• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I don't think Tanaka is as good as some of the others, nor do I think his work in Toradora is his best work. He does produce identifiable characters with designs well-suited for animation, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think Tanaka is as good as some of the others, nor do I think his work in Toradora is his best work. He does produce identifiable characters with designs well-suited for animation, though.
On this, I have to say that it's always a bit disappointing seeing ABe's designs simplified so that they can actually be animated. His series never really quite live up to his art.

cajunator

Banned
On this, I have to say that it's always a bit disappointing seeing ABe's designs simplified so that they can actually be animated. His series never really quite live up to his art.

Haibane being my favorite series ever I cant really complain about it at all, but you're right. theres no way his artwork can be fully realized by animation. The same goes for Range Murata's amazing art deco characters. I still love those designs though. Some really unique stuff.

jman2050

I like Toradora's character designs (and Tanaka's work in general) but I'm not going to call them exceptional or anything like that.

Besides, Yasu Toradora >>>> Tanaka Toradora.

Suite Precure - 36

Everything is finally out in the open, but holy shit at Falsetto revealing himself to be head honcho behind everything. :lol
you should know by now that magical powers can change one appearance in the precure universe.. don't think too much about it

cajunator

Banned

By the way, where did you find that picture in your avatar?
I likes it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
My favorite designers are Toshiyuki Kubooka, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Kosuke Fujishima, Mel Kishida, Takehito Harada, Gosho Aoyama, and Hidenori Matsuraba.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not really anime but what I wouldn't give to see Yuji Himukai's (Etrian Odyssey) designs in motion.

Kagami

So who are yall favorite character designers anyway?

Do you mean specifically animation character design or just character illustrators in general?
There's some skilled people doing adaptation work, but the better they are the more likely they are to be invisible. (e.g. can you name the character designer for the Denpa Onna anime?)

I know I suffer from that--when I think of anime character designers I like, it's either original works where they created the look from scratch, or adaptations where their designs differ significantly from the source material.
Haruhiko Mikimoto (Macross, Gunbuster), Rinshin (Queen's Blade, Ikki Tousen), and Takamura Kazuhiro (Strike Witches, Mahoromatic, Vivid Red Operation) come to mind.

Articalys

I don't know 95% of these names and I'm goddamn proud of that fact for once. The only ones I recognize are the people who are usually credited for "original character design," like a handful of LN illustrators and such.

duckroll

Character designers? Sounds like Akihiro Yamada needs some representation here!

RzVJq.jpg

WVV7H.jpg

yh3jJ.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Do you mean specifically animation character design or just character illustrators in general?
There's some skilled people doing adaptation work, but the better they are the more likely they are to be invisible. (e.g. can you name the character designer for the Denpa Onna anime?)

I know I suffer from that--when I think of anime character designers I like, it's either original works where they created the look from scratch, or adaptations where their designs differ significantly from the source material.
Haruhiko Mikimoto (Macross, Gunbuster), Rinshin (Queen's Blade, Ikki Tousen), and Takamura Kazuhiro (Strike Witches, Mahoromatic, Vivid Red Operation) come to mind.

Whichever you prefer. Buriki is the one who gets credit for the Denpa Onna/Erio design IMO although whoever adapted it made it SUPER cute.

Character designers? Sounds like Akihiro Yamada needs some representation here!

RzVJq.jpg

WVV7H.jpg

yh3jJ.jpg

I greatly appreciate the Twelve Kingdoms character designs. Especially Rakushun.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Well to be fair, he was giving a hint to what noises she'd make.

If she makes that sound when slapped, you can imagine my projections...

Some good names above. I admit to liking:

Shirow Masamune (early work)
Range Murata

I don't hold either of these in super high regard or anything, but I didn't see them mentioned. Masamune for some of his groundbreaking original work, and Murata mostly for his research and technical abilities.

I also like Shunya Yamashita for pin-up stuff, but I don't consider him to be a great designer.

cajunator

Banned
If she makes that sound when slapped, you can imagine my projections...

Some good names above. I admit to liking:

Shirow Masamune (early work)
Range Murata

I don't hold either of these in super high regard or anything, but I didn't see them mentioned. Masamune for some of his groundbreaking original work, and Murata mostly for his research and technical abilities.

I also like Shunya Yamashita for pin-up stuff, but I don't consider him to be a great designer.

I mentioned Range..

7Th

IM@S PSP OVAs

Jesus, Groovy Tune was so much better than the other 2 it isn't even funny. Noriko Takao delivers yet again.

cajunator

Banned
Only Heartcatch and Smile have decent animation, tho. Suite tends to look fairly ugly most of the time.

I cannot judge Suite. Havent seen any of it, just a bit of Heartcatch and about 5 eps of Smile.
Will probably do a Precure marathon once I get my 7/7 back again (assuming more dispatchers don't quit)

Jex

Only designers I know by name are ABe and Sadamoto, both of whom I love.

I guess CLAMP (gods) also counts.

Other than that, I like the Bakemonogatari guy although his work on TWGOK was questionable.

No Kenchi Sonoda? He's not particularly amazing but I feel like his work is fairly well known. I like the RahXephon dude as well.

/XX/

I do, I love "voluminous" designs in general.
Seeing you mention Mr. Tanaka precisely made me think on him!

I was searching for a good quality video of the opening from Popolocrois Story II as a very simple example of it, but I can't find something I'd like to show...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I must be the only person in the world who actively dislikes Sadamoto's designs. Evangelion will always be tainted by those awful 90's chins and noses.

Theonik

capitalism, ho!
Should be the main theme of a PreCure show already.

No I mean the style of the shows, the music, the animation quality, all of it.
Not the raison d'etre.
I see. Admitedly though PreCure shows vary a fair deal in this respect so I wouldn't personally group them.
Edit:
HeartCatch and from what I hear parts of smile are the only ones with really notable animation. And even HC varies greatly on an episode basis as is typical of Toei shows.

Dead

well not really...yet
Kenichi Yoshida
Nobuteru Yuuki
Toshihiro Kawamoto

Akihiro Yamada is one too, though only worked on a few shows

Oh, and Kazuto Nakazawa too

cajunator

Banned
duckroll's posted him - it's Akihiro Yamada.

While I feel a little like I'm throwing in a name just because I know it, I've always liked Nobuteru Yuuki's designs - yes, even with the ski jump noses.

Oh shit. Him too. Too many great character designers. I tried looking at all the stuff in my room and trying to look up the names but it seems I missed some. In all fairness I posted it right before passing out in my chair this morning.

Should be the main theme of a PreCure show already.

I see. Admitedly though PreCure shows vary a fair deal in this respect so I wouldn't personally group them.

the variety is part of why I like them too.
The show has like nine iterations and they all look different. Its pretty neat.

/XX/

I must be the only person in the world who actively dislikes Sadamoto's designs. Evangelion will always be tainted by those awful 90's chins and noses.
Mr. Sadamoto style of drawing facial features has been getting more angular with time, but I think that what you mention isn't precisely very present on his own work (by own I mean his illustrations).

7Th

Seriously, Groovy Tune was really, really good for a glorified commercial. It paid perfect attention to body language and atmosphere, it was filled with lively animation and it was cute as hell. I kinda want to do a Jex-style post about it due to how good it was.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
[K]-05

I'm liking this show. Me love my sadistic men.

I also enjoy how they switched up the personality for the two leads.
The harden, cold one is an idiot.
While the excitable, cute one is more devilish.

Jex

[Blast of Tempest] - 5

I'm glad that I didn't drop this show after the, er, rather baffling first episode. The story and characters have more or less managed to develop to a point where I could theoretically care about what happens to them and the direction has been very strong throughout. After the events of the end of the episode, however, I am rather concerned about where the series is heading. It's never a good thing when characters talk about "the logic of the world."

One really great scene was
the flashback to Prospero getting surrounded when she was playing with kids in the river. The amount of damage she managed to cause with such a small talisman speaks volumes about how powerful a character she is and it was a great tie-back to the visual of the damaged mountain in an earlier episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom