• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

I'm interested in Gungrave. Heard it's pretty good. However, I still need to start Darker Than Black again (Why haven't I progressed? I'm a dumbass). Are the two similar enough so that I should just keep watching DTB and save Gungrave for a hiatus or when I'm done, or can I watch the two simultaneously?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's crap. Bad looking, unfunny, pretentious. Don't waste your time.

I love boobs.

I'm not the biggest fan of Ixion Saga either, but how do you get that it's pretentious? That's not a word that's ever occurred to me when I think about the show.

trejo

I love boobs.

Bad looking and unfunny I can concede, but pretentious? I dunno. I feel like it was very upfront about what it was trying to be.

I'm interested in Gungrave. Heard it's pretty good. However, I still need to start Darker Than Black again (Why haven't I progressed? I'm a dumbass). Are the two similar enough so that I should just keep watching DTB and save Gungrave for a hiatus or when I'm done, or can I watch the two simultaneously?

All I know about Gungrave is that you're supposed to skip the first episode.

I love boobs.
i disagree
The humour is not for everyone ( like many comic anime , it can be hit or miss ) but it's not pretentious or bad looking ... what is bad looking in ixion anyway ?

Hmm, I think I need a second opinion. Preferably from someone that likes boobs.
Check the first 2 episodes and make your mind ... it doesn't change from that formula afterwards.

Bad looking and unfunny I can concede, but pretentious? I dunno. I feel like it was very upfront about what it was trying to be.

Ditto

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm not the biggest fan of Ixion Saga either, but how do you get that it's pretentious? That's not a word that's ever occurred to me when I think about the show.

I guess that was a bad choice of words. Pretentious is not really what I meant.

... I tried gathering my thoughts here to come up with a word for it, but I couldn't. I guess I just find annoying that a studio is actually putting effort in such unfunny skits and jokes, haha.

i disagree
The humour is not for everyone ( like many comic anime , it can be hit or miss ) but it's not pretentious or bad looking ... what is bad looking in ixion anyway ?

The character designs are pretty bad, the backgrounds are as generic as they get, the animation is low-effort.

And then you get ugly shots like these:

SOMiW.jpg

Code:Breaker 5

You see this bullshit right here? This is what I'm talking about! You give a nice
optimistic villain defeat speech to reform him
like any good shounen, then you disregard it to push your own fuckin capital punishment agenda! And how do you do it? By giving a bullshit reason that won't cure some kid's incredibly serious illness. It's on the same level as the end of Star Wars episode 3 (do I really need to spoiler this?)
where Panda Face apparently "dies of a broken heart".
Fuck that shit.

This was actually WORSE than the manga, because not only
did Ogami kill a dude in front of his super sick wheel-chair bound daughter, but the kids that got saved will only be marginally better off, being constantly abused by Eden to turn them into revenge-craving psychopaths no better than Ogami.
In the manga, it wasn't some special ability facility, it was just a bunch of random kids grabbed off the street, which IMO is more hateful (though both are pretty bad obviously).

Fuck this show. Only way to redeem it is if it ends with
Chisa killing Ogami at the end after a possible timeskip (or hell, don't even need a timeskip, might as well just have everyone suffer with a downer ending).

Fight was cool though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
i disagree

The "bad-looking" comment is probably the one that I can agree with the most. It has derivative character designs, boring set pieces with bad digital lighting, no quality action to speak of, and some scenes have a weird saturated look that brings out the worst in the already-garish color palette. As a whole, it just looks really cheap, which I suppose it is.

I guess that was a bad choice of words. Pretentious is not really what I meant.

... I tried gathering my thoughts here to come up with a word for it, but I couldn't. I guess I just find annoying that a studio is actually putting effort in such unfunny skits and jokes, haha.

The character designs are pretty bad, the backgrounds are as generic as they get, the animation is low-effort.

That was actually about as appropriate a reaction face as you could get given what was going on in that scene, I think.

And that's fine, I think I have a better feel for what you're trying to say, then. So, you don't like that the show thinks it's witty when it's actually not, basically? That's debatable, but because some of the jokes work for me while others don't I don't have a strong feeling on this one way or the other.

it never was meant to be a high production anime ... as for the generic part the whole anime is "generic" ..so much that they use in unconventionnal ways..
You're right , on a technical level it's nothing special ... and from the start it's never was the appeal..

Also your screenshot is very misleading ..
First it's suposed to be in motion.
Second the guy expression is overexageratted because he is being kicked in the balls , classic cartoon style.
Nothing special to note that would imply it's ugly ...
It's easy IMO to find a still shot just like that in another anime that would look bad without context

The "bad-looking" comment is probably the one that I can agree with the most. It has derivative character designs, boring set pieces with bad digital lighting, no quality action to speak of, and some scenes have a weird saturated look that brings out the worst in the already-garish color palette. As a whole, it just looks really cheap, which I suppose it is.

The problem i have with the "bad looking" argument is that everthing in ixion look cheap it's equally cheap ..i guess this would be a sufficient reason to not watch if you can't look back at the rest of the things it provides.

Brazil

That was actually about as appropriate a reaction face as you could get given what was going on in that scene, I think.

And that's fine, I think I have a better feel for what you're trying to say, then. So, you don't like that the show thinks it's witty when it's actually not, basically? That's debatable, but because some of the jokes work for me while others don't I don't have a strong feeling on this one way or the other.

Yeah, that's the gist of it.

it never was meant to be a high production anime ... as for the generic part the whole anime is "generic" ..so much that they use in unconventionnal ways..
You're right , on a technical level it's nothing special ... and from the start it's never was the appeal..

Also your screenshot is very misleading ..
First it's suposed to be in motion.
Second the guy expression is overexageratted because he is being kicked in the balls , classic cartoon style.
Nothing special to note that would imply it's ugly ...
It's easy IMO to find a still shot just like that in another anime that would look bad without context

I did watch the anime in motion, not in screenshots, and the way the scene was portrayed weirded me out.

I understand what you're saying about the low budget this show probably has, which wouldn't be a problem if it had other qualities. But in my opinion, it does not.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah, that's the gist of it.

I did watch the anime in motion, not in screenshots, and the way the scene was portrayed weirded me out.

I understand what you're saying about the low budget this show probably has, which wouldn't be a problem if it had other qualities. But in my opinion, it does not.

I'll just say you have the weirdest response to a comedic reaction face that I've seen.

UN-GO 1-11 (end)
tumblr_luv38nDBWs1qi8v4uo1_500.jpg

9 / 10. Pretty good overall, the myteries did get better and better and I think the last arc was quite good (though I think I did predict who the culprit was before Shuunjuorou). Good characters were Shuunjurou, Inga
alternate form was alright, the eye thing was magical, though boy form superior
, Head Kaishou of JJ (but not Rie, she was so annoying always jumping to wrong conclusions), and Hayami.

Favorite episodes were
The one with the novelist and the prison movie. Something about how it was done and even foiled me into thinking something had happened to Shuunjuorou and the solution to the case was well. Additionally the one before it with the dude and his wife/kids was emotional as well as surprising how it resolved.
. The last one worked well just because of gathering so many personalities together, having some technology basis, and then having a hard to deduce solution
without Shuunjuorou needing Kaishou's help, and some independed from Inga

Dub was good for all voices surprisingly. Good purchase.

UN-GO episode:0 Inga-ron

9/ 10. I dont like this way of story telling, consistently cuts to the past and present are always hard for me to follow. I just like being told a story linearly and thats it, really simple. However, with having seen a clip or so during the main episode set, and making it easy to follow
well once he met Inga
. Having a few of the details from the main show show up here also made it easy to follow to and kind of felt rewarding just to recognize characters or these events that helped shape Shunnjuorou's characters or others.
Benten's powers never get old reminding me of another animes character skills of illusion, and having an entire war crafted here was mindblowing a bit. Fortunately the method employed to breaking through was non-conventional. I did laugh how the antagonist was taken down.

The initial history of when Shuunjuorou was a kid (nice to see) didnt feel all that important or necessary in the overall context of this though and didnt care much for his friends
or their dull truths

Was a worthwhile addition and glad sentai included it.

UN-GO: Inga Nikki

7/ 10. Surprised sentai even included this. Often I dont use special features but I thought to just check it out and it was, although a parody of sorts, quite funny. It wasnt dubbed but their JPN voices are just as good as the english ones, almost considering running through the whole anime again in JPN audio. Best ones was "My Little Sister I Saw That Day Didnt Like Detectives At All, But His Friend Can Read Kanji" and the one about everything falling, the animes ratings didnt seriously fall did they?

Brazil

I'll just say you have the weirdest response to a comedic reaction face that I've seen.

It's not really just the face I have a problem with. It's the combination between it, the background, the stupid hair...

Or maybe my criticism of that shot is just the result of pent-up anger I garnered while watching the first 18 minutes of the episode being released by my subconsciousness exactly during that scene.

Uchip

Banned
Dragonball (1986) 1-13
marathon'd the first arc
surprisingly the show is very animated, more than I was expecting given its age
almost every scene was memorable enough to activate nostalgia mode revisiting it 15 or so years later

one thing that weirds me out now, is that in this world there are both standard animals and talking animals, and goku kills the regular ones and eats them o.o

jman2050

Pre-Z Dragon Ball doesn't get nearly enough love, especially since it does many notable things better than the more well-known second half of the story.

Uchip

Banned
Pre-Z Dragon Ball doesn't get nearly enough love, especially since it does many notable things better than the more well-known second half of the story.

the first few episodes of Dragonball alone have more personality than the entirety of Z
GT felt somewhere in the middle and it was weird

Dragonball is vastly better than Z. I loved all the Tenkaichi Budokai's, and humans getting focused on. Only thing DBZ had was Future Trunks, best character in the franchise (oh and Gotenks)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I highly recommend Gungrave. Best videogame anime adaptation I've ever seen.

Narag

I'm looking forward to checking out the original DB next year. Gotta level up my shounen.

Maedhros

Tonari no Kaibatsukun 05

Outside of everything related to Yuzan, this episode was fucking amazing. Dat ending... is a love triangle starting to brew? Nice.

Still the best show of this season, IMO. I love these two.

UN-GO 1-11 (end)

It's nice to see someone watching this. I really enjoyed this show, despite it not making a lot of sense.

Dragonball is vastly better than Z. I loved all the Tenkaichi Budokai's, and humans getting focused on. Only thing DBZ had was Future Trunks, best character in the franchise (oh and Gotenks)

smh

Well, if you want boobs, and only boobs, Mariandel has them!

Boobs are great, but I need more than that. Not a lot, but definitely not just boobs. And yea, that picture at the top of the page is why I asked if it was any good.

Brazil

Girls und Panzer 1

rKKtK.jpg

I wonder how Tomat feels about this.

Oh... Huh? This is pretty amusing!

The sismance is pretty strong up in here, and the characters seem fun, despite being extremely stereotypical. I guess it's the influence of the bizarre theme combined with anime cliches, which is also what made Upotte!! fascinating. Oh, and the use of CG is surprisingly consistent.

And then at the end of episode... Oh, cool, a CG panorama scene... WHAT.

This could be interesting, hahaha.

Well, if you want boobs, and only boobs, Mariandel has them!

Boobs are great, but I need more than that. Not a lot, but definitely not just boobs. And yea, that picture at the top of the page is why I asked if it was any good.

jaXRE.gif

Maedhros

SAO 18

Mother of God, those breasts... @_@

Anyway, anything is going just like I've read so far... Next episode will be nice.

Syrinx

I highly recommend Gungrave. Best videogame anime adaptation I've ever seen.

Huh, it's an adaptation of a videogame? Didn't know that. I will watch Gungrave at some point; I'm just wondering if I should start soon or until I finish/go into hiatus with Darker Than Black.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm looking forward to checking out the original DB next year. Gotta level up my shounen.

It's on my eventual backlog too, but I don't know just how much I'd like it. I've had a couple of people tell me that it's loaded with toilet humor, which really isn't my thing, but I trust AnimeGAF's opinion more so if this isn't true, please tell me.

Where the fuck is Klein? Best character and no screen time.

If there's no
pizza dinner
by the time SAO ends I'll be forced to disavow the existence of the entire show.

Uchip

Banned
It's on my eventual backlog too, but I don't know just how much I'd like it. I've had a couple of people tell me that it's loaded with toilet humor, which really isn't my thing, but I trust AnimeGAF's opinion more so if this isn't true, please tell me.

it certainly is
but its also some of the best use of dirty jokes
id say it gets a free pass for using them first

Narag

I'm not one for it all that much either and that's one reason I was tenative about starting Gintama. I suppose it's all in the execution in the end.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Suite Precure - 47-48 [END]

h2MUV.png
hOdgx.png

KurPe.png
sU4tR.png

My eyes hurt.

I certainly enjoyed this series much more than I expected to. I only wished there weren't so many episodes to go through. While a good number of them were there to help build the viewers interest in the yet to be Precures
"Beat" - Ellen/Siren, and "Muse" - Ako
I felt that a few episodes could've been snipped to not prolong the eventual outcome for those specific arcs.

Another minor gripe I had was the lack of Waon. Why in the hell
did she not have a chance to become a Precure? She has a lot of the traits and the ability to make her a valid candidate. While she may not have expressed a vocal interest in music I'm sure she was a fan all the same.
And that chemistry between her and Hibiki... my god it was intoxicating! My secondary OTP of HibikixWaon became stronger the further we reached the end of the show, largely due from the focus shift of Hibiki and Kanade onto the later to be Precures.

That aside, the yuri beams, the blushing, and the fingersex finishing moves made this really fun to watch. I look forward to watching Smile (whenever that may be) as people find that show to be more enjoyable in comparison to Suite.

Oh before I forget:

Ellen>Waon>Hibiki>Kanade>>>>>>>>>>>>Ako

hmmm do there exist VA (american, japanese, or w/e) that are ugly fat motherfuckers with a voice of gold?

Most seem to look like they model on the side or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom