• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

For more casual/otaku-ish design, I like Takeuchi (I'm gonna got a lot bash for this, oh well) and Suzuhito Yasuda (DRRR!!, Yozakura Q, and a lot of game)

Some design in Towa no Quon by Toshihiro Kawamoto are sweet.. too bad most of them and the OVA itself are bland and bad, won't mind he working with Watanabe again though.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Suite Precure - 35

Zule1.png

4v89t.gif

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK EVERYTHING! Waon gets passed up for this punk?!! Raaaawghhh!

Uchip

Banned
I love the older styles of Akira Toriyama and Osamu Tezuka
really diverse range of characters due to having aliens, animals and robots etc
these days everyone seems stuck drawing generic humans with realistic proportions apart from the heads

cant think of a recent style that I actually like... maybe someone from sunrise who worked on bebop and Tiger and Bunny or something

well, it's normaly a combination of original and anime character designer.

- Katanagatari
- Bakemonogatari
- everything Ume involved
- Tsuritama
- the second Prism Nana PV

are all animes, I have seen in the last time, with great character designs.

Grzi

Some character designers I like are Yoshihiko Umakoshi, Kenichi Yoshida, Toshihiro Kawamoto, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Range Murata, Masami Obari (guilty pleasure) and Satoshi Urushihara although he hasn't done much noteworthy anime work.
I also like what Yuuichi Takahashi did for Tsuritama, although I haven't seen anything else done by him.

/XX/

What a master is Mr. Hisaishi! But, of course, I don't want to forget about Harry Hosono's contribution, his production of the theme single that made a parallel sweet reminiscence of Nausicaä's legend for trailers and such, with an additional flavor of the more innocent and bright 80s:

Narumi Yasuda - Kaze no Tani no Naushika Single (Full Album) - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC43HtG68lg

As a bonus (and hommage):

Ryuichi Sakamoto & Takako Minekawa - 「Kaze no tani no Naushika」『風の谷のナウシカ』 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxeXABl_ogQ

But really, this was the moment that sold the episode and probably the series. I hope it avoids the melodrama trap and just treats junior high as a bittersweet memory rather than something traumatic. It's probably as close as KyoAni has gotten to a moment similar to Nagato crying when she gets the form back anyway.
True to your fame, right firehawk12? I love that! But yeah, that is what I came to expect from it since the previous episodes, specially things like how the very end of the first episode deals Yūta acceptance of that phase out of nostalgia, but shows at the same time that childish reluctance in such a nice moment, that made me think these will be moments remembered fondly on their end, after all is done.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Macross Plus 1-4 [End]
kBL1e.jpg

What an absolutely incredible production.

From beginning to end, Macross Plus is consistently engaging and beautiful, both in it's ideas and execution. This isn't the first time I've seen Macross Plus. Like some of the other entries in the Macross franchise, Macross Plus belongs to a blurry menage that helped capitalize my love for Japanese Animation during my formative years. I think it's a true testament to a product's worth when not only does revisiting it not leave you begrudging your rose tinted glasses, but also allows you to gain more respect from it's delivery. This came primarily to me from Plus' story of love and envy. It seemed like a pretty cut and dry idea in my head, but seeing the delivery again and how subtle, but endearing and painful Isamu and Guld's story is actually touched me a bit.

Seeing that Shoji Kawamori was the director of both this and Macross Zero actually made me realize the way that human emotion is expressed in this and Zero are pretty similar. Both had a song tied to this on-screen emotion: Voices being the obvious one for Plus and Arkan being the song for Zero. Both works also used a quick flashing of images from a person's life when things were beginning to overflow. A specifically effective use of this is when
we're brought to Guld's realization that he's been suppressing memories of raping Myung-- the one whom he and Isamu swore their lives to protect.
I guess I was a bit blindsided by how well the story was told.

The art and animation in Plus is superb. I had to keep pausing just because I wanted to get screen grabs of some of the finer backgrounds and cityscapes. Here's some notable ones:

It's really easy to recommend Macross Plus to just about anyone. To me, it really embodies some golden age quality. Go watch it if you haven't already.

Macross Zero, SDF Macross, Macross II and now Macross Plus. Guess It's time to try out Macross 7? I really have no idea about the rest.

Macross Plus is one of the best animes I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. Simply stunning from beginning to end.

The real question is: Blu-Ray when?

I'd buy it at a high price!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Some choice extracts from ANN's October reviews:

and:

In all fairness, the rest of their SAO review goes on to point out how bad the writing in the show is.

That, and he's also right about the Silica episode.

You guys have funny double standards sometimes.

mAcOdIn

My little fox can't be this cute - 05

Why does Kami-sama Hajimemashita keep being entertaining ? i don't know ..
i guess i can watch those kind of show as long as the heroine isn't totally incompetent ..
( saiunkoku monogatari is still the best however )

Anyway , Kami-sama Hajimemashita Ep 5 was alright.. i still can't figure what does mikage was thinking when she lent her mark our heroine , and the show doesn't think i need to know ATM ..fine .

Thunder dieties sure are annoying ....
This show's actually my secret favorite show of the season.

I was a little disappointed in how she resolved the crises, I'd have preferred it if she did it with no help from anyone else but, well, she is just a human.

Also, I love how Nanami's always wearing something different. They could make a Style Savvy game just off the shit she wears because she's in so many different outfits. The OP alone probably has her in more different outfits than most heroines wear in entire seasons in lesser shows. Cajunator would totally approve.

Shame it's on the same season as Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun which looks like the better show but actually isn't, because Haru sucks.

Oh as for Mikage's motives, well, he's a match-making God, right? What else would his motive be?

Pooya

Zetsuen no Tempest - 5

pretty good episode; a bit of action, plot going forward with a revelation, still really enjoying it, not much more to say.

crazy girl - 5
This episode, although being silly like the rest, had some really good moments, under all the silly faces you can see that KyoAni(TM) character development finally, I wonder if this is going to end up very emotional like Hyouka, there is potential if it gets a bit more serious as they 'grow' up. Watching Rikka communicating her feelings with her silly games was quite effective in this episode. thumbs up

gotta catch up on Psycho-Pass later.

/XX/

If Iwasaki Taku composing many show, sure.
Yeah. Never ceases to amaze me with those lyrics!

Was planning on going to check out the new Cyborg 009 movie last weekend, but discovered that it isn't playing anywhere in Nagasaki. I'd have to travel 2 hours to Fukuoka to watch it, which is a major bummer.

Blah!
Didn't you were on that same situation recently with another movie? The real reach even those internationally marketed and sufficiently relevant animation productions have on its own country really puts things into perspective, road-shows and similar notwithstanding.

I gotta watch more animu.
Don't force yourself, man... but if that makes you come here more often, I welcome it!

The real question is: Blu-Ray when?
I'm sure it will be coming fairly soon, as they are in the process of releasing Macross 7 (http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120621_541588.html), with its second box pending, and they are still promoting the 30th anniversary of the franchise with new products (they certainly didn't forget of Macross PLUS for the 25th anniversary either). Coincidentally, I remember some comments saying it would be the next one in line to receive that treatment.

Suite Precure - 32
Cure Muse got some attention this episode.
I wish she would just say something already instead of having her fairy tone act as rep for her. :(

More importantly,
reveal her identity already!

Ok ..you're close ...
Suite Precure - 33
Cure Beat holding down the fort while Hibiki and Kanade participate in their respective competitions.

Nice to see Hibiki's dad
not be an asshole when it came time to praising her musical talents
What you re looking at ? Wait never mind ..don't answer that ...

Suite Precure - 34
Oh what the fuck
Cure Muse!
*throws chair*
your chair will join the mountain of chait throw by those disapointed ( pretty tall moutain already )

Suite Precure - 35
4v89t.gif

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK EVERYTHING! Waon gets passed up for this punk?!! Raaaawghhh!
Well since she didn't pass the early episode when hibiki and kanade were looking for muse .her chances have been more than slim ....also not enough exposition and forshadowing ... it couldn't be her .. Cure muse ..well was better masked

This show's actually my secret favorite show of the season.

I was a little disappointed in how she resolved the crises, I'd have preferred it if she did it with no help from anyone else but, well, she is just a human.

Also, I love how Nanami's always wearing something different. They could make a Style Savvy game just off the shit she wears because she's in so many different outfits. The OP alone probably has her in more different outfits than most heroines wear in entire seasons in lesser shows. Cajunator would totally approve.

Shame it's on the same season as Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun which looks like the better show but actually isn't, because Haru sucks.

Oh as for Mikage's motives, well, he's a match-making God, right? What else would his motive be?
Oh you're right ... this is a love comedy after all ...why did i miss this ..i will keep my expectations in check ...

Medaka Box Abnormal 4

Kind of half and half on the fight. I liked seeing
super balls
make a return but otherwise why is Medaka so overpowered? Im usually not a fan of the simplest of fights just throwing fists and what nots so it didnt really excite me. However the best part of the event was a mix between Zenkichi's commentary and the surprising
Phantom Shockwave, was it, that was just plain awesome, if she can pull out more of these things than maybe she will be a decent character

Perhaps this was the first time I paid attention to the opening, but I want to see the random dude there at the final seconds of it that appears to be in some shape of the box in the icon, and I just noticed that for an action anime, the opening oddly lacks characters running randomly.

Preview:
Kei Munakata seems like he will be excellent, second best of the class 13 for me thus far, after Unzen of course

Kazzy

Medaka Box Abnormal 4

Kind of half and half on the fight. I liked seeing
super balls
make a return but otherwise why is Medaka so overpowered?

That's the point with her, and the series never tries to disguise the fact that she is genuinely OP. I mean, Zenkichi's purpose is essentially to act as her foil.

Defuser

Psycho Pass ep 4
Man what's with Production IG and blenders? First Blood.C, now this.

oh and Takehito Koyasu is on the roll for taking on creepy villains roles.

That's the point with her, and the series never tries to disguise the fact that she is genuinely OP. I mean, Zenkichi's purpose is essentially to act as her foil.

I think its the weakest part of the series, it takes all the fun and surprise out of the fights, or usually leads me to wanting to see the opponent succeed against her. Maybe thats why Zenkichi's moments are far more rewarding and interesting to me, even Akune's.

sonicmj1

While we're talking about character designers, I have to nominate Masashi Ando. In my backlog season, Paranoia Agent's character designs were really expressive, somehow striking a balance between being exaggerated caricature and maintaining a sense of realistic authenticity. Characters in other shows look very flat by comparison.

cajunator

Banned
The insinuation that Tanaka (character designer of Toradora) deserves to be named alongside Okiura, Ando, Ryo-timo or even Nishiya is ridiculous at best.

Those names dont mean much without a picture example.
Can you link to some of their work like I did with my post?
It helps to explain the sorts of designs you prefer rather than just a name.
Or at least link to their ANN/Wiki page.

cjkeats

I haven't watched enough anime to like any specific character designers, but I liked the Bakemonogatari designs quite a bit.
I love myself a good ahoge.

Uchip

Banned
The insinuation that Tanaka (character designer of Toradora) deserves to be named alongside Okiura, Ando, Ryo-timo or even Nishiya is ridiculous at best.

I didnt see anyone insinuate that
but if they did then I agree, toradoras characters are completely unremarkable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom