• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Gakkatsu! 21-25 END
gakkatsu23.jpg
gakkatsu23a.jpg
gakkatsu23b.jpg
gakkatsu23c.jpg
gakkatsu23d.jpg
gakkatsu23e.jpg

I'm actually pretty glad I picked this back up after dropping it ages ago. It certainly helps the show when you can watch a couple of eps in a single go instead of having to wait a week for the next one. Still, I'd recommend this only if you can stomach some fairly awkward flash animation (think Thermae Romae but with more lively motion tweening).

Jex

I have no intention of making fun of JoJo's this week because the episode in question was pretty damn awesome:

jojomoon.gif

The JoJo's universe is so bizarre that events like this can occur and no-one acts the least bit surprised, as if this was a perfectly normal technique for stealing from people:

jojothief.gif

So good.

------------------

[Madoka BD] - 1

You know, on reflection this show isn't half bad. Besides the obvious pandering there's not too much objectionable content here and the interactions between Madoka's family members are pretty great.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Still my favourite film, so good!

And then Battle Royale 2 happened. Pretty much the reason that I tend to curb my expectations nowadays.

The novel is excellent, and is a case of the film enhancing the source. It's nice (well, considering the circumstances, maybe not) to have a good image of what the class is like beforehand. The political commentary is much more pronounced too.

I didn't much care for the manga, which seemed to get ludicrous and violent for the sheer sake of it.

I'll definitely look the novel up. Apparently there's no Kindle version of it yet, though, so I guess I'll wait a bit because I don't feel like reading the Portuguese translation, haha.

Lain

Received my GitS BRDs and the BRS deluxe vol1!
ab51e746a411454f580080cc622693e19bdf918b.jpg

Now to decide with which I should start (they would all be rewatchs), though I've been told on here to skip GitS 2.0 (feels kind of shitty I had to buy the Absolute Edition to get my hands on normal GitS on BRD).

Fairy Tail 155
tumblr_mcws3ggijJ1rd2vyro1_500.gif

“Gray-sama! Do you want Juvia?! Or Lyon-sama?! Please make up your mind!” Juvia and Happy never fail to make me laugh lol, best moment was the whole Gray/Lyon discussion competting moment and then the Natsu/Sting run in.

Ah time for the first event next episode, cant wait to see a certain scene with their eye glare and maps

Grzi

Dangaizer 3

Some more Masami Obari, and this time he's credited as Director, Episode Director, Script, Storyboard, Key Animation, Mechanical Design, Series Composition, Original Creator, Background Art, Animation Director. Well, that sure is a lot, but I really don't have a lot to say about this OVA. It's from 1999 and features everything you'd expect from Masami Obari - great animation, great mecha designs and not so great directing. I think he's hit and miss when it comes to directing, because I liked some of his stuff, but here it just didn't work. It probably has something to do with the story, which is a terrible mess that I won't even bother to summarize, because the action scenes are generally well directed, it's when it comes to the storytelling that the direction falls apart with no feeling whatsoever for scene transitions and the storyline basically jumping all over with no sense of order.

It really looks great though, good enough that it helped me not to give a fuck and just enjoy the visuals. The characters look pretty good, and there's some nice facial animation even, and the mecha battles are pretty good, not the best, but they do give a nice sense of the size and bulkiness of the robots, which is good. The mecha designs are done by Obari and they look great of course, not as good as in Dangaioh, but still great, I really like his style.

There's some fanservice, a lot of tits, some asses, and magical girl style transformations, if you like that stuff. I think Chet Rippo would enjoy the amount of boobs here.
Oh, and it's unfinished lol, it basically ends when it starts getting really interesting, but since no one will probably care for the story that's not such a bad thing.

To conclude this short review:

Yeah, I'll probably watch some more of his stuff, I'm enjoying it in a strange way.

Jex

Received my GitS BRDs and the BRS deluxe vol1!
ab51e746a411454f580080cc622693e19bdf918b.jpg

Now to decide with which I should start (they would all be rewatchs), though I've been told on here to skip GitS 2.0 (feels kind of shitty I had to buy the Absolute Edition to get my hands on normal GitS on BRD).

GitS 2.0 is an unfortunate thing that should be destroyed.

NeonZ

Urgh. I did think it was odd to start the re-run with an episode that opens with an apology for an issue that happened ages ago. I'm assuming this is where the "new" footage would have occurred.

They cut the still frame scene in the beginning of the episode completely. The opening is the new one from the last Kintama episode. Most of the episode after that point follows the original 136, with gray bars on the sides.

Then new ending theme with Gintoki replacing Kintoki, and a Sadaharu car rather than the gold one. Finally, after all that, there was a new "still frame" scene with the yorozuya trio talking for 2 minutes or so, and after that there was some other extra bit about the upcoming movie with live action footage of the "gorilla". The messages around the sponsors also were completely changed.

Here are some pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/NeonZ/Gintama_03_ep01_136_02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/NeonZ/Gintama_03_ep01_136_04.jpg
Gintama_03_ep01_136_03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/NeonZ/Gintama_03_ep01_136_06.jpg
Gintama_03_ep01_136_07.jpg

Gintama_03_ep01_136_10.jpg

From the New World 6
tumblr_mcw93yxPO11rwv2mgo1_500.gif

Awesome, these past few episodes have been excellent for me. I hope Satoru continues to be in the lead role for all the action and such as he is great and perfect for it. So many great moments. Though I found because of it I was kept on edge just waiting in anticipation for the next thing. Its pretty suspense, well the atmosphere it creates as I just wait for something bad to happen even if it doesnt seem like it would but just from what is going on.
Consistently using the powers and getting tired and almost losing himself in the powers. Fortunately Saki was there to keep him in check and I guess logic and reason to enable him to continue. I still think he is himself and not all that changed, its just their in the midst of war against a terrible foe. She was bad for remembering his mantra and putting him in pain, but I guess the ends justified it, fortunately. I dont know how they can get out of the situation. He looks like he will just faint and fall over anytime, while those creatures may end up taking advantage of the situation or either have lured them into being captured as part of some grand deal? Maybe shun will show up and help them? Many possibilities I guess.

Favorite moment was oddly this
scene. Just the way the rock was cut and then Satorus face in it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jormungand Perfect Order 3

Wow, wow, wow. Holy shit. I knew keeping up with this show would eventually pay off.

Just like I predicted last season,
things got a lot better and more interesting once shit started to happen.
This episode was glorious, and the intelligent use of the show's great OST resulted in quite a few awesome scenes, like the
B-52 mega overkill.
Absolutely delicious, and definitely the kind of stuff I signed up for when I started watching this.

Defuser

Jooooooooooooojo! Ep 5
Duckroll is right, it's like a WWE show but with drama and action over 9000. Speedwagon is such a fucking bro.

To top it off a fucking dramatic history lesson from the the most fabulous evil douche ever.

JoJo 5
tumblr_mcvh8r9L1q1rhcbgoo4_500.png

Overall, I really liked the action this episode and I just realized how dramatic the narrator makes things seem as well as how the characters saying what they are thinking and at times what Im thinking can make it way more fun than the action does it. Action wise, Im impressed by how many different overdrivers there are, so many colors I hope.
Turquiose one underwater was stunning as well as the Scarlet one!

Didnt like a few parts, Zoom Punch felt like something out of Toriko just way less toned down and unimpressive and Naruto did the walking on water jutsu way better, it looked way too comical here especially how Zeppeli crossed and how unrefined JoJo was at it. Im not much one to pay attention to history so I ended up losing focus at that part and was bored.

I need the OST though, the song during
Zeppeli v Dio and the arm freezing part (before the other song kicked in) is the best song in the whole show

sleepykyo

The composition in Pscyho Pass is actually nearing the level of a P.A. Works show. I'm rather disappointed in Production I.G. so far. Just look at how well the traditionally draw elements of this scene sit on top of the CG backgrounds:

PsychoPass4a3.jpg

This shot of a street is equally unimpressive:

PsychoPass4a4.jpg

Hopefully it'll look better later. Maybe?

Has Production IG fallen to Gonzo levels yet for the show? And is targeting the west or something? I've remember Gonzo somehow got a lot of western work despite, or rather because of their obsession with blatant CG sequences.

Grzi

Has anyone seen Platinumhugen Ordian or Prism Ark? Any good?

Also, do I need to watch the first SRW series before I watch the second one? I really don't feel like sitting through those CG mechs.

Tanken Driland 9
tumblr_mcx7k1dGf61qbxqfpo1_500.png

Fire dragon was awesome. However I wish the fight was as long as the other one we had when there was a dungeon room event. If I had the game I would definitely be in the dragon knight class, best weapon.

Resolution was silly.

Branduil

From the New World 6

irdAd02j0g4v.jpg

ibbPbGqefdWNrz.jpg

i7i5a1GhO2dzL.jpg

ibt7ABUHe1DOeY.jpg

iKaQjibA9WOtD.jpg

ikasV5CXRjD0v.jpg

iI0gQ0nBsJ3Ip.jpg

iWHvOhEKpMt3R.jpg

iVBaz1lNmr7lU.jpg

I'm so immature.

Well that was an interesting episode. It's nice to have the character designs looking like they should again, and the direction is considerably more coherent in this episode. That said, it does seem like this episode was a bit under-budget for its ambitions, and there's some really awful CGI in a couple of scenes. It also seems like they tried to fit too much into this episode, because the pacing and editing is a bit off again, though not as much as last week's episode. The most confusing moment was
Saki's hallucination; I think the fade out was meant to indicate the passage of a large amount of time, but it was unclear how long they'd been stuck in the caves.
Then again maybe that works for that scene.

Content-wise, this was a very dense episode. I'm curious if
Saki unleashing Satoru's cantus has diminished the psychological restraints placed on their powers
. Also, I find Squealer to be a very intriguing character. The way he's framed in this episode suggests he's scheming something; at the very least he's far more intelligent than he first appears or wishes for the children to know.

Jex

Has Production IG fallen to Gonzo levels yet for the show? And is targeting the west or something? I've remember Gonzo somehow got a lot of western work despite, or rather because of their obsession with blatant CG sequences.

I think Gonzo got a lot of western work because they sept setting the shows in the west.

Ultimadrago

Saki 1-25 [END]

-more CG hands than I've seen in a lifetime. Feels like I'm running a Windows 95 Mavis Beacon Mahjong game.
-Tacos
-Bad OP 1
-It's no Legend of Koizumi
-Exhaustive backstories
-Corny, unnatural character/relationship development

Hmm....

nichijouhelveticagif2mrzp.gif

Will watch Side A.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As for the rest of the people's acceptance of the system, I've already forgotten the other character's names but the older guy was alive in "the old days" so this system isn't that freaking old. Many of the people who designed it are probably still around, shitloads of people who lived prior to it are still around, it's much too new of a system for there to be no discussion concerning the system and for people to be that ignorant of it. I'm not just talking enforcers and Investigators, I'm talking bureaucrats, politicians, teachers, software engineers, and the rest of the city whos lives have been changed. Fuck, I'm talking about Akane's parents.
I have to imagine that, if this show is like every other science fiction show, there will be a flaw in the system that Akane or someone else will only know about and that will be the main conflict of the show later on.

Speaking of CR:
We just need to wait for the next World Cup for them to make another season of Giant Killing. lol

According to twitter via duckroll:
LOL
They cut the still frame scene in the beginning of the episode completely. The opening is the new one from the last Kintama episode. Most of the episode after that point follows the original 136, with gray bars on the sides.

Then new ending theme with Gintoki replacing Kintoki, and a Sadaharu car rather than the gold one. Finally, after all that, there was a new "still frame" scene with the yorozuya trio talking for 2 minutes or so, and after that there was some other extra bit about the upcoming movie with live action footage of the "gorilla". The messages around the sponsors also were completely changed.

Here are some pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...p01_136_02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...p01_136_04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/NeonZ/Gintama_03_ep01_136_03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...p01_136_06.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/NeonZ/Gintama_03_ep01_136_07.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/NeonZ/Gintama_03_ep01_136_10.jpg
I assume this is because CR didn't want to go to the trouble of resubbing the episodes. I wonder if they'll bother now that everyone knows about this new stuff. I thought it was weird that they wouldn't have the new OP/ED running with the episodes anyway.

Saki 1-25 [END]

Will watch Side A.

JackNicholsonNod.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama 210

My little killer can't be this ditzy!

Four Devas start! Pretty fun introduction episode, stakes are being risen, old gags are being reused, flowers are meant to bloom.

"The only problem with the Four Devas arc is that it's just TOO GOOD". -firehawk12

213-214 are so awesome (with one unfortunate caveat). I look forward to you watching it. lol

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki 1-25 [END]

-more CG hands than I've seen in a lifetime. Feels like I'm running a Windows 95 Mavis Beacon Mahjong game.
-Tacos
-Bad OP 1
-It's no Legend of Koizumi
-Exhaustive backstories
-Corny, unnatural character/relationship development

Hmm....

Will watch Side A.

iHNlHbzQo5ZMb.gif

That last part saved you.:p

Maedhros

Hyouka Ep. 08

Considering the animation of this anime, the chat sequence must be the most laziest part of this anime.

Anyway... the amateur movie was... surreal. Wow... their act was so fucking ridiculous. It makes Haruhi's movie a masterpiece when they are compared. lol

And here we go again, Chitanda and her fucking phrase. Why the hell Oreki even cares? I just hope it's not love or some shit like that.

There's something I want to know: What is the meaning of the little phrases next to the ending of the episode? "Little birds blahblahblah", etc.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 5

So incredibly awesome. Dio's poses are about as fabulous as you can get. Music was pretty good this episode too.

Maedhros

Hyouka 09

I can't understand: how the character responsible for the drive of the show is so fucking useless and annoying? Sometimes I wonder what she's even doing there, besides being goofy and wanting to hear a conclusion.

Yup, I hate Chitanda. Every other character of the cast is better than her.

I'm not liking this show very much. It's pretty boring so far, with few good moments here and there.

Pooya

Psycho Pass - 4
I didn't understand what was the big deal about these avatars and their popularity and why they are apparently important? anyway, meh scenario, looks like there is more to it in the end and might tie into main plot but not really feeling it yet. will wait till next episode to say anything more, nothing really happened in this episode.

This episode looked kind of bad too, so far this show has been underwhelming, looking back at pre release hype, it's kind of funny the things they said.

jman2050

Hyouka 09

I can't understand: how the character responsible for the drive of the show is so fucking useless and annoying? Sometimes I wonder what she's even doing there, besides being goofy and wanting to hear a conclusion.

Yup, I hate Chitanda. Every other character of the cast is better than her.

I'm not liking this show very much. It's pretty boring so far, with few good moments here and there.

Chitanda is the worst part of the show, though I liked it overall regardless.

Jex

Psycho Pass - 4
I didn't understand what was the big deal about these avatars and their popularity and why they are apparently important? anyway, meh scenario, looks like there is more to it in the end and might tie into main plot but not really feeling it yet. will wait till next episode to say anything more, nothing really happened in this episode.

This episode looked kind of bad too, so far this show has been underwhelming, looking back at pre release hype, it's kind of funny the things they said.

Stuff on the internet is a big deal, because like, it is. I think.

You could say the online world is one the place where they aren't constantly being monitored and checked, it's their brief escape from the Sybil system that otherwise guides and monitors every area of their lives. It allows them to express their true selves.

Sukitte Ii na yo 05

I liked this episode.

Maybe because it wasn't another every other student is out to destroy our main couple and instead focuses on other stuff, it was much more enjoyable.

When you win the heart of the imuoto, you have transcend into perfect couple status.

Maedhros

Hyouka 10

Ohhh, ohhhh. So Oreki isn't perfect. He had overseen that little detail. Suddenly, the episode was interesting. And no Chitanda.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Add Getter Robo Armageddon and the Black Jack OVA to that list ;)

Done.

Anything else I should consider? Open to recommendations new and old. I'm looking for either a good story / characters, or really good action and sakuga. Or all of the above. Don't want to get into any lengthy, like over 50 eps, kind of series.

Maedhros

Hyouka 11

Ooh, so that empress girl was just that type of student, huh? Who think that doing what she wants is what everyone wants too.

This was a little nice arc. Too bad it was the worst character who got the credit in the end...

Mumei

You're a mod again, and you're in the anime thread... clearly something is wei-

Oh, right.

I have watched lots of anime! I have actually been getting back into it recently. Well, I wouldn't say I was ever "out of it" as it were, but I wasn't watching shows as they aired anymore and I was taking forever to watch stuff when I did get around to it. And nothing was really grabbing me the way that stuff around 2003 - 2007-ish was.

Syrinx

YuruYuri 23

Okay, I was pretty pissed when I found out this was all a story Kyoko made up, even though it was obvious that it wasn't real (there was a fucking TIME MACHINE, after all). But I guess that's because I found it so heartwarming. Seeing Akari having her memories of her friends and then not stopping Ayano, and seeing everybody gathered in the tea room in joy when Akari returned was lovely, although I guess that last scene is indicative of how much Kyoko cares about Akari.

One thing: How did Kyoko know that Akari's sister has some freaky crush on her? Was she the one who peered into her sister's room in the first episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom