• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojo 5

This episode was awesome and fun, but the low budget and lack of animation are glaring enough to be distracting at times. They can only hide so much of it behind the style of the show.

Articalys

Weekly Sales for October 29 - November 4:

Blu-ray
*1, 3,686 33,443 Strike Witches The Movie Limited Edition
*2, 3,055 *3,055 AKB0048 vol.5
*3, 2,608 *2,608 Campione!: Matsurowanu Kamigami to Kamigoroshi no Maou vol.2 Limited Edition
*4, 2,474 29,800 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition
*5, 2,248 20,281 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II vol.2 Limited Edition
*6, 2,101 11,277 Kuroko no Basket vol.4
*7, 1,705 *1,705 Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Finale vol.3 Limited Edition
*8, 1,593 *8,170 Hyouka vol.5 Limited Edition
*9, 1,071 *4,140 Macross 7 Blu-ray Box vol.1
10, *,763 **,763 Sengoku Collection vol.7

DVD
*1, 2,597 *,*13,469 Kuroko no Basket vol.4
*2, 2,268 *,**2,268 Inazuma Eleven DVD Box vol.3
*3, 1,537 *,**1,537 Sengoku Collection vol.7
*4, 1,413 *,**1,413 Sengoku Collection vol.8
*5, 1,214 *,**4,923 New Prince of Tennis vol.4
*6, 1,048 *,**1,048 Campione!: Matsurowanu Kamigami to Kamigoroshi no Maou vol.2 Limited Edition
*7, *,999 *,**7,843 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition
*9, *,948 *,***,948 AKB0048 vol.5
10, *,870 *,**5,097 Strike Witches The Movie Limited Edition
13, *,754 *,**2,318 Momo e no Tegami
14, *,660 *,***,660 Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Finale vol.3 Limited Edition
16, *,596 1,164,512 Tonari no Totoro
20, *,521 *,**3,784 Hakuouki Reimeiroku vol.2 Limited Edition
24, *,412 *,**1,043 Magic Kaito vol.1
25, *,408 *,**2,123 Arcana Famiglia vol.2 Limited Edition
29, *,351 *,***,891 Magic Kaito vol.2
30, *,332 *,**1,350 Hyouka vol.5 Limited Edition

Single CD
*8, *,*11,108 *,*11,108 Little Busters! "Little Busters!" "Alicemagic"
12, *,**8,853 *,*46,924 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari "Hikari Furu"
13, *,**8,772 *,*63,331 Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse "Go to the top"
15, *,**8,362 *,**8,362 Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Second "Artist"
21, *,**5,359 *,**5,359 Naruto: Shippuuden "Mother"
22, *,**5,238 *,*66,872 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari "Luminous"
23, *,**4,975 *,**4,975 Gintama' Enchousen "Let's Go Out"
27, *,**4,420 *,*17,591 Macross FB7: Ginga Rukon - Ore no Uta wo Kike! "Nyan Nyan Fire!! ~Totsugeki Planet Exposion" "Virgin Story"
29, *,**4,104 *,*15,410 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! "Sparkling Daydream"
44, *,**1,926 *,**6,586 K "Kings"
45, *,**1,914 *,*11,017 Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne "Self Producer"
46, *,**1,872 *,*13,704 Zetsuen no Tempest "happy endings"
50, *,**1,663 *,**1,663 Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne "Life-ru is Love-ru!!"

No real change in the Temporal (first volumes BD+DVD) rankings except for another 3.5k copies of SAO and Kokoro Connect entering in 15th place (below Nakaimo but above Hagure Yuusha).

From the New World 6

I was feeling pretty good about this episode. Then they left the cave and we got those really horrible action sequences. I found the experimental approach taken in episode 5 effective in parts, but here it was just plain poor direction. No impact to the action, no physicality, no rhythm. And a lot of CG that looked like it dropped in from another universe.

BluWacky

Did people even buy Letter to Momo BD?

Hmmm, it seems not. It's perhaps worth noting that both the DVD and the limited BluRay are out of stock on Amazon already, with the normal BluRay on backorder - but it still seems to be something of a sales flop.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just goes to show that not everyone will be affected in the same way. Personally, I felt extremely trolled at the end.
Well I've said many times not to expect a good ending from anime and seeing as the journey wasn't much cop logic dictates that the ending would be bad. I guess if you were expecting yuri sex then it was a troll ending.

School Days 07

There must really be something in the water at the school.
HA HA HA. I said the exact same thing.

Okay I gotta bring this up because I never see it mentioned when people do impressions around this area:
Wasn't it around episode 8-9 that the bonfire dance took place, which was also the time that Kotonoha was raped by Makoto's friend Taisuke?
While I didn't see it as
rape rape
, I did mention it in my conclusion.

Best bud: You can't blame him for being oblivious to a one sided love. I do give him negative points for taking advantage of a distraught girl, but after that he is crushed and then never seen again. Injustice.
I guess just saying he took advantage didn't paint it in enough negative light, but his action the next day made it seem he thought everything was a ok.

Just checked:
It is. Do people avoid this little tidbit on purpose or what? I thought that was a fairly important scene that caused her to enter her fucked up state. That was a definite "Oh shit" factor in my book, so seeing every person as of late skipping over this somewhat important detail just kinda shocks me.
I tried to not just reiterate the events in my reviews (the people interested have already seen the show so they don't need me to tell them what happened) but rather my feelings and predictions. In my review of episode 9 I wrote this about that scene (please note the image link):

And "Girlfriend" seems to be stuck on the script from a few episodes back. But at least she seems to have caught up now. Lets hope there's some light at the end of this tunnel and she
goes full yandere, kills the MC with one of her knitting needles, puts his body in a meat grinder, uses the meat strands to knit a new scarf and the final scene is of her with the scarf round her neck all happy and smiley because now they'll always be together.
At that point I was more focused on my thoughts of the main three then on the side characters. Still funny how the last part of my prediction came true. Guess I'm too aware for my own good.

Oh wait, the last part of that review was where I was nicely lining up my balls on a silver platter ready for the show to kick.

I saw this in a screening room at Anime-Expo at midnight. I love it for five seconds of animation:
When the chick licks the other chick's eyeball.
The whole theater made a collective "Ughhhhh". I was in tears laughing.
I just thought that was how you said hello in Japan.

If it looks like it was made in the 80s then the animation can't be terrible! Hah!
Fine. It looks like a hentai from the 90s. Sorry I'm not an anime expert. It just looks old.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well I've said many times not to expect a good ending from anime and seeing as the journey wasn't much cop logic dictates that the ending would be bad. I guess if you were expecting yuri sex then it was a troll ending.
I was expecting it to at least explain itself some.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
School Days 6-7

Makoto is an amazing hypocrite. Claims to act on the behalf of others, yet when he's required to step up and actually help somebody he relents.

Show is also making clear moves that set up Kotonoha's rapidly deteriorating state of mind. Seems I had it right. Kotonoha's going to be the one doing the killing.

Dresden

Magi - 05

Instead of censoring fanservice and nudity with light bars and darkened screens, studios should just color the characters blue. Clearly worked here. I hope xebec is taking notes.

Music sucks, ED sucks, fake mongols suck. I'm glad we're getting to Mor next episode.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah I played the game. And Shiny Days. And Cross Days. :lol
daaaaaaaaaaaaamn son
School Days 12: END

Oh man, no way it could have ended better. As horrible as it was going, the only choice was for them to take it all the way. After all that, I feel a little more mentally disturbed. That series is messed up in ways I did not expect. For as awful as the beginning was, that's what made the end pay off more.
And now you are a man.

BluWacky

Pretty standard price, pretty standard sales for a catalog release.

I don't doubt that in the least - I actually thought it was a pretty reasonable price for 30 episodes given Japanese pricing. But like you say, you're hardly going to get huge sales on a $200 Bluray boxset of an old show that hasn't lingered in fandom consciousness.

Cwarrior

I see a few people are watching Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (aka My Little Monster) I read it quite sometime ago, it's better then your usual shoujo but I feel obligated to warn you
just don't expect any progress but still better then toradora.

Those first 9-10 episodes were pretty enjoyable! It's everything afterwards that's toxic garbage.
The episodes focused on the main story were good to enjoyable, the bad ones were with the throw away random awful females that seemed to be one time only dull affairs. ALfheim Online feels more focused and well a funner game than Sword Art Online and more solid of a story.

Dog Days' (Dash)

Seven Arcs basically faced a pretty straightforward choice when making the second season of Dog Days. The first season was very light and fluffy, much like the collection of tails the various characters have. For the second season, it simply came down to whether they should take it in a more serious direction, or just keep it mindbreakingly fun. To sum it up: Seven Arcs chose option 2.

So the second season of Dog Days is just like the first, only even more. Despite the already healthy ensemble cast of the first season, the second season manages to overstuff the cast with a huge number of new characters. There's pretty much a tail for everyone in the second season, in addition to the dogs and the cats, this season adds squirrels. Naturally the number of new faces in the cast earn a significant amount of screen time, and some of the side characters in the first season often find themselves reduced to little more than cameo roles. This is unfortunate, especially if you were a fan of the Wakamoto-voiced Godwin in the first season.

The cast of Dog Days' (Dash) would like to see you soon!

All pretenses of a serious story that were briefly seen in the first season are now thoroughly wiped away in season 2. The whole 13 episodes run feels like a big party where the viewer is invited to enjoy as much of calling out your moves, energy blast explosions, very fluffy tails, and light harem and romantic comedy as you can handle. And then the show just pours on even more. Idoru Millhi does a concert three times this season. If you are incapable of enjoying yourself at least a little during this show, I'm sorry but you'd better check your pulse. You're probably dead.

As an aside, this show has very strange and random attention to detail. For whatever reason, Flonyard has it's own entirely defined written language, which you can see throughout the show. I don't even know why exactly such a thing is necessary, but there it is. If you wanted to learn the language of the many kemonomimi races of Flonyard, you most certainly can. Then you can write your love letters to any or all of Millhi, Rico, Eclair, Brioche, Yukki, Leo-sama, Gaul (?), Couvert, Noir, Jaune, Vert, Violetta, and anybody else in their language. Ah, the wonders of Japan.

I can't imagine myself recommending Dog Days' to anyone who hasn't at least seen the first and enjoyed it. It's more of the same, with an emphasis on more. If you did enjoy the first season, well chances are you already watched this second season while it was airing. If you haven't seen the first or second seasons, well, you should. Anyone who is still capable of just enjoying anime, and who still loves watching anime, owes it to themselves to take a look. Just don't come back and blame me when you want to touch some fluffy tails too.

Dog Days' (Dash)
Final Rating: 9 out of 10 Fluffy Tails

Dog days second season was great hecause it focused on what their fan wanted ..character expositions and more tails ... and they did it without any global treat.

Also to note that learning floniard language is a condition to be summoned back
learning the language is the first step to go there !!!
this kind of attention to detail was also present on nanoha where they took their sweet time to explain all the magic rules ..and you can look back and see that they respected those rules from the start .. some of the magic nanoha rules are present in dogdays fruther proof that they are in the same global universe

New PV for Maoyuu Maou Yuusha -- now with voices!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ar0_IZ2vA

Apparently they reuploaded the first PV too, now partially voiced as well.
Good stuff ... i'm clean on this story ..(only read the start ) so i hope this anime will be as great as i hope it is ..

So when somebody new watches School Days, everybody else watches along with them?
We all expereienced something that can't be forgotten.. most of us just run on memories ..

SAO still top 5 for BD? Lolz.

you have to admit that some of those backgrounds would be gorgeous in 1080p ..also the show deserve such a place

El Sloth

Banned
Guys, do you think my professor will accept a critique of storm appropriate anime instead of the environmental research report I was supposed to do? I think I can do this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
School Days 9

This is getting really hard to watch. They just keep twisting the knife.

School Days 10

Wow. Didn't really expect this, although I suppose otherwise this might not end badly. It's pretty much greek tragedy at this point.

Defuser

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo ep 5
A fair share of comedy, ecchi and personal problems and good development. Truly a a underrated show of the season and oh my Aoyama...I didn't know you're such a daring girl to wear exotic pantsu. Mari Okada like Hiroyuki Yoshino should just fucking stick to adapting sources instead of making shitty original ones.

cjkeats

I'm so glad there was a fresh School Days victim this morning, it's been hell at work and it's not even 10am.

My Little Monster: Episode 6

Natsume is still my favorite. Little Shizuku was cute.
This show is going to look superb on blu-ray. I hope someone picks it up and releases it out west.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
School Days 11

One part of me wants to say things have been stretched into charicature here, but at the same time I can look back and see that this course of events was set up properly. It's just that early on it allowed for a more sympathetic interpretation.

Still.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
School Days 9

This is getting really hard to watch. They just keep twisting the knife.

School Days 10

Wow. Didn't really expect this, although I suppose otherwise this might not end badly. It's pretty much greek tragedy at this point.
It's what I've been saying for years!

mAcOdIn

Galactic Cyclone Bryger 30-31

Visible panties on a child. Thank god this practice died out in the early 80s and was never seen again.
I hope this is sarcasm. Seriously. Like 95% of the anime, an independently verified statistic mind you so don't argue it, has panty shots of children much to my chagrin.
The one girl basically wants to be The Desert Fox bro. You have to know your Nazis!
Is that really it though? Does she really? You think she wants to go home to his wife, put on a strap-on and go to town? Then she wants to kill herself for supposedly opposing Hitler?

That's pretty deep for an anime about little girls driving around tanks for sport.

Kamisama Kiss

Alright, I'm getting fed up with this show. They continue their effort to further pound Nanami into the ground, the silly blush factor's gone up ten-fold, she's become more useless in the last two episodes and is now delegated to a damsel in distress, fuck, the show's pretty similar in a way to Inuyasha but even Kagome had the sacred arrow shit, Nanami's got nothing. Maybe it'll get better, and sooner, since I doubt this will get hundreds of episodes like Inuyasha.

duckroll

My Little Monster - Episode 6

Qo43f.jpg

Who can resist Hanazawa playing a shy megane class rep with a hime cut in the best shoujo series this season? -_-

This episode was pretty good, but there were some serious production cheapness going on. Towards the second half of the episode, the characters started to look more and more off-model in every scene. Normally lower production values isn't a problem if they at least look right, even if there is minimal movement, but it was kinda distracting here.

Other than that, I like the developments. Love triangles in romance comedies can be lame, but I think the angle is required here to motivate Shizuku to make a stronger move eventually. Without competition she tends to get kinda lazy, just like in her studies! It'll be interesting to see how things go from here, but the characters continue to be the highlight of the show.

------

Gyrozetter - Episode 6

This episode was action packed and pretty entertaining. As far as big fights go, this is probably on par with the first two episodes of the series. Here we see the Gyrozetters fighting off the first serious attack from Xenon which is coordinated and planned. Kakeru and Shunsuke face off against the new Eraser-01 in his Guiltus mech, while Rinne returns to defend the school from Toma. Pretty cool stuff.

The highlight of the episode is definitely Michinori in the new ape themed Gyrozetter kicking butt. The moves are cool, and I honestly think the mech is more impressive than Raibird. Even Raibird's new finishing move attack this week didn't look as impressive as Kong Roader's sound blaster attack. Lol.

Naruto SD 32
tumblr_md2ior9Kpp1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Guess they even had to do an election day episode. First skit was hilarious but the second one, the actual election day, had me laughing so much. Sasuke only appearing like twice in the 30 or so episodes, placing first in the early voting period, was awesome. Best character. Poor Naruto in a panic over the main show having Itachi and Kakashi-sensei popular too.

But the actual final results was surprisingly and funny
Sasuke for the win! then Naruto. Lee unranked

Steroyd

Ginga e Kickoff - 26

C9vmt.jpg

Sorry for the uncensored pic!

Amusing episode, that training regime Reika went through for her diet looked like one of those fun training courses found in forest parks, this episode was all about getting Kota and Aoto together.

Dresden

jormungand perfect order - 13

Skipping the first season. I guess this episode was meant as a recap of sorts? It was largely incompetent and boring as most of it seemed to be a summary/infodump, but I'll keep going for now. The value of an interesting premise and the promise of an engaging lead, I suppose. Koko seems pretty cool; her competence is assured, her enemies respect her, and her friends don't know whether they can trust her. I was down on how uggo her design is, but in the context of the episode itself it stopped bothering me. Asides from the dissonance of her being considered pretty in-universe, it's not a factor at all.

And yes, this was as ugly as I thought it'd be. One unexpected side effect is that it makes sure I pay attention to the subtitles, not the tits. White Fox, keeping an eye out for gaijin like they always do.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
School Days 12

Well, that didn't happen exactly as I recall from what I was spoiled on.

Just because you have a knife doesn't mean you're a doctor, particularly when determining a 1-2 month old pregnancy.

duckroll

Medaka Box Abnormal - Episode 4

This is more like it! This is why I'm watching this series! This is what I was promised! Yesssssss! More!!!! Crazy fights. Totally illogical logic. Intense destruction. An unstoppable force versus an immovable object. Everything that was promised in Medaka Box ep9-11, and the first episode of Abnormal is now being delivered! I want more!!! Are we seriously going to get another 8 episodes of stuff just like this? I find it hard to believe, but that would be amazing. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom