• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the New World 4

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit. My only quibble is that they didn't really
show the queerats getting owned by the monk.
It just seems kind of weird to
disregard the doubtlessly brutal killing
given the sense of moral ambiguity that the show is pushing.

I'm probably going to have to rewatch this to properly digest the infodump. I missed the justification for some of Branduil's responses to my episode 1 speculah.

Also, I still can't get over how damn good that ED is.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 098

See you in Valhalla, Galactic Hero.
Reuenthal's death affected me more than Kircheis' or Yang's, at least as far as tears are involved. The latter two were dealt kinda swiftly, their impact on the rest of the story still felt up to this point. I can't shake the feeling that Reuenthal's the one who died in the most lonesome manner, because the only one who will truly mourn his loss will be Mittermeyer. Plus, Norio Wakamoto's delivery of his last night was chilling.

Truniht's death should have happened a long time ago, so Reuenthal getting him in the end got a fist pump from me. Bergengrün's suicide, on the other hand, was something truly depressing. He makes a fair point about how Reinhard is slowly losing all the men around him. What kind of power will his Kaiserdom truly entail once even Mittermeyer is gone? If only Kircheis were still alive...

I was expecting Mittermeyer to at least acknowledge the kid as his, by the way. He should have held him into his arms or something. Oh God I'm bawlin' again.

Also fuck Lang. Fuck Lang a thousand ways. And Oberstein too for good measure.

Kazzy

Oh, you'll get action. In fact, after half or 3/4 of next episode, that's ALL you'll get for the remaining episodes.

Well, that's if they don't dwell on...
THAT DAMN DOOR!

Although I will enjoy everyone's reaction to the 'training-arc' having been completed by the beginning of the new episode!

wait... who are even the good guys that can fight, or are everyone all of a sudden kungfu masters?

I don't think it's a secret at this point, but anyway, they are
"specials". That's to say they can hang to some degree, Zenkichi is supposed to be the only "normal" of the group.

Also, reality isn't something that is adhered to here. This is a show where half of the school gets destroyed in a knockabout fight, and no one really blinks an eye.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Serial of the Soap Opera Heroes 099

A nice, optimistic episode to levy the atmosphere after the heavy events of the past arc. The moral of the story is that there's always a next generation to fight for, and that you shouldn't mourn too much for the dead
even if they are seven-year-old displaced emperors of the old dynasty... yikes.

Julian, go get 'er! RAWR

wonzo

Banned
Yamato 2199 3
yamato21993.jpg
yamato21993a.jpg
yamato21993b.jpg
yamato21993c.jpg

To start off with, the rather cheesy tone of the Op is so completely different from the show that I couldn't help but laugh at how absurd it is. Equally absurd however was the sheer power of that fucking incredibly Wave Motion Gun. Holy shit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Soap Opera of the Galactic Heroes 100

That dress is scandalous. A little bit more sexy please?
Sad that they can't really act like husband and wife among themselves. That surely makes the sexing awkward, however? Do they call themselves by their titles when fabulous maxing each other too?

Annerose's back after who knows how many episodes and she barely plays any role. She was always a pretty passive character, but, as Hilde points out, were it not for her the entire Lohengramm dynasty would have never started. The narrator also makes sure to point out the importance women have on Emperors throughout history, but that doesn't make the whole idea that Empresses are more of a nuisance any less sexist for a 37th century society.

Also in this episode: silly Terraist shit, Oberstein not knowing when to shut his yap, Mittermeyer's opportunity to take on a political role. He would probably be as fair a ruler as Lohengramm is, but will he have the balls to go against autocracy?

And so I reach the home stretch of the show. I'm expecting one more major battle before it's over, but
with the lack of a clear-and-cut militaristic force as an antagonist that remains to be seen
. Can't believe I've watched one hundred episodes nevertheless.

edit: Oh, and Bittenfeld and Müller going all gaga over His Majesty's handsomeness/godliness was hilarious.

cjkeats

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Episode 1

Well, this isn't what I was expecting.
I've never really had interest in the whole "magical girl" thing, but I quite liked Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, and I wanted to see what else Shaft has done. This was easier to find than Hidamari right now.
Every gif/image I've seen of this has been something moe-blobby enough for me to assume it was just a typical magical girl show: girls doing over-exaggerated Sailor Moon moves and being adorable.

Instead this show started off being ominous as fuck. The tone is much creepier (the background music is fantastic) than I was led to believe. Mind you, this was just the first episode, so it's bound to get adorable I'm sure. The animation is fantastic, particularly when they're running away from Homura and everything goes nuts.

So it's gotten my attention, and I'm certainly curious enough to continue.

I've never really had interest in the whole "magical girl" thing, but I quite liked Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, and I wanted to see what else Shaft has done. This was easier to find than Hidamari right now.
Every gif/image I've seen of this has been something moe-blobby enough for me to assume it was just a typical magical girl show: girls doing over-exaggerated Sailor Moon moves and being adorable.

Instead this show started off being ominous as fuck. The tone is much creepier (the background music is fantastic) than I was led to believe. Mind you, this was just the first episode, so it's bound to get adorable I'm sure. The animation is fantastic, particularly when they're running away from Homura and everything goes nuts.

You almost sound unspoiled. That can't be right, can it?

wonzo

Banned
Upotte!! OVA

Man, for a fanservice episode for Upotte!! of all things this was really underwhelming and mediocre outside of one natural hot-spring scene. Oh well, there's always the first episode and the ones in the middle with the crazy lesbian rapist.

Oh and these two shots are perfect examples of typesetting gone very wrong:

You know, as for the episode, I do feel like it's a cop out that they basically
don't admit their feelings to each other and that it's all implied. Maybe teaching young girls to kiss is a horrible thing that corrupts youth or whatever, but I really expected some kind of smooch to end the show... not an over-glorified handshake that is less sexual than the finger-sex found in Rinne.

To be fair I have never seen anything more sexual than the finger-sex going on in Rinne

I'm just about to start this show aswel, lets watch it together!

Kagami

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou / Sakura-sou no Petto na Kanojo 1-2

Went into this expecting another standard harem show like OniAi, but it turned out to be something rather different.
I can see were the Toradora comparisons are coming from, although it's not a Toradora clone, either.
The male lead isn't as interesting a Ryuuji but this show may have some potential.

I'm more excited than I should be about you watching this, hahaha.

In other news... The IdolM@ster 15.

I definitely wasn't expecting this series to have any kind of real
antagonist
, so this is a really pleasant surprise. Though I suppose the entire series up until now can be described in those words. I'm excited for them to finally sit down and go through Chihaya's past, though right now I'm way more psyched for a Makoto focused episode. She's like every single female friend I've ever had, so I can't help that she caught my eye. =P

I also love how consistently great looking the show is. It's just a pleasure to watch.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de 01

FantasyZone_chan.jpg

I must go play Fantasy Zone RIGHT NOW!!!

So weird how this concept actually got animated. Link is a total douche, Sonic's about what I'd expect, etc.

And now I know why I'm such a perv. All those years playing Tetris... I shoulda known.

Maedhros

I haven't watched it either. I don't like the artwork tbh.

The "moe" designs are pretty weird, the worst aspect of this show. Regardless, It's a top notch anime, no matter. The visuals actually makes everything even better, since you are expecting something else when you start seeing it, so it's kinda acceptable.

If there's one anime I give a 10/10, it's Madoka.

BTW, I only hate moe for the sake of having fans saying "OMG, cute" and insipid shit like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom