• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamauchi'd

It had the Gurren Lagann episode 4 treatment.

I... don't know what these mean. Actually, I've seen Gurren Lagann, and I don't remember any shifts as drastic as this, but that was years ago.

Anyway, has anyone read the novel this show is adapting? I'm curious how closely it's sticking to the source material. Episode 5 felt extremely compressed, much more than the other episodes.

cjkeats

If you like cute girls that don't wear pants with yuri and some gun action while they fly through the air using their magic powers that give them animal ears and tails, then SW is for you.
I liked it.

That's kinda how my train of thought went when I looked at the box.

Hahaha, what a coincidence, I'm drunk too. lol

Me too...wait, 3..no wait....what what number are we on now? like 5? I guess it should be no surprise AnimeGAF is drunk on a saturday.

None of those have any bearing on whether SW is actually good, though. I guess the best compliment I could give the series is that it isn't as bad as Saki, which bears many similarities. Even so, there's really no reason to waste time on it.

Hrmm. I guess getting it cheap will weaken the burn if I were get it. There really isn't much else ther other than late volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and DBZ. There's something Gunslinger Girl related there, what about that?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
saoboobs.gif

Sweet lord.

Thoraxes

None of those have any bearing on whether SW is actually good, though. I guess the best compliment I could give the series is that it isn't as bad as Saki, which bears many similarities. Even so, there's really no reason to waste time on it.

It has to do with if you like those things you'll like the show.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's easier to mock than to make an actual argument.

It would help if someone ever made an actual argument about why those episodes were good, instead of just parroting "it's clearly too subtle for you", "you're missing the point", etc, ad nauseum. But I don't see that ever happening.

It would help if someone ever made an actual argument about why those episodes were good, instead of just parroting "it's clearly too subtle for you", "you're missing the point", etc, ad nauseum. But I don't see that ever happening.

When Hyouka aired people were writing lots of lengthy impressions and discussion.

Branduil

And now a straw man.

cajunator

Banned
What's the consensus on Strike Witches season 1 and Shangri-La? My local HMV is having a buy one, get one 40% off sale on box sets and these are the only two that strike any intrest to me.
Saying the anime selection there is "limited" is being generous.

Watching Shangri La at the moment ~5 eps into it and it has been enjoyable thus far.
I like dystopian worlds and stories where the main characters are outsiders.
It has an interesting setup, with humanity trying to survive after a climate catastrophe in which carbon output is now heavily taxed and regulated. There is a large city built to house survivors but getting into it is literally a lottery chance.

wonzo

Banned
Hidamari Sketch x SP2 END

izR74oGpMY84O.gif

I kinda wan't a Hidamari themed fighting game after this but then there'd be an awfully large increase of Wideface on Wideface violence... I need to think about this.

hidasketchxsp2.jpg

So I am currently watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Magi, Shin Sekai Yori, and Zetsuen no Tempest of the shows airing this season, and Revolutionary Girl Utena for older shows. And I just finished watching Natsume Yuujinchou San and will be picking up the next season soon.

Any recommendations for standout shows this season that I'm not watching?
My Little Monster, Girls und Panzer, Code:Breaker, Medaka Box Abnormal and Hidamari Sketch are pretty much the other stand-out shows of the season.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, I can see that. The show was pretty boring until episode 4~5. Then came 6~11, which were just ok. Then the festival, which were just as good as 4~5.

But overall, this show isn't really that good. Actually, I had more fun watching Nichijou/Lucky Star than watching this. If it was actually a mystery anime, it would be much, much better.

Quality = entertainment.
You are required to enjoy Hyouka.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I see you're in fantasy land again

Actually, silly little jabs is what you do, every time someone says something less than adulatory about any one of your chosen shows
No, I don't do "hahaha its a BORING and SLEEP INDUCING! hyouka?? more like NYQUIL!!" every time somebody doesn't like a show I think is great.

I do question them though, no denying that.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
No, I don't do "hahaha its a BORING and SLEEP INDUCING! hyouka?? more like NYQUIL!!" every time somebody doesn't like a show I think is great.

I do question them though, no denying that.
Obviously you aren't going to complain about something you like... but making comments just as vapid? Those make up practically half your posts

It wasn't the second coming of Jesus, it was God himself.

This does such an excellent job questioning Maedhros's complaints I am amazed as to how a mere mortal such as yourself could have come up with it

Branduil

It's perfectly valid to think something is boring. But it's also an entirely subjective and therefore meaningless as criticism; it tells us nothing about the work, it only tells us about the critic. Every show ever created is considered boring by someone.

Mandoric

Banned
... and Hidamari Sketch are pretty much the other stand-out shows of the season.

It's a wonderful show, but it's pretty much made for longtime fans. The first couple eps especially rely on already being very familiar with the characters.

It's nice that there's a steady enough fanbase to do this, but I honestly wouldn't pick it as a jumping-in point. The R1 DVDs of the first three seasons are very reasonably priced, though, if you're willing to go back!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Obviously you aren't going to complain about something you like... but making comments just as vapid? Those make up practically half your posts

This does such an excellent job questioning Maedhros's complaints I am amazed as to how a mere mortal such as yourself could have come up with it
So now you change the aspect of my posts you are criticizing... only to call out an obvious joke. Bad job, so no cigar.

wonzo

Banned
The only thing that stands out in Medaka Box is Medaka's boobs. :p
It's onto the fights now so it's all uphill from here!

Stand-out good or stand-out bad?
The former, obviously. They're all pretty entertaining (although I am listing Medaka on the upcoming fights and if episode 4's an example of what's to come then it's gonna own).

It's a wonderful show, but it's pretty much made for longtime fans. The first couple eps especially rely on already being very familiar with the characters.

It's nice that there's a steady enough fanbase to do this, but I honestly wouldn't pick it as a jumping-in point. The R1 DVDs of the first three seasons are very reasonably priced, though, if you're willing to go back!
Well yeah, it's best to start off from the beginning but I kinda view it as one big never-ending series. :>

trejo

I found Hyouka's Festival arc to be enjoyable due to the uncharacteristically natural way they handled the character interactions. I really liked how every character was off doing their own thing and acting like, you know, real people would during a school-wide activity, as opposed to wasting their time clinging to Oreki curious about some stupid ass shit that happened once, or wondering why the fuck they were mad about something the other day. I also liked the way the arc's shitty mystery was weaved into the background without interfering much with the overall narrative and as such, I quickly started losing interest once it was unavoidably brought into the forefront during the latter episodes.

I stand by my opinion that the festival arc, by virtue of the more energetic yet laidback feel that permeated through most of it, was a great respite from the show's usual formula of having the generally vacuous cast of characters illogically giving far too much importance to completely trivial "mysteries" and wasting their time on crap no one with actual shit to do would ever give two fucks about.

It's perfectly valid to think something is boring. But it's also an entirely subjective and therefore meaningless as criticism; it tells us nothing about the work, it only tells us about the critic. Every show ever created is considered boring by someone.
People have said more than just "it's boring." The banality, the pacing, the characters -- these are all things that I've seen criticized here.
I feel like I've heard this before... more than once.
Just wait for the genre shift bro!!

Branduil

I found Hyouka's Festival arc to be enjoyable due to the uncharacteristically natural way they handled the character interactions. I really liked how every character was off doing their own thing and acting like, you know, real people would during a school-wide activity, as opposed to wasting their time clinging to Oreki curious about some stupid ass shit that happened once, or wondering why the fuck they were mad about something the other day. I also liked the way the arc's shitty mystery was weaved into the background without interfering much with the overall narrative and as such, I quickly started losing interest once it was unavoidably brought into the forefront during the latter episodes.

I stand by my opinion that the festival arc, by virtue of the more energetic yet laidback feel that permeated through most of it, was a great respite from the show's usual formula of having the generally vacuous cast of characters illogically giving far too much importance to completely trivial "mysteries" and wasting their time on crap no one with actual shit to do would ever give two fucks about.

Teenagers waste time on meaningless crap all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom