• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Karneval PV looks amazing, lots of good character designs and action.
tumblr_mcs4bc5QZc1rjzx3do1_500.gif
tumblr_mcpzqiDiDs1rsdgxao1_500.gif

but the magical girl...

sonicmj1

Also, maybe I'm biased, but Yoshiyuki Sadamoto has worked on pretty much every remarkable thing that Gainax or Hosoda made. Because of this he created the characters in FLCL, as well as the character in my avatar, so I can't help but love him.

cajunator

Banned
Also, maybe I'm biased, but Yoshiyuki Sadamoto has worked on pretty much every remarkable thing that Gainax or Hosoda made. Because of this he created the characters in FLCL, as well as the character in my avatar, so I can't help but love him.

I do love his work and that of others who depict realistic designs, however if you look at my picks they were more stylistic choices. As I've said before, I'm a fan of eye designs and cute designs above all else, but I particularly appreciate unique immediately recognizeable styles.
I think fans of the character designer of Ano Hana/ Toradora/Ano Natsu like characters designed this way as well although he is not particularly a favorite of mine.

Uchip

Banned
going to catch flak for this but Eiichiro Oda has some of the most original characters
I guess thats more manga than anime though

sonicmj1 is right about FLCL etc too

going to catch flak for this but Eiichiro Oda has some of the most original characters
I guess thats more manga than anime though

sonicmj1 is right about FLCL etc too

Oda? I dont know, he has some prett awful designs, numerous characters seem to have the same base model (compare the new movie villain to his other villain designs and they all look the same ole dull big base), and then the female characters are all ruined by awful choices. Weakyhoshi for one decent but why did she have to be gigantic? Nico Robin, why does she have to be so old? Nami, why does she have to be so unclothed? Boa was the most decent.

Though I will say, ASL, are among my three favorite designs by Oda, and also Zoro and Sanji, and Traffy. His best are standard humans, but when you go into the realm of giving them awkward qualities he just loses his touch as the become giants, have unappealing super long noses or what not, and all of the non human designs are terrible --> way too kiddy.

fertygo

Oda? I dont know, he has some prett awful designs, numerous characters seem to have the same base model (compare the new movie villain to his other villain designs and they all look the same ole dull big base), and then the female characters are all ruined by awful choices. Weakyhoshi for one decent but why did she have to be gigantic? Nico Robin, why does she have to be so old? Nami, why does she have to be so unclothed? Boa was the most decent.

Though I will say, ASL, are among my three favorite designs by Oda, and also Zoro and Sanji, and Traffy. His best are standard humans, but when you go into the realm of giving them awkward qualities he just loses his touch as the become giants, have unappealing super long noses or what not, and all of the non human designs are terrible --> way too kiddy.

Why you must be concerned with age thing?

Uchip

Banned
lol @ old age being a detractor of character design
old and ugly people in anime are a chance for the designer to get extra creative with anatomy

so basically the further from gundam seed the less likely you want to bone them
got it

Uchip

Banned
flat faced how-to-draw-manga characters are a dime a dozen
give me more usopps, Kaijis and kame sennin in my anime thx

sonicmj1

I do love his work and that of others who depict realistic designs, however if you look at my picks they were more stylistic choices. As I've said before, I'm a fan of eye designs and cute designs above all else, but I particularly appreciate unique immediately recognizeable styles.
I think fans of the character designer of Ano Hana/ Toradora/Ano Natsu like characters designed this way as well although he is not particularly a favorite of mine.

Watching Toradora now, I think the work there is a little above average, but my issue with stuff like that (the reason I used the word "flat" to describe it) is that it feels like all the distinguishing characteristics in the design are packed into the hair and the eyes. They stand out and say a lot, but they're doing all the work, and it limits the fidelity you get when reading the character.

Especially for someone like Ando, every part of the character design gets used. A character's mouth may be a huge part of what defines them, or their nose, or their forehead. Rather than being basic Maromi-esque avatars of cuteness, they effortlessly gain texture and life before they say a word. And when they are cute (see Wolf Children when you can!), it doesn't take away any of their vibrant humanity.

That may not be what you're looking for in a character design, but I really appreciate it.

fertygo

Robin is an infinitely more interesting design for a female character than people give credit for.

I wish Oda drawing waist without looked too fucking scary though.. and Robin's design has been regressed since her Arabasta look, true story.

cajunator

Banned
Watching Toradora now, I think the work there is a little above average, but my issue with stuff like that (the reason I used the word "flat" to describe it) is that it feels like all the distinguishing characteristics in the design are packed into the hair and the eyes. They stand out and say a lot, but they're doing all the work, and it limits the fidelity you get when reading the character.

Especially for someone like Ando, every part of the character design gets used. A character's mouth may be a huge part of what defines them, or their nose, or their forehead. Rather than being basic Maromi-esque avatars of cuteness, they effortlessly gain texture and life before they say a word. And when they are cute (see Wolf Children when you can!), it doesn't take away any of their vibrant humanity.

That may not be what you're looking for in a character design, but I really appreciate it.

I like those too, they just aren't as distinguishable to me personally (they kind of blend into other designers stylewise). One character though that particularly stands out to me with regards to your description is Akio Kawazu. His expressions were so awesome. I think this is the type of character you are talking about. correct me if I'm wrong.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Space Brothers 28-30

The final scene with Mutta looking at the rocket, followed by dat ED...
Top 10 anime moments. I went back to watch it again like 4 times, hahaha.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Well since she didn't pass the early episode when hibiki and kanade were looking for muse .her chances have been more than slim ....also not enough exposition and forshadowing ... it couldn't be her .. Cure muse ..well was better masked

Agreed. Muse should have kept the mask on. :I

cajunator

Banned
Allow me to borrow your line for a moment: "HNNNNGGGGG"

He did the designs for that Vita fishing game I'm so stoked about. Explains why the main girl looks like Mayoi and all the band aids.

He excels in super cute designs. You can tell his designs easily by the eye style. He likes to draw a black outline around the eye and a small pupil and fill the rest with color. He also LOVES ahoges. Oh and bandages yeah.

cajunator

Banned
By the way cjkeats, that girl's name is Komugi from Nurse Witch Komugi. She was a crazy character in the anime Soul Taker but since that show kind of bombed, Komugi was the most popular part about it and got her own spinoff show along with the other characters in a magical girl setting. Its one of the cutest things ever made.
If you look up Popotan you will see the same style, and if you look carefully at Bake and Nisemonogatari and TWGOK, you will see the same eye designs and details he loves to incorporate. He is the master of moe.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
By the way cjkeats, that girl's name is Komugi from Nurse Witch Komugi. She was a crazy character in the anime Soul Taker but since that show kind of bombed, Komugi was the most popular part about it and got her own spinoff show along with the other characters in a magical girl setting. Its one of the cutest things ever made.
If you look up Popotan you will see the same style, and if you look carefully at Bake and Nisemonogatari and TWGOK, you will see the same eye designs and details he loves to incorporate. He is the master of moe.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUL TAKERRRRRRR

SDBurton

lol @ old age being a detractor of character design
old and ugly people in anime are a chance for the designer to get extra creative with anatomy

so basically the further from gundam seed the less likely you want to bone them
got it

ibdpNIRBYS1P3a.gif

Robin is an infinitely more interesting design for a female character than people give credit for.

Agreed. While I understand them wanting to redesign her so that's she's closer to her manga version, I was still kinda bummed when they got rid of her dark skin
after the time skip
. Made her look really exotic. :(

cjkeats

We're going to call it Fishime.

I'm gonna have to watch some more of his stuff, you know how I love some moe and ahoge. Even since Madoka I've kinda wanted to check out more stuff like that.

I am soooo ready for this :).

I am so (not) ready for this.
That hat.
UNQfI.jpg

Ah, so he did TWGOK. Excellent series...need to pick up the BD's for that too.

I'll admit I'm terrible with remembering staff names and who did what (outside of a few), even after years of watching anime. I feel old.

/XX/

because its still going? the design hasn't really changed
I think it has. The thing is that except for the transition from the more subdued and rounded designs of the first season, the subsequent ones aren't much an evolution rather than a constant cycle of really personal episodes that Shin-Ei's great animators perpetuated during various years, each with its own style:

Stylistic evolution in Crayon Shin-chan
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/stylistic_evolution_in_crayon_shin_chan

What I wanted to hint at with my comment is that, except for some specials and punctual episodes, the approach has been slightly different this recent years, ever since that 'digital-ish look' and more cohesive approach took over part of the "fun" (although not at the same level as certain other animated series).

Uchip

Banned
I think it has. The thing is that except for the transition from the more subdued and rounded designs of the first season, the subsequent ones aren't much an evolution rather than a constant cycle of really personal episodes that Shin-Ei's great animators perpetuated during various years, each with its own style:

Stylistic evolution in Crayon Shin-chan
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/stylistic_evolution_in_crayon_shin_chan

What I wanted to hint at with my comment is that, except for some specials and punctual episodes, that has been slightly different this recent years, ever since that 'digital-ish look' and more cohesive approach took over part of the "fun" (although not at the same level as certain other animated series).

I was mostly being facetious, but I wasn't aware of the style change
the new look is kind of bad

ah, well that explains that familiar pedo-rific taint that was felt during the shaft shows

cajunator

Banned
Ah, so he did TWGOK. Excellent series...need to pick up the BD's for that too.

I'll admit I'm terrible with remembering staff names and who did what (outside of a few), even after years of watching anime. I feel old.

Yeah, same eye style and general look.
I didn't realize it at first either since he has changed his style a bit since the Komugi/Popotan/Starship Girl Yamamoto days.

/XX/

Just for you, 7Th:

河野恵美(Megumi Kouno)MAD - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dr-zn4cR9c

I was mostly being facetious, but I wasn't aware of the style change
the new look is kind of bad
Oh, I see.

And just for the record, I love every kind of character design that Ben shows in there, is the lack of that playfulness and variety what I don't like the same nowadays... but I still appreciate the series as much!

SDBurton

Suite Precure - 36

kanrw.png

Old guy on the left is
that woman's father. What in the hell did he have sex with to haev a daughter so tall?!!

Everything is finally out in the open, but holy shit at Falsetto revealing himself to be head honcho behind everything. :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Only designers I know by name are ABe and Sadamoto, both of whom I love.

I guess CLAMP (gods) also counts.

Other than that, I like the Bakemonogatari guy although his work on TWGOK was questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom