• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
chitose get you! 17
chitose17.jpg

unfunnier than little busters

At least Unknown knows to how to look stuff up!
iMuUGHhbIh5bK.gif

icecream

Public Health Threat
School Days fin

Good start, ridicilous towards the end. 1/10
Now go watch the 2 OVAs.

But do you like Mei? You can root for one half of the relationship and still despise the other.
As a character? Sure.

Whether or not her relationship with Yamato is good or bad for her or them does not change that he is a bad person to me. And that's without any feelings of shipping her off to some other male character.

Emitan

Revolutionary Incest Utena 21

Another Nanami episode! We get to finally learn more about her cadre which is good for worldbuilding I guess.

BluWacky

Quick catch-up on non-movie anime watched thus far:

From The New World 4

Detailed thoughts go in the OT if I have them, but I've now watched this twice and loved it both times.

Also thought I'd point out that the show's official Twitter account keeps tweeting as if it's a bakenezumi, complete with a profile pic of a baby one. Aaaaaaw
GIGIGI

Robotics;Notes 2

I completely failed to pay any attention to what happened this week. Did anything really happen? The guy ate some kind of disgusting passion fruit thing and they bought some parts? Let's see how long I can keep background watching it and maybe it will actually hold my attention in the future.

Psycho Pass 2

Mmmm, good OP.

So much blah blah blah, though. What kind of friend tells you your exact marks on a test? Oh, one who exists to provide pointless background. They could have got that whole scene over and done with at the end of the episode.

Also why does Akane have to be constantly on the verge of tears? The (endless...endless...) dialogue tells us she's super brainy and the only person who should work in the bureau, but her voice acting and the visuals make her sound and look like a total drip. It's like the idea of the character is completely different from her execution.

Eh, despite that, it's still a pretty intriguing show, and I enjoyed the "case" this week - it was both amusing and interesting. I'm sure it'll improve as it gets out of the introductory phase.

Syrinx

Picked up a blu-ray of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works at Best Buy. I assume this is a movie based on Fate/stay night? I probably should watch that.

Narag

Picked up a blu-ray of Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works at Best Buy. I assume this is a movie based on Fate/stay night? I probably should watch that.

It's an adaptation of the second route of the VN. It tosses you into things pretty fast under the assumption you're familiar with the first route too.

If all of that stuff was for the benefit for us, the "reader", then I'd honestly rather they just put it all on some official wikia somewhere and let the super nerds who want that stuff to find it on their own. It just drags on unnecessarily and stops the show in its tracks.

The ironic thing about this statement is that the official website has posted a lot of ancillary information about the world in glossaries and the like, the kinds of things that would get put in the appendices of a book.

I just feel like science fiction gets hung up on this stuff so much. In Aria, at no point do they ever really explain why Venice has to be moved to Mars. They'll take time to explain how gravity and the weather is maintained, but even that's wrapped in a way that works both as thematic development and character development. Sora no Woto has a mythology as well, with competing religions and a post-apocalyptic society with a lost history - but again, the only time we get mythology is when it's directly tied to the characters. Aliens invade Earth at some point and for some reason, they leave. There's nothing gained by having the characters or the audience learn about this alien invasion - just that it happened and left Earth in a ruined state. Why isn't that enough?

Aria is a very different kind of show than From the New World. It is a show about the daily lives of its characters. They take the world they live in for granted, and (more or less) so do we. From the New World is about the upheaval of the daily lives of its characters. They cannot take their world for granted, and neither can we. The information being presented in episode 4 isn't random background information; it is directly relevant to the themes and the principal characters of the series. It is essentially the catalyst for the rest of the narrative.

It's fine if you prefer the laid-back style of sci-fi of Aria, but From the New World isn't the wrong kind of story, it's just a different kind of story.

That's fine, and if they were left to stand on their own, maybe I'd be more forgiving of them. But to have that and the infodump? I mean, they must have known that infodump was coming - they are the ones creating the show after all - so they figured that having twice the exposition was something that would serve the show.

Exposition involves words. It is explaining something to someone. Showing an event as it takes place is not exposition. If the segments at the beginning of episodes 1-3 had voice-over narration they could be considered exposition. As it is, they are no more exposition than, say, the Zapruder film of the Kennedy assassination is.

Firemind

As a character? Sure.

Whether or not her relationship with Yamato is good or bad for her or them does not change that he is a bad person to me. And that's without any feelings of shipping her off to some other male character.

I'm not defending him or his actions. It's perfectly fine if you dislike him. My point is, to me, it has no bearing on what I like about the show. In fact, it increases the entertainment value. Drama needs unlikable characters as long as there are likable characters. Mei is one of the latter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The ironic thing about this statement is that the official website has posted a lot of ancillary information about the world in glossaries and the like, the kinds of things that would get put in the appendices of a book.
I hope there's an entry on an Asian assassin who has an unhealthy obsession with cereal. Oh wait, that's Mass Effect. lol

Aria is a very different kind of show than From the New World. It is a show about the daily lives of its characters. They take the world they live in for granted, and (more or less) so do we. From the New World is about the upheaval of the daily lives of its characters. They cannot take their world for granted, and neither can we. The information being presented in episode 4 isn't random background information; it is directly relevant to the themes and the principal characters of the series. It is essentially the catalyst for the rest of the narrative.

It's fine if you prefer the laid-back style of sci-fi of Aria, but From the New World isn't the wrong kind of story, it's just a different kind of story.
Even if it's absolutely necessary that the audience gets this information, there are more interesting ways to integrate history into character development. It doesn't have to be watching someone talk to what amounts to an interactive wikipedia guide for 10 minutes. I'd much rather take the intros to the episodes rather than all that nattering about random details of the world.

Exposition involves words. It is explaining something to someone. Showing an event as it takes place is not exposition. If the segments at the beginning of episodes 1-3 had voice-over narration they could be considered exposition. As it is, they are no more exposition than, say, the Zapruder film of the Kennedy assassination is.
I think in my head I'm treating those parts as words on a script. That is, to me they are equivalent to an omniscient narrator giving out random information about the world in a novel or short story. But sure, they're not exposition - they're visual infodumps.

Emitan

Eternal Girl Utena 22

About time we got some backstory on what's going on. I'm getting excited for the next episodes now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom