• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
S8EtB.gif

We need you!

Dat Triforce

Jex

[Cross Game] - 34

I like how this episode gave a little bit of time to to total sidecharacters who get no development, like Senda and Aoba's cousin. Not that the main characters are going anywhere fast, but at least they've changed a little bit since the start of the show, kind of. I don't even remember cousin's name because he has no presence and no impact on anything, I'm not even sure what the point of his character is at this point. It seems like Adachi brought him into to be a romantic rival but then never actually went down that path.

I feel like it's taking Aoba far too long to stop standing on the sidelines and actually get involved with some real women's games. Multiple characters have given her the whole "follow your own path" speech but it never really seems to register. Perhaps this time we'll see some progress.

The CG certainly doesn't look particularly good with 2D characters layered over it, but that doesn't actually mean the action sequences themselves are poorly constructed or low on tension.

I get that part of it...I guess the CG quality here bothers me more because the show relies so much on it. Which is why I say that it gets in the way for me.

Jex

I get that part of it...I guess the CG quality here bothers me more because the show relies so much on it. Which is why I say that it gets in the way for me.

I think that's understanable, I mean this is really, obviously CG. It doesn't help that they're going for that crisp, realistic look rather than something softer and more cartoony. Ultimately though, most of the time it's CG objects interacting with CG objects and at least they pull of some interesting camera moves. Most of the time I'd really find the CG to be a major barrier to my enjoyment of the show but in this case everything is so well put together that I can forgive it.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 5

~Et tu, Brute?~

Not an actual quote from the episode, but fits well enough. Kircheis' solo mission was a splendid success, officially making him number 2 in the hierarchy under Reinhard, which seemed to be the intention of the whole thing. Once again, the shadowy organisation with the connections make their appearance. I'm sure they'll be of much influence throughout the show. And we also got another insight into the Imperial trio's relationship. Since Kircheis is my favorite character, I thoroughly enjoyed him having a little solo moment, showcasing he's not just an assistant. The Roman-esque dictator was pretty funny.

cjkeats

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Episode 5
Thank god we're back to the les serious fun stuff.
I love this show. All the characters are great, and the jokes are hilarious.
Best girl
moving in
was no surprise, but it's going to hopefully make for some great moments.

Between this and My little Monster, I can't decide which I like better this season.

Articalys

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shita 6

Bros for life.

Nibutani is still terrifying when she's angry.

Also,
"Don't laugh." Then they immediately burst out laughing. What a couple of jerks.

Also also
that hand holding scene at the train crossing, so lewd

Nafe

Ice

Earlier Mad Pierrot suggested people watch the anime titled Ice and try to piece together it's supposedly complicated timeline. This got me intrigued to watch the show and it turns out that BGBW also just watched the show recently by recommendation of Hitokage.

As mentioned, while released in 2007, by it's character designs and general look aside from some CG definitely makes it look like a much older work. Normally I would have no problems with this but has been mentioned again, it seems to have lot's of animation quirks such has been shown with the dance scene in the second OVA. There's other similar character movements such as when Kisaragi dismisses her subjects. In the third OVA a character has the same facial expression but one eye twitching which just looked really strange. When characters are killed in the over the top violent ways it seems to be better animated in those scenes however.

The discrepancy in the voice acting was pretty distracting though. There are some regular veteran seiyuu such as Eri Kitamura but then there are a few girls from AKB48 which are very noticeably not as talented.

fW4aL.jpg

A sneak peek at the upcoming apocalypse fashion line up.

The show seems to want to tell a message but doesn't seem to know what it wants to say. It's quite explicitly stated that "men are evil" such as they used guns to kill but now the women who remain alive should use a type of gun-sword looking weapon because it's more feminine and apparently men didn't ever create swords so their not evil.

Science and the resulting bad causes were also all caused by men. All those female scientists you think you know are apparently all just a mass hysteria we're all having, therefore women are absolved of any bad consequences that may arise.

The show not only looks like an older OVA but also seems to want the more graphic violence of older OVAs at times. Apparently the staff didn't think how this would affect their message. Am I to think that all humanity is equally cruel and evil or that the women who remain are big hypocrites who are doing all the things they claim men are evil of?

Other leaps of logic also have to be made. The story starts in May of 1986 and then the future apocalyptic type world is in 2012, 26 years into the future in other words. In this time frame however, despite the fact that humanity was facing a crises and population numbers were dwindling, humanity somehow develops GUNDAM mech type units and fancy airships and other technological advances far exceeding those that exist today, which is also conveniently the year 2012.

7WsDX.jpg

Robots always look cooler with capes. It also works as armor somehow too!

It is revealed that
people cannot ingest wild plants or animals due to being exposed to the environment which has been contaminated with some deadly bio-chemical type substance which would result in death. People have been living off of boxed or canned type goods found in the city and for at least a few years, yet Yuki can still find a store in the ruins with all kinds of food. It almost seems like that kind of thing should be running out or stockpiled more in the actual population centers.

I'm not sure if I'd say it's nonsensically incoherent, aside from the ICE having a defense mechanism which turns you into some kind of raging monster for some reason, as I would say it's more missing details. Such as what is past Hitomi's relationship with future hitomi?,
how did Yuki go back in time to give Hitomi her brooch?
, it's suggested that
men were working on project ICE and twin tower before the satellite or space station crashed into the atmosphere but why?

BPMgC.jpg

Miscarriages in the future look something like this for reasons unexplained.

I checked to see what the animation studio was and it's apparently called PPM which apparently only did the lead work on one other OVA called Prayers from 2005. It seems to be about as equally obscure as Ice and if it's about the same quality then I can see why the company hasn't handled anything animation production since.

One plus of the OVAs is I thought some of the different background tracks were nice and accurately captured or helped to emphasize the emotion of the scene in which they took part in.

In the end it seemed like Ice had some interesting ideas that were never really explored or explained combined with the technical problems and variant voice work made it ultimately kind of disappointing.

Thanks to those for reading everything.

Mandoric

Banned
MPC-HC with xy-vsfilter. Looked exactly the same when I tried it with SMPlayer. Pops up for less than a second either way.

That's damn strange, it's definitely skipping loading of a muxed font. OS language? Have some spare time this weekend to go over a test file?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Browsing Hulu's library. What's this board's opinion of Bodacious Space Pirates? (Didn't the grandpa in Rugrats watch some movie with a similar title?)
While the beginning is slow I feel it was worth it in the end. After the first arc the show really takes off.

Poor Azazel-san, no one remembers you.
I do. Would put it in my top 10 comedy anime shows (though I should be obliged to point out my relative newness to the world of anime)

Mass suicide?

clearly it's a sign... a sign telling you to read Onepunch-Man asap
Hey hey. I read it after your mention of it in the IRC room yesterday.

I saw your earlier edit. Trying to take us all with you to your early grave.

Oh man, you admitted you like SAO? Run for your life.
SAO has bored all the haters so they lack the energy to even care.

Also after reading the LNs I can't wait for the end of this arc, because the climax is almost certain to make anyone on hatewatch self-destruct in a flare of pure ether and vitriol.

:popcorn:
Watch the ending to this arc be a disappointment now that you've hyped it up. Let me guess they turn around and go back into town meaning in the end there was no progress whatsoever. Also we don't get to see sis tits until a BD OVA.

Ice

Earlier Mad Pierrot suggested people watch the anime titled Ice and try to piece together it's supposedly complicated timeline. This got me intrigued to watch the show and it turns out that BGBW also just watched the show recently by recommendation of Hitokage.
Oh dear. What have I done now?

I didn't even notice the show took place in 2012 (the moment we saw monsters started appearing I think I shut my brain off and just enjoyed the ride as best as I could). That makes this show even more laughable when you consider it was a 2007 show. They could have at least set it more than five years into the future.

You're right that the violence is remarkably off considering the evil man message forced down one's throat throughout. Though I did find it funny that the first character to die was one of the clones. It's like how you could predict who would die in Star Trek based on their uniform but in this case it was their hair colour.

-Here end the quotes-

Gals och Pansies 1 - 4

iH3OHmJPI4Ase.gif

Don't know why I put this off for so long since it was on my list of shows to check out. Exactly what I expected it to be. Pleasant and fun. Thank God I don't care about CGI.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I find myself only having time for like one thing while it airs, everything else I marathon once it's done. GIRLS und PANZER is that thing. Best show is the best.

Go_Ly_Dow

School Days 07

Mokoto's misery black hole has reached critical mass. It's now sucking in innocents around him. There must really be something in the water at the school. It seems a good portion of the students are almost as horrible of people as Mokoto. I mean, they seem to blame Kotonoha for the whole situation even though she's the biggest victim here. In the end, I think we can all agree Setsuna is the real hero of the show. Only person who's sane enough to actually try to diffuse the situation. I feel bad I thought she was a psychopath just waiting to kill everyone. That may still be the case, but it'd be completely justified at this point.

The show itself has become a black hole as well. I've crossed the even horizon. There's no turning back. The only option is to marathon the last 5 episodes. Look for me to give a status check-in every couple episodes to confirm I'm not dead or when something particularly notable happens I feel the need to commentate on.

you're one of the bravest humans i have ever come across ;_;

it's been a while since someone has fully embraced it like you have

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka 22 Chuu2 6

TIYPEl.jpg

Indeed!

So I didn't mind a wacky hijinks episode, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they resolve or touch on the whole Rika arc.

I also still find it weird that the show sits somewhere in between Nichijou and Hyouka/K-On in terms of realism/seriousness. It's an interesting dichotomy between some of the serious issues of isolation and social stigma and the cartoony and silly nature of some of the character reactions in the show. The battle of the two "Moris" being the biggest example of this anyway.

"Still, fun show is fun, etc." -Yui.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chuu2Byou 06:

Chuu2_06_01.jpg

Nibutani, you're so cute when you're angry. :3

This episode had some seriously nice animation at times, and lots of little details too (love the bit where
Nibutani is rolling around the room, and Isshki has to jump whenever she gets to his area to avoid being tripped.
)

Chuu2_06_02.jpg

Lewd

Chuu2_06_03.jpg

I am TOTALLY okay with this.

Isshki is a bro. Completely stupid, but a total bro. Man, that scene toward the end (you know which one), holy shit that was great! XD

But even though Nibutani is still my favorite, I have to admit Kumin really stole the show in this episode. She was overflowing with cute!

Chuu2_06_05.jpg

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng!

Maedhros

Shinsekai Yori 05

Even if the episode looks like shit... wtf are these kids doing? Are they really doing what I think it is?

WTF did happen in this episode? What did he perfurated with the spear in the end of the episode?

Narag

Galactic Cyclone Bryger 33

TmGStl.png

A postcard of people dying horribly. Shit is class.

Turns out some dude is uniting all the rogue space biker gangs and attacking the police! J9's Zenigatalike, CHief Macarone, is in danger and J9 is off to save him. I still like how that he went from chasing J9 to begrudgingly working with them to turning a blind eye to what they do. The thawing between the sides was furthered by their rescue attempt.

Killing off the police chief and his assistant is some bullshit though.

So after 20 odd episodes of status quo and another dozen or so of Nubia undermining rivals and helping destroy the police in the asteroids, the situation is pretty far removed from where the show started. I think J9 is taking this shit personally at last. I need my throwdown, damn it.

wonzo

Banned
Chuu2 6

Nibutani owning the shit outta dem creepers. Good stuff.

That's damn strange, it's definitely skipping loading of a muxed font. OS language? Have some spare time this weekend to go over a test file?
Check PM

Hey hey. I read it after your mention of it in the IRC room yesterday.
I think you're confusing me for Dresd... oh. Well played.

I saw your earlier edit. Trying to take us all with you to your early grave.
i plead the fif'

cjkeats

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shita: Episode 6

Nibutani is still the best. Girl's fierce.
Next episode is the inevitable beach episode, no anime would be complete without it.

Syrinx

From The New World 5

Yeah, you guys weren't kidding about this. Something about the direction definitely felt off with this episode. Oftentimes it felt very hard to tell what was going on. Also, this may have just been me, but there seemed to be some very blurry parts as well, particularly
when Saki injured herself and during the meeting with the queen. That reminds me, that was one goddamn ugly, scary queen.

Most people have said 6 is better, so I'm hopeful.

Maedhros

Shinsekai Yori 06

Pretty good stuff. Convenient way to get Satoru's Cantus back. Nice seeing the uses of Cantus. Too bad Satoru is being stubborn again. The art of this episode was good again. Thank God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom