• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm really liking Blast of Tempest, hopefully that potential isn't wasted.

Hail our risen martyr!

So who invited you? We were going to drag you in here anyway to give you a safe place to incubate until you hit full member but I guess that's not an issue now!
still stick around

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. We all have differing viewpoints, and though my use of words may have been lacking, I did hope to engage in thought provoking discussions on the series I brought up.

If anyone still has feedback for my latest post I would appreciate your thoughts, especially if you have watched the series.

duckroll

Blasty's Tempest - Episode 5

Once again the series manages to significantly improve on the manga material, elevating the source into something which feels more meaningful and also more exciting. There's original content here which does a really good job of contrasting the world before via flashbacks, and the world after via the present day scenes. It was pretty well thought out, and does a good job of making both the antagonists and the protagonists seem smarter. It's an interesting encounter which also introduces us to a character who otherwise had a very mundane role in the manga.

I've also noticed that in the last two episodes, the show specifically made it a point to show what happens to animals when the Black Iron Syndrome hits a location. This is something the manga never really ever bothered to touch on, and while it is not a major point, it is a detail which the anime uses to its advantage to build on the somber feel of the adaptation. By adding more details and fleshing out the situation, it feels more real - and also more tragic. Much of the mood achieved so far is something the original source never had.

As the anime continues with the adaptation, it is going to be really interesting to see what direction they will take the upcoming events. I'm really quite excited because unlike the manga which felt like it started pulling random shit out of its ass, the anime feels really well planned out, with very deliberate scenes. For example, this episode reveals the cause of something which was shown at the end of episode 3, and none of that was in the manga. It is very promising to see the anime add completely original scenes which serve to build the backstory and the characters in a compelling way.

tl;dr - Andowatch continues, and it's still good! :D

c3TBP.jpg
Zq21G.jpg

Nice scene contrast, it's all the little details which makes this show...

I'm really liking Blast of Tempest, hopefully that potential isn't wasted.

There is no way it can. The writer of the source wrote one of the best manga on the market, and there is no way such good characters in the anime can be in anime that will be lacking in quality, the fourth episode even. Only real issue is the girl on the island is pretty pointless and awful, but otherwise tied for best anime of the season.

Syrinx

YuruYuri 18

My balls are tired, too.

Good to see an more cohesive episode than the last handful. Was getting a bit annoyed with the disjointed, individual segment structure.

So Kyoko brings Yui back to Comuket, along with Akari and Chinatsu. This time she made a full-fleshed Mirakurun anime, where Rivalrun and stupid robot ball steal all the (sporting) balls in the world as a part of their plan to take over the world. I'm not exactly sure how that's supposed to work, so I'll just chalk that up to Kyoko's anime being totally stupid. Anyway, this ends with Mirakurun adn Rivalrun bowling with stupid robot ball as the ball. I forget why.

I like the gag in this show of young, little children saying "Life is bitter" when they discover that Chinatsu isn't the real Mirakurun. Just thought I'd point that out.

Some friend you are, Chitose. If you knew that Ayano would be upset at not being invited by Kyoko to go to Comuket, why didn't you, you know...bring her yourself? I guess she figured Ayano would only go at Kyoko's invitation, but she could have called her after she realized that Kyoko and friends were already there.

Kyoko should really consider investing in a new box. While I'm on that subject, this is another running gag I enjoy.

Noirulus

They point out that she is hanging out less and less with the cheerleaders.

At least, I think they do. lol

Ahh, that.
Actually, that's what made me question her motives even more. At first I thought that it might have been because she didn't like the other cheerleaders as Kumin says, but her lack of urgency in finishing up her matters with Dekomori leads me to think that maybe she's hanging out with the cast because she doesn't have any friends. I could simply be over-thinking it though, haha.

Narag

Galactic Cyclone Bryger 28

DiH3Xl.png

It's sort of neat how J9's relationship with local law enforcement has gone from Zenigata & Lupin shenanigans to like sort sort of unspoken agreement.

I'm impressed. This little two parter actually overachieved a bit. Mystery sort of comes together, another growing one ties into it, the Nubia Connection is active in the background so the growing threat isn't forgotten, the super robot was used sparingly, and Angel Omachi finally gets some character development after episodes mostly focused on Blaster Kid and Speedy Bowie. It's basically the sort of thing I'd been wanting from the show that I didn't think I would get what with requisite robot stuff taking up air time.

Qdratl.png

oZWmPl.png

The foot stuff paid off.
Turns out he was the killer she was after.
looool

Blasty

Hail our risen martyr!

So who invited you? We were going to drag you in here anyway to give you a safe place to incubate until you hit full member but I guess that's not an issue now!
still stick around

Well, uh, thanks all!
I never know how to respond to flattery.
Anyway, M_Night invited me.

There is no way it can. The writer of the source wrote one of the best manga on the market, and there is no way such good characters in the anime can be in anime that will be lacking in quality, the fourth episode even. Only real issue is the girl on the island is pretty pointless and awful, but otherwise tied for best anime of the season.

This made me do a bit of Google, (ing?) and all I can say is, "Indeed." May I ask what the other anime is, in your opinion?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ahh, that.
Actually, that's what made me question her motives even more. At first I thought that it might have been because she didn't like the other cheerleaders as Kumin says, but her lack of urgency in finishing up her matters with Dekomori leads me to think that maybe she's hanging out with the cast because she doesn't have any friends. I could simply be over-thinking it though, haha.
When the club formed, I figured this show was basically BokuTomo/Haganai 2.0 but with better characters and less harem hijinks. lol

Jarmel

Banned
Psycho-Pass 4-
This was an alright episode that talked about a growing trend in the past couple of years in regards to attaching a sense of liability to the anonymity of the internet. Due to the way the internet is, we have people calling other individuals whatever they want and posting whatever they want because nobody can hold them liable. Having a literal squad for something like this is rather 'on the nose' but I understand the general gist of it.
I thought the episode was neat in regards to the audience seeing what the internet looks like and in particular, forums. While the idea of controlling cartoon-like avatars isn't fairly new by any stretch of the imagination as seen by shows such as Summer Wars or Accel World, I did find the structure of the internet itself fairly interesting. Usually from what I've seen in a future type set-up, the internet is one big connected place while here it's broken up a bit. It's a rather minor difference but I found it interesting.
Visually this was probably the most interesting episode of all four although not necessarily the best due to the insane attention to detail in the premier. The way the different communities were demonstrated visually was really quite fun. We also got some wideface this episode. Again the weakest component of the show is the character animation style. If that was better then I would really regard this as a gorgeous show due to how amazing the background art is at times however the inconsistency of the character art keeps throwing me for a loop.
There was very little worldbuilding compared to the prior episodes except for again illustrating flaws with the Sibyl system in that Dominators can actually be detected and the reinforcement about how stupid tazing people who's Criminal Coefficient temporarily goes up.

The problem I have with the show right now is that it's merely good. Nothing has really kicked off into high gear and everything just feels like the traditional going through the paces. They haven't really done much wrong but they also haven't done anything exceptional either. I also feel a lot of the social commentary is fairly light and not substantial in the way GITS was. While this is kinda a component of Urobuchi, it really feels apparent so far and in a negative manner. We're now 4 episodes in and not much has happened. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt as it's 2-cour but I'm kinda losing patience.

I also love the name Spookie Boogie.

Joe Molotov

Galactic Cyclone Bryger 28

I'm impressed. This little two parter actually overachieved a bit. Mystery sort of comes together, another growing one ties into it, the Nubia Connection is active in the background so the growing threat isn't forgotten, the super robot was used sparingly, and Angel Omachi finally gets some character development after episodes mostly focused on Blaster Kid and Speedy Bowie. It's basically the sort of thing I'd been wanting from the show that I didn't think I would get what with requisite robot stuff taking up air time.

Damn, I guess the way to a woman's heart is through her feet. Rex Ryan has made fools of us all.

What the fuck just happened?

so unexpected ... for a moment i thought i did a mistake while handling my cellphone ...
-----
Anyway .. for those who follow K .how does it gets ? EP1 was underwhelming ? should i continue ?

Chuunibyou 1 - 5

Oh yeah, something bothered me regarding Nibutani.
I know she's embarrassed speaking about her past chuunibyou-ness, but couldn't she easily convince Dekomori that she's the real Mori Summer as she's got lots of evidence? I'm thinking there's more to her joining the club than just getting back all the copies of her book from Dekomori.

i think all that evidence got destroyed by mori summer

so unexpected ... for a moment i thought i did a mistake while handling my cellphone ...
-----
Anyway .. for those who follow K .how does it gets ? EP1 was underwhelming ? should i continue ?

I really like K, I thought each episode was a bit better and better, pretty comical as well. Character interactions are my favorite part.

This made me do a bit of Google, (ing?) and all I can say is, "Indeed." May I ask what the other anime is, in your opinion?

K

Zetsuen no Tempest 05

At least the show knows how silly their Shakespeare quotes are.

Really nice episode. The action scenes were nice, the flashback really helps add to the whole episode, hell all of the original anime stuff just builds onto the existing work and makes it flow much better and develops Yoshiro much better than the manga can ever hope to.

Still feels bad for this guy. Even in another adaptation, he still gets the short end of the stick.

Syrinx

YuruYuri 19

Akari's sister....What. The. Fuck. DOES SHE REALLY HAVE A FUCKING LOVE PILLOW WITH HER MOTHERFUCKING LITTLE SISTER ON IT?! AND WHAT THE FUCK WITH THE UNIFORM AND THE WEARING HER PANTIES OVER HER FUCKING HEAD?! Why doesn't she just have tea with her real sister? Oh, right, because then she couldn't smell her uniform and WEAR HER PANTIES OVER HER HEAD!

She needs help. Even more than Chizuru.

Tell me this doesn't get weirder, or I might have to bail the fuck out. Would be a shame since I've come all this way.

Oh fuck me, I'm not backing out now. Well played YuruYuri writers. Putting all this weird shit in just as I'm too invested to back out. Though I kinda blame myself; shoulda seen it coming after the first episode. But I was hoping this wouldn't go there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Chu2 5:
Hey, this show is actually becoming worthwhile.

Still 80% panderbait though.

Jex

Chu2 5:
Hey, this show is actually becoming worthwhile.

Still 80% panderbait though.

That sounds like a Hyouka line of reasoning to me. I guess it could also apply in this case, but I find that hard to believe.

That's a pretty accurate description, lol.

Yeah, but I think she still has enough evidence that she is Mori Summer as Nibutani remembers the e-mails that Dekomori sent her (ep. 4).

Watch her say that she is an envoy of the governement sent to erase all the evidence she has .... How dare you try to trick her !!

Jex

[Cross Game] - 27

There's very little that can surprise me about the way this show unfolds and yet it remains compelling nevertheless. I don't know if that's a sign of good storytelling or simply the power that certain formulaic shows nevertheless have despite their repetitive nature and predictable content. I think thing that keeps me returning to this series is the characters - this isn't surprising or unusual but it's shocking how many shows have unlike able characters that you could never care about. The same is not true here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That sounds like a Hyouka line of reasoning to me. I guess it could also apply in this case, but I find that hard to believe.
Funny you should mention that as I had Hyouka in mind when I wrote that. The only difference is I watched Hyouka after 2 seasons of screencaps and gifs, while this time I'm watching it as it airs.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
YuruYuri 19

Oh fuck me, I'm not backing out now. Well played YuruYuri writers. Putting all this weird shit in just as I'm too invested to back out. Though I kinda blame myself; shoulda seen it coming after the first episode. But I was hoping this wouldn't go there.

Told ya the first episode was significant. If it makes you feel better she is the result of a retcon. Originally she was the older brother, but of course that wouldn't sit well in this yuri world.

Oh and favourite animation studio that no one ever mentions: Bridge.

K 05

iN3H8BFjXtIeW.gif

BOOM! AND HE GOES DOWN!

Not a bad episode since the fight took most of the time. Fight wasn't bad, just random blue and red flares and lots of movement running around.

But really, skateboarder idiot? One of your moves is spinning around to create a red flare tornado that doesn't move? What the hell are you expecting that to do? So good to see your ass get kicked around by Mr.Blue.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

There's a first time for everything.

In this case, I agree with DTL about a girl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Cross Game] - 27

There's very little that can surprise me about the way this show unfolds and yet it remains compelling nevertheless. I don't know if that's a sign of good storytelling or simply the power that certain formulaic shows nevertheless have despite their repetitive nature and predictable content. I think thing that keeps me returning to this series is the characters - this isn't surprising or unusual but it's shocking how many shows have unlike able characters that you could never care about. The same is not true here.
Are you into the cousin-fucking yet?

Funny you should mention that as I had Hyouka in mind when I wrote that. The only difference is I watched Hyouka after 2 seasons of screencaps and gifs, while this time I'm watching it as it airs.
After 2 seasons? But it just finished!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Tell me more... I'll eat all the pandabait...

The main female character who the title is based on is a cute girl named Takanashi Rikka with lovely zettai ryouki who keeps playing as a messenger of darkness.

The next girl introduced is Nibutani Shinka who has beautiful long hair, is a cheerleader, and a wink to die for.

Tsuyuri Kumin is a cute senpai to the other characters who adds to their club a "Nap Club", seems to always have a pillow on hand, and will sleep adorably everywhere.

Dekomori Sanae is Rikka's loyal disciple, with long twin tails with weights tied to the ends so she can swing them around as weapons.

Takanashi Touka is Rikka's older sister. She's mean with a soup scoop and is a bad ass.

The main character Yuuta also has an adorable mother and two imoutos, though only one of them is near his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom