• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 06

This show continues to impress. It is such a great adaptation of the manga, it is amazing how well they take the scenes and add their own little bits that makes the story flow so much better.

The scenes with class rep was really well done and they are going at a really good pace of adaptating the chapters.

Also great to hear Koyasu as neither the villain, rapist, creepy guy or all three at once for a change.

Oh, she's so lovely.

Grzi

劇しんBGM「ひろしの回想」 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaiqbkiYPNw

Every time... it happens, every given time... chills down my spine, with that music... isn't it, Dresden?

Yes! That song (and scene) is amazing.

A little translated nugget:

http://togetter.com/li/400167

Coming from that old fan... sounds good to me!

Sounds pretty fucking great to me too.

Stuff like this makes me remember why I bother watching Japanese cartoons in the first place. Great shit.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, You Yoshinari is one of the greatest to ever do it, that's for sure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't seen any cosplay yet but perhaps I'm missing something.
Is this a thing where we're just saying Rommel wasn't a Nazi because he wasn't one of the "bad ones"?

For a lot of them, the Confederates are the good guys.
And that's the problem. lol

That comparison is strangely apt. All BrocureGAF needs to earn the rest of OT's anger is a community thread.

I don't think I can stand CGI crowds anymore. Especially after Ginga e Kickoff!.

God damn son. lol

I don't think BroCure will ever really take off unless more Japanese people start invading GAF.

Also, Ginga hasn't really had a match in front of a big crowd anyway, has it?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If I'm not me, who else would I be?
and I have drawn some Mugi, but nothing worth showing.
Boooo.
I am only ever behind by 2-4 pages, so there isnt a whole lot of need to multi-quote.
I can pretty much respond to things as they occur or shortly after.
Its only when I sleep or have a particularly busy day at work that I have to multi-quote anything to catch up on the thread.
To give you an idea of how often I have this thread open, its on my tablet, my phone, and my personal PC and my parents PC as well as their tablet too. So really I am hardly ever without access to this thread and site. With the advent of smartphones I am even more connected to it. So it isnt too strange that my post count would be high. Its pretty much the norm for me as I have posted on many messageboards and have thousands of posts on those as well. Its definitely not a Gaf-only thing.
This explains a lot. Even so, I think you missed my point.
That's more of a Jexhius thing.
Not really. Jexhius has his fair share of one-liners, but they are scarce when compared to most other posters. Not to mention I've learned lots about scene composition from his episode impressions, so he gets a free pass.
I didn't get quoted once in Reg's post :(
You need to try harder.
God damn son. lol

I don't think BroCure will ever really take off unless more Japanese people start invading GAF.

Also, Ginga hasn't really had a match in front of a big crowd anyway, has it?
K-ONGAF is basicaly ten to twelve people regurgitating the same memes over and over, spiced with the occasional Chu2shite reviews and the fanart. BrocureGAF could make it.

Re: Ginga: and it's all the better because of it. I actually liked how Tsubasa handled the crowds by rarely focusing on them, and if they did they only showed the same old gang who followed Tsubasa from his early years.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Smile Precure - 03

6qQgb.png
P4xnb.png

VRzIH.png
QAYIg.png

Man this girl really is a cute nuke, holy shit. I need to level up my fortitude otherwise I don't think I'll even be able to make it halfway. Anyway:

Those guys were total jerks for
shitting on Yayoi's poster,
Akane should've punched them in their mouths.

A slight gripe I have is everyone saying the line "I have no clue what's going on, but okay!". I wished they would mix it up so it wouldn't look so formulaic when the girls are transforming for the first time. Let the characters have their own flair when accepting this awesome responsibility!

Aside from that, another solid episode. :D

cajunator

Banned
Smile Precure - 03

Man this girl really is a cute nuke, holy shit. I need to level up my fortitude otherwise I don't think I'll even be able to make it halfway. Anyway:

A slight gripe I have is everyone saying the line "I have no clue what's going on, but okay!". I wished they would mix it up so it wouldn't look so formulaic when the girls are transforming for the first time. Let the characters have their own flair when accepting this awesome responsibility!

You might die from Yayoi-nuke, but its totally worth it.
Aside from merely being cute, she's totally a sweetheart. She's like Charles from Infinite Stratos but in a vastly better show.
Except for those Akanbes. Fuck those.

Joe Molotov

Smile Precure - 03

Yayoi is so cute, it's terrifying.

Jex

Magi 5

Hey, that was alright. While I've yet to find the Magi anime actively compelling, I am fairly enjoying it now that it possesses some sense of focus. Hopefully, it will improve from here on out and not turn to a clunky mess like some of the previous episodes. I'm guessing Ali Baba will get some screen time in the next episode. He could use some of the juice from the improved pacing.

I know this sounds a little, you know, extreme, but I really do recommend reading the Magi manga from the beginning up till the start of the fourth episode. It improves things considerably.

Of course, if the anime goes back to being weird again then I'll just give up on it entirely.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun 6

I'm really glad this is still a show where all the characters are pretty likable.
I think they're likeable, but not particularly interesting or entertaining. I kind of don't understand why this story is being told, if that makes sense.

Jex

One more positive thing I will say about those episodes of Cross Game is how improved the composition and lighting is in some of the shots. I mean I didn't think this show was capable of producing shots like this:

crossart.png

I mean, it used to look like this:

CrossGame6_zps2c56ce12.jpg

Smile Precure - 01

AWESOME first episode! Miyuki certainly is an energetic character, her happy go lucky attitude along with her overreactions made her and this episode so fun to watch. And is that Chopper's VA for Candy? Hype!

You know what I really like though? The fucking boyshorts/hotpants that all the Precures wear. It's about damn time they got some love! :D

We got a brief introduction to Akane and Nao along with the other girls. Can't wait to pull this anchor up and start shipping! Oh, and one more thing.

FwYZX.png
i hope you have heart medication ready because well yayoi is really a nice character ... without her, the show would have been "boring"...
She is one of teh 2 character that push this show forward by themselves only ...

Hunter x Hunter 2011 54

It's nice to see a villain group actually trying to avoid the good guys for once. Of course, that's only going to make what's to come better.

Well only because they knew that they are 100% sure that they would lose members..

cajunator

Banned
One more positive thing I will say about those episodes of Cross Game is how improved the composition and lighting is in some of the shots. I mean I didn't think this show was capable of producing shots like this:

crossart.png

I mean, it used to look like this:

CrossGame6_zps2c56ce12.jpg

To be fair, you compared an outside shot during a picturesque time of day to a normally lighted and frankly dull shot inside of a room.

Jex

I think they're likeable, but not particularly interesting or entertaining. I kind of don't understand why this story is being told, if that makes sense.

You don't understand what the point of the story is? Or you don't understand where it's supposed to be going, if anywhere?
To be fair, you compared an outside shot during a picturesque time of day to a normally lighted and frankly dull shot inside of a room.

I'm talking about the composition of the image itself, not what that image is supposed to be depicting.

cajunator

Banned
You don't understand what the point of the story is? Or you don't understand where it's supposed to be going, if anywhere?

I'm talking about the composition of the image itself, not what that image is supposed to be depicting.

I know, but you are still comparing two different lighting situations and completely different compositions together. What about an outside shot from earlier in the show to more aptly demonstrate what you are talking about?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Last night I hung out with a friend to go watch Wreck it Ralph. He brought along one of his friends who loves anime as well. We all tlaked for like 2 hours after the move was over in the parking lot about everything from recent anime, to harems where the main protagonist actually chooses a girl, to Berserk outtakes, to favorite shows, and how disturbing Dance in the Vampire Bund is and how much blonde loli vampires are becoming a thing. The only problem is he is moving to the Dominican Republic for work so there goes another anime watching Lafayette-ian. Wish I knew more people who were into anime :/

By the way, Vanellope in the movie is ADORABLE.

Dance in the Vampire Bund is disturbing? I watched the first two episodes and didn't see anything strange. Unless by disturbing you mean boring?

Nafe

While it saddens me personally, the second trailer for the series ended with this message from the director:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcv3fLTlD-k

EkshT.png

So I guess that's good news for some people.

I would be one of those some people. There's probably about 500 shows that exist that have that sort of thing already so we don't really need any more.

[Girls und Panzer] - 2

Still girls riding tanks. Still good. It's about as close are we're going to get how a real robot show operates as well!

Well it looks like I'll have to retract my earlier statements. This episode features fanservice by having a girl in her underwear wash a tank. I guess there is pointless fanservice in this show. I guess it's kind of laughed off because this show is a rather silly comedy in many places. For example, how else would this work:

gup2a.png
gup2b.png

There isn't really a safe way to have real tanks shoot each other with real rounds. After all tanks are tools of war designed to kill other people, and other tanks. If Tankery was a real sport it would be a blood bath. As this show is a wacky comedy that doesn't apply, of course.

Oh yeah, there is someone dressed up in a German uniform, one of the girls is wearing a tank commanders outfit. That's not particularly offensive as it doesn't really make her a Nazi or anything, unless we want to conflate German soldiers/officers with Nazis.

I personally think we also could have done without the girl in the bikini washing a tank.

I forget how it plays out in real time but looking at the composition in the screenshots you've posted here, it looks like they could almost have been pulled out of a dialogue scene in a JRPG that had been released in the last few years.

The using live ammunition is another one of the over the top silly details the show uses but I still think it's lot's of fun.

http://girls-und-panzer.at.webry.info/201211/article_2.html

Bad news for Girls und Panzer fans: Next week they won't be able to broadcast episode 6 because of a production delay. Instead they will be airing episode 5.5 which sounds like a sort of recap special. Because the series is now pushed back by a week, they won't be able to air the final episode on the normal time slot either. They will be announcing more information about the broadcast of the final episode after episode 11 airs. :(

That's really disappointing...

SPOILERS for the first episode of Girls Und Panzer

Looking at the banner at the top of the page reminded me of
the early promotional material such as this picture Here where you can see what I originally thought was just an aircraft carrier to go along with the somewhat military theme of the show. After watching the show an seeing the reveal at the end of the first episode I now know in retrospect it's not just an ordinary carrier. While they never showed the carriers in any of the trailers I suppose that means they actually did hint at it's existence then.

Smile Precure - 03

Don't forget to play rock paper scissors with Yayoi every episode, haha.

fertygo

Medaka Box S2 04

Man, this thing just can't work outside in manga form, too much talking and shit.
No to mention the chara design look fugly despite its almost perfect copy from manga design, I thought the chara design look appealing on the manga n have its charm. But its just not fit for anime, no to mention they not even bothering about the animation
I didn't see any of the new upstarts <200 chps having the potential to last that long, especially in jump.

Toriko will last at least for 350 chapter, Kuroko also have potential to reach 300 chapter.

Its not that unthinkable really for weekly magz (and WSJ isn't the only player in this) hit, if your manga became huge hit and last for 5-7 year, you already have many volume produced.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't think I'd ever want to beat her in rock paper scissors. Making her cry isn't worth it!

Oddly, even though the show pegs her as a crybaby in her introduction, that gets abandoned pretty quickly in favor of her just being a nerd. Works out better that way, as you'll discover over the course of several episodes!

cajunator

Banned
I don't think I'd ever want to beat her in rock paper scissors. Making her cry isn't worth it!

Her cuteness is indeed something to be feared.

but she is ADORABLE when shes crying!
Not that I'd make her cry just because its cute. I'm not THAT much of an asshole.

Jex

[Girls und Panzer]- 3

cityboat.png

Oh yeah, that's another city. As if this show didn't have a strange enough premise it also features giant boats that resemble aircraft carriers, except the literally have huge cities ontop of them. These kind of things only tend to turn up in weird sci-fi shows where all the icecaps have melted and the world is running short on land. I have no idea why they even feature in this show because it's not like they're part of the plot of the show or anything. Weird.

Also, I guess tanks are fun. I just feel bad for these girls and their somewhat weak selection of tanks. They should have got a Jagdpanther to even things out.

jman2050

My Little Monster 5-6

KanaHanaOshima is a lovely addition to the cast.

This show continues to be awesome. Natsume at the end of episode 6 was the best.

Oddly, even though the show pegs her as a crybaby in her introduction, that gets abandoned pretty quickly in favor of her just being a nerd. Works out better that way, as you'll discover over the course of several episodes!

I am not that far into smile yet (backlogged) but from what I've seen in the impressions and gifs here Yayoi nerding out is pretty cute too.

cajunator

Banned
[Girls und Panzer]- 3

cityboat.png

Oh yeah, that's another city. As if this show didn't have a strange enough premise it also features giant boats that resemble aircraft carriers, except the literally have huge cities ontop of them. These kind of things only tend to turn up in weird sci-fi shows where all the icecaps have melted and the world is running short on land. I have no idea why they even feature in this show because it's not like they're part of the plot of the show or anything. Weird.

Also, I guess tanks are fun. I just feel bad for these girls and their somewhat weak selection of tanks. They should have got a Jagdpanther to even things out.

The idea of a cityship is pretty awesome though. Who cares why its there? Its THERE.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I am not that far into smile yet (backlogged) but from what I've seen in the impressions and gifs here Yayoi nerding out is pretty cute too.

There was recently an entire episode devoted to Yayoi nerding out. I think you'll appreciate it if you ever get to it.

smpc35-26ljlw.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

Looking at my schedule I realized if I didn't do it this week, I would never do it. So without further ado, I present.....

School Days 01-02

Oh dear god, where do I even begin? Let's start with the art. I think it's terrible. Backgrounds are static and boring. Character designs are even worse. Itoh looks like he's wearing clothes 3 sizes too big. No one's face ever shows any real emotion. Also, the eyes. Holy hell, the eyes. Why does everyone have thick, black lines under their eyes that make them look like they're suffering from chronic insomnia.

That's not the worst part of the characters, oh no, not by a long shot. They're personalities are some of the most obnoxious, erratic, strange things I've seen in anime. It seems like everyone is behaving opposite of their own personal interests, especially Sekai. Why the hell is getting herself involved in any of this? Main character is unlikeable and real creepy. Super stalker type. Katsura is annoyingly witless and personality-less. It's like they took the airhead love interest to the most extreme extent possible. Background characters are non existent. Kiyoura particularly bothers me, though. She's so freaking creepy. I expect her to just snap at any moment and murder the entire school. Honestly, best possible outcome right there.

That doesn't even begin to address the writing. Holy crap. Let's start with the premise that begins the show. A person who you secretly take a creeper photo of and keep secret for 2 weeks will fall in love with you? That's the most stalkery stalker thing I've seen presented on a show like this. And the characters don't even act like it's at all weird. Dialogue is awful. Characters just expound their feelings out in the open for zero reason. Character motivations are either non-existant or poorly presented. Plot is glacially slow. Cliches are abused as much as possible. Whoever wrote this script should be ashamed.

In conclusion, I hate it and hate you guys more for foisting it upon me

Expect me to write up 2 episodes a day for the rest of the week. Also expect more cursing. I don't think I'll be able to hold it back.

what? character motivation is poorly presented? the motivation of Mankoto is
his penis!

also you're watching of this gives me great entertainment, so thank you :)

wonzo

Banned
Where is that sprite from anyway?
afaik it's just some emoticon from evageeks

http://girls-und-panzer.at.webry.inf...article_2.html

Bad news for Girls und Panzer fans: Next week they won't be able to broadcast episode 6 because of a production delay. Instead they will be airing episode 5.5 which sounds like a sort of recap special. Because the series is now pushed back by a week, they won't be able to air the final episode on the normal time slot either. They will be announcing more information about the broadcast of the final episode after episode 11 airs. :(
moetanks1aa.jpg

He's always seemed like a pro-choice guy.
Demonstrating his point one public toilet at a time.

There was recently an entire episode devoted to Yayoi nerding out. I think you'll appreciate it if you ever get to it.

smpc35-26ljlw.gif

Oh I'll get to it. It is in the kind of backlog where I watch the shows shortly before they end so I have something to marathon and the joy of waiting for the final episodes.

Also that gif is superb.
Who has not felt like this at times?

yami4ct

School Days 03-05

This is a show made by insane people. Or trolls.......Or insane trolls. It's actually starting to become sort of fascinating. It's clear that no one's coming out of this happy. Kind of surprising given the type of show it initially appeared to be. It's by no means any good, but it's still interesting.

cajunator

Banned
School Days 03-05

This is a show made by insane people. Or trolls.......Or insane trolls. It's actually starting to become sort of fascinating. It's clear that no one's coming out of this happy. Kind of surprising given the type of show it initially appeared to be. It's by no means any good, but it's still interesting.

Don't worry, the show drags everyone into even more shit.
Its really quite fascinating.

jman2050

School Days 03-05

The essence of hatewatch

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Smile Precure - 04

Yes!!!!! Another sports-type! :D

Nao was so awesome when she butted in and told those upperclassmen what's what. From what I'm seeing she's cool, reliable, and caring. The perfect prince!

Her ability to cook gives her some bottom points, but I must wait until I see her interactions with Akane before I give out positions in the relationship.

Nao-sama suteki~<3!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Her ability to cook gives her some bottom points, but I must wait until I see her interactions with Akane before I give out positions in the relationship.

Akane works in her parents' okonomiyaki restaurant. They're kind of evenly-matched on the domesticity front, hahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom