• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Filled it out. Basically made my point quite clear. "No BluRay, no sale"

Wish I could have said that on a Sentai Filmworks one though.

Made my point, more awesome, cheap HD streams. Personally, I don't want anime discs anymore. They cost too much and take up room. If I could pay less to get streaming/downloads of shows, I'd much rather that.

Now, if I really love a show, say Tiger & Bunny, I'll totally be down for some blu-rays. But yeah, no Blu-Ray no sale for me in that case.

More and more with movies and TV, if I want to watch something now, I go to a streaming service. If I can't find it, I just forget about it. It doesn't push me to buy the DVD, I just don't watch it and they don't get my money. Like just today, I wanted to watch Kiki's Delivery Service but don't actually own it on disc. I was disappointed that there was no way for me just to buy or rent it online, so I just didn't watch it. In that case, I may have actually bought the DVD but decided I want to wait for the Blu-Ray to come out. Dear god do I want a giant Ghibli blu-ray set. I'd pay a crazy amount for that.

qm4ip.gif

Though he was doing it mainly to rile people up, which is really easy to do in that thread it seems.

cajunator

Banned
I wouldnt mind watching streams except I want a guarantee that ten years from now I can watch what I want.
Streaming cannot guarantee what owning a physical copy can.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'll admit that when Belldandy said that her duty was to serve what's-that-buttbag's-name and that his wish was her command, impure thoughts entered my head. But they were purely empirical, wondering if she would really do it.

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I BECOME?! YOU'VE BROKEN ME, ANIME-GAF! ARE YOU HAPPY?! ARE YOU FUCKING HAPPY?!

Back to homework and Queen.
And gaffing.

Lol. Mission accomplished.

Just finished episode 15 of SAO. I'm in for a bumpy and incestual ride, aren't I? Everything up until episode 14 was fine except for the fact that the females in the anime are kinda boring so far(and Asuna could be much more).

yami4ct

I wouldnt mind watching streams except I want a guarantee that ten years from now I can watch what I want.

Most stuff, I don't care if I can watch it years in the future. I'm never going back to watch FMA:Brotherhood, School Days, One Piece, etc. It takes a very special show/movie for me to want to own a physical copy. At that point, it's more the feeling of wanting to own than wanting to rewatch. Off the top of my head, Studio Ghibli's stuff and Cowboy Bebop are a few of the only anime I feel strongly enough about to actually want to own. Sadly, neither Bebop or most of Ghibli's stuff are available on Blu-Ray.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What would life be like if ten years from now you couldn't watch Sword Art Online?

Syrinx

I remember asking a while ago how people watch these obscure anime, and you probably watch the most anime here (or at least talk about it the most), so I'll ask you: how do you get your hands on most of the stuff you have? You probably have several anime that can't be found here. Do you import, or have an import shop near you? Hell, I'm having enough trouble finding Cowboy Bebop DVDs.

I don't remember if you answered this, so apologies if you did.

Kagami

Most stuff, I don't care if I can watch it years in the future. I'm never going back to watch FMA:Brotherhood, School Days, One Piece, etc. It takes a very special show/movie for me to want to own a physical copy. At that point, it's more the feeling of wanting to own than wanting to rewatch. Off the top of my head, Studio Ghibli's stuff and Cowboy Bebop are a few of the only anime I feel strongly enough about to actually want to own. Sadly, neither Bebop or most of Ghibli's stuff are available on Blu-Ray.
My threshold's a little lower but this basically describes me.
I've watched a few dozen shows this year but only bought four.

wonzo

Banned
Psycho-Pass 5

Yeah, cool old dudes sure are a dying breed in this medium. Anyways this was actually a pretty good episode even with the "quality" and high-school philosophy shit. The outside stuff actually looked pretty good and the
trip-out holo
stuff was pretty damn neat. I'm guessing the
case that lead to Kougami's demotion has something to do with Makishima who's clearly the set-up for the main antagonist of this series. Speaking of Kougami, I wonder if anyone's translated this yet.

cajunator

Banned
I remember asking a while ago how people watch these obscure anime, and you probably watch the most anime here (or at least talk about it the most), so I'll ask you: how do you get your hands on most of the stuff you have? You probably have several anime that can't be found here. Do you import, or have an import shop near you? Hell, I'm having enough trouble finding Cowboy Bebop DVDs.

I don't remember if you answered this, so apologies if you did.

I dont import.
In Cowboy Bebop's case I own the original Dvds from back when Suncoast was in business.
From 2000-2012 i have pretty much bought stuff every month, so I have acquired a lot of older series.
Sometimes I have to pay quite a bit recently, such as when I picked up Ichigo Mashimaro and the Saint Tail series.
Other times I hit up Ebay and clearance sales at FYE.
Beyond that, a lot of my friends were anime fans going way back and they collected all sorts of stuff that we watched in anime club or going to each others homes.
Basically I had access to several outlets for anime and took advantage of it.

Syrinx

I dont import.
In Cowboy Bebop's case I own the original Dvds from back when Suncoast was in business.
From 2000-2012 i have pretty much bought stuff every month, so I have acquired a lot of older series.
Sometimes I have to pay quite a bit recently, such as when I picked up Ichigo Mashimaro and the Saint Tail series.
Other times I hit up Ebay and clearance sales at FYE.
Beyond that, a lot of my friends were anime fans going way back and they collected all sorts of stuff that we watched in anime club or going to each others homes.
Basically I had access to several outlets for anime and took advantage of it.

Hmm. I have noticed that FYE had a decent sized stock of anime. I'll try to make a trip there sometime soon.

cajunator

Banned
Hmm. I have noticed that FYE had a decent sized stock of anime. I'll try to make a trip there sometime soon.

They have a lot of single volume stuff left over from Suncoast.
You can find volumes for cheap to complete a collection or sample a series for cheap.
However their new boxset prices can be 20$ higher than online.
I was able to buy stuff like Cardcaptor sakura and risky safety while it was still common and not ludicrously expensive due to being oop.
If youd like I can pm you my entire list if you want to find new stuff to watch. There is an incredible amount of anime that has been lost to time, even within the last decade.

Articalys

Robotics;Notes 5

Ah, there's the crazy VN-style plot I was waiting for. Hopefully they'll move forward on this quickly, because really, that's almost all the show's got left for me.

Instro

Psycho Pass 5

Probably the best and most complete episode thus far. Whereas some of the other good episodes were bogged down with long winded explanations, here we are treated to a very solid procedural episode which not only works through the mystery piece by piece but also splits the team up to tackle challenges separately and cooperatively to catch the bad guy. Combine the detective work, with a crazy villain, and some interesting animation and action scenes near the end
(using the holograms was pretty damn cool, I'm glad that technology was set up a couple episodes back)
, and it made for a very good episode of Psycho Pass. As always the music was great, and was used very effectively throughout the episode.

Also, more gore.

Syrinx

They have a lot of single volume stuff left over from Suncoast.
You can find volumes for cheap to complete a collection or sample a series for cheap.
However their new boxset prices can be 20$ higher than online.
I was able to buy stuff like Cardcaptor sakura and risky safety while it was still common and not ludicrously expensive due to being oop.
If youd like I can pm you my entire list if you want to find new stuff to watch. There is an incredible amount of anime that has been lost to time, even within the last decade.

Recommendations are always welcome, but reading your list of anime to watch sounds something akin to reading War and Peace (meant kiddingly, I love ya cajun). I do have some stuff in mind; it's just a matter of getting my hands on them, like the aforementioned Cowboy Bebop. Neon Genesis Evangelion is another.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What is this nonsense.
Yui is the greatest philosopher of our time.

chuuni - 06

Keeps getting better and better.

If this episode didn't cement for you why Nibutani is the best girl in the club, you probably hate America, and by extension, you probably also hate guns, puppies, God, and freedom.
The rest of us are Obama voters and prefer the other Mori (or Rika or SleepyGirl or any of the other characters in the show!).

I don't know, I would say the mansion and apartments existing at the same time kind of goes against the manga.

Like i said last week , it could happen if nagi get back her mansion somehow ..in the manga the mansion is still there with klauss and everything ..the inhabitant of the mansions are the same
( minus hina but in the manga she was supposed to be there just for a set amount of time [to protect athena ] )
.i mean it's obvious by episode 2 and 6 that the relationship nagi have with appartment inhabitants is pretty much already set

if nagi got back her mansion by some other means all of these events could happen.. the fact that they didn't even bother to introduce the new characters ( that haven't appeared in the previous anime adaptations ) might also be another clue.

The only thing so far that doesn't fit is nagi goal of being a mangaka..and if we go by this shot in ep 5 :
it's implied that they did live together during some time..

Morris

Disco Devil
Aim For The Ace! 26 - S1 End

ibke3beDgNgiH1.gif
iNJVzKY1awkHE.gif

Hey, so I finally finished this! That was sick. Munakata coachie bossed out the other coaches hard. Some great tennis animations here. Ochoufujin losing her ribbon thing was super class.

Was dissapointed at the lack of Oka+Toudou though :(

--

Also, since
they haven't subbed Shin Ace wo Nerae,
I need a new old shoujo show to watch. You guys should recommend some stuff. Or maybe I should just start Paradise Kiss or Nana, but I kinda just want to watch old 70s to 90s stuff :<

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aim For The Ace! 26 - S1 End

Also, since
they haven't subbed Shin Ace wo Nerae,
I need a new old shoujo show to watch. You guys should recommend some stuff. Or maybe I should just start Paradise Kiss or Nana, but I kinda just want to watch old 70s to 90s stuff :<

You could watch the jdrama. lol

Syrinx

Ah! My Goddess 2

I get the feeling that the Odd Couple theme song is going to start playing one of these episodes.

Keiichi tried to bail out of a wish quicker than anybody I've ever seen. First I was like, "goddamn, you fucking suck", but, since they can't be separated, I can't say I blame him now. Does this mean she has to be by his side while he's taking a shit or fapping? Cause that would FUCKING SUCK. Worse yet, she can read his mind. Basically, this dude has a girl around him 24/7 who can read his every thought. Least she's nice.

Also, now that I know that he only gets one wish, I retract my dirty mind comment from earlier. If a goddess only granted me one wish, it wouldn't be something dirty. Probably. Speaking of which, if I did get one wish granted to me, I have to admit that the thought of destroying the entire world would at least come to mind. Y'know, just to be a dick.

"Gee, if I tried to explain that she's a goddess who came out of my mirror, I don't think anyone would believe me". Gee, you fucking think, you dumbass?

Belldandy's cool. Could definitely see myself growing very tired of Keiichi's sucking ass, though.

Like i said last week , it could happen if nagi get back her mansion somehow ..in the manga the mansion is still there with klauss and everything ..the inhabitant of the mansions are the same
( minus hina but in the manga she was supposed to be there just for a set amount of time [to protect athena ] )
.i mean it's obvious by episode 2 and 6 that the relationship nagi have with appartment inhabitants is pretty much already set

if nagi got back her mansion by some other means all of these events could happen.. the fact that they didn't even bother to introduce the new characters ( that haven't appeared in the previous anime adaptations ) might also be another clue.

The only thing so far that doesn't fit is nagi goal of being a mangaka..and if we go by this shot in ep 5 :

it's implied that they did live together during some time..

Huh, I never considered it could be ahead of the manga. That would be interesting.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Blasty no Tempest 01

So outside of Chuu2 and Tonari I haven't found a show I really liked yet, Codebreaker has been pretty decent and thats about it. Watched since duckroll wouldn't stop poking me until I did and I should have watched it a lot sooner. That fight scene was awesome and this show is really cool with a really interesting premise and intrigue. Definitely catching up with this one in the very near future.

What about him?
Aguirre was King Jimmy Rustler of the Funny Pics threads. His original claim to infamy was constantly posting, referencing, and urging others to post this picture for reasons unknown. After cementing himself as a monster in the eyes' of many of the threads' inhabitants, he began replying to every post about himself with kawaii uguu~ anime and kpop reaction images. This brought the anime-hate out of slumber and out of the woodwork, including one of everyone's favorite negative associations. Amidst an immutable torrent of whiney shitposting from his detractors, Aguirre was finally temp-banned.

Now, what does that actually have to do with you and the anime thread? I'm not really sure. While likeable to some such as myself, Aguirre was a troll in form and function. It's not like he was simply banned for making some anime-themed posts.

Robotics;Notes 05

Here comes the supernatural stuff. Pretty enjoyable episode dealing with the whole unexplainable stuff. I do wonder how will this tie with the robots stuff that the past episodes have been dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom