• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Teekyuu - 03

GkLdT.png
IeNJ4.png

fzag9.png
tMUxz.png

3039458_o.gif

wonzo

Banned
A lot of official subs do look like shit, though. The yellow font has a sort of nostalgic appeal, but really it just looks ugly.
Yellow font harks back to the VHS days where it was used for readability's sake keeping in mind that the tape would degrade over time. I honestly prefer Yellow w/ Black outlines compared to White w/ Black for DVD's.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Teekyuu 1-3:

Frankly I have no idea what I just watched, but I love it! It's fast, frantic, and yuri! YES! :D

Narag

Yellow font harks back to the VHS days where it was used for both readability's sake keeping in mind that the tape would degrade over time. I honestly prefer Yellow w/ Black outlines compared to White w/ Black for DVD's.

Never knew that. I'm with you though about preferring the yellow subs though. Readability is like some forgotten art.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure! 36:

In this episode, Akane teaches an English exchange student about the wonders of Japan, like:

Japan's most revered traditional cuisine, WcDonald's food.

And creatures indigenous to the country, like the majestic elephant.

It was tottemo sugoi episode, and sono saigo no scene made ore shed many, many namida. Ore no kokoro is shattered into chiisana pieces. It's hen na to hear nihonjin pretend to be igirisujin speaking warui nihongo. Akane is sugoku kawaii when she tries eigo o hanasu.

Next week is going to be the awesomest of the awesome. Also, we had a WTF TOEI moment this week. Compare:

OP

this episode

And it was a shot that lasted about TWO SECONDS. And they even redid her hair and changed the lighting!

Yellow font harks back to the VHS days where it was used for readability's sake keeping in mind that the tape would degrade over time. I honestly prefer Yellow w/ Black outlines compared to White w/ Black for DVD's.
Hence the nostalgic appeal. These days though, the yellow font just looks garish to me.

I watch most of my DVDs on my laptop, though, so maybe readability would be more of an issue if the screen was more than a foot away from my face.

OceanBlue

Never knew that. I'm with you though about preferring the yellow subs though. Readability is like some forgotten art.

I'm pretty sure yellow and black are supposed to be easier on the eyes and less distracting than white and black, but there's probably a stigma against it so companies can't really use it without looking too cheap.

rpmurphy

Hanamaru Youchien 2

Besides the wierd bit about one of the girls wanting to marry the teacher, this show is pretty normal kids doing kid things. Which in it's self is kind of a thing a kid would do anyways. It's the girl's mom that needs to be watched out for.
Are there any redeeming points to this show? I couldn't last 10 minutes of the first episodes due to the absurd plot setup and the introduced characters up to that point.

cajunator

Banned
I'm pretty sure yellow and black are supposed to be easier on the eyes and less distracting than white and black, but there's probably a stigma against it so companies can't really use it without looking too cheap.

The subs on the Fate Zero blurays are a really clear crisp white.
Most of them are the cheap fuzzy yellow though.

OceanBlue

The subs on the Fate Zero blurays are a really clear crisp white.
Most of them are the cheap fuzzy yellow though.

Yeah, I think BDs are moving subtitles towards that type of crisp, white font. I don't have a TV so I can't really judge. Do you like one over the other?

Narag

I will never find anybody with 80% compatibility. I wonder what series is dragging me down with everybody :(

Taking a look I'd say:

Gunbuster
Hyouka
Thought you used to have G Gundam on there but that'd drag it down further!

Not judging here either, just seems like popular shows you have a vastly different opinion on. Rating partial & dropped series probably skews it too.

Are there any redeeming points to this show? I couldn't last 10 minutes of the first episodes due to the absurd plot setup and the introduced characters up to that point.

I don't find it all that absurd, but if you didn't like it then, you probably wouldn't like it at all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've just realized that I don't score most of the anime that I drop. I wonder how it would affect my compatibility with everyone if I went ahead and scored all of those.

I will never find anybody with 80% compatibility. I wonder what series is dragging me down with everybody :(

Just in my case, the anime that we disagree extremely strongly on (which I'm calling variation in score of 4 or more) are:

Evangelion
Fractale
Gundam 00 S2
Hayate no Gotoku
Mawaru Penguindrum
Sankarea
Soukyuu no Fafner
Trinity Blood
Tytania

Don't know how many of these match up with the big score variances that you may have on individual series with other people, but these were my results just in case you were curious.

Emitan

wonzo

Banned
Smile PreCure! 36

smileprecure36.jpg

It probably wasn't the best idea to watch this episode right after Spase Bres as I think I've overdosed on gratuitous English.

Hence the nostalgic appeal. These days though, the yellow font just looks garish to me.

I watch most of my DVDs on my laptop, though, so maybe readability would be more of an issue if the screen was more than a foot away from my face.
It's pretty much exactly that. You have to keep in mind that they have to factor in things like the size of the screen, the distance from the screen and overscan when typesetting the official DVD's. It's less of an issue with Blu-Ray where you're dealing with both far greater resolutions and bigger TV sizes on average but Yellow text would still be far more preferable for readability sake outside of that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yellow text is kinda gross, tbh, but it's not that bad. I understand why it's used anyways.

I much prefer white with thick dark borders.

Looking through all these MAL lists, it seems most here rate Mysterious Girlfriend X the same for the most part. It's like the one show I usually have in common with people anyways...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 093

Even if it was always on his mind,
Reuenthal's reluctance to go into arms against the Kaiser is described as a very sad affair for him. The assassination attempt on Reinhard comes across as extremely shameless; a man of Reuenthal's moral and military status wouldn't have ever taken such shady measures for seizing power. Ifs and buts at this point.

That does not stop Reuenthal from sentencing Truniht to jail no basis whatsoever. Sure, he was always a dick and the lowest of scum, but he hasn't done anything that goes against Neue Land's laws. In that act we see where Reuenthal and Lohengramm's dynasties differ, as the latter would have upheld the law over his feelings on the man. Julian further comments on how Reuenthal's ruling methods do not necessarily make him a bad governor, and indeed ponders whether he would have led the Empire through more peaceful times had he been born in another era.

What's more interesting here is Reuenthal's offer to Iserlohn: all of the former Alliance territories in exchange for the protection of the Iserlohn Corridor. Reuenthal's ambitions are clearly less expansive as the Kaiser's, and indeed he is not against reversing the flow of history for his own purposes. Will Julian, on the other hand, accept such a compromise? It would mean undoing everything that's been done by Reinhard and by Yang. The only distinction from the political map at the beginning of the show would be the lack of a Phezzan acting as an intermediary. And, I guess, the nobles are not there so that's cool shiznitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom