DTL posts in the Kuroko no Basket forums sometimes.

Even the yaoi-lust for KnB doesn't compare to the SAO discussions. I want to find every singe person who said they enjoyed SAO because they were like Kirito in real life and punch them in the face.

BluWacky

I want to find every singe person who said they enjoyed SAO because they were like Kirito in real life and punch them in the face.

This suggests that a high preponderance of MAL posters are teenagers who wet the bed because they play online games all day, right? I'm not sure how else one can be "just like Kirito" in real life...

wsippel

Banned
That MAL compatibility shit seems surprisingly useless. I'm medium-high with almost everybody on GAF, but that usually only means that we all agree on what's mediocre.

Emitan

That MAL compatibility shit seems surprisingly useless. I'm medium-high with almost everybody on GAF, but that usually only means that we all agree on what's mediocre.

I'm using it to find my OTP. So far it's either InfiniteNine, Chet Rippo, or Hitokage.

BluWacky

That sounds...unfortunate. I've been looking forward to this solely based on Nakamura's Moryo no Hakko and Aoi Bungaku. He seems to be a very cerebral director in that he's really interested in playing with conventions and challenging the audience to think carefully about what they're seeing. It's unfortunate to hear that it's mired by such a serious flaw but I was already a little weary about how it would turn out based on the premise.

I agree that Nakamura is a very cerebral director, and his take on this material is certainly thoughtful and challenging to people familiar with the original story (although obviously that has no impact on "us" as an audience). I'd be very interested to see what you think of the film if you ever see it.

As I mentioned in my spoiler post, it's possible that certain plot elements are deliberately only explained by single throwaway lines of dialogue - maybe he means the audience to put the pieces together themselves. I just don't think that can really be the case in a film based on a young adult sci-fi novel, as much as I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. The material is very, very different from Run Melos and Mouryou no Hako.

Jex

I spent longer rebutting points regarding [From the New World] - 4 than I did actually writing a post on the subject. At the very least I can say that, while the show looks fine most of the time I really appreciate them pulling out all the stops for very important moments:

tornado.gif

Of course, Evangelion already went there, but whatever.

Jex

I agree that Nakamura is a very cerebral director, and his take on this material is certainly thoughtful and challenging to people familiar with the original story (although obviously that has no impact on "us" as an audience). I'd be very interested to see what you think of the film if you ever see it.

As I mentioned in my spoiler post, it's possible that certain plot elements are deliberately only explained by single throwaway lines of dialogue - maybe he means the audience to put the pieces together themselves. I just don't think that can really be the case in a film based on a young adult sci-fi novel, as much as I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. The material is very, very different from Run Melos and Mouryou no Hako.

I get the feeling that Nakamura is quite a serious reader. The way he adapts and interprets both the story and author of Run, Melos! in Run, Melos! seems to suggest that he isn't just working with that material because he has to, but because he actually cares about it quite a bit. Of course, I could be wrong and he might not turn out to be a book nerd at all.

Nevertheless, it's very important to understand the material that you're working on and it's intended audience. If you can't adapt your directorial style to match that then you have a problem because you're just going to go way over the heads of your audience.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Psh, tell me when there's a Takarazuka anime.
An anime about them performing Pheonix Wright. lol

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree with your complaints. Correct me if I'm misrepresenting your position but you seem to feel that the history of From the New World doesn't need to be explained to the viewer. However, it seems that the information conveyed is fairly important so I don't see how it could remain sealed in 'the writers Bible'.

I don't know if your problem is with exposition, in general or the particular way that this information was presented to the audience. Perhaps it's both?

I, personally, don't have any problem with stuff being explained. I don't see why there's anything inherently wrong with having some details filled in. It seems perfectly reasonable to, at some point, have certain fundamental things explained to the audience that they can't possibly know because the setting is entirely fictional. In this particular case, the exposition in question is essentially a history lesson, I personally quite enjoy a bit of history now and then, as long as it's presented in a way that's not terribly boring. I guess that's where we come on to the second possible complaints - the way it's presented to the audience.

I won't argue that we aren't given a lot of information in one go - because clearly we are. The whole sequence lasts 10 minutes which, for an anime, is quite a fair length of time. However, I don't feel that that time is wasted or stretched - the information that's given is concise, useful and directly relevant to things that have happened earlier in the show and will happen in the future. The library doesn't go into very minor, appendix-level stuff, instead it talks broadly and manages to compress a thousand years of history into a few minutes. We only really learn the salient points.

The context of the scene is very important too - this isn't some rookie being told some information they should already know for the benefit of the audience. These kids have no way of accessing this knowledge elsewhere, who else would keep a record of such activities? It makes perfect sense for them to be curious about their own history and to learn how events unfolded which led to the current societal arrangement. The way they react to this disruptive information is important too, their extreme reactions to the information tells us quite a bit about the characters themselves. At this point in the show many members of the audience are also pretty curious about the backstory as well, considering that they've been teasing it at the start of every episode. It's nice to have a variety of important questions answered.
Well, imagine if in the middle of The Thick Of It, they took 10 minutes to explain what a coalition government meant to the audience. Certainly doing the infodump through children who literally don't know any better is fine... but when I was watching the kid
freak out, all I could remember was that The Fifth Element did that whole "infodump corrupting innocence" thing a lot better by just showing images of war.

What's odd is that they use the Vietnam thing with the guy being executed right in front of the camera, but then they just move on to droning speechifying with reaction shots.

If the intent was to show the kids
being horrified by their history and what they've been essentially conditioned/designed to become, I feel like there was a better way to show it. Whether or not The Fifth Element did it the "right" way, there are certainly other ways to show how learning a fundamental truth could greatly change one's life.

If all of that stuff was for the benefit for us, the "reader", then I'd honestly rather they just put it all on some official wikia somewhere and let the super nerds who want that stuff to find it on their own. It just drags on unnecessarily and stops the show in its tracks.

I mean, I'll just point to other examples. Mass Effect 3 ends with an unnecessary infodump. Because for some reason, writers become so enamored with their mythology that they think everyone should know about it.
Did I have to know about the fact that some dumbass made robots to kill other robots without thinking about the consequences? Or how this elaborate plan to control organics so that they don't create synthetics makes absolutely no sense but is somehow justified by handwaving? No, not really.

And for all the shittiness of BSG and THE FINAL FIVE, I'm glad that they didn't try to explain Starbuck. Because why does it ultimately matter? It literally becomes a question of faith in that moment - for Lee, for the audience - and the lack of answers becomes an important thematic question to be asked.

(Of course, then they also had to ruin it by doing the stupid Mitochondrial Eve thing (we let someone fuck our daughter when she was twelve and forced her to carry a daughter before letting her die! Because technology is bad!) and the flashforward to "our time" but what can you do)

I just feel like science fiction gets hung up on this stuff so much. In Aria, at no point do they ever really explain why Venice has to be moved to Mars. They'll take time to explain how gravity and the weather is maintained, but even that's wrapped in a way that works both as thematic development and character development. Sora no Woto has a mythology as well, with competing religions and a post-apocalyptic society with a lost history - but again, the only time we get mythology is when it's directly tied to the characters. Aliens invade Earth at some point and for some reason, they leave. There's nothing gained by having the characters or the audience learn about this alien invasion - just that it happened and left Earth in a ruined state. Why isn't that enough?

As I've mentioned above the history lesson, while lengthy, managed to be fairly concise. Each one was just a neat little vignette that demonstrated some particularly important event. Also, as this series doesn't have an OP, for whatever reason, they served as a cool little segment that was different from everything else.
That's fine, and if they were left to stand on their own, maybe I'd be more forgiving of them. But to have that and the infodump? I mean, they must have known that infodump was coming - they are the ones creating the show after all - so they figured that having twice the exposition was something that would serve the show.

Reading anime on Wikipedia isn't cool!
Hey, Random Curiosity has pictures too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom