• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Trivia time: Did you know Squid Girl, Blood-C, Joshiraku, and Girls und Panzer all have the same director? He's a funny guy! :D

How is Blood-C? Shame he had to make something as stupid as Panzer.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Trivia time: Did you know Squid Girl, Blood-C, Joshiraku, and Girls und Panzer all have the same director? He's a funny guy! :D

Maw3H.gif

Ika Musume is an amazing show. The other 3 shows not so much :/

Syrinx

Browsing Hulu's library. What's this board's opinion of Bodacious Space Pirates? (Didn't the grandpa in Rugrats watch some movie with a similar title?)

More serious, i've seen people here talk about Torodora and Deadman Wonderland. Opinions?

Browsing Hulu's library. What's this board's opinion of Bodacious Space Pirates? (Didn't the grandpa in Rugrats watch some movie with a similar title?)

More serious, i've seen people here talk about Torodora and Deadman Wonderland. Opinions?

Deadman Wonderland is nuts. The question is whether it's nuts in a good way or not, which is what makes it so divisive. ToonamiGaf loved it if that's any consolation.

While we're talking about Tsutomu Mizushima, I should mention that fans of his shouldn't miss out on Plastic Nee-san. 3-minute shorts where he does what he does best: energetic physical comedy featuring lewd, violent, insane girls.

Thoraxes

For Space Pirates:

I didn't like it compared to the source material. I watched up to episode 10-12 I think before dropping it to give two arcs a chance. The introduction was poor due to pacing and relevance to overall story, the conflicts were never really dangerous and I felt that the outcomes always negated any feelings the buildups of conflicts brought, and that the side characters just sucked and never really got fleshed out.

I heard from some people that there was anime original material in the show, and that they liked that stuff much better, which just leads me to believe that the adaptation was lackluster, but when they created content made to be anime first and foremost, it shined. That number of episodes though was quite small.

The piracy wasn't really that good either. If you watch it, don't go in expecting badassery, cool gun fights, or awesome. Instead, go in expecting something slow paced, with poor release of built up tension, and a bland main character. I tried to give it a shot for as long as I could, but ultimately it fell short for me, and I gave it a lot of time to be something better.

Also:
ELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFAREELECTRONICWARFARE

Other people seemed to dig it though, and enjoyed the cast, so i'd say just watch the beginning and see if it's for you. If possible, maybe even skip the entire first arc if you dislike slow pacing and see what it does for you.

duckroll

What I want to know is where Mizushima went wrong with XXXHolic. I only watched the first... I think 4 episodes of the first season, but I really didn't like the way it was adapted. Did it ever get better?

What I want to know is where Mizushima went wrong with XXXHolic. I only watched the first... I think 4 episodes of the first season, but I really didn't like the way it was adapted. Did it ever get better?

I can't speak to the quality of the adaptation, but xxxHolic really doesn't seem like the sort of material that suits Mizushima's talents.

Defuser

Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun ep 5
Why a reset scenario? Ugh,only in shoujou.

Other than that a solid insight to the other characters apart from Oshima but Natsume too.

Kagami

Browsing Hulu's library. What's this board's opinion of Bodacious Space Pirates?
Contender for my favorite show of 2012.
Fun characters and exciting action scenes.
It's not really about pirates though, more like government-permitted mercenaries who do odd-jobs.
There are some tense moments but it's overall light in tone.

BluWacky

It didn't ever really improve (although I only watched a bit more than you). However, the xxxHolic film he also directed, A Midsummer Night's Dream, is really rather good.

SENGOKU BASARA: The Last Party

And now, time for the BASARA movie!

And it doesn't disappoint. On the visual level, it looks great. The action looks great and just as outlandish as the series is known for. The music is great too. Production I.G. really went all out on this movie in terms of presentation and spectacle.

The dub was pretty good as well. Of course it had Liam O'Brien Iyeasu so that's basically a stellar dub in my book. The other characters were great too, with angry Troy Baker as Mitsunari, everyone's favorite JYB, pretty much everyone was pretty good. I'll probably watch the sub version later on just so I can PUT MY GUNS ON.

The one part where the movie is weak on is mostly the story. I'll say it is very Masamune and Mistunari focused with a bit of Yukimara while Ieyasu kinda gets left behind in the action. I would also say the side characters really got left behind in the movie. No Magoichi, no Kanbei, no Tsuihime, I feel they really missed their chance in adding interesting characters instead of constantly reusing the same old five characters or so. While I guess, since it only had 60 minutes they had to really focus in the story but even then the characters were pretty one note for the whole movie. Mistunari was a big ball of rage the whole movie and Ieyasu now holds the record for saying bonds the most time in 60 minutes.

It was still a fun view, just there are many things they could have improved upon.

And in true Basara fashion, the movie ends with a CG soldier dance number.

Forgot to add, RIP Basara franchise in the west.

Dresden

SENGOKU BASARA: The Last Party

And now, time for the BASARA movie!

And it doesn't disappoint. On the visual level, it looks great. The action looks great and just as outlandish as the series is known for. The music is great too. Production I.G. really went all out on this movie in terms of presentation and spectacle.

The dub was pretty good as well. Of course it had Liam O'Brien Iyeasu so that's basically a stellar dub in my book. The other characters were great too, with angry Troy Baker as Mitsunari, everyone's favorite JYB, pretty much everyone was pretty good. I'll probably watch the sub version later on just so I can PUT MY GUNS ON.

The one part where the movie is weak on is mostly the story. I'll say it is very Masamune and Mistunari focused with a bit of Yukimara while Ieyasu kinda gets left behind in the action. I would also say the side characters really got left behind in the movie. No Magoichi, no Kanbei, no Tsuihime, I feel they really missed their chance in adding interesting characters instead of constantly reusing the same old five characters or so. While I guess, since it only had 60 minutes they had to really focus in the story but even then the characters were pretty one note for the whole movie. Mistunari was a big ball of rage the whole movie and Ieyasu now holds the record for saying bonds the most time in 60 minutes.

It was still a fun view, just there are many things they could have improved upon.

And in true Basara fashion, the movie ends with a CG soldier dance number.

It's sengoku basara, man!

Don't think I can ever listen to the dub, Date's asshole-factor isn't the same in English.

Space Pirates is an odd beast.

It's not what one expects, but if you like star trek style 'submarine duel' between ships, and cute girls doing cute things. It's worth a watch.

Think animegaf generally enjoy it.

ix4IEapoMurWd.gif

cute

ilOhSxwiaCAf7.gif

space ninjas.

Fun for the whole family.

Maedhros

The mages in Zetsuen no Tempest trying to summon the Exodus Tree keep chanting "Moe, Moe, Moe..."

Just the proof I needed to show that Moe is the evil.

cajunator

Banned
Maw3H.gif

Ika Musume is an amazing show. The other 3 shows not so much :/

My roomate actually thought ika musume was too silly.
She didnt like Princess TuTu either :(

Space Pirates is fun if you dont mind the hard sci fi start as well as silly character antics.
Its not really bodacious.

He also did Azazel-san, Dai Mahou Touge, and Kemeko DX
Dude understands comedy.
Dai mahou touge (Punie chan) is hilarious and highly recommended.

Syrinx

Damn, I was just kinda kidding with the Bodacious Space Pirates thing, but it's apparently pretty good.

Won't watch tonight, though. Maybe more Darker Than Black to get my mind off the election for awhile.

Wasn't aware of this ... i have to agree that all 4 show have something "unique" but really i couldn't finsh blood-c ..it felt to me that everyone on this show needed to die , and fast ... one day i'll watch the rest ...( maybe )

My roomate actually thought ika musume was too silly.
She didnt like Princess TuTu either :(

Ika musume is not nearly silly enough

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Wasn't aware of this ... i have to agree that all 4 show have something "unique" but really i couldn't finsh blood-c ..it felt to me that everyone on this show needed to die , and fast ... one day i'll watch the rest ...( maybe )

Blood C spoilers:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Syrinx

Darker Than Black: Vol. 1 Ep. 3

This is a really fucking cool show.

Interested to see what a star being born means, and what the relationship of that is to that flower that Tahara took back from the gate is. Tahara seemed to understand the relationship pretty well.

Also, I have concluded that electrical powers may be the coolest. How else can you start up a whole fucking amusement park by yourself.

Felt bad for Mai, but I'm not really digging her character. Angsty girl who lost her mother and is pretty much neglected by her father, yeah, not the most original thing though. At least she can start fires and explosions. That's cool.

Articalys

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 5

God damn, Matsuoka must be having a field day acting in this show. This exchange:
was great. And the whole scene in the park too.

Mariko Nakatsu is also doing a great job as Nanami despite being a rookie seiyuu.

yami4ct

You need to finish Blood-C. The more time passes, the greater my appreciation for that show grows. It is mad genius.

Magi 5

Another solid episode and faithful adaptation of the corresponding material. Some good action too and blue tits.

Next episode will be the real test. We should have a good idea then if this can be a faithful enough adaptation to not cause problems.

JOSHIRAKU - 13
V5ZScl.jpg

Trully sad this show has ended ..but yeah there is a time where everything must end so i won't feel sad
They were shamelessly twisting some of their own jokes at the end ..so i guess it's alright ..
Joshiraku is not an excellent show ..but it's a good show ... the extra sections in the middle where pretty well done and i enjoy everyone chatting with their own issues/worries/characters.

A second season is welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom