• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's perfectly valid to think something is boring. But it's also an entirely subjective and therefore meaningless as criticism; it tells us nothing about the work, it only tells us about the critic. Every show ever created is considered boring by someone.

Saying it's boring is just as empty as saying it's not boring; both opinions can be valid criticism if they are backed up with evidence from the show. Citing the dull mysteries and vapid characters are valid criticisms.

So now you change the aspect of my posts you are criticizing... only to call out an obvious joke. Bad job, so no cigar.

I see words, but they have no relation to what I posted. Please try again.

Maedhros

Me too...wait, 3..no wait....what what number are we on now? like 5? I guess it should be no surprise AnimeGAF is drunk on a saturday.
ehueheuheuehuehuehuhe~

Hyouka 18

Okay... that was... fucking random. lol
Also, too much Chitanda. She was surprisingly not annoying. But that ending... I hope there's nothing romantic starting there...

Hyouka 19

Oh god... this ending will be romantic, won't it? Please, say it'll not.

Also, holy shit about this ending. I was expecting something like this since the "game" started. That was nice!

duckroll

Teenagers waste time on meaningless crap all the time.

It's true, but that can be said about lots of things in real life. Just because something actually happens in real life, does not mean it makes for compelling subject matter in entertainment. There are many insipid comedies and romance movies out there for example, and most of them could actually happen in real life, but they still suck.

I feel that definitely applies to a small number of episodes in Hyouka, but since ymmv, I'm sure there are others who feel there many more episodes which feel that way, or even the entire series.

Just wait for the genre shift bro!!

But that already happened.

Branduil

Saying it's boring is just as empty as saying it's not boring

Of course, but there wasn't much of that in the last couple of pages.

It's true, but that can be said about lots of things in real life. Just because something actually happens in real life, does not mean it makes for compelling subject matter in entertainment. There are many insipid comedies and romance movies out there for example, and most of them could actually happen in real life, but they still suck.

I feel that definitely applies to a small number of episodes in Hyouka, but since ymmv, I'm sure there are others who feel there many more episodes which feel that way, or even the entire series.

Sure, but trejo's criticism seemed to be that teenagers wasting time wasn't believable, which I don't agree with.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Teenagers waste time on meaningless crap all the time.

Yes, and? That hardly makes it compelling, just as adults wasting time on meaningless crap and children wasting time on meaningless crap can be equally as potentially vapid.

I read it as trejo saying that teenagers wasting time isn't interesting or enjoyable, which I do agree with, at least in the case of Hyouka.

I haven't done laundry in like two weeks so I needed something to do between cycles.

How was Otakon?

It was pretty good...finally got to see JAM Project, so that was cool. They were actually down one member as Yoshiki Fukuyama wasn't cleared by his doctors to fly over. They did Skype him in at one point however :). Fun show.

Up through ep. 14 of SAO now. Might as well keep going, I suppose.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I feel like I've heard this before... more than once.
Even as someone who strongly disliked Medaka Box's first season I think the second season has been pretty good so far, though its first episode isn't really that enjoyable.

wonzo

Banned
I feel like I've heard this before... more than once.
That;s because the meat on the Flask Plan Arc is the long string of constant fights which is where the show's now at. Well, that and the
trolltastic ending
. Of course, none of this compares to just how incredible a third season would be.

Just wait for the genre shift bro!!
The genre shift happened last season but nice try.

Soma

I think this is really the important aspect when 'debating' the quality of Hyouka. The main criticism I see is that the subject matter just isn't compelling to those people. It's a valid critique but it's also very subjective. Someone can appreciate the down to earth nature of the show while someone else doesn't find entertainment out of it. This is broadly speaking of course.

There are a lot less subjective aspects of the show such as the visuals, the character designs, the music, how pointless episode 6 was, etc. which are hard to argue about, but something such as (for example) "Well I find Chitanda annoying" where someone else might be "I find her curiosity and demeanor very endearing" all really boils down to opinions at least that's what I believe.

I can say that Hyouka is probably one of the most divided anime series from this year, on this forum at least. Sure many people can agree the festival arc was great but the show as a whole has either been a love it or hate it thing and rarely do I see a middle of the road opinion on it.

Uchip

Banned
No, I don't do "hahaha its a BORING and SLEEP INDUCING! hyouka?? more like NYQUIL!!" every time somebody doesn't like a show I think is great.

I do question them though, no denying that.

the pacing is slow, and often not deliberately
the characters are uninteresting
its fairly episodic
the dialogue is a bit immature
its grandoise to a fault

Dresden

Discussions about Hyouka get oddly vitriolic. I wonder if this is how hardcore Nichijou fans felt (another show people take potshots at randomly, constantly).

---

It's kinda tedious to discuss Hyouka's characters because so much of the characterization relies on the steady build-up of incidences rather than some set moment where characterization 'happens.' I don't think it's brilliant, but it's certainly rare enough in anime to be noteworthy, and somewhat subtle, and all around pleasant.

cjkeats

It was pretty good...finally got to see JAM Project, so that was cool. They were actually down one member as Yoshiki Fukuyama wasn't cleared by his doctors to fly over. They did Skype him in at one point however :). Fun show.

Up through ep. 14 of SAO now. Might as well keep going, I suppose.

Glad to hear you had a good time. I spent my birthday in an uncomfortable afternoon with my Ex and I didn't even get cake.

Oh you're right at the return of the imouto. keep going for at least one more.

Risette

A Good Citizen
the pacing is slow, and often not deliberately
the characters are uninteresting
its fairly episodic
the dialogue is a bit immature
its grandoise to a fault
These are descriptions, except for the first and last ones, although you don't elaborate on the fault, or why the pacing is not deliberately slow.

jman2050

I can say that Hyouka is probably one of the most divided anime series from this year, on this forum at least. Sure many people can agree the festival arc was great but the show as a whole has either been a love it or hate it thing and rarely do I see a middle of the road opinion on it.

*Jumps up and down and waves hands furiously.*

I don't like when people get bracketed into very simple "I love this so much!" or "I hate it so much it sucks" categories for no good reason. :(

Gintama' 211

jTwz5.jpg

A twist! Backstory! All that oozing action!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I don't like when people get bracketed into very simple "I love this so much!" or "I hate it so much it sucks" categories for no good reason. :(

I'm pretty middle of the road about Hyouka, it isn't compelling enough or bad enough for me to truly like or dislike it.

fertygo

What wrong with slow-pacing anyway? A lot of great show moving like grass growing, like Mushi-Shi, House of the Five Leaves etc .. There's audience for that too you know.

Soma

When I mostly see pot-shots and arguments discussions about the show, it's hard to notice these opinions amidst the rubble. :(

jman2050

What wrong with slow-pacing anyway? A lot of great show moving like grass growing, like Mushi-Shi, House of the Five Leaves etc .. There's audience for that too you know.

Nothing wrong with it, I just don't see it as a net positive in a lot of instances. But then I have a short attention span so whatever.

When I mostly see pot-shots and arguments discussions about the show, it's hard to notice these opinions amidst the rubble. :(

The problem is that people with modest opinions about a show either tend to not vocalize them (me) or are unnoticed from the hyperbolic cries of whatever team is most prominent at the moment.

Maedhros

Discussions about Hyouka get oddly vitriolic. I wonder if this is how hardcore Nichijou fans felt (another show people take potshots at randomly, constantly).

---

It's kinda tedious to discuss Hyouka's characters because so much of the characterization relies on the steady build-up of incidences rather than some set moment where characterization 'happens.' I don't think it's brilliant, but it's certainly rare enough in anime to be noteworthy, and somewhat subtle, and all around pleasant.

I don't think it's pleasant to most people. Since it's subtle. And not the focus at all. And what's in focus is boring, for most parts. That doesn't help.

Also, there's the problem with Chitanda. She's... very difficult to like or relate. Seriously, if you knew someone like her in real life, what would try to do? I would totally ignore her or tell her to fuck off (not directly, but subtle too). I can't sympathize with her.

And I think people were expecting romance in this too. Until now... just some hints were given... but I can see that we won't have anything romance related in the ending of this show.

Uchip

Banned
These are descriptions, except for the first and last ones, although you don't elaborate on the fault, or why the pacing is not deliberately slow.

descriptions clearly of a negative nature, sure
as for the pacing, the scenes are slow and uneventful and the encompassing story feels like is should have been done in a series half the length

Narag

I think spoilers have less impact on a show like JoJo than they might on other shows

OP struck me one that's spoilerific but only in retrospect. Bunch of neat scenes without much context or notion as to why they occurred until you've seen the related ep. If anything, the ED was worse as it explained the whole stone mask thing.

fertygo

I don't think it's pleasant to most people. Since it's subtle. And not the focus at all. And what's in focus is boring, for most parts. That doesn't help.

Also, there's the problem with Chitanda. She's... very difficult to like or relate. Seriously, if you knew someone like her in real life, what would try to do? I would totally ignore her or tell her to fuck off (not directly, but subtle too). I can't sympathize with her.

And I think people were expecting romance in this too. Until now... just some hints were given... but I can see that we won't have anything romance related in the ending of this show.

0428_f0rfb.gif

cjkeats

Have you gotten to the second ED yet? It don't help with tose expectations.

fertygo

OP struck me one that's spoilerific but only in retrospect. Bunch of neat scenes without much context or notion as to why they occurred until you've seen the related ep. If anything, the ED was worse as it explained the whole stone mask thing.

The OP and ED tell us we should give a damn more to Battle Tendency.

jman2050

SAO and Nyaruko get/got it as well. But no one cares until it's a show they like.

Nah, even people who like Nyaruko realize that it's definitely not everyone's thing. Not even close. I fear for season 2 cause it's precisely the type of show that will completely fall apart when given another set of episodes to work with (also see: Minami-ke :( )

Mandoric

Banned

When most people say "slow-paced", they aren't as annoyed with the pace of events as with the tension between them.

This is especially bad for mainstreamy anime watchers in the US because they're taking shows initially released on a weekly timeframe, usually either adapted from a weekly/monthly medium or completely original and relying on the eventual twist, and sitting down and watching them in chunks with at least a dim idea of what the ending will be.
Some shows hold up to this even when not much happens; Madoka's first couple eps before Mami mogu mogu don't really suffer much on rewatch, and Mushishi and Five Leaves tend to come off as relaxed and chill.
On the other hand, it's completely lethal for others. No one's going to sit down and watch .hack//sign nowadays, and the Bog arc of Kaiji S2 just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags if you marathon it because of its 8/8/8 "this is why Kaiji's fucked/this is every detail of his new master plan/this is how Ichijo reacts" structure.

Maedhros

I like Chitanda, though I suppose I might feel differently if I had to deal with her in real life.

And I know the reasons you like her. Probably related to something very otaku, like her eyes being very pretty and expressive. Her pouting. Or something moe.

These are valid reasons. But that's not how I relate to characters. Like I've said multiple times, moe doesn't do anything for me.

The most important aspect in characters for me are the personality being something I can relate to. The second is how the character evolves in the show.

Considering these two reasons for Chitanda, it's pretty easy to see why I hate her.

Have you gotten to the second ED yet? It don't help with tose expectations.

Yup, that's a good reason. It's simply KyoAni trying to get some sales from otakus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom