• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

So this was requested in the last thread.

NSFW NSFH NSFL!

3IXO2l.jpg

Even if it's absolutely necessary that the audience gets this information, there are more interesting ways to integrate history into character development. It doesn't have to be watching someone talk to what amounts to an interactive wikipedia guide for 10 minutes. I'd much rather take the intros to the episodes rather than all that nattering about random details of the world.

Perhaps that's how you see it; that's not how I see it, and more importantly that's not how the children learning the information in the show see it. The information being provided is even more for their benefit than for the audience's, after all.

What I gather that you would have preferred is that the show basically went "And bad stuff happened" and showed the characters freaking out, without actually explaining any specifics. I don't see how that would have benefited the show, as we then wouldn't have been able to really understand why the characters were freaking out.

I think in my head I'm treating those parts as words on a script. That is, to me they are equivalent to an omniscient narrator giving out random information about the world in a novel or short story. But sure, they're not exposition - they're visual infodumps.

They're only "infodumps" in the way that every other scene in the show - or any scene in any show showing "stuff happening" - is.

Emitan

It's not for "worldbuilding" at all, but rather to demonstrate that the myopic points of view of the student council are neither the only nor the most important perspectives that exist.

Too deep for me? I'm not really getting any of the deep stuff in this show and it makes me feel dumb.

DiGiKerot

Nevertheless, it's very important to understand the material that you're working on and it's intended audience. If you can't adapt your directorial style to match that then you have a problem because you're just going to go way over the heads of your audience.

I think part of the problem we kind of have talking about the movie is that Nakamura does throughly understand the material he is working with, and is assuming that the audience that is going to watch the movie is one that has had access to something like five alternative versions of it between the original novel and various TV and movie productions. It a movie which deliberately bases itself around the expectation that the audience has prior knowledge and abuses it by both refusing to explain what he thinks you should know, and by twisting the events which should have been pre-extablished in fashions which you wouldn't expect.

This absolutely makes the movie something of a failure from the perspective of a non-Japanese fan who hasn't grown-up with at least some knowledge of this story - there's an awful lot thrown around that you end up mentally tracking things which are, ultimately, entirely irrelevant as they're explained by the original work. It sucks to be us, basically.

From the point of view of someone who has significant exposure to prior versions of the work, I'm sure there'll be a lot to pull apart and analyse about the movie. I'm really, really curious to see how it fairs in Japan both in terms of critical and popular reception.

(Not that some of the other stuff not strictly rooted in the original work couldn't have been better explained - I still can't quite mentally parse who was supposed to have fallen down first - but there's a certain amount of wood-for-trees going on with the movie. Needs a rewatch. Shame that'll be at least a year away, most likely).

Anyway, that's another Scotland Loves Anime over for a year. Today was refreshing, I guess, in that everything actually made sense. Not that I haven't seen Ninja Scroll before (though the BD transfer looks pretty great), and I saw the Anime Mirai stuff last week. Wolf Children was fabulous, but far more eloquent men than myself have waxed lyrical about that on prior occasions.

The festival director all but confirmed that the event will be taking place again this time next year, which isn't too surprising given how significantly attendance seemed to be up this year. Hopefully that'll be my chance to see Evangelion 3.0 next year if something doesn't crop up before it...

Syrinx

It's an adaptation of the second route of the VN. It tosses you into things pretty fast under the assumption you're familiar with the first route too.

So... I should play the VN?

Also, if DTL is accurate, the blu-ray of the anime is coming in January? Should I watch that first? Sorry for all the stupid/noobish questions.

Narag

Also, if DTL is accurate, the blu-ray of the anime is coming in January? Should I watch that first? Sorry for all the stupid/noobish questions.

Or watch Fate/Stay Night's tv anime although folk who have done both haven't had much to say about either. They're not stupid questions either as franchises can get a bit confusing and daunting.

I think part of the problem we kind of have talking about the movie is that Nakamura does throughly understand the material he is working with, and is assuming that the audience that is going to watch the movie is one that has had access to something like five alternative versions of it between the original novel and various TV and movie productions. It a movie which deliberately bases itself around the expectation that the audience has prior knowledge and abuses it by both refusing to explain what he thinks you should know, and by twisting the events which should have been pre-extablished in fashions which you wouldn't expect.

This absolutely makes the movie something of a failure from the perspective of a non-Japanese fan who hasn't grown-up with at least some knowledge of this story - there's an awful lot thrown around that you end up mentally tracking things which are, ultimately, entirely irrelevant as they're explained by the original work. It sucks to be us, basically.

From the point of view of someone who has significant exposure to prior versions of the work, I'm sure there'll be a lot to pull apart and analyse about the movie. I'm really, really curious to see how it fairs in Japan both in terms of critical and popular reception.

The big thing I don't understand is, if this film expects you have extensive knowledge of the original, untranslated as far as I'm aware, Japanese novel, who in the world thought it would be a good idea to premiere the film in Scotland?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Perhaps that's how you see it; that's not how I see it, and more importantly that's not how the children learning the information in the show see it. The information being provided is even more for their benefit than for the audience's, after all.

What I gather that you would have preferred is that the show basically went "And bad stuff happened" and showed the characters freaking out, without actually explaining any specifics. I don't see how that would have benefited the show, as we then wouldn't have been able to really understand why the characters were freaking out.
Well, I already provided an example (in science fiction too!) where I thought the same effect was achieved in a much more succinct, if not more interesting, manner.

At the moment, the other example that comes to mind is the Band of Brothers episode where they first discover the concentration camp. The show doesn't stop and give a history lesson of the Holocaust for the benefit of the characters in the show itself or for the people watching at home.

They're only "infodumps" in the way that every other scene in the show - or any scene in any show showing "stuff happening" - is.
They're infodumps in that they have nothing to do with the characters that we are meant to follow in the show and exist only to provide background information to the audience. As far as I know, these aren't scenes that the characters in the show will ever see.

jbug617

Banned
Nogizaka Haruka No Himitsu: Finale 2

They finally admit their feelings. It's weird that the outcast boy wants to keep his relationship secret with the popular girl.

Also I wonder what the
phone call with the mother is all about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nogizaka Haruka No Himitsu: Finale 2

They finally admit their feelings. It's weird that the outcast boy wants to keep his relationship secret with the popular girl.

Also I wonder what the
phone call with the mother is all about.
Haremshit is just like shoujo. They can only close the deal with the franchise is about to end!

DiGiKerot

The big thing I don't understand is, if this film expects you have extensive knowledge of the original, untranslated as far as I'm aware, Japanese novel, who in the world thought it would be a good idea to premiere the film in Scotland?

That's the million-pound-in-scottish-notes question we've been wondering since having watched it yesterday, to be honest. The problem is that, with the movie having only been completed on Tuesday, no-one actually had time before scheduling it to figure out if it would actually make any kind of sense or not.

I'd have to assume that the festival director was simply offered it and thought it was a great idea - I mean, why refuse a world premiere? They filled out the cinema as well (which, admittedly, isn't the hugest screen in the universe). Supposedly Japan likes to do this because it makes the movie seem more exotic when it debuts in Japan if they can say it had a successful screening abroad (not that it helped Welcome to the Space Show or Redline anyway). It may have backfired somewhat in terms of the critical mauling it's been getting on those UK anime news sites who had someone there, but I've no idea if any of the Japanese fans have been tracking that stuff anyway.

trejo

Ideally, you'd want to stay away from any and all Fate Stay/Night adaptations and focus instead on Fate/Zero.

I've never played the VN so I can't comment on that.

BluWacky

It may have backfired somewhat in terms of the critical mauling it's been getting on those UK anime news sites who had someone there, but I've no idea if any of the Japanese fans have been tracking that stuff anyway.

I can't find anyone on Twitter who's noticed anything, and the 2ch thread is talking about their experiences of reading the novel (and whether Mayuyu's voice acting can make the film a hit or not). I don't think anyone in Japan has clocked that the premiere took place, frankly!

Narag

Ideally, you'd want to stay away from any and all Fate Stay/Night adaptations and focus instead on Fate/Zero.

I've never played the VN so I can't comment on that.

One day people will see the light of Fate/Stay Night TV Reproduction.

DiGiKerot

I can't find anyone on Twitter who's noticed anything, and the 2ch thread is talking about their experiences of reading the novel (and whether Mayuyu's voice acting can make the film a hit or not). I don't think anyone in Japan has clocked that the premiere took place, frankly!

I think the real problem the movie might have is that Mayuyu's character doesn't have a cannon in her arm. Seems like a bit of a major oversight to me.

But, yeah, can't say I've been seeing much traffic on it either. Maybe they really haven't noticed!

Well, I already provided an example (in science fiction too!) where I thought the same effect was achieved in a much more succinct, if not more interesting, manner.

At the moment, the other example that comes to mind is the Band of Brothers episode where they first discover the concentration camp. The show doesn't stop and give a history lesson of the Holocaust for the benefit of the characters in the show itself or for the people watching at home.

Not having seen these two examples, I can't really comment on them. Except to say that, at least in the case of the Holocaust it can be expected that everyone watching understands the significance of that event. (At least they should, though my faith in the general population's grasp of history is not great.)

It's also worth noting that the relevant situation about the development of society in the world from From the New World is a little more complicated than "There was war."

They're infodumps in that they have nothing to do with the characters that we are meant to follow in the show and exist only to provide background information to the audience. As far as I know, these aren't scenes that the characters in the show will ever see.

I guess we just have different definitions of "infodump" - when I use the word, I mean "a lengthy, dense section of exposition" - literally dumping a load of info into our lap all at once. The segements at the beginning of episodes 1-3 are neither lengthy nor dense nor explicitly providing info except what we are able to infer from what is happening. Plus there's several reasons for the existence of those segments besides mere background information, such as providing moments where "things are happening" when the bulk of the episode is more slow-paced, and providing segments where animators such as Jun Arai can experiment with a visual style different to the show's norm.

That's the million-pound-in-scottish-notes question we've been wondering since having watched it yesterday, to be honest. The problem is that, with the movie having only been completed on Tuesday, no-one actually had time before scheduling it to figure out if it would actually make any kind of sense or not.

I'd have to assume that the festival director was simply offered it and thought it was a great idea - I mean, why refuse a world premiere? They filled out the cinema as well (which, admittedly, isn't the hugest screen in the universe). Supposedly Japan likes to do this because it makes the movie seem more exotic when it debuts in Japan if they can say it had a successful screening abroad (not that it helped Welcome to the Space Show or Redline anyway). It may have backfired somewhat in terms of the critical mauling it's been getting on those UK anime news sites who had someone there, but I've no idea if any of the Japanese fans have been tracking that stuff anyway.

Oh, I fully understand why the SLA festival would want to show Nerawareta Gakuen, and of course they would have no idea that it might not have the greatest reception there. I'm just trying to understand why Sunrise offered it in the first place - surely Nakamura and the rest of the staff knew they were making something that required knowledge of the original work and would have realized that it wouldn't have its intended impact in an international audience.

In general, I have a negative view of a film that expects you to come equipped with prior knowledge of a specific work unless it clearly advertises that upfront.

Grzi

My MAL, for those of you who haven't added me yet. I accept all Gaffers, so don't be shy.

Today was supposed to be an anime day for me, but I ended up spending the entire day outside the house, now it's 1:30 AM and I'm going to bed without having watched anything I planned to watch. Damn.
But at least I finally watched Dredd, and it was pretty good.

wonzo

Banned
Madoka Magica Film Strip Auction Ends at US$13,600
Final 1,080,001-yen bid for clip of Madoka & Homura snuggling in film's opening

A Yahoo! Auctions Japan user named "Artisan531" auctioned a film strip from the first Madoka Magica compilation film, and the auction ended on Sunday at 10:48 p.m. in Japan (9:48 a.m. EDT) after overtime bidding with a bid of 1,080,001 yen (about US$13,600). The final bid has not been verified yet.

The auctioned strip features frames of characters Homura Akemi and Madoka Kaname cuddling in the opening sequence of Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 1: Beginning.

The film strip was part of a gift campaign for viewers who saw both Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 1: Beginnings and Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 2: Eternal. The first film opened in Japan on October 6, and the second followed on October 13.

There are few other auctions of film strips from the same opening sequence. The auction by user "Nyantosuicyoken" also closed on Sunday at 274,000 yen (US$3,460). The user "akaringo282000" is auctioning another set of two strips — one without text on it — with a current high bid of 521,000 yen (US$6,570). That auction will end on Wednesday. Still another auction by "tessa_wispard" has an opening price of 2,160,000 yen (US$27,200) with five days left to go, but with no bidder yet.

Similar anime film strip rewards were auctioned in the past, albeit with lower bids. A theater chain worker held unauthorized auctions of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's' strips intended for audience members this summer. A film strip auction for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya ended with a 356,000-yen (US$3,990) bid, and a strip from the Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime film sold for 174,000 yen (US$2,130) in 2010.​

homerwhy.png

Ultimadrago

Space Brothers 27-29

This show is still really easy to watch while maintaining a fairly enjoyable experience.

@Episode 29:
Don't leave your dog alone (or anything else for that matter) on premises with children that have spiky blue hair.
It'll lead to nothing, but trouble.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not having seen these two examples, I can't really comment on them. Except to say that, at least in the case of the Holocaust it can be expected that everyone watching understands the significance of that event. (At least they should, though my faith in the general population's grasp of history is not great.)
There are people who don't know that the Titanic was a real ship, so, no, you shouldn't have faith in humanity. lol

It's also worth noting that the relevant situation about the development of society in the world from From the New World is a little more complicated than "There was war."
But apparently not too complicated to cover a thousand years of history in a few minutes. I mean, can you have it both ways? It's both complicated, but also shallow. I dunno, maybe I just do have a cynical view of science fiction because of how disappointing it has become over the last decade or so.

I guess we just have different definitions of "infodump" - when I use the word, I mean "a lengthy, dense section of exposition" - literally dumping a load of info into our lap all at once. The segements at the beginning of episodes 1-3 are neither lengthy nor dense nor explicitly providing info except what we are able to infer from what is happening. Plus there's several reasons for the existence of those segments besides mere background information, such as providing moments where "things are happening" when the bulk of the episode is more slow-paced, and providing segments where animators such as Jun Arai can experiment with a visual style different to the show's norm.
So, I think it was The Last Samurai or Pearl Harbor that opened with some text scroll that explained how the West was treating Japan in order to provide context for the movie (it was probably Pearl Harbor, since it was about the blockades and the forced isolation, now that I think about it). To me, that's basically what those opening segments are like. I don't think they necessarily detract or add anything qualitatively, but it's still extra contextual information being given to the audience that is divorced from the main part of the show.

My hands. Are they not clean?
Haha.

Emitan

Revolutionary Girl Utena 24

I can't say I'm surprised
Tsuwabuki
is messed up. It's just not normal behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom