• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ixion Saga DT 5
tumblr_mczarnuSih1qbxqfpo1_500.png

For a beach BL episode I was expecting a bit more. Should have had Variation and KT and Erec and others at the beach too. And poor Kon, I think Kon looks awesome, definitely prefer him over all those muscles of the other guy, as Kon says, gross indeed. Marian looks great in the flashback.

Alright episode.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
See, normally I don't really mind what anime picks as its subject, but taking WW2 and turning it into a game for little high school girls is a little... I want to say "bit too much," but the show is still pretty harmless and I don't want to act like I'm on some sort of sensitivity high horse here.

Better to just call it a dumb show and kind of tasteless.

I was just poking fun. I haven't watched it yet so I've no opinion. ^^;

Cwarrior

Still no power, but it looks like they kept the thing in Cod Breaker that really pissed me off. Excellent :/

I find it hard to imagine what that was since me and you are polar opposites when it comes to shounen, for a second I was going to say was it stupid deus ex machina but then I remembered you liked gurrenlaggan, I have no clue, what was it?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I was just poking fun. I haven't watched it yet so I've no opinion. ^^;
No worries, I had to post something coherent to potentially sidestep a ban for a joke that was a little more mean than I intended it to be.

NeonZ

Ah, one of my favourite episodes from the last season. My only real problem is that they couldn't get more old characters to appear. The episode feels like it should pay off long time watches - and it does in a way - but given how many people they've helped over the years, it's strange that no one else rushes to help them.

Hell, even if the Shinsegumi don't bother, why don't Sa-chan or Kyubei or Tsuki show up?

Those characters you mention there don't live in the Kabuki district itself, which was the focus of that story arc.

The Shinsegumi should have appeared though, considering the amount of fighting going on, but they always seem to be absent in every story that isn't directly connected with one of them personally. They appeared in that early one about Kagura's father, but afterwards most "big crisis" stories that would warrant involvement of the special police force, but had nothing to do with at least one of them personally just ignored the entire organization completely.

See, normally I don't really mind what anime picks as its subject, but taking WW2 and turning it into a game for little high school girls is a little... I want to say "bit too much," but the show is still pretty harmless and I don't want to act like I'm on some sort of sensitivity high horse here.

You talk about a medium where is normal that 12 years old boys can control a 20m big mecha unit without training. I think that's a strange statement.

Driving a tank is at least technical possible for 16 years old girls.

Firehawk doesn't like the appropriation of WW2 German military imagery for a show about cute girls driving tanks, and made this very clear in the last thread.

I am surprised more people aren't watching the show - I know Pdot's quite big on military stuff in general but I'd have thought the show would have more appeal than that. I have no interest in cute girl shows OR tanks, which is why I'm not watching it, but I'm hardly reflective of other people's tastes.

The appeal of GuP is that is more a classic sport anime than a military otaku show like Strike Witches for example with all the fanservice. And GuP is of course well made, a big and adorable cast, many lovely 2d animations, CG stuff is well-done, Soundtrack and good pacing.

Firehawk doesn't like the appropriation of WW2 German military imagery for a show about cute girls driving tanks, and made this very clear in the last thread.

I am surprised more people aren't watching the show - I know Pdot's quite big on military stuff in general but I'd have thought the show would have more appeal than that. I have no interest in cute girl shows OR tanks, which is why I'm not watching it, but I'm hardly reflective of other people's tastes.

Huh, I guess anime is forever serious business.

Still though, I need some gifs of that fish dance. u_u

Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 18

Im actually pretty glad were spending so much time away from the front lines and the BETA. Yuuya Bridges is interesting and getting the details surrounding his history was worth it.
I didnt think it was something as tragic as taking his test flight that far to put his Lieutenant at risk. I can see how he would continue to carry that weight and how Leon, just seeing him would make him feel that way. However Leon, though putting the Lieutenant and Yuuya as his source of hate, seems to be suffering from rather feeling inferior to Yuuya. I think, we ultimately need a Leon v Yuuya match just for them to share their feelings and move on. Sharon(?) seemed to already have forgiven him, so now its Leons turn.

For the USSR I wonder if they can really be considered antagonists. I like the consistent focus of Yuuya and the Scarlet Twins just to help Yuuya express himself.
Though their leader is creeping spying on them even though Yuuya has not affected their performance at all. What is this next stage he is even setting up? Certainly nothing deadly or risky I hope for all threes sakes

OceanBlue

I see... it wasn't getting much attention so I didn't know what to think of it. I'm not really interested in military stuff, but I guess I should probably give it a try.

cajunator

Banned
No because it is shit. Duckroll especially is shit. Your taste is shit, all your favorite anime is shit, and even your favorite food is shit.

Girls Und Panzer is bad and everyone who likes it should feel bad.

You're doin it wrong.
ALso GuP is ok. Its really cute and strange. I like cute strange things.
I'm a cute strange thing.

I feel like I missed something. Is animegaf having hatewatch bets now?

I likewatched Asobi Ni Iku Yo.
It has catgirl aliens. I love it by default.
It wasnt really a bad show though. Obviously not to everyone's taste.

DiGiKerot

I watch it, I enjoy it, I have absolutely nothing of any particular interest to say about it, particularly by the time it rolls around to Crunchy and everyone else has already been talking about it for days.

It's a cute and well-made show, but outside of that weird reveal at the end of the first episode, it's hardly a show that invites a huge amount of discussion or speculation, and the whole HNNNG thing just goes way, way over my head.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I feel like I missed something. Is animegaf having hatewatch bets now?
This is how I watch anime. I pick shows up on a whim and usually they'll get me curious enough to see how they play out till the end. By usually I mean nearly always.

It's not a matter of hatewatching, although my level of masochism remains an open question.

Mature

Denno Coil 2
If I plan on writing impressions for a show, I like to poke around the episode to have an accompanying screenshot (if I didn't have one in mind already). I think it's a true testament to a show's aesthetic when every single place you skip to looks like a great screen grab-able shot.

I liked this episode's illustration of it's 'digital' economy. The second screenshot above shows one of the characters buying holographic/digital objects with the holographic/digital currency. The worth of these things is shown to great effect, as the beginning of the episode these objects were used quite effectively to escape the Satchii. It's nice to see things like that become grounded so they're not just magical devices used to aid characters whenever they're in a pinch. The Coil Cyberagency seems like a nice twist on the traditional "Young kids doing odd jobs" plot. It does seem like more is in store than just that, however.

I find it hard to imagine what that was since me and you are polar opposites when it comes to shounen, for a second I was going to say was it stupid deus ex machina but then I remembered you liked gurrenlaggan, I have no clue, what was it?

Obviously I can't check, but I assume they left in
Ogami burning the dude in front of his wheelchair bound daughter to give her a Kill Bill motivation to live.

Noirulus

So, there was a mini-anime festival of sorts at my university on friday night. The embassy of Japan and the university's Japanese association held the event and were showing two Makoto Shinkai films. Okay. Not the biggest fan of Shinkai but I thought i'd attend.

The two films being shown were 5 Centimetres per second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. (In that order)

5 Centimetres per second

I've watched 5cm before. Not much to say here, except that it was a total pleasure seeing the eye-candy all over again.

I got chills during this scene yet again because the artwork/animation is simply astonishing. Omnomnom. Actually, I enjoyed this film a lot more the second time because I could completely ignore the plot and just bask in every minute detail of the serene visuals. I didn't need to contemplate what would happen between the characters as they all fight their own battles. Didn't need to get caught up in the emotion and stress as the film inches closer to its end. Nope. I sat there ravaging all the delicious graphics. Jokes on you, mr. Shinkai!

The Place Promised in Our Early Days

Ooh boy. What a disappointment. Everything from the plot to the characters was woefully weak. First off, the three characters coming together didn't convince me. Unless I missed something, the girl was simply thrown in to further the plot and set up the romance. I think we were supposed to assume that the relationship that brought the three together took place off-screen. Doesn't excuse the problem, but I can write it off.

Sadly, it didn't get any better. Right after the children arc, the film moves to the present situation, and we're warmly greeted with 20 or so minutes of scientific info-dump. Not even mildly interesting and I saw a few leave the theatre at this point. Afterwards, many boring minutes, seconds, milliseconds, and even nanoseconds of conflict and romance were had and eventually the movie ended. Thank god.
That scene at the end where the girl is all "Omg i got to remember dis fleeting feeeling!! sobsobsob" was so goddamn cringe-worthy.

Bad melodrama is how I will remember this film. At least the visuals were great, as with all of Shinkai's work. That one scene where the sky turns from dark to slightly bright and you can see the shadows of the clouds was incredible!

Hiiro no Kakera S2 ep 6
tumblr_mczc80qFaD1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Mahiro will blow anything that harms me away. I like these. Anyway, the opening scene with Vier singing was pretty lovely, which hopefully it gets a full release? The Monado base with the glass window really went well with that scene and the singing.

Baba sama continued to be the meanest grandma Ive seen and well just making senseless decisions.
Twincest is destroyed since it seemed Mitsuru has sacrifieced herself. I was hoping Shinji would have stopped her but he didnt. Even worst, Tamaki gave in to Baba sama's wishes and ran Takuma off. Which I didnt like. Its clear he ought to end up with her but why wont she give in. She could have easily broken through those powerful barriers since she has already awakened twice(?). Oh well, I think its time for her to help Takuma embrace those powers, flashback merge scene of the past and present seemed to imply that Takuma could take the form of the monsters power. Oh well, I hope they reach something.

Narag

Is it a period piece or is it just using the tanks? This reminds me of something I saw last year about how there's a disconnect in how NA folk see the WW2 stuff as evil as they're conditioned to rather than assuming something was used just because it looks neat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a sickness.
"Anime".

I would have thought you'd applaud the thread for realizing its misplaced priorities and getting back to the important stuff.
Waifu rankings are life, after all.

I actually didn't love the school festival for that same reason. I think it was more entertaining as an arc but I would have preferred more development and activity on the part of Oreki.

The conclusion of the film arc was probably the show at its best.
Yeah, I can see that. I just think it still fit into the themes of the show though - Oreki is both recovering from his shattered ego and he is slowly learning to integrate with the rest of the school/society. His old self would not have taken the initiative to solve the case the way he did. Of course, the fact that he basically saves the cooking competition by doing nothing is a nice twist on his whole "energy saving" way of living life.

Envelope. Stamp. I follow.
Return to Sender!

Huh, I guess anime is forever serious business.

Still though, I need some gifs of that fish dance. u_u
Is it just because of the cute girls or is it a more in-general sentiment?
Well, so many black comedians have made jokes about how weird it is that white people want to dress up in Confederate uniforms and go back to a time when owning slaves was perfectly normal. I think that's where my own "weirdness" with the show stems from. They've already had British tanks and I assume there will be American tanks at some point, but the fact that the main characters love German tanks and cosplay as Rommel is just weird.

As I pointed out a while ago, it's like the whole thing about WW2 games that focus entirely on various campaigns but remove any human cost of war out of the equation. We focus on Pearl Harbor being attacked, but not on Hiroshima being bombed. We focus on the Normandy landings, but forget about the Jews that were systemically murdered.

Cosmic brought up that moe bin Laden manga (Afghanis-tan I think it was called) and sure, I guess we live in an age where everything can become immediately depoliticized. It's just weird to see is all. lol

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is it a period piece or is it just using the tanks? This reminds me of something I saw last year about how there's a disconnect in how NA folk see the WW2 stuff as evil as they're conditioned to rather than assuming something was used just because it looks neat.
That I am honestly not too sure about. I assume it's really not considering how modern everything else in the show seems compared to the tanks they're using.

Narag

Well, so many black comedians have made jokes about how weird it is that white people want to dress up in Confederate uniforms and go back to a time when owning slaves was perfectly normal. I think that's where my own "weirdness" with the show stems from. They've already had British tanks and I assume there will be American tanks at some point, but the fact that the main characters love German tanks and cosplay as Rommel is just weird.

As I pointed out a while ago, it's like the whole thing about WW2 games that focus entirely on various campaigns but remove any human cost of war out of the equation. We focus on Pearl Harbor being attacked, but not on Hiroshima being bombed. We focus on the Normandy landings, but forget about the Jews that were systemically murdered.

Cosmic brought up that moe bin Laden manga (Afghanis-tan I think it was called) and sure, I guess we live in an age where everything can become immediately depoliticized. It's just weird to see is all. lol

I can understand that if they're dressing up like actual people even if only in jest. I just assumed it was a co-opting of the aesthetic people took issue with.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
"Anime".

Waifu rankings are life, after all.

Yeah, I can see that. I just think it still fit into the themes of the show though - Oreki is both recovering from his shattered ego and he is slowly learning to integrate with the rest of the school/society. His old self would not have taken the initiative to solve the case the way he did. Of course, the fact that he basically saves the cooking competition by doing nothing is a nice twist on his whole "energy saving" way of living life.

Return to Sender!

Do you have this same issue with games where you can play as the Axis/Commies/terrorists/etc?

wonzo

Banned
But that's just one side character.

Jex

No because it is shit. Duckroll especially is shit. Your taste is shit, all your favorite anime is shit, and even your favorite food is shit.

Girls Und Panzer is bad and everyone who likes it should feel bad.

Why do you hate the German language?

Jex

Magi Manga Opening / Magi Anime Opening

So I decided to read the opening of the manga and then watch the first episode again so that I could compare them directly. Obviously I won't bother going into any kind of detail because it's old news how badly they adapted, but seeing it for myself was pretty interesting. I have no idea why they slavishly recreated a number of sequences, which suggests that they wanted to be really faithful to the original material, while completely re-arranging the chronology of whole scenes in a manner that makes zero sense. If you're going to change the beginning of the show than change it properly - come up with some fresh scenario that would actually allows you to get the characters set up in the way you wanted to be set up rather than just mushing everything together.

OceanBlue

Magi Manga Opening / Magi Anime Opening

So I decided to read the opening of the manga and then watch the first episode again so that I could compare them directly. Obviously I won't bother going into any kind of detail because it's old news how badly they adapted, but seeing it for myself was pretty interesting. I have no idea why they slavishly recreated a number of sequences, which suggests that they wanted to be really faithful to the original material, while completely re-arranging the chronology of whole scenes in a manner that makes zero sense. If you're going to change the beginning of the show than change it properly - come up with some fresh scenario that would actually allows you to get the characters set up in the way you wanted to be set up rather than just mushing everything together.

This probably would've been a better idea for making the flow more interesting, but they also have the fans of the manga and the show's reputation as an adaptation to consider. It's unfortunate, but I would imagine that making the best story they can isn't always the primary goal.

El Sloth

Banned
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 1

This is my first exposure to the JoJo series, aside from posts by God's Beard in the ye olde manga thread, and I have to say that I like what I'm seeing so far. Everything seems so exaggerated, but in a good way. Even the colors used seem like an exaggeration. It appeals to me though, from the over the top comic style visual sound effects to the dramatic voice acting. I don't know if I'll keep on watching because of my schoolwork ramping up, but I would like to visit the series again in some way (Comic, this show, etc.) in the future.

Hyouka

I enjoyed this series a lot more than I thought I would. Then again, I am a sucker for slice-of-life stuff, so maybe not all too surprising that I liked it. It was a nice little relaxing series to watch during a big-ass hurricane. Its characters are pretty cliched, but it works for the show. It was pretty funny how involved I would get with the main character trying to solve these mundane fucking puzzles, but still! It was fun.

The animation was pretty fantastic. Definitely not the sort of stuff I'm used to seeing. The ending was a disappointment. I just did not like it. It felt so sudden and without any real closure. It made me think that maybe there is a second season planned? Someone let me know, please.

I'm sad no one took my Shitchanda bait. I took me a whole week to come up with it! A week!

Spice and Wolf Season 1-2

Never before has any sort of show made me feel as fucking dumb as this show did. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the show though. So many economic concepts and plot points went straight over my head. Situations would suddenly change and I had trouble understanding why. The Fool's Gold arc with the blond merchant, Amarty, was especially confusing for me. And I'm still not sure what happened in the final episode with the female merchant. As in, I'm still not sure what her motive was or what was her endgame. I feel like maybe I did a disservice to the show by watching the individual episodes in bulk. And for being completely ignorant of the basics of economics.

Also, I'm not entirely sure whether part of problems have to do with the quality of the translations or not. Like in some scenes where Holo and Lawrence were teasing each other the reason why she came off as the "victor" of the exchange would sometimes, again, go over my head. I had to go back frequently to understand why. Still, I liked the show. I'm pretty easily entertained by romances (see: Kimi ni Todoke) and I really liked the whole pseudo-immortal pagan god + very vulnerable and not very long lived human angle. And I liked that it was a different perspective of a setting common in fantasy stories. Felt fresh.

I really need to eventually re-watch the show in it's entirety, but take it in at a much slower pace this time.

Bacanno!

Oh, man. I really enjoyed this; tons of fun to watch. I loved the music, the characters, the structure of the story, and the art style. I could watch a whole show just about the misadventures of Isaac and Miria. Some of the names though...Jacuzzi Splot? Come on. I just don't understand. I wonder if picking up the novels it's based off is worth it for the extra bit of story. Hell, I wonder if I can eve get the novels over here.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1-4

The comic, despite it arguably not being anything special, is already one of my very favorite series and I'm not even caught up with all the volumes yet. I don't know what it is about the story and the characters, but I just enjoy the shit outta it. My brother pointed out to me that when I'm reading a chapter I have dumb smile on my face the entire time. So, I was pretty fucking stoked to find out it was getting animated. The show is just as lovable as the comic. I was surprised how well the voice I had for the characters in my head matched up with the voice actors, so that was nice. I feel that the pacing is a bit rushed, but I guess that's unavoidable coming from the comic where I can read it at my own pace.

I don't really have much more to say other than it's awesome and everyone should be watching/reading it dammit.

All Praise Robico~

One Piece Movie 6
I'm surprised I've never seen Wiseblade post a gif of this movie's Luffy Punch™.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
So good. So good. This movie was a fucking feast for the eyes. It was watching a time traveling story that didn't end up with multiple deaths in the end and a totally miserable protagonist. Speaking of which; Makoto is so damn likable. You just can't help but root for her. I'm sure the movie's been praised to hell and back already, and by folks way more articulate than me, so I'll just end it there.

Dexter Dekuzuta - Season 1
I've never seen such realistic looking CG animation before. This show makes me feel so conflicted. The main character is a serial killer who kills other killers. Should I or shouldn't I sympathize with him? Should I be hating on the asshole cop who's suspicious of him?
Should I really be feeling sorry that Dexter had to kill his way more psychotic biological brother because he was the only one who understood him?

Interesting show, if maybe a bit formulaic. Will be checking out Season 2 come Thanksgiving and those sweet sweet black friday DVD deals.

Narag

Dexter - Season 1
I've never seen such realistic looking CG animation before. This show makes me feel so conflicted. The main character is a serial killer who kills other killers. Should I or shouldn't I sympathize with him? Should I be hating on the asshole cop who's suspicious of him?
Should I really be feeling sorry that Dexter had to kill his way more psychotic biological brother because he was the only one who understood him?

Interesting show, if maybe a bit formulaic. Will be checking out Season 2 come Thanksgiving and those sweet sweet black friday DVD deals.

Now that's a show that's better than its source material. If only all anime could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom