• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
6HgTo.png

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Psycho-Pass 04
What a strange episode. Most of its interesting elements come from its bizarre online structuring, while I feel the procedural aspects are very routine, manufactured, and boring. Someone like Spooky Boogie who showed up this episode had more personality than most of the detective unit who've been around since the start.

I found the technology range bugged me in this episode for some reason. Like, I just don't understand aspects of it. They know when people enter and leave their apartment but they can't track these murderers on the job, or tell who was in the residence invaded? They need to catch some guy so they run around with their guns out checking each individual in a crowd? Why isn't there any easier way to do an analysis? Why isn't their regulation to check these numbers the guns acquire? If holo technology is so simple that it can be used for a costume party like this would impersonation not be rampant?

As far as more basic errors in a script like this go, there was a disconnect between what the show is peddling as important and what it is focused on. The intro sets up Akane's curiosity and interest in Kogami being the thing she is most interested in, and what the show is clearly based around. The problem is that none of that really shows up later on in the episode, as there isn't much interaction between the two or anything that would push Akane to further understand Kogami's thought process. Instead we get an episode based around pursuit of enemies too distant. As the viewer we have no motive, no insight to who was the killer, no idea who was killed, so it is extremely hard to connect to the situation when all we get is an emotionless procedural run-over of the facts to push the case forward.

There were some interesting shots online, and a few with stacked characters in the frame that helped establish certain scenes well, but the later sections of the episode felt fairly mundane and unexciting as shot after shot needlessly captured large swathes to set scenes without really bringing much meaning to them.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Here's four more pages worth of salt if you want to look. (NSFW if you have the 18+ filter off)

Link isn't showing anything, and I have the filers off. :(

Here's the thing about Ellen, and Hitokage will hate me for this:
I just can't get over the fact that she used to be a cat!

Haha, I try to ignore that little tidbit.

Do it! You'll blow through just on the Akane x Nao fantasies alone.

Also, unless you want to be totally completionist, there's a Suite Precure movie but I'd strongly recommend that you skip it. It's the single worst work from the entire franchise that I've seen--it's more lifeless than the most lifeless Precure filler episode and three times the length. Just get a jump start on Smile.

Will do, and thanks for the warning regarding the Suite movie.

You finished this show in a week man. lol

Originally I was trying to knock it out in 2 days but things came up that prevented me from doing so. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Code:Breaker 04
OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI OGAMI oh wait I already made this joke.

So much ridiculous animu ridiculousness and srs bsns seriousness. I like it, though! The whole mix works because it doesn't particularly go in one direction or the other. This show would be a lot duller if Ogami were the main character and not Sakura.

Some of the faces were quite derpy in this episode. Not to mention the sand CGI looked horrendous. You take the good with the bad, I guess.

Articalys

According to the most recent cover of good! Afternoon magazine, it seems that the manga series Witchcraft Works is getting some sort of anime.
plot summary said:
Honoka Takamiya, a regular student, sits next to Ayaka Kagari, the idol of the school, a perfect girl in every way. Her hostile legion of fans harass anyone close enough to their princess, causing trouble for Honoka every day. One day he faces a deadly attack from someone unknown, but he is rescued by a powerful sorceress of fire... Kagari herself!
ANN's summary said:
The story centers around Honoka Takamiya, a boy whose classmate Ayaka Kagari is talented in sports, excels in classes, and is attractive on top of everything. She also happens to be most powerful witch on earth. Her purpose in life is to protect Takamiya at all costs.

yami4ct

Space Brothers 30
While I love JoJo, this show has to be tied with HXH for my favorite show currently on the air. Week to week it reminds me why I love it so much. I honestly don't know how it keeps up the quality. I adore how earnest and non-cynical it is. With characters as borderline ridiculous as those that sometimes appear in the show, it would be easy to become very cynical about them and lose track of what makes the show so lovable. I also have to hand it to the tech designer. There's a perfect mix of looking futuristic enough to believe this stuff is an advancement of our current tech, but still looking practical. Really helps sell the world.

Jex

I was just reading that the actual production time for Castle of Cagliostro was under five months. What the hell? They can't have ever slept.

yami4ct

I was just reading that the actual production time for Castle of Cagliostro was under five months. What the hell? They can't have ever slept.

Given the almost slave driving level of conditions a lot of animators work in, it's not too surprising. I guess what's more surprising is how well it turned out. I've only ever caught clips of it. One of the few Miyazaki films I haven't seen. Mostly due to the fact I haven't seen much Lupin. I should rectify that soon.

You know, you could have

A. Chosen to listen to the people who recommended that you avoid this show

B. Simply stop watching it

As it is, your apparent dislike rings hollow.
It's almost like people enjoy these animeGAF staples. Shocking, I know!

HidaSketch x Honeycomb 1

My god, the startling secret behind the School Principal is finally revealed in all it's sick and twisted glory. How...
ihpLf42oXWDQX.gif

yami4ct

It's almost like people enjoy these animeGAF staples. Shocking, I know!

Given all the memes that apparently stem from this show, and the amount it's discussed, I feel I feel an inherent need to see it for myself. I need to know why it's so bad. It's partially the fact I sometimes like watching bad TV, and partially the need to feel informed.Honestly, it's mostly your fault. Haha.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 05

I just love how even the narrator's reading is full of so much bravado and boisterous excitement. It totally sets the tone for the show.

Wait, hold on, why the fuck is Jojo dressed like the Fresh Prince from Bel-Air? Damn you, fabulous colour palette!

The visuals may not be very strong, but I'm adoring the soundtrack. Maybe I'm just noticing it more now that the animation is reaching the point of absolute zero!

Given all the memes that apparently stem from this show, and the amount it's discussed, I feel I feel an inherent need to see it for myself. I need to know why it's so bad. It's partially the fact I sometimes like watching bad TV, and partially the need to feel informed.Honestly, it's mostly your fault. Haha.
Me personally? Oh gosh, I'm flattered. You will come to thank me for this...in time.

yami4ct

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 05

I just love how even the narrator's reading is full of so much bravado and boisterous excitement. It totally sets the tone for the show.

Wait, hold on, why the fuck is Jojo dressed like the Fresh Prince from Bel-Air? Damn you, fabulous colour palette!

The visuals may not be very strong, but I'm adoring the soundtrack. Maybe I'm just noticing it more now that the animation is reaching the point of absolute zero!

I agree with almost all of what you said, except for saying it didn't have strong visuals. While clearly the animation budget for JoJo is quite low, it gets by with great art and style. I think that more than makes up for what the animation lacks. The way they use still images, while they are cheap to animate, is really evocative and makes a lot of sense in context. It really shows, this is the right way to make a show on the cheap. It's cheap, but it doesn't feel cheap.

cajunator

Banned
Tonari no Kaibatsukun 05

Outside of everything related to Yuzan, this episode was fucking amazing. Dat ending... is a love triangle starting to brew? Nice.

Still the best show of this season, IMO. I love these two.

They had to throw in a meganekko Kana Hanazawa girl in there to complicate things. Oh how my heart struggled to function.

Where the fuck is Klein? Best character and no screen time.

That seems to be the prevalent problem with SAO. It introduces characters far more compelling than the main cast and then just discards them.

Well actually, theres a very specific thing about the show, not really that its bad...

fertygo

I agree with almost all of what you said, except for saying it didn't have strong visuals. While clearly the animation budget for JoJo is quite low, it gets by with great art and style. I think that more than makes up for what the animation lacks. The way they use still images, while they are cheap to animate, is really evocative and makes a lot of sense in context. It really shows, this is the right way to make a show on the cheap. It's cheap, but it doesn't feel cheap.

Its cheap no matter what dude, JoJo just make anything better. Stuff even more glorious when its reached 2nd arc. Low production value to be damned.

yami4ct

Its cheap no matter what dude, JoJo just make anything better. Stuff even more glorious when its reached 2nd arc. Low production value to be damned.

It's cheap, but I think they use their money wisely. With as low of budget JoJo appears to have, it could look much worse. Of course, having such fabulous source material helps a ton.

Dresden

It's cheap, but I think they use their money wisely. With as low of budget JoJo appears to have, it could look much worse. Of course, having such fabulous source material helps a ton.

I don't know, some of the art and the backgrounds couldn't look worse if they tried.

It's been better since they got out of the mansion, though.

Jex

I don't know, some of the art and the backgrounds couldn't look worse if they tried.

It's been better since they got out of the mansion, though.

It's hard to top the CG mansion in terms of raw ugliness. Bad textures, bad colours, bad everything.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Magi 03
WkpxLl.jpg

being alibaba is suffering
Is it a bad thing that I kept thinking I would rather play this story as a JRPG than watch it as an anime?

I was ready to drop the show before this. I don't know if it was the shounenesque fighting or whatever, but I'm totally digging the setting now. There was a lot more going on with the characters, particularly Morgiana. She's granted a lot of characterisation for a girl who never says a word, even if said characterisation is just a Rei clone with a different hair colour.

Nevertheless, the rice bowl mouths still faze me. I stare at them and cannot help but scream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom