• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Ar- Oh my...

iA3sNwccFOcDf.jpg

Oh my...

iSqpc1QnTnZ5I.jpg

Also, http://i.minus.com/ijY1Uf6Fz0dgh.jpg

Yeah sure like we should really believe that one.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You don't understand what the point of the story is? Or you don't understand where it's supposed to be going, if anywhere?
I don't understand what it is that is supposed to make the cast of My Little Monster special, or why this is a story that needs to be focused in on and told.

Stoof

Ga-Rei-Zero 4

Master Michael is fabulous, and I'm really digging this anime now. I like most of the characters and the animation has been consistently pretty good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-ONGAF is basicaly ten to twelve people regurgitating the same memes over and over, spiced with the occasional Chu2shite reviews and the fanart. BrocureGAF could make it.

Re: Ginga: and it's all the better because of it. I actually liked how Tsubasa handled the crowds by rarely focusing on them, and if they did they only showed the same old gang who followed Tsubasa from his early years.
I keep forgetting that K-On GAF is a thing, even though I go there once in a while. lol

And, I guess with Ginga, it's just a bunch of after school games so they wouldn't have any crowds to begin with. I still find it weird that the father has camera footage that is pulled straight from the anime. It makes no sense, considering he's just a dude with a shitty handycam on a tripod.

Rommel? Huh?
The one girl basically wants to be The Desert Fox bro. You have to know your Nazis!

To Love Ru Darkness 5

I think the censors actually make the licking scene worse than it really is. The drool and stuff didn't help, but come on, that could have been straight up cunnilingus for all we know.

I never watched the OVAs, so this is the first time I'm hearing Riko's voice. It isn't bad.

CMy7U.jpg

Beam of the week.

Syrinx

Poyopoyo 1

Are these like, animated shorts or something?

Not sure this is what I'm looking for. Art is really weird. Cute cat, though.

Space Bros 30

Amazing.
This show is magical.
I think the previous ED would have worked better at the end of this episode. It would have been absolutely perfect I think.
Also, one little mistake with the episode. It showed bad weather over Houston, when the rocket and any spacebound craft takes off from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral in Florida.

This episode was pretty masterful in its execution, but yeah the 2nd ED would have made it perfect. Absolutely love that song.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I keep forgetting that K-On GAF is a thing, even though I go there once in a while. lol

And, I guess with Ginga, it's just a bunch of after school games so they wouldn't have any crowds to begin with. I still find it weird that the father has camera footage that is pulled straight from the anime. It makes no sense, considering he's just a dude with a shitty handycam on a tripod.
The animation budget is so scarce they can't afford to animate the same scene from different angles.

Speaking of Space bros.

Can someone explain to me that rope knot on the fence thing they keep going back to in the last eps?

I feel like an idiot not getting the metaphor :/

Smile Precure - 06

Man, Reika is classy as hell. That noble air about her only fits with a Precure known as Beauty.

Oh, and found my secondary pairing!

Aren't you doing a precure overdose ? i know this is a fun anime ( i'm a fan myself ) but suite + smile in a row ? i hope you don't suffer of an overdose

Uchip

Banned
no seriously why the fuck is he wearing his cap backwards like it's the nineties

iirc, im pretty sure that became a thing when someone turned their hat sideways during a dance battle in the 80s and people were like "hey thats kind of cool"
jojo is just that cool

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Aren't you doing a precure overdose ? i know this is a fun anime ( i'm a fan myself ) but suite + smile in a row ? i hope you don't suffer of an overdose

I'm not worried about SDBurton unless he gets to the point where he can down the bad stuff like Yes 5 at such a high rate.

Syrinx

Teekyu 1

I'm not sure if PoyoPoyo was what I was looking for. I KNOW this isn't what I'm looking for. Are these girls on crystal meth or something? They talk and do things so goddamn fast. Also, that girl's hair is obnoxiously pink.

Kingdom 23

Backstory of ritual of a survival tournament to determine the next head of clan felt like something out of some other recent story but was pretty powerful. Good episode for development of Lei and even some insight into Diao.

Also got more stuff
tumblr_md1j5nMlmg1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Haha! While I did enjoy Suite I'm really having a blast with Smile so I don't feel fatigued at all.

I'm not worried about SDBurton unless he gets to the point where he can down the bad stuff like Yes 5 at such a high rate.

I'll need your support when I get to that one. :lol

And don't forget DAT OP!

Thoraxes knows what's up!

ED is still better.

While the ED is great, it's no where near as good as the OP.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kingdom 23

Backstory of ritual of a survival tournament to determine the next head of clan felt like something out of some other recent story but was pretty powerful. Good episode for development of Lei and even some insight into Diao.

Also got more stuff
tumblr_md1j5nMlmg1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

Vitabro!

(darkside31337 if you want to be my friend. go buy ragnarok)

Also Horizon, neat. Didn't even know that had a US release <_<

Haha! While I did enjoy Suite I'm really having a blast with Smile so I don't feel fatigued at all.
Fair enough
I'll need your support when I get to that one. :lol

Please don't ..watch splash star or heart catch before going toward "YES!Precure" ..[it's not a word of advice , more a warning ]

Oh just reminding you that there a suite precure movie ( each precuse saga has at least one movie )

Syrinx

Random question completely out of curiosity: Those of you who watch a lot of obscure anime, do you import this stuff yourself? Do you buy them from an import shop near you? Or are there other (legal) streaming services I'm not aware of?

cajunator

Banned
I insult all of you fuckers in English all the time and you never say crap!

Thats because we all like to take it. We're masochists you know.

Alright Anime-GAF, I'm agitated, stressed, and exhausted. Lay some happy anime recommendations on me.

Potemayo
Galaxy angel
Poyo Poyo
Acchi Kocchi
Hanamaru Kindergarten
Or if you REALLY want to test your threshold for cute watch Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety

Smile Precure - 06

Man, Reika is classy as hell. That noble air about her only fits with a Precure known as Beauty.

Oh, and found my secondary pairing!

QRPSx.gif

Its kind of unusual for a show to introduce all the magical girls in the first 6 episodes of a long series but I guess Precure wasnt going to mess around with introductions.

Random question completely out of curiosity: Those of you who watch a lot of obscure anime, do you import this stuff yourself? Do you buy them from an import shop near you? Or are there other (legal) streaming services I'm not aware of?
70% of my anime collection is imported 30% is the easy stuff to collect ( france has a lot of shops ).. i don't stream anime .. well more like i can't even if i wanted to

Its kind of unusual for a show to introduce all the magical girls in the first 6 episodes of a long series but I guess Precure wasnt going to mess around with introductions.

not that unusual actually
Precure,Precure max heart , splash star , yes precure have done the same ..it's something they stopped doing ( heart catch,fresh, suite have a cast that increase over time ) but they get back to their roots for smile

Jarmel

Banned
Planetes- fin

Well I burned through this over the past week. My overall impressions are relatively positive although with a few big caveats that really bring the show down for me and makes for an uneven viewing experience.

I definitely liked the visuals and the amount of detail in thing like the space suits. It reminds me of the stuff in Gunbuster although not nearly as pretty at times. I was also impressed with how fluid the movements were in space and it helped capture the weightlessness of the environment in a very effective manner. My understanding is that the cel count would jump on purpose in order to convey exactly that and I would say it paid off in spades. That said, I had some issues with some of the character animations at times as it could be a little inconsistent. I also wasn't really impressed with the fighting sequences and they felt kinda lifeless albeit better than Jormungand. Music-wise I thought it was okay until I heard the Hitomi stuff. That really made the later stuff especially the epilogue. I guess Taniguchi already had a working relationship with her when Code Geass rolled around.

I really had two core issues with the show. I'm excluding garbage like the Space Ninjas because while they were annoying wastes of time, they only lasted an episode and a minute afterwards. I did hate the hell out of them though and they were a horrible misfit into the show that I was wondering what on Earth the writers were thinking putting ninjas into the show.

-Hoshino and Tanabe
Hoshino was a straight up asshole in the later half. He always was a bit of a dick but later on he just goes completely off the balancing board and really is a douchebag. I can understand the general message in regards to him,
pursue your dreams no matter what
however there are ways of going about it without being an asshat. He really became unlikable later and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to root for him or hope he would fail and learn something. He felt unnecessarily confrontational and a lot of the emotional moments later left me dry as I wanted to see him suffer due to his own damn consequences. Then there is Tanabe. People bitch about Akane in Psycho-Pass being annoying but let me tell you, I find Akane enjoyable compared to the self-righteous and beyond naive Tanabe. Not only is she amazingly single-minded but she sounds like a retarded child who never learned how to grow up. I swear to god if I never have to hear the word love again, it would be too soon. She easily was the most annoying character on the show. Not only that, she really doesn't go through a character arc like Hoshino does. There is also the cop-out ending that saved both their asses where the writers wanted to have their cake and eat it too. It painfully reminded me of the ending of season 1 of Homeland where they wanted the payoff moment but didn't want the consequences stemming from that and so wrote around it by having sheer luck/coincidence.

-The whole terrorist arc
This was a real mess. Not only are there tons of illogical moments such as a
terrorist escaping from a spaceship(or even the ridiculous number of terrorists that were able to board these locations in the first place) or that the fact that nobody was watching Claire's apartment.
It is ridiculously on the nose with the whole 'third world countries vs. space development' thing they were discussing throughout the show. They turned what is still a very grey and morally complicated issue into something that is fairly black and white and felt added in purely so the show could go out with a bang. I mean instead of having an adult conversation about it, they turned it into a big shootfest. It also ruined the much superior Selection arc just prior as well, adding to my distaste. Not to mention it wasn't really exciting in of itself and parts felt pretty lifeless.

That said, I liked a good chunk of the show especially the side-characters who really got fleshed out and each felt they had their own personal and interesting story and development. That's something the show truly excelled in. Also while I wasn't a fan of Hoshino or Tanabe as individual characters, I did enjoy watching their relationship and romance develop.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Smile Precure - 06

orQg7.png
vL8tI.png

LKjJQ.png
iz9Ve.png

Miyuki's facial expression... :lol

With a clear goal established the girls now know what to do!

We also got a brief introduction to a new enemy called Joker, who obviously will play a bigger part in the story than the 3 lackeys the girls have been beating so far.

Highlight of the episode was Miyuki's determination to come up with a team pose and her reaction when she finally got one.

I prefer it like this, that way we won't be strung along for countless episodes waiting for that "new girl" to show up. Suite tried that and not only did it make the episodes that came before it dull, but barely gave us any time to give a damn about the new girl when she arrived (referring to
Ako
). Even if they do decide to go that route again with Smile they at least have 5 girls to shift the attention on and off to keep things somewhat interesting.

Ultimadrago

One Outs 19-25 [END]

logoa1j1j.png

Man, was this last arc was the best of them. I'm glad they saved the strongest and most formidable for last. It's a given for it to pan out that way, but it's surprising how many times finale sports arcs/challenges can be easily trumped by past ones in a series. On topic of the final team, one has never seen a more eeeeeevil baseball team in their lives than the final opponents for Toukuchi. It works fine for sports shounen, but man, these guys were mean!

The first couple arcs aren't too special, but it makes the escalation up to the finale set itself up fairly well. Heck, the finale arc was the only one where (Minor spoilers)
the rival team antagonist is given a back story
. This scene is not the most touching nor original, but it successfully mixes up the unadultered ball game forumula used for all the past arcs. It, in a way, makes the character insight all the more special due to the unusual lack of it throughout the running.

Overall, One Outs was a sports thriller I enjoyed to a fair degree. However, I say this with some reservations. The visuals aren't too great: the grass texture is pretty ugly, little animation that fully took advantage of baseball moves, visual direction largely stayed in its comfort zone, locations are standard to the point of bland, the digital backdrop for realizations and shocked reactions are overused far too much and the characters were given more than enough time to share interesting dialogue with a true gambling man.

On the other hand, some of the reaction faces were excellent and brought for some hearty laughs during the tense games (the owner's angry tears being one of the major contributors). Visually, these outbursts were mostly constructed with heavier shading around the face and close-up/quick pans (you know, the classics). Toua's strategies were pleasant to witness put into action (and the inevtiable "Ooos and Aaahs" he received from his teammates after fruition).

I would imagine one's enjoyment (and disbelief) would be amplified if they were very familiar with or fond of baseball. I don't fall under this tree, but I appreciated what this show accomplished and it was a stronger work than some other, more average, sports anime I've seen in my career. It has a number of flaws in regards to its genre and generally, but in the end is a solid experience about a devil who keeps his promises and pays his debts.

Showing that you have a vita means you are obligated to friend me now.

DakkuMaujii

finally Dakku's on my friendlist :D

Vitabro!

(darkside31337 if you want to be my friend. go buy ragnarok)

Also Horizon, neat. Didn't even know that had a US release <_<

Added, mines eatdeath

I hope they did the eng dub good for it, will watch soon.

My Little Monster 6
tumblr_md1gyaKYhr1rveg74o1_500.gif

The way he took his glasses off, best scene this episode. How in the world is Shizuku not head over heels for him every episode, she doesnt know what shes missing.

I liked the first half of the episode while the second half felt well like it went litrally nowhere. Shizuku actually said my favorite line in romance manga, well at least in the bl/yaoi's I read
when characters describe that feeling in their chest where they start hurting just thinking about the other person, a shame Haru misinterpreted but thankfully megane understood, although Im not a fan of hetero romances, I think it was really well done of a scene and I hope for more

Joe Molotov

I prefer it like this, that way we won't be strung along for countless episodes waiting for that "new girl" to show up. Suite tried that and not only did it make the episodes that came before it dull, but barely gave us any time to give a damn about the new girl when she arrived (referring to
Ako
). Even if they do decide to go that route again with Smile they at least have 5 girls to shift the attention on and off to keep things somewhat interesting.

Once the introductions are over, the shipping can begin!

BTW, I've been loving Smile PreCure. It's the perfect show for when you're beat down by the day, and you just want to unwind and watch something makes you feel good. ^_^ I've just been watching one episode a day, but I'm almost caught up.

Thoraxes

Planetes- fin

Good job man. Also, what did you think of the world-building elements of the show? They said they did a lot of research to try to make this show's version of the future a more grounded reality as far their setting went, and personally I thought they handled it well, and for me I never had to shake my head in disbelief... minus the ninjas of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom