• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The New World 5

Yeah, you guys weren't kidding about this. Something about the direction definitely felt off with this episode. Oftentimes it felt very hard to tell what was going on. Also, this may have just been me, but there seemed to be some very blurry parts as well, particularly
when Saki injured herself and during the meeting with the queen. That reminds me, that was one goddamn ugly, scary queen.

Most people have said 6 is better, so I'm hopeful.

I definitely felt 6 was a better episode, but the direction is still lacking and occasionally worse than anything in episode 5.

Infinite Ryvius 19

It definitely feels like we're approaching the climax of the show.
The beating that Kozue received last episode is the catalyst for the relationships between the principal group of friends the show's been following to completely unravel while at the same time the stress of responsibility in the face of a lack of decisive leadership could cause what remains of Zwei to unravel as well. A crisis brings out a person's true self, and we certainly see that here as raw insecurities rise to the surface: Juli's feelings of inadequacy in a position she feels forced into, Kouji feels caught between his desire not to be passively useless and his desire not to take action that would hurt someone else. Most of these internal conflicts have been gradually building for a long time; one that has not is Ikumi's guilt over a past failure to protect his sister, which I can't remember being alluded to before now. It would have been nice to have seen some of his vulnerable side before; he seems to be someone who always has it together - but then those are sometimes the people with the deepest psychological problems.

The Ryvius as a whole is winding down into a weary apathy; the collectivism previously imposed on its denizens has given way to practical anarchy. It's what you'd expect to happen after this extended period of isolation; losing the belief that they'll ever be able to find assistance and reconnect with the outside world and their future, each person is pursing whatever immediate pleasure tickles their fancy.
Even if not a lot of time is spent on them, I do like the little sub-plots that carry through the downtime montages, as they give a good picture of the changes that have taken place through the Ryvius' voyage.

We also learn the name of Mystery Girl, Neya. By now, having seen how similar vessels to the Ryvius work, it's clear that she is the being who controls the ship's special powers. She has an emotional resonance with everyone on board, but - and I'm not sure if I'm reading this right - but it seems to be particularly strong with Kouji, given that she follows him more than anyone else. Considering that there seems to be a human responsible for controlling these beings in the other vessels, I wonder if she has picked him to be that person on the Ryvius. I wonder how late he and the others will realize what's going on and take advantage of it.

The character drama is compelling enough that I can overlook the visual quirks like Hisashi Hirai, who I've grown to very much dislike over the course of this show, and

BJK4h.jpg

What is up with these shadows anyway?

Maedhros

Tonari no Kaibatsukun 06

This was the most shoujo episode from this show until now. Their relationship is getting ankward. Hope we don't get any drama, I would hate that...

Maedhros

Jojo 05

HAHAHAHAHAHA, HOLY SHIT. That scene with Zeppeli running across the lake... God, that shit was the most funny thing in this show so far. Gifs where??

Infinite Ryvius 20

It's a horrible feeling when someone launches into a flashback and you suddenly realize you're watching a stealth recap episode.

Outside of the recap segments, though, this was actually pretty good, certainly better than the last pseudo-recap. It contained several pivotal character and plot moments executed with strong direction and better than usual animation. I particularly liked the imagery of Faina's ferret savagely eating Aoi's lunch.

duckroll

Infinite Ryvius 20

It's a horrible feeling when someone launches into a flashback and you suddenly realize you're watching a stealth recap episode.

Outside of the recap segments, though, this was actually pretty good, certainly better than the last pseudo-recap. It contained several pivotal character and plot moments executed with strong direction and better than usual animation. I particularly liked the imagery of Faina's ferret savagely eating Aoi's lunch.

Ah the good old days of 90s and 00s anime where stealth recap episodes were a popular thing to do. Create some new scenes to frame the narrative at the beginning and the end, and fill 18-20 minutes with recap footage + new narration. Sweet memories (lol).

These days, the only recaps we seem to get are either special unnumbered episodes between seasons, or when production falls behind unexpectedly. I guess it's also a sign of how episode counts these days are more flexible, so instead of being required to deliver 26 episodes, if the budget is only enough for 22 episodes, that's what they'll produce instead.

It's pretty interesting to see how minor things like this have changed over the years.

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! 6

Although it was slightly worse than the last, this was a really good episode. The developments throughout, save for the beautiful train sequence and the ending, seemed rather insignificant, due to the thoroughly comedic nature of the episode, which is why this was ultimately a lesser one. One of the better aspects of the episode was the attempt to develop Makoto into a more layered and prominent character, as his role in the story had become a persistent flaw, since it singularly consisted of a particularly isolated and stagnant characterization, and I thought, for the most part, it worked quite well. The latter half of the episode was a considerable improvement over the material that came before, due, in large part, to
Rikka and Yuuta's amazing scene by the train

As such, my favorite scene by far was
Rikka and Yuuta's moment in front of the train
, as
Rikka takes Yuuta's hand, and they temporarily hold this surprising connection, while the imposing train hurtles past
. Of course, since this briefly
dramatic and romantic
interlude was framed and handled with such significance, it appears likely that these specific flourishes of movement excellently foreshadow touches of emotional conflict being woven into the story moving forward, while also subtly illuminating the natural development of their relationship. Also, Rikka's
ominous words
at the very beginning of the scene, though they simply could have been uttered as yet another statement from the chuunibyou side of her personality, could possibly infer the development of an
imminent complication
, such as something pertaining to the seemingly fractured
relationship with her parents
, as she appeared
noticeably troubled
throughout the entire episode.

I really like that Makoto's role in the story has been broadened, since a constant, unaltered relegation to a mere friend of Yuuta's who's sole purpose is to intermittently provide comedic remarks throughout the entirety of the story would have been quite disappointing. The moment
Kumin touched Makoto's head
was great, and hopefully it indicates the potential for an
unexpected relationship between them
, which would benefit the development of their characters immensely, as they're easily, up to this point, the least involved.

The comedy, for the first time, was quite inconsistent in it's effectiveness, since a few of the thoroughly exaggerated reactions occasionally fell flat, particularly the majority of those involving Makoto. The rest of the humor was as great as usual, particularly any of Sanae and Shinka's interactions. As such, their interactions are exceedingly enjoyable, especially the sequence of events that involved
Shinka retaliating to Sanae's tripping interjection during class by threatening her with milk, which was then followed by Sanae quoting Shinka's own book, and hilariously culminated with Shinka consequently rolling around the room due to her embarrassment
. They certainly bring out the best in one another. Even so, they really can be quite cruel at times, as displayed most by
their repeatedly laughing at Makoto's shaved head
, despite their promises that they wouldn't. The last scene was quite intriguing, as
Touka asks for Yuuta's help upon accompanying Rikka to the beach
, which likely ties into how distracted
Rikka
appeared throughout much of the episode.

The ending to the last episode and the
hand-holding
scene in this one seem to indicate a meaningful foreshadowing towards a thoroughly heightened focus on Yuuta and Rikka's developing romance, which would be terrific, since it's easily one of the most compelling elements of the show. As such, the story inevitably becomes slightly less interesting and engaging whenever it temporarily shifts it's focus away from Rikka and Yuuta's relationship, since their dynamic is endlessly intriguing, while it's also consistently able to provide considerable potential for a plethora of significant developments within the story and their own characters.

The direction and storyboarding of the train sequence was exceptional, as it was able to skilfully and deftly convey an emotional depth and complexity within their particular expressions and subtle movements. The animation was fantastic throughout, since it brilliantly captured extensive details within particular moments, such as the train sequence and the exaggerated movements found in many of Sanae and Shinka's interactions.

All in all, despite a marginally weaker episode, Chuunibyou continues to greatly surpass my expectations, as it's gradually developing into one of the best shows of the season, and I'm expecting the latter half to be quite a bit better, since it seems destined to focus on the particular elements of the show I find most interesting. Although this might be expecting a level of depth and dramatic importance within the narrative that wouldn't typically be found in what is essentially a romantic comedy, I'm hoping for a proper examination and deconstruction of Rikka's Chuunibyou delusions before the story's end, and perhaps an awakened desire to relinquish her childish inclinations and this stationary facade she's constructed.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
isn't joker great ? get ready for the next episode !

He's pretty awesome.

=====================

Smile Precure - 22 (meant to post this earlier but forgot, already saw episode 23 and OH MY FUCKING GOD!!
Impressions coming.
)

Hoooooooly shit did this just get real. :O

Girls get their asses beat (with swag might I add), and then process to get their bad energy stolen after getting mindfucked. Wow!

Syrinx

Some of Hulu's descriptions for these shows are making me laugh my ass off. Here are the worst ones:

-Girls Bravo
-UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie
-My Santa
-Cat Planet Cuties
-Maid-Sama

...and there are probably a lot more.

How much you wanna bet I somehow end up finding myself watching one of these?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Some of Hulu's descriptions for these shows are making me laugh my ass off. Here are the worst ones:

-Girls Bravo
-My Santa
-Cat Planet Cuties
-Maid-Sama

Maid-sama is actually good and worth watching.

The others, not so much.

cajunator

Banned

-Girls Bravo
-My Santa
-Cat Planet Cuties
-Maid-Sama

I own 4 of those 5 actually.

Girls Bravo is typical perverted fun haremshit. It has a famous banana scene that animegaf would be happy to explain to you.
Ufo princess valkyrie is sort of but not really mahou shoujo. Its hard to explain but it involves singing alien catgirl maid armies on a bus.
Cat planet cuties is more alien catgirl haremshit.
Maid sama is about a girl who really shouldnt be a maid as she totally doesnt fit the personality but she works in a maid cafe to make ends meet.
Its shoujo.

Syrinx

I own 4 of those 5 actually.

Girls Bravo is typical perverted fun haremshit. It has a famous banana scene that animegaf would be happy to explain to you.
Ufo princess valkyrie is sort of but not really mahou shoujo. Its hard to explain but it involves singing alien catgirl maid armies on a bus.
Cat planet cuties is more alien catgirl haremshit.
Maid sama is about a girl who really shouldnt be a maid as she totally doesnt fit the personality but she works in a maid cafe to make ends meet.
Its shoujo.

Okay, first, if it involves a banana, I wager there's only a handful of things it could be, so I probably have a pretty good idea. Second, knowing Anime-GAF, you guys would probably tell me I should watch Girls Bravo instead.

Also, singing alien catgirl maid armies on a bus? This sounds suspiciously like a bunch of random words stringed together... and yet I totally buy that it exists.

wonzo

Banned
Saint Seiya Omega 31

Bleh, I'm guessing that a female gold saint's supposed to be a big deal/not supposed to happen according to the past series as I read comments on another site with people gettin' all angry and losing their shit about it so if it's the later then that pretty much owns. Now all that's left is to ditch the shitty masks altogether! Next episode's focusing on Yuna and she's like one of the handful of characters I actually give a shit about so I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I wonder when the next Umakoshi ep is.

SDBurton

Smile Precure - 23

Holy fucking shit!!!!! Is this real life?!!! Nao's battlecry gave me goosebumps!

Did I just see Yayoi do fucking Shunpo and elbow the demon guy in the gut? YES!!!

I've been sitting for 15 minutes trying to think of anything else to say. Nothing's coming. Speechless. Absolutely fucking speechless on how awesome this episode was. /giveup

Chuu2Koi 06

Very amusing episode. It gave great focus on that other male friend most people forget and actually gave him some character too.

The random antics of literally everyone else was fun to watch as well.

Gotta love Yuuta's sure fire method is bonking everyone on the head works too.

Smile Precure - 23

Holy fucking shit!!!!! Is this real life?!!! Nao's battlecry gave me goosebumps!

Did I just see Yayoi do fucking Shunpo and elbow the demon guy in the gut? YES!!!

I've been sitting for 15 minutes trying to think of anything else to say. Nothing's coming. Speechless. Absolutely fucking speechless on how awesome this episode was. /giveup

shame that ultimate finisher is used everytime for now on. It's so pretty... but takes so long :(

shame that ultimate finisher is used everytime for now on. It's so pretty... but takes so long :(

arf don't tell him that ...

indeed ep 23 was a pretty powerfull mid season finale.. i have doubt they will top this for he real finale but hey ..there is still hope.

Ultimadrago

Kaiji 1

kaiji123qu3.png

The backdrop here is similar to those used for One Outs reactions.
Hopefully, this one will have more than just the colors red and blue!
Some better variety with the textures themselves also wouldn't hurt.

This is why you don't
cosign
carelessly!

On the introduction (and my inevitable comparing to One Outs throughout), it would seem Kaiji is much more "human" than Toua. This isn't inherently better, but it definitely makes way for approaching personal developments, which (with solid execution) is desirable. Meanwhile, Toua is a stoic alien from another planet in comparison for the entirety of his series.

This show also has an awesome narrator. The voice already has a stronger personality that encompasses the traits of being an all-knowing spectator than the one from One Outs in both script and tone. When the games come around this voice should do the job just fine!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 5

~Et tu, Brute?~

Not an actual quote from the episode, but fits well enough. Kircheis' solo mission was a splendid success, officially making him number 2 in the hierarchy under Reinhard, which seemed to be the intention of the whole thing. Once again, the shadowy organisation with the connections make their appearance. I'm sure they'll be of much influence throughout the show. And we also got another insight into the Imperial trio's relationship. Since Kircheis is my favorite character, I thoroughly enjoyed him having a little solo moment, showcasing he's not just an assistant. The Roman-esque dictator was pretty funny.
Yes! Another watcher.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 106

At least she's got good taste.

Even Imperial admirals can be moé!

The depiction of Terraists in this episode went from fanatical morons/terrorists with a devotion for the stupid to utterly ugly monsters. Seriously, they look so fucking monstrous now. I knew the show wasn't ever apologetic about their depiction (they are less a religious entity and more a full-blown guerrilla group), but making them ogreish is ridiculous.

Kesler got a cute waifu and Prince Alec is born. Good omens. :)

Long live Eisenach. You are the one unsung Galactic Hero.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 107

Fucking Bittenfeld. He's like Poplan, Attenborough, and Schenkopp all combined.

You need to hang out around Mrs. Cazzellnu more, Karin-chan.

Reinhard valiantly commands his troops against the Iserlohn rebels without any regard for his own health. Of course that all goes awry when he collapses in the middle of the battle, information that is inevitably intercepted by Julian and co., granting them a great opportunity to strike against the Kaiser. The way the entire Imperial fleet falls into confusion tells us of the over-reliance on Reinhard's combative ability. The fact that not even Bittenfeld would strike against the Iserlohn forces is evidence of the over-reliance on the Golden Lowe. Things do not look well for the Kaiser. :(

The use of unmanned ships as a decoy was superb, but as a gamble it was too risky, especially when compare to Yang's more cautious attitude to battle. Too bad Reinhard is not at his fullest. Julian would be fucked had the Kaiser been physically better.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 108

This was probably one of the best episodes I've ever watched in anime. If forty plus hours were built up around getting to this moment then they were forty plus hours well spent. It managed to both glorify and abhor the horrors of warfare, and also to give a fitting coda to many of the side characters that have accompanied the audience all this time.
I am thankful that all the Iserlohn good guys were able to meet a dignified death after the ignominy of Yang's assassination. Julian himself foreshadowed it when he concluded that the era of heroes and geniuses had come to an end. There really would be no place for these champions in a universe of peace and cooperation. If they are a remnant of a brutal and better forsaken period of time, at least they got a glorious entry to Valhalla.

We will forever remember the galactic heroes of those days...

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 109

Firstly, what the fuck is Lennenkanpt doing here?
I thought that Valhalla was reserved to people who died in battle. Suicide hardly sounds like a glorious way to go out in the name of the Kaiser.

The beginning sequence with Katerose singing in memory of Schenkopp felt way out of place with the show. Never mind the fact that we have never been told anything about her singing abilities, it fucks up the solemn mood the rest of Iserlohn is living at the moment. Plus, she's an awful character who exists for the sole purpose of giving Julian some prize at the end of the road.

Mittermeyer's dream with the Kaiser joining the other admirals was incredibly sad. :( He will be the only remnant of Reinhard's short-live reign, but, on the other hand, he has his own family to take care of. This message of "mourning just the sufficient amount and focus on the later generations" may be optimistic, but it still feels kinda like dipshit after you've spent so much time around these characters. :(

Rubinsky's last plot is another one of those elements, along with the Terraists, that should have been left for a lesser animu. While I don't doubt he had the means to install all of those explosives under the city, that's the kind of vengeful machinations that is so out of the blue that you can't help but glare at it in disgust, added to the fact that Heinessenpolis has experience about a bajillion different terrorist attacks in the past two years so the effect is diluted. They are trying to cram far too much into this episode.

I was surprised at the relative ease to which the Kaiser acknowledged and somewhat accepted Julian's proposal for a constitutional parliamentary. It might be the illness doing him or the fact that he knows it will no longer be his obligation to rule over the universe. I like to think he acknowledges the problems that a hierarchic government entails. His objective was always for him to rule the universe, not for his bloodline to impart the law for all time. He suffered through some of the worst days of the Goldenbaum putrid governance, after all.

Finally: Lamest Love Story Ever Told

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 110

OH FUCK YES
YESSSS
NO
NOOO

Final thoughts on Legend of the Galactic Heroes

The show is definitely ugly at times. Not to mention the verbosity and length can be a huge impediment towards trying to get into the show --I've been a huge critic of the -monogatari series' love with its own pompousness before, but I can't deny SHAFT at least tries to make it visually creative in order to capture the audience's attention. There's none of that imagination in terms of camerawork or cinematography here. Talking heads occasionally working from one place to another are the norm instead of a disappointing byproduct in an otherwise opulent work.

And yet I couldn't help but love every second of it. It's an œuvre with a message to tell, and regardless of whether it's efficient or not at telling it (
TERRA IS MY MOTHER
) the ambitiousness surrounding it is commendable. The moniker 'Legend" aptly applies here: LotGH's subject matter reaches far, the patience need to produce such story encompassing a long time. I remember I once commented that most stories out there are simple enough to not necessitate more than fifty episodes or so. I'm glad to admit this is the exception to the rule, as, unlike many of the shounen cartoons that equal or surpass LotGH's length, the story it tries to tell is complex and in need of the time it demands of its audience.

Aside from the dramatic moments, what I most admire out of the show is its commitment to remain a 'historical' recount of the Galactic Empire. There were many a time when the narrator would spoil something that would happen later on, including vital and #gamechanger stuff like
Yang's death
. This approach is unlike anything I've watched in the medium before, and I ended up rather enjoying the educational vibe.

Without going into the political stuff, as I don't feel well-rounded enough in the matter, I do extol any self-proclaimed anime fan to go ahead and watch it. It's an experience like no other in animation, exuding tons of love from its creators in every little detail of its body.

I give Legend of the Galactic Heroes five axes axing Imperial heads out of five and a Regulus Tera Official Seal for One of the Bestest Animus Ever™, however devalued those seals are.

Prosit!
Fuckin Bravo. Everyone should watch the movie at least and give it a shot.

Now watch some of the Gaiden stuff. SPACE BROS.

Infinite Ryvius 21

"STAY CAAAAAALM!" Everyone's losing their minds. Seeing the normally cool and collected Heigar crack was unnerving, not to mention what's happening with Ikumi.

Ah the good old days of 90s and 00s anime where stealth recap episodes were a popular thing to do. Create some new scenes to frame the narrative at the beginning and the end, and fill 18-20 minutes with recap footage + new narration. Sweet memories (lol).

These days, the only recaps we seem to get are either special unnumbered episodes between seasons, or when production falls behind unexpectedly. I guess it's also a sign of how episode counts these days are more flexible, so instead of being required to deliver 26 episodes, if the budget is only enough for 22 episodes, that's what they'll produce instead.

It's pretty interesting to see how minor things like this have changed over the years.

If you have to recycle old footage with a recap due to lack of time or budget or other circumstances, that's fine. But I'd much prefer, say, the way Girls und Panzer is doing it - announcing it ahead of time, not numbering it, and making it a straight-up recap episode - instead of dragging down important narrative by throwing in dragged-out expository flashbacks. The recap narration in Infinite Ryvius 20 was painfully transparent and not fitting in the context in which it was inserted.

Of course, if you're going to be clever with your recaps, like Gintama, that's fine too.

Kaiji 1

This is why you don't
cosign
carelessly!

On the introduction (and my inevitable comparing to One Outs throughout), it would seem Kaiji is much more "human" than Toua. This isn't inherently better, but it definitely makes way for approaching personal developments, which (with solid execution) is desirable. Meanwhile, Toua is a stoic alien from another planet in comparison for the entirety of his series.

Kaiji makes for a more interesting protagonist than either Toua or the titular character of Akagi because he's flawed and emotional. Rather than always having a perfect plan he's completely confident in that lets him come out on top every time, he's always just barely surviving (hence the subtitle: Ultimate Survivor). The danger of him falling into the abyss always feels real, so you are driven to root for him to surmount both the impossible odds against him and his own folly.

This show also has an awesome narrator. The voice already has a stronger personality that encompasses the traits of being an all-knowing spectator than the one from One Outs in both script and tone. When the games come around this voice should do the job just fine!

Fumihiko Tachiki is the best narrator who ever narrated.

SDBurton

luckily one can scrub ahead!

it's still fun enough to watch. If you could handle it in suite, i like this one better.

Oh yeah definitely. I'm loving this over Suite already so no problems here.

=====================

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - 06

That hit and run by Deko had me rolling. Just more evidence that these two are perfect for each other. :D In other news pillow girl has moved up in the ranks of cuteness.

And is it just me, or could that last scene be seen as
ladle hottie making a pass at Yuuta?
Excited for next week.

Instro

Tonari 6

Damn, Mitty putting everyone on blast this week. The dialogue between characters is always really good in this show, lots of chemistry and everyone plays off each other very well.

But you could fix that!
Not until I've watched Garzey's Wing and finished Rinne and Utena. No more waffling about!

Speaking of Utena, the last set should arrive tomorrow, and I find myself getting incredibly hyped. To think that I was genuinely going to drop it after the Student Council arc. icarus-daedelus am vindicated.

Thoraxes

Not until I've watched Garzey's Wing and finished Rinne and Utena. No more waffling about!

Speaking of Utena, the last set should arrive tomorrow, and I find myself getting incredibly hyped. To think that I was genuinely going to drop it after the Student Council arc. icarus-daedelus am vindicated.

I'm glad you've learned, grasshopper.

Ultimadrago

Kaiji 2

ZAWA ZAWA
Last edited by trejo; Today at 10:54 PM. Reason: ZAWA

ZAWA ZAWA

Never trust your gambles with strangers!

Kaiji makes for a more interesting protagonist than either Toua or the titular character of Akagi because he's flawed and emotional. Rather than always having a perfect plan he's completely confident in that lets him come out on top every time, he's always just barely surviving (hence the subtitle: Ultimate Survivor). The danger of him falling into the abyss always feels real, so you are driven to root for him to surmount both the impossible odds against him and his own folly.

I can't argue with that. The introduction is more interesting right off the bat due to the character. In addition, without Kaiji being perfect, I'm certain stretches of tension will function much better than with gambling gods on Earth.

Fumihiko Tachiki is the best narrator who ever narrated.

So that's his name! Looking at their list on MAL I'm all of a sudden remembering: Gintama's narrator along with some other characters/narrations I'm familiar with. He's doing a great job here.

cajunator

Banned
Tonari 6

Damn, Mitty putting everyone on blast this week. The dialogue between characters is always really good in this show, lots of chemistry and everyone plays off each other very well.

Yeah I love the chemistry.
Im not sure why Tonari seems to work so well but having an entirely likeable cast doesn't hurt.
As said before for Haru, Shizuku, Natsume, or Oshima would all be a great catch for him.
They all rock so hard.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I'm enjoying Tonari, despite the fact that I thought I wouldn't.

I have School Days in queue. Been putting that off for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom