• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psycho-Sketch 04

We need to go wider.

Wider.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

hidamari8-2k1q3u.jpg

Grzi

A nice sakuga MAD featuring almost every scene You Yoshinari did from 2000 to 2011 was posted on Youtube about a month ago, so I thought it'd be cool to post it here:

Part 1
Part 2

Grzi

Code Breaker - 05

Wow, they may be trying a bit to hard in making Ogami a ruthless badass dude. It was funny how Sakura immediately understood why he did what he did and justified it. Yeah, this continues to be dumb but really entertaining.

cjkeats

Hanamaru Kindergarten

It's okay Tsuchida, I know that being stuck in the friend zone is like too.
Overall, this show was pretty delightful to watch. Nothing to write home about, but it had charm and plenty of cute. The overarching love story seemed almost a little pandering, with the typical nerd man-child pursuing the sweet oblivious cow-tits lady. That made it almost a relief that in the end
he didn't get the girl
Most of the episodes revolve around Anzu and crew trying to win Tsuchida's love and being adorable doing it, in all kinds of screenshot/gif worthy moments. They even add a healthy dose of little sister later on.

I counted 4 spit takes and only one of them had someone drinking anything.

duckroll

Jexhius and duckroll didn't believe me, but now....now they understand.

I didn't want to believe that they would follow up an experimental bad episode with an actual bad episode. Ishihama really needs to get a grip on the overall production if he thinks that stuff like that is okay. :(

Is no one watching Panzer? I don't remember seeing any gifs of that fish dance.

Girls und Panzer is great. It's a fun show, with good writing, nice action, and tons of heart. Basically a moe shounen sports series with tanks. I like it a lot! There just isn't much to talk about on a regular basis.

Firehawk doesn't like the appropriation of WW2 German military imagery for a show about cute girls driving tanks, and made this very clear in the last thread.

I am surprised more people aren't watching the show - I know Pdot's quite big on military stuff in general but I'd have thought the show would have more appeal than that. I have no interest in cute girl shows OR tanks, which is why I'm not watching it, but I'm hardly reflective of other people's tastes.

I think a number of people are watching it. It's just that there isn't much discussion since impressions get cleared out earlier in the week, and there's nothing to really debate about beyond that. The show isn't particularly German-centric in the tanks either. There are German tanks, Japanese tanks, American thanks, British tanks, etc. Fun for the whole world! <3

Teekyu 05

They actually played tennis!

I actually watched more episodes because of that pic. I think I might have permanent brain damage now. Thanks. :(

[Magi] - 5

Anyhow, this is what a bad guy looks like, apparently:

Magi51.jpg

The interesting thing about Magi is how it handles villains actually. The "bad guys" always tend to look like that. Clearly evil, bad, etc, but they're not the actual antagonists in the storylines. The bad guys like that are often in the backgrounds, and they also tend to get away somehow. The true antagonists are simply people with strong opinions who get caught up in big events either because of their own ideology or being influenced by the sort of people shown in that screen.

It's interesting because there's a rather clear black and white in that sense where there is good and there is evil, but at the same time, the actual characterizations and scenarios where it counts tends to be much more in the grey territory. But who knows if Yoshino will be able to bring that out in the show. He already failed in the first 3 episodes! :(

Ga-Rei Zero. God-tier soundtrack, bitchin' action sequences, solid dub, more FEELS than you can shake a stick at, and some of this
ip7VXbsrV90mf.gif

On Netflix for your viewing pleasure.

From the director of Fate/Zero! :D

Oh my god, my power is back! Time to catch up on a week's worth of anime!

Congrats. We've missed you, and more importantly, your shounen anime episodes are missing you!

Zetsuen no Tempest 05

Nice episode. Now we know how that hole on the mountain was made... holy shit! Until now, I don't see any problems with this anime.

Ando's greatest challenge as a director should be coming up in the next 6 episodes or so. How he adapts the material and what he does with it will either make or break this show for the rest of the series. It's going to be pretty exciting!

Psycho-Sketch 04

We need to go wider.

Wider.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Good God. I can never see that episode in the same way again. Lol!

BluWacky

Forgive me if already posted, but it seems that Niji-iro Hotaru is getting an English language screening at the Waterloo Festival next week (thanks to ANN for the heads-up). This is its English language premiere, and the film's DVD (not BD) release isn't until the end of the month.

The PV for the film gives you an idea of the kind of thing you might expect. Young adult novel adaptation, time travel etc. Expect much mono no aware.

wonzo

Banned
"...Now if you're skipping to the ending of School Days, you will never in a trillion years experience the series. You'll think you have experienced it, but you'll be cheated. It's such a sadness that you think you've seen School Days by skipping to the fucking ending. Get real."
- David Lynch on School Days

wise words

Novid

Banned
"...Now if you're skipping to the ending of School Days, you will never in a trillion years experience the series. You'll think you have experienced it, but you'll be cheated. It's such a sadness that you think you've seen School Days by skipping to the fucking ending. Get real."

wise words

real quote?

Jex

wise words

agreebyrd.gif

Grzi

real quote?

Of course. Didn't you know Lynch was supposed to direct a horror anime series (and be the producer of the anime adaptation of Twin Peaks) but the animation Illuminati stopped it from happening because they want to destroy the Western anime industry.

Novid

Banned
Of course. Didn't you know Lynch was supposed to direct a horror anime series (and be the producer of the anime adaptation of Twin Peaks) but the animation Illuminati stopped it from happening because they want to destroy the Western anime industry.

o_O

Cwarrior

Magi 5

While the last two episodes are an improvement over the first 3 it still wins hands down the prize of being the worst anime shounen adaptation ever(looks like crap) would of been better off being handled by studio Deen.

Magi deserves better then this.

Grzi

Magi 5

While the last two episodes are an improvement over the first 3 it still wins hands down the prize of being the worst anime shounen adaptation ever(looks like crap) would of been better off being handled by studio Deen.

What?
If nothing else, the show looks really great, better than most other shounen adaptations, probably better than all of them except FMA.

Defuser

Magi ep 5
Surprised Paimon didn't got censored with that nipples of hers and considering it is aired on a major timeslot.

That was a brutal end for Ryosai. At least we a got Djinn equip never seen before in the manga!

Cwarrior

What?
If nothing else, the show looks really great, better than most other shounen adaptations, probably better than all of them except FMA.

Don't make me screen grab, They can't even animate moving mouth flaps properly(rice bowls), any shot with horse look bad and the characters look out of place in there environment a lot of the time.

The looks are the least of it's problems.

Grzi

Don't make me screen grab this episode, They can't even animate moving mouth flaps properly(rice bowls), any shot with horse look bad and the characters look out of place in there environment(background look bad for shounen).

It's only natural some episodes will look worse than the others, but the first three episodes of Magi have more animation in them than most shounen anime during their entire run. I can only imagine how good the more important fights will look.
I'm not telling you to like the show or how it adapts the manga since that's totally up on you, but saying that the show doesn't have above average production values and talented animators working on it is a clear sign that you don't know what you're talking about.

Westlo

Magi 5

Whiner please, you acting like this is Mago season 1 bad or even worse Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Cwarrior

It's only natural some episodes will look worse than the others, but the first three episodes of Magi have more animation in them than most shounen anime during their entire run. I can only imagine how good the more important fights will look.
I'm not telling you to like the show or how it adapts the manga since that's totally up on you, but saying that the show doesn't have above average production values and talented animators working on it is a clear sign that you don't know what you're talking about.

laughing.gif

Good one, no it's clear you don't know what your talking about, talent animators get contracted to work shounens all the time (who do you think animate fights?).

Whiner please, you acting like this is Mago season 1 bad or even worse Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Don't know what mago is and never seen samurai deeper kyo.

The looks aren't all that's wrong with it.

Necrovex

Sword Art Online is making me cry at its badness. I thought the first season was meh, but holy fuck this current season is painful. Too much incest, I cringed during Dexter when this almost happened, and I cringe at it now.

Ga-Rei Zero. God-tier soundtrack, bitchin' action sequences, solid dub, more FEELS than you can shake a stick at, and some of this
ip7VXbsrV90mf.gif

I know what I'm watching tonight!

Jubern

JoJo - 05

F.U.C.K. Y.E.S.

And it only gets better. Wish I could forget all about the manga so I could experience this for the first time by watching the show.

That's how I'm doing it. First time, total JoJo virgin. And damn it's good.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ip7VXbsrV90mf.gif

Absolutely fantastic show. One of my favorite first episodes ever. Everybody should watch this show, Aoki is a god.

Too bad the manga is a piece of shit.

I know what I'm watching tonight!
Woot! Don't go in expecting the second coming of Christ or anything -- it's just a really solid action show from top to bottom that at 12 episodes doesn't drag or overstay its welcome. It's also one of my favorite series, but that's beside the point.
Absolutely fantastic show. One of my favorite first episodes ever. Everybody should watch this show, Aoki is a god.

Too bad the manga is a piece of shit.
The manga has some decent humor, at least. It's too bad about everything else.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

wise words

Indeed.

My little sister can't be this stuck in last place #5

tsundere > office lady > childhood friend > eyepatch > imouto

Oh we have office ladies now? Imouto show is pulling out all the stops!

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed HD Remaster 24
Why do most scenes that look remastered have to be ones in which Archangel is getting all beat up? Anyway, I guess the BD greatly has more redone shots than the tv airing or whatever, or rather there were way more that I was starting to lose count, maybe? Opening battle was good even if Athrun and Kira didnt interact much. Though if Yzak dies in this anime :(

I didnt think Cagalli was that loaded and of fancy pedigree, everyone was shocked. Im surprised they agreed to let Strike/Kira assist Orb but they really had no option, I can only assume things will go down and they will be forced to swiftly leave and head for Alaska versus being held captive, and Athrun's sneak in play is awesome.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Maybe you don't understand this whole magic business.

That's what you think until one day you walk in on her and she's
licking her own ass
like it's business as usual.

Of course, that may be a plus to some here, but I really don't want to know who you are!

cajunator

Banned
My little sister can't be this stuck in last place #5

tsundere > office lady > childhood friend > eyepatch > imouto

Office ladies are amazing.
the ones from Goldenboy left an impression on my younger mind that I very much appreciated. Viva the working class :D

Orlandu84

Because others have been mentioning the Magi manga, I started reading it. Although I only read the first four chapters, I can see why so many people are upset over the poorly executed anime adaptation. I have found the manga really funny and enjoyable so at least the anime has gotten me to read the manga :)

Nonetheless, ever since the first episode of Magi, I have had this feeling of deja vu. I kept thinking, "I am watching Fullmetal Alchemist (2004) again?" The art and music kept reminding me of Fullmetal Alchemist. Now that I have read the manga and see how they have adopted some of it, I can see similarities with that as well.

Now, the fifth episode of Magi gives me some hope that it won't become as bad the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime, but I am really worried that the directors of the anime do not have a clear idea of how to handle the source material. I suppose that the key difference is that Fullmetal Alchemist (2004) became really bad (IMO) in its second half (after it diverged from the manga entirely) whereas the Magi anime seems to be doing the beginning differently. Of course, when Fullmetal Alchemist's first anime series was made the manga was not complete. Does anyone know if the Magi manga is anyway near to being completed?

Grzi

laughing.gif

Good one, no it's clear you don't know what your talking about, talent animators get contracted to work shounens all the time (who do you think animate fights?).

I'm more than aware of that, I was simply exaggerating in an attempt to illustrate how gorgeous those three episodes looked.

prwxv3

I really hope the Witchcraft Works adaptation gets a a good studio that can animate well. The artwork is gorgeous and full of detail. I want to see the witch sombreros animated in all their glory. The story is nothing special but its really stylish fun.

Uchip

Banned
I still hold the view that Magi has started off much better than most adaptations of shonen action and adventure manga especially visuals and music.

the music? really?

That's what you think until one day you walk in on her and she's
licking her own ass
like it's business as usual.

Of course, that may be a plus to some here, but I really don't want to know who you are!

the ass licking, not so much
the flexibility on the other hand

Jex

[Girls und Panzer] - 1

feminine.png

I hadn't realised that there was nothing more feminine than operating a tank, but now I know better. Apparently the people involved in 'Tankery' have some pretty good propaganda on their side.

Anyway now that I've finally got around to watching this episode I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I was rather turned off by all the CG vehicles and such but at the very least all the CG allows them to have fairly dynamic camerawork. All in all the direction and characters are fairly lively and the show appears to be free from offensive fanservice shit.

The set up is pretty similar to a standard sports show, except this particular sport just happens to involve tanks. They even have the cliché of the character whose had a bad experience with this thing in the past but nevertheless they have to get involved with it now because of reasons.

The only things that I don't like is, er, the art in general. I don't like the character designs or the background art, it looks cheap and clean and I dislike the pastel colour scheme.

I remember reading some earlier discussions where people, and by people I mean firehawk12, where talking about Nazi imagery or whatever (apologies for not looking up your specific posts) but I don't really understand that complaint. I may have only seen one episode but haven't been any references to that at all, the tanks in question aren't even exclusively German! There weren't even references to any particular country or area in the episode, it was just wacky Japanese student council nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom