• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Once the introductions are over, the shipping can begin!

IQwHo.gif

Let it begin!

Did you appreciate the part immediately afterward when
they got a missile to the face
?

Haha I was like "that sucker punching [censored]!"

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ICE

So Hito told me to watch it and so I did. This was in response to me saying we need a truly awful anime to recommend. If this was meant to leave me with my knickers in a twist then it truly failed. I can only describe it as mundane and non-sensical.
Just goes to show that not everyone will be affected in the same way. Personally, I felt extremely trolled at the end.

Lain

From the New World 6

Luckily this wasn't like episode 5. It looked good enough and the direction seemed fine for the most part. The opportunity to get Satoru
his power back
was ingenious and I liked what it brought to the episode, though I wonder how they'll get out of that situation now.
I also wonder if the next episode will keep the focus on Saki/Satoru or if the others will be shown.

Smile Precure - 06

With a clear goal established the girls now know what to do!

We also got a brief introduction to a new enemy called Joker, who obviously will play a bigger part in the story than the 3 lackeys the girls have been beating so far.

Highlight of the episode was Miyuki's determination to come up with a team pose and her reaction when she finally got one.

I prefer it like this, that way we won't be strung along for countless episodes waiting for that "new girl" to show up. Suite tried that and not only did it make the episodes that came before it dull, but barely gave us any time to give a damn about the new girl when she arrived (referring to
Ako
). Even if they do decide to go that route again with Smile they at least have 5 girls to shift the attention on and off to keep things somewhat interesting.

ibkc8kb97ahFig.gif

loved that eps.

wonzo

Banned
My Little Monster 6

Hmm, is it just me or did this episode feature more "quality" than usual? Either way this was still a pretty damn funny episode, especially the scene with Oshima just venting it all out.

tonari6a.jpg

Foolworm

So, apparently Gothicmade debuted over the weekend. Of course, it's
The Five Star Stories: Side Story

Initial reviews note that the animation is a bit wonky and that there are a dearth of battle scenes, but it basically is a one-man project; what did they expect?

I really hope FSS reserializes soon, although I don't see Designs 4 coming out before 2014. ORZ

yami4ct

School Days 06

This is getting hard to watch. Makoto has gone from just unlikeable to one of the most despicable human beings ever put to screen. I feel terrible seeing how he treats these girls. He clearly doesn't care about anyone's feelings. I mean, sure Sekai is at huge fault as well, but at least she feels guilty. He's just an empty black hole. The only acceptable end to this is for him to die miserably.

Oh god, I'm actually starting to care. Something is going really wrong here.

School Days 06

This is getting hard to watch. Makoto has gone from just unlikeable to one of the most despicable human beings ever put to screen. I feel terrible seeing how he treats these girls. He clearly doesn't care about anyone's feelings. I mean, sure Sekai is at huge fault as well, but at least she feels guilty. He's just an empty black hole. The only acceptable end to this is for him to die miserably.

iwud262XzQfJ1.gif

Syrinx

School Days 06

Ah, School Days 6. I remember writing my impressions for this one with high blood pressure and a furrowed brow. Basically came to the exact same conclusions as you, except I was also pretty annoyed at Kotonoha for her
"I love you, Makoto! Even if you are cheating on me." shit at the end.
It irked me. But fucking Makoto...man.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
School Days 06

This is beautiful.

trejo

Just compare yami4ct's reactions to School Days to Hitokage's. It really goes to show the stark difference between an unblemished rookie and a hardened veteran.

Soma

I thought that was the Kirito's Sister xKirito x Asuna love triangle.

AnimeGAF's "Greatest Love Story Ever Told" changes all the time.

One day it's Toradora, the next day it's Dennou Coil, the next day it'll be Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki

SDBurton

School Days 06

Amazing.

jbug617

Banned
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 6

The stars of the episode for me was Natsume and Haru. I liked the scene with
Haru and Ooshima at lunch. He was so blunt with her and he couldn't tell what his words were doing to her.
Also Natsume animated ways show well this episode. There are sometimes I think they go overboard with it.

yami4ct

School Days 07

Mokoto's misery black hole has reached critical mass. It's now sucking in innocents around him. There must really be something in the water at the school. It seems a good portion of the students are almost as horrible of people as Mokoto. I mean, they seem to blame Kotonoha for the whole situation even though she's the biggest victim here. In the end, I think we can all agree Setsuna is the real hero of the show. Only person who's sane enough to actually try to diffuse the situation. I feel bad I thought she was a psychopath just waiting to kill everyone. That may still be the case, but it'd be completely justified at this point.

The show itself has become a black hole as well. I've crossed the even horizon. There's no turning back. The only option is to marathon the last 5 episodes. Look for me to give a status check-in every couple episodes to confirm I'm not dead or when something particularly notable happens I feel the need to commentate on.

School Days 07

Mokoto's misery black hole has reached critical mass. It's now sucking in innocents around him. There must really be something in the water at the school. It seems a good portion of the students are almost as horrible of people as Mokoto. I mean, they seem to blame Kotonoha for the whole situation even though she's the biggest victim here. In the end, I think we can all agree Setsuna is the real hero of the show. Only person who's sane enough to actually try to diffuse the situation. I feel bad I thought she was a psychopath just waiting to kill everyone. That may still be the case, but it'd be completely justified at this point.

The show itself has become a black hole as well. I've crossed the even horizon. There's no turning back. The only option is to marathon the last 5 episodes. Look for me to give a status check-in every couple episodes to confirm I'm not dead or when something particularly notable happens I feel the need to commentate on.
This is how you do it, ladies and gentlemen.

cajunator

Banned
School Days 07

You're doing it RIGHT!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
One Outs 19-25 [END]
I would imagine one's enjoyment (and disbelief) would be amplified if they were very familiar with or fond of baseball. I don't fall under this tree, but I appreciated what this show accomplished and it was a stronger work than some other, more average, sports anime I've seen in my career. It has a number of flaws in regards to its genre and generally, but in the end is a solid experience about a devil who keeps his promises and pays his debts.

I am a baseball junkie and can honestly say that my love for the sport made me think -less- of the anime. The shit that goes on in that series so utterly ridiculous and preposterous that it borders on offensive. Nobody dominates with that kind of subpar stuff even in the NPB. It's like Oofuri but cranked up tenfold on the dial of craziness because this isn't high school ball, its supposed to be some actual major league ball (I guess its NPB).

Still an enjoyable show. It wasn't utterly confusing like Akagi (because I know nothing about mahjong) but it wasn't quite as good as Kaiji.

wonzo

Banned
Also got more stuff
tumblr_md1j5nMlmg1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg
add me yo (psn: wonzo)

School Days 07

godspeed

Ultimadrago

I am a baseball junkie and can honestly say that my love for the sport made me think -less- of the anime. The shit that goes on in that series so utterly ridiculous and preposterous that it borders on offensive. Nobody dominates with that kind of subpar stuff even in the NPB. It's like Oofuri but cranked up tenfold on the dial of craziness because this isn't high school ball, its supposed to be some actual major league ball (I guess its NPB).

Still an enjoyable show. It wasn't utterly confusing like Akagi (because I know nothing about mahjong) but it wasn't quite as good as Kaiji.

I could definitely imagine this as a possible outcome (I originally typed "or disapproving disbelief", but didn't think any baseball fans would actually be reading!). Funny thing is that since it was recommended to me as a sports shounen, I thought it wasn't ridiculous enough! (at least in terms of complimenting visuals, a.k.a. Super Ultra Mega Moves) In any case, it's understandable and could possibly come off as more frustrating since One Outs seems to make some attempt to keep its "reality" while going for the "crazy moves."

On that note, I will be watching Kaiji soon, as it seems One Outs shared a number of staff members. Hopefully, I will find it improved on some of the flaws One Outs had as a gambling/mental games anime.

After a week without power I half expected you guys to be on OT4 by now, how disappointing. And now I have a week's worth of anime to catch up on and no time to do it....

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Little Busters 01
Well that was some anime ass anime. And I mean that in the worst way possible. F out of 100.

Btooom! 5

This is still a show that I like. Not much else to say.

I wonder where this is going to end. Probably the fight with
Masashi.
That's a good stopping point if it's only 1 cour. Of course there won't really be much closure if that is where it ends.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The animation budget is so scarce they can't afford to animate the same scene from different angles.
That's fair. It just breaks my suspension of disbelief anyway.

Planetes- fin

-Hoshino and Tanabe
Hoshino was a straight up asshole in the later half. He always was a bit of a dick but later on he just goes completely off the balancing board and really is a douchebag. I can understand the general message in regards to him,
pursue your dreams no matter what
however there are ways of going about it without being an asshat. He really became unlikable later and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to root for him or hope he would fail and learn something. He felt unnecessarily confrontational and a lot of the emotional moments later left me dry as I wanted to see him suffer due to his own damn consequences. Then there is Tanabe. People bitch about Akane in Psycho-Pass being annoying but let me tell you, I find Akane enjoyable compared to the self-righteous and beyond naive Tanabe. Not only is she amazingly single-minded but she sounds like a retarded child who never learned how to grow up. I swear to god if I never have to hear the word love again, it would be too soon. She easily was the most annoying character on the show. Not only that, she really doesn't go through a character arc like Hoshino does. There is also the cop-out ending that saved both their asses where the writers wanted to have their cake and eat it too. It painfully reminded me of the ending of season 1 of Homeland where they wanted the payoff moment but didn't want the consequences stemming from that and so wrote around it by having sheer luck/coincidence.
Even her name is Ai! :p

The whole idea was that they were two extremes that had to come together. It's been so long that I don't being annoyed by their relationship, but I do like what happens to Tanabe at the end in terms of the whole space suit oxygen thing. Yeah, it ends up being a cop out, but there was no way this was going to have a grimdark ending... especially with the moon girl.

-The whole terrorist arc
This was a real mess. Not only are there tons of illogical moments such as a
terrorist escaping from a spaceship(or even the ridiculous number of terrorists that were able to board these locations in the first place) or that the fact that nobody was watching Claire's apartment.
It is ridiculously on the nose with the whole 'third world countries vs. space development' thing they were discussing throughout the show. They turned what is still a very grey and morally complicated issue into something that is fairly black and white and felt added in purely so the show could go out with a bang. I mean instead of having an adult conversation about it, they turned it into a big shootfest. It also ruined the much superior Selection arc just prior as well, adding to my distaste. Not to mention it wasn't really exciting in of itself and parts felt pretty lifeless.

And speaking of which, I thought moon girl ending the conflict was a nice way to finish off that arc. Maybe I was less cynical at the time, and sure it was so obvious that it hurt, but the idea of someone who simply doesn't understand the concept of "nations" is so very Star Trek that it took me back to a time when SyFy was very simple in its morality.

Man, I need to get a Nyanko plushie at some point...

SDBurton

School Days 07

GioFb.gif

==================

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - 06

Natsume really came out in this episode, whether it was helping out class rep girl or being concerned for Shizu. Speaking of class rep girl, wow is she cute!

http://i.imgur.com/b8Sdb.png - New ship.

yami4ct

School Days 08-09

Oh boy, this misery train keeps on a rollin'. Even after it looked liked things were moving up. I mean, Mokoto was actually acting like a decent human being for like 2/3 of episode 8. The idiocy bug has even claimed out great heroine, Setsuna. Seriously, I cannot believe.
she actually succumbed to stupidity and kissed Mr. black hole.
My jaw almost dropped after that. 9 was more Mokoto being awful. Clearly someone is going to either kill themselves, kill someone else, or there will be a murder/suicide. The way this is going, there is no doubt of this. In the end, 99% of 8 and like 1/2 of 9 was filler. Seems we're building to something extravagantly awful soon. I dread it.

Syrinx

School Days 08-09

Oh boy, this misery train keeps on a rollin'. Even after it looked liked things were moving up. I mean, Mokoto was actually acting like a decent human being for like 2/3 of episode 8. The idiocy bug has even claimed out great heroine, Setsuna. Seriously, I cannot believe.
My jaw almost dropped after that. 9 was more Mokoto being awful. Clearly someone is going to either kill themselves, kill someone else, or there will be a murder/suicide. The way this is going, there is no doubt of this. In the end, 99% of 8 and like 1/2 of 9 was filler. Seems we're building to something extravagantly awful soon. I dread it.

Keep on truckin'. I was getting worried about you there for a while.

Edit: Just realized that this is the first time I've watched someone suffer through School Days (suffer, not watch) since I posted my impressions. I see why you guys get such a kick out of it. Too bad I'll have to hit the hay before he finishes.

Tonari no Kaibutsu Ep. 6

This show is really something.....Just amazing....It cares so much about what its doing.

I haven't liked a cast this much since playing through Persona 4 the first time.

SDBurton

School Days 08-09

Okay I gotta bring this up because I never see it mentioned when people do impressions around this area:
Wasn't it around episode 8-9 that the bonfire dance took place, which was also the time that Kotonoha was raped by Makoto's friend Taisuke?

Just checked:
It is. Do people avoid this little tidbit on purpose or what? I thought that was a fairly important scene that caused her to enter her fucked up state. That was a definite "Oh shit" factor in my book, so seeing every person as of late skipping over this somewhat important detail just kinda shocks me.

Syrinx

Okay I gotta bring this up because I never see it mentioned when people do impressions around this area:
Wasn't it around episode 8-9 that the bonfire dance took place, which was also the time that Kotonoha was raped by Makoto's friend Taisuke?

Just checked:
It is. Do people avoid this little tidbit on purpose or what? I thought that was a fairly important scene that caused her to enter her fucked up state. That was a definite "Oh shit" factor in my book, so seeing every person as of late skipping over this somewhat important detail just kinda shocks me.

Umm...
I didn't think that he raped her. I remember raging after that episode that I thought that a relationship between them would be the shows tool to have Makoto weasel out of his two-timing scumbag ways. Are you sure there was rape involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom