• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Suite Precure - 24

KWCuR.png
ghApv.png

xB5iu.png
KwfBk.png

As have I girls.. as have I.

Oooh new opening!

Ellen was pretty cute in this episode. Having her imagine the two girls as Hummy was too funny.

Calling it quits with Suite for tonight, will finish it up tomorrow.

cajunator

Banned
And this is why ..diaries should be kept personal ...imagine if cajun , kayos or chet made their diaries public ? ( don't deny i have accurate sources that told me that you all had diaries )
Dear diary...
Work tonight was shit.
Eating popeyes again. Green beans are the shit.
Id rather be at home squeeing at Cute.
Chuunibyo is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper cute. I fall asleep on random things like pillow girl.
We see eye to eye. Maybe she can be my waifu!
Why are giraffe tongues black?

P.s.
Hnnnnnnnngh @ Rikka

I was talking more about whether or not it was actually referring to PreCure than the actual chart which is p. obvious but I will admit that I'm lazy as hell.

It's definitely referring to Precure; looking at the image and date it's specifically talking about the first series, Futari wa Pretty Cure, prior to its debut in 2004.

(You don't even need to read Japanese to figure this out!)

Durarara!! 1 - 3
tumblr_m9pst4W9lu1qih1xeo7_r1_250.gif
tumblr_m9pst4W9lu1qih1xeo8_r1_250.gif

Easily one of the better anime Ive seen and much better than the writers other work, Baccano, which I didnt like much at all due to it being difficult to follow and not many good characters. This has a wide cast of great characters and such. Kida Masaomi was an instant favorite at the start and if his energy and funness can rub off on the one thats name sounds like a character from a manga, ah, Mikado Ryugamine. I really like Izaya and he is such a great personality.
Really that whole event with the girl that was ready to disappear then him telling her it was all a setup and what not on the rooftop, I liked that whole scene just the meaning and how it played out
. Cellphone scene was hilariously amazing. He needs all the screentime and more. If he and Shizuo can meet even more, but those vending machines he throws, wow. Mixed feelings on the motorcycle rider.

Ending theme is catchy.
Excellent blu ray.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Chuu2 05
You can't fool me with your attempts at having some emotional bonding in the later parts of the episode KyoAni. This is still just a harem show with a main character who has no screen presence even when he's the focus of the scene. Maybe that's why he doesn't even show up in the ED.

Thoraxes

Chuu2 05

You can't fool me with your attempts at having some emotional bonding in the later parts of the episode KyoAni. This is still just a harem show with a main character who has no screen presence even when he's the focus of the scene. Maybe that's why he doesn't even show up in the ED.

Sounds a lot like the first ED of Hyouka.

Maybe this is the start of a Kyoani pattern.

dimb

Sounds a lot like the first ED of Hyouka.

Maybe this is the start of a Kyoani pattern.
Well for Chuu2 it seems like it's more a thing about the ED trying to emphasize the voice actresses in an attempt to bring in more cash money.
I still like it though.

Mandoric

Banned
Well for Chuu2 it seems like it's more a thing about the ED trying to emphasize the voice actresses in an attempt to bring in more cash money.
I still like it though.

Alas for KyoAni, Chuu2Dough will not join the hallowed pantheon of Bakemoneygatari and Madocash.

Thoraxes

I still like it though.

As for Hyouka, it too was an attempt (I would guess) to bring in more cash money, albeit in a different manner:

es8jJ.gif

dimb

Alas for KyoAni, Chuu2Dough will not join the hallowed pantheon of Bakemoneygatari and Madocash.
I don't think it was ever supposed to. Their investment into this seems pretty minimal. I get the feeling it'll do pretty well.

Soma

No main characters sitting right next to the window? In a Slice of Life romantic comedy?

What is this madness.

Also, I like how Nibutani is pretty much the only girl in class in no ribbon for her school uniform. Who does she think she is?

Cwarrior

Adding to the mix, Kino's mostly relatively upscale/urban locations, isn't it? I can definitely see most One Piece purchases there being made by adults just because I can't see most of the stores sitting on little kids' walks home. Whether these purchases go on the shelf of a normal guy who started at 15 and is now 30, on the shelf next to a figure, or get handed over at the dinner table as an apology for being home late are three completely different fates we can't divine even from that.

Now, this certainly isn't arguing that no adults read OP, but with 3 million or so sales a volume (and for tanks only I'd definitely buy that a greater proportion are longtime fans in their mid-late 20s) you can literally sell more to adults than any other comic sells at all and still only account for 20% of your readership.

I wish people would stop quoting me at ungodly hours.

The survey was conducted with nhk for there one piece tv documentary, to make it as accurately as possible the people counted on the survey wasn't not the person who bought it but the person the manga was meant for, so if an adult bought it they would be asked who it was meant for ,that persons age and gender.

I can post the tv documentary but am going to do that later on another day, there's some interesting stuff on there don't have the time now.

Mandoric

Banned
I wish people would stop quoting at ungodly hours.

The survey was conducted with nhk for there one piece tv documentary, to make it as accurately as possible the people counted on the survey wasn't not the person who bought it but the person the manga was meant for, so if an adult bought it they would be asked who it was meant for ,that persons age and gender.

I can post the tv documentary but am going to do that later on another day, there's some interesting stuff on there don't have the time now.

Even if we assume that the results are completely representative rather than NHK fishing up an eye-catching number for their human-interest docu like every other human-interest docu ever, we can safely say that no more than half of the people who read One Piece are adults.

Uchip

Banned
Even if we assume that the results are completely representative rather than NHK fishing up an eye-catching number for their human-interest docu like every other human-interest docu ever, we can safely say that no more than half of the people who read One Piece are adults.

even a third of the fans would be a massive number of people...

Mandoric

Banned
even a third of the fans would be a massive number of people...

Like I said before, 10%-20% of tanks (a number I'd buy as totally plausible) is simultaneously a rounding error next to the kid fans and more people than buy Naruto or Bleach total.

Cwarrior

Now this gotten a bit silly now,gone from 88% to less then half thanks to your mad deduction skillz.

It's no surprise so many are over 18 when the manga has been running for like 15 years but nope doesn't matter cause your an expert in this field.

Someone starting one piece at the age of 10 would be 25 now.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 5

This was a fantastic episode; easily the best so far, and a clear improvement over the last, as it very skilfully balanced the comedy with several emotional moments and some excellently intriguing romantic foreshadowing. Though indistinct and brief, these moments of foreshadowing indicate a gradual transition towards an increased focus on the romantic aspect of the story, which is quite satisfying. Also, there was a slightly nuanced emotional complexity added to the story, and, thankfully, it was handled really well. The pacing, compared to the last episode, improved considerably as well, since the story was able to confidently weave through nearly every single character, never faltering in it’s execution or losing focus of the central theme of the episode.

I loved that the focus of the narrative returned to the exploration of Rikka and Yuuta’s interesting and enjoyable dynamic. The ending was my favorite scene by far, since
Rikka’s subtle feelings for Yuuta appear, with that one moment, to have blossomed into love
. I really like that Yuuta consciously, and without reluctance,
offered Rikka a temporary glimpse of his “Dark Flame Master” persona
, since it indicates a
growing acceptance of his youthful delusions when he’s solely interacting with Rikka
. If not for the ending, my favorite scene would be the one in which
Rikka and Yuuta decide to exchange e-mails
. There was a slight melancholy that permeated the entire sequence, as a disconsolate
Rikka sadly notes that, until now, she didn't have any friends
, which was conveyed beautifully by her one line, in which she said,
"in this dimension, they are the only ones who acknowledge my presence"
. This was a suitably powerful moment, since it essentially provided a heightened level of insight and characterization for Rikka that had been vague and indistinct until she decided to
openly acknowledge her hidden emotions in front of Yuuta

Rikka suddenly
dropping the broomstick on Yuuta’s head while he was talking with Shinka at the pool
was highly amusing, as it seems to suggest a
subtle jealousy borne from the romantic feelings she has for Yuuta
. The small revelation that
Sanae's the smartest in her class
was actually quite surprising. Sanae's intermittent quarrels with Shinka are great, as their interactions are becoming one of the most enjoyable elements of the show. The comedy worked really well throughout, such as
Kumin calling Shinka deceptively plump and the entirety of the club’s visit to the shrine
. Also,
Touka's highly realistic game of house with Yumeha
was hilarious.

The majority of the characters remain immensely engaging. Rikka, particularly after this episode, is gradually developing into my favorite character. The development of Rikka and Yuuta's relationship is excellent in it's slow, but noticeable evolution. The ending, of course, seems to depict a
love-struck Rikka
, yet Yuuta still lingers on the precipice of a seemingly indiscernible
attraction and connection towards her, potentially unwilling to realize his feelings
. Despite this, he still extensively cares for her, illustrated by
his diligence in helping her learn the math she so frequently withdrew from understanding, as well as his unconcerned endeavor to wash the dishes for her
. Despite their contrasting personalities, they have considerable chemistry, most evident during their numerous playful interactions, which continue to be the best element of the show.

I definitely prefer Shinka's role as Sanae's adversary and her altered personality. I also like how prevalent Kumin was throughout the episode, since her brief interludes are hilarious. Yuuta's family, particularly his mother, are extremely entertaining. As for Rikka’s family, I’m hoping that the question of
why her sister is the only one around
will be explored as the story progresses, since, so far, it appears that
Rikka has adopted her chuunibyou tendencies as a fantastical façade to her pain; a pain that could very well be largely due to the issues with her parents

The production values really are outstanding, particularly the direction, which was especially great during both scenes that involved
the exchanging of Rikka and Yuuta’s e-mails
, as it captured the many disparate emotions surrounding these moments brilliantly. The lighting was also rather effective in these two sequences, as the contrast in tone is visually displayed by the darkness in the somber kitchen scene and the comparative brightness of the conclusion. The scene where Rikka
searches for a solution
during her test was very well-animated, and, as usual, I felt that the animation shone most with the plethora of dynamic facial reactions and exaggerated movements, such as
Sanae’s gestures towards Shinka
in nearly every scene between them and the moment
Yuuta temporarily indulges his Dark Flame Master form
. The background art was a highlight of this episode, as it was incredibly detailed, especially Rikka's room. As for the music, the mournful piano selection that was used throughout the kitchen sequence illuminated the atmosphere of that particular moment wonderfully.

All in all, Chuunibyou is excelling in many areas, and it’s quickly becoming one of the very best shows of the season, as it portrays the bittersweet and fleeting nature of adolescence quite well. I’m really looking forward to the progression of the story, since, thankfully, following the under whelming previous episode, the narrative has shifted focus back to Rikka and Yuuta’s developing relationship, which is thoroughly interesting and compelling. It seems likely that the latter half of the story will include, along with more romance, an increase of occasional drama, so hopefully KyoAni will consistently be able to handle these elements as well as they did in this episode.

Mandoric

Banned
Now this gotten a bit silly now,gone from 88% to less then half thanks to your mad deduction skillz.

It's no surprise so many are over 18 when the manga has been running for like 15 years but nope doesn't matter cause your an expert in this field.

Someone starting one piece at the age of 10 would be 25 now.

It's not my fault you're so shabby of an armchair analyst that you can't deal with the basic math of what happens when the 3 million paperback-buying 35-year-olds you heard about on TV once meet the 3 million magazine-buying 12-year-olds as recorded in the demographics data put out by the industry in order to properly guide ad buyers.

You know, armchair analyst is the wrong word at that point. High-chair analyst? Carseat analyst?

Risette

A Good Citizen
It's not my fault you're so shabby of an armchair analyst that you can't deal with the basic math of what happens when the 3 million paperback-buying 35-year-olds you heard about on TV once meet the 3 million magazine-buying 12-year-olds as recorded in the demographics data put out by the industry in order to properly guide ad buyers.

You know, armchair analyst is the wrong word at that point. High-chair analyst? Carseat analyst?
floorsitting analyst

wonzo

Banned
Gakkatsu! 11-12

gakkatsu11.jpg

lewd

It's definitely referring to Precure; looking at the image and date it's specifically talking about the first series, Futari wa Pretty Cure, prior to its debut in 2004.

(You don't even need to read Japanese to figure this out!)
Well, that's what I get for not noticing the copyright year! lol

O, well, unless they write "precure" in Chinese kanji I'm right there with ya, buddy.

I was just so proud of myself for being able to read all the category headers in the chart!
Maybe it's a sign... *stares at Genki textbook*

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Baccano! End

Wow. What a spectacular, amazing, thrilling little series this was. If this isn't on your radar, it probably should be. This is definitely one of those shows where it really pays to pay attention, and I could easily see myself marathoning another view, soaking in all the details. The pacing was brilliant, despite jumping around so frequently between the years during the early 30's. Every episode has balance and pace, every episode answers questions, yet leaves you wanting to know more. The flashback episode aboard the ship is a perfect example of how you can both give answers, and retain mystery. To satisfy without alluding - without sacrificing atmosphere or emotion - is hard to do. The dialog is more revealing of the characters than the story, and direct exposition is rarely given to the viewer. A show this smart is really a treat.

Baccano is also surprisingly violent. I really wasn't expecting that. Not so much in how explicit the content was (though it was explicit), but in how many people died. I simply lost count at all the people who were shot, stabbed, smashed, dismembered, set on fire, and crushed almost every episode. Despite setting up a series around a group of characters who can't die the theme is still incredibly dark and claustrophobic. Everyone is sadistic, everyone is has a condition. Ladd was a joy to watch. The animation, the soundtrack, the designs, everything was soo good. What I wouldn't do to have an OVA of this.

My only regret is that it took me until episode 12 to realize how awesome Nice is. They rarely focused on her, but man she is hot. I love how she got off on blowing people's shit up. It's like she was having little orgasms with every delightful explosion.

1236239-80F3DHQ.gif

Throw a bomb. Orgasm.

sonicmj1

Fuck, I didn't even notice that computer.

What a dumbass!

Computers are also a liability.

No main characters sitting right next to the window? In a Slice of Life romantic comedy?

What is this madness.

Also, I like how Nibutani is pretty much the only girl in class in no ribbon for her school uniform. Who does she think she is?

In Toradora, the main character also sits in the center of the room.

cajunator

Banned
Today's dose of hnng:
Chuunibyo 05, Girls und Panzer, Tonari 05

Will I finish watching before I pass out on my keyboard? Stay tuned!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Been evaluating what I should do when I finish YuruYuri. I watched the first episode of Darker Than Black and enjoyed it, but I didn't continue on for some reason. Might pick back up on that. May also start watching My Little Monster since a lot of people are saying it's good. Will look to see if Amazon has anything interesting as well.
Well if you liked the YuruYuri formula you could check out Azumanga Daioh.

And I guess I can include my arbitrary recommendation of Mitsudomoe.

Who even has books now? I just have files on my computer.
I always find it funny that these kids often having technically advanced phones and yet resort to just primitive methods like lad mags. Perhaps they buy them for the articles.

The Chuunibyou ED is basically an inferior version of the K-ON EDs.
That's why you stick with the Chuunibyou Lite ED. The best of the bunch.

And I hate Thursday mornings. Everyone has watched Chuuni while I'm a sleep and I can't watch it until I get home from work by which point it is yesterday's news.

Metrotab

Banned
There's a translated Japanese note by the staff out there that says episode 5 is where Chuunibyou's story properly starts. The first 4 were meant for character introductions.

Grzi

Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date! - 05

A great, touching (in a subtle way) episode, this show has just reached new heights. I just hope they don't forget about the action sequences, I really enjoyed those, I'm kind of hoping to see Dark Flame Master jump in on the action, even use his sword maybe? That would be neat. This show really brings out the kid in me, more so than any other show in recent memory. KyoAni are the best
right after BONES. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom