• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

Magi 3-

This execution really feels subpar.

I agree but I'm not exactly sure why. If I have time, I think I might rewatch episodes 1-3 and see if I can give more definite reasons why, but at this point I would just say it's due to uninspired shot compositions and a poor sense of tempo. In my opinion, it's been an overall directing problem, and I'm not sure it's because they tried to stuff too much in three episodes or if the director is just weak.

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of unspoiled Madoka I'm pretty unspoiled on it. I saw 3 episodes of it months ago and never continued so I'm basically fresh.

If there is one show you should continue its Madoka.
Its seriously good.
I was hounding one of my friends to watch it for a while and when we finally marathoned it at his house it became one of his favorite animes.

duckroll

I agree but I'm not exactly sure why. If I have time, I think I might rewatch episodes 1-3 and see if I can give more definite reasons why, but at this point I would just say it's due to uninspired shot compositions and a poor sense of tempo. In my opinion, it's been an overall directing problem, and I'm not sure it's because they tried to stuff too much in three episodes or if the director is just weak.

There are several reasons for this. The director is actually a pretty experienced guy who has worked on several notable productions, unfortunately Magi is just the wrong sort of material for him, and it was a concern since they announced the staff. The biggest problem though, is not how much material they tried to put in the episodes, but how they went about doing it.

This is just a poor adaptation all round, aside from the production values. The writing is poor, the composition of the story is poor, the flow of the narrative is disjointed and lacks clarity and momentum, and as a result the first 3 episodes feel more like a sort of highlights reel rather than a solid introduction to the characters and story.

Really disappointing honestly.

And that's where the train leaves the station.

madoka-magica-8i5qrs.jpg

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Episode 1

Well, this isn't what I was expecting.
I've never really had interest in the whole "magical girl" thing, but I quite liked Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari, and I wanted to see what else Shaft has done. This was easier to find than Hidamari right now.
Every gif/image I've seen of this has been something moe-blobby enough for me to assume it was just a typical magical girl show: girls doing over-exaggerated Sailor Moon moves and being adorable.

Instead this show started off being ominous as fuck. The tone is much creepier (the background music is fantastic) than I was led to believe. Mind you, this was just the first episode, so it's bound to get adorable I'm sure. The animation is fantastic, particularly when they're running away from Homura and everything goes nuts.

So it's gotten my attention, and I'm certainly curious enough to continue.

Nice! Looking forward to your future impressions!

Emitan

Homoerotic Girl Utena 25

New ending! And stairway climb! I don't get what those weird distractions during council meetings are. And this episode was filled with masculine homolust.

sonicmj1

Homoerotic Girl Utena 25

New ending! And stairway climb! I don't get what those weird distractions during council meetings are. And this episode was filled with masculine homolust.

Symbolism. Symbolism everywhere. I didn't understand half of it either.

Honestly, even after you finish Utena, it doesn't strictly make sense. But it does provide answers, and it makes sense emotionally, which is what really matters.

Gonna watch Adolescence Apocalypse at around 8 PM EST. Looking forward to it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Symbolism. Symbolism everywhere. I didn't understand half of it either.

Honestly, even after you finish Utena, it doesn't strictly make sense. But it does provide answers, and it makes sense emotionally, which is what really matters.
Watch it again and more things will click. The meaning of many scenes will also change.

OceanBlue

There are several reasons for this. The director is actually a pretty experienced guy who has worked on several notable productions, unfortunately Magi is just the wrong sort of material for him, and it was a concern since they announced the staff. The biggest problem though, is not how much material they tried to put in the episodes, but how they went about doing it.

This is just a poor adaptation all round, aside from the production values. The writing is poor, the composition of the story is poor, the flow of the narrative is disjointed and lacks clarity and momentum, and as a result the first 3 episodes feel more like a sort of highlights reel rather than a solid introduction to the characters and story.

Really disappointing honestly.
This is just my personal bias speaking, but I attribute some of this to the manga. I had some of the same issues with the first two volumes of the manga and, to be honest, I don't think the manga had a good first arc and I don't think it really hits its stride until the start of Balbadd (although the Kouga arc wasn't bad).

That being said, I definitely agree with the idea that the flow of the narrative is out of joint. Things just kinda happen without a strong sense of a larger picture. I don't feel like tension or "feeling" is ever carried over properly from scene to scene, which is something I feel the director is responsible for.

Episode two really suffers from this. because they tried to increase the tension of some scenes like the ones where Ugo fights the insects and when Alibaba rescues Aladdin, but the tension immediately disappears in the next scenes. Episode three suffers from the same thing and it's all one big scene! Well, these are just my personal impressions on how things have been going so far. Magi has so much potential in the future arcs that it makes me sad that it's turning out like this.

survivor

Banned
My Little Monster 3

I have a bad feeling about
the evil Haru clone that showed up near the end. I hope he doesn't ruin the series by becoming the typical villain or whatever.
The comedy was still great in this episode and Shizuku's faces was great.

fertygo

After watching episode 3, I think the biggest problem that Magi's anime had is lack of respect to the key moment in the manga. They're tone down so many intense moment for whatever reason.. Look to JoJo's anime, even with so much difference in production value, they make sure the key moment can deliver, and JoJo's adaptation is also moving with blazing pace.

I don't feel much problem with the pacing in Magi's anime tbh, I enjoyed two first episode a lot.. but on 3rd episode the problematic tendency finally annoy me. Duckroll's right even after the pace slowing down, will they stop doing this tendency that they showing so far? I'm worried.. the sign is not good.

This still one of better show this season though, still very entertaining especially I imagine if you hasn't read the manga yet.

Yamato 2199 3

To start off with, the rather cheesy tone of the Op is so completely different from the show that I couldn't help but laugh at how absurd it is. Equally absurd however was the sheer power of that fucking incredibly Wave Motion Gun. Holy shit.

Don't worry, in the relatively recent movie, the new yamato has a revolver based version thata can fire off six.

Also
it's strong enough to blow up black holes, cuz science.

Magi 3

Although not as strong as the previous episode, this was still quite good. The weakest aspect of the episode was the pacing, which occasionally felt a bit too rushed, particularly evident in how hastily
Amon's dungeon was cleared
, but, thankfully, this didn't heavily detract from the story.

Though short,
Alibaba and Jamil's
fight was excellently choreographed and well-animated. The characters are thoroughly compelling, particularly Alibaba, and I'm looking forward to finding out more about his intriguing past. Even though they're
separated at the end
, the gradual development of Aladdin and Alibaba's friendship, as well as their interactions, has been handled quite well. Morgiana is a very interesting character, so I hope
she finds her way back to the others soon
. The introduction of
Judal
, another
magi
, was quite exciting, since it seems as though he could be the
main antagonist in the future

The production values remain the strongest, most consistent element of the show, especially the animation, as it's particularly great during the action sequences. The adventurous tone of the story complements the arabian setting really well, which is essentially illuminated by the highly atmospheric music. The direction, however, wasn't up to it's usual quality, which is unfortunate, since there were several scenes of great importance that could have clearly been portrayed in a more effective manner.

All in all, despite some slight flaws in the execution of the narrative, Magi continues to impress. As such, it remains highly enjoyable, and, up to this point, I'm rather satisfied with the development of the characters and the story, but I do hope it slows down slightly moving forward.

survivor

Banned
Kamisama Kiss 3

Eh, I'm not sure if I like the message of the episode.
The Priestess is just deceiving the guy make herself look human to be able to be with him. I don't know, it just feels wrong and I would have preferred it if she actually revealed herself to him.

Anyway, it seems like this series is trying to be Natsume lite with more comedy which is something I like a lot. I do hope that if they get to the more sentimental stories they will be as good as Natsume.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That promotional image is official and was added some time ago to the webpage about the project on Zag Inc., site (http://www.zagtoon.com/?p=shows&s=ladybug). It is in English because they have been promoting it as an exportable franchise since they've started trying to sell it at international fairs dedicated to this type of contents businesses (remember the post I wrote some time ago on this matter, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42505901&postcount=15152).

Another thing to comment would be the more recently added "& CGI SERIES" part of the title's description, along with another image to the gallery... have the plans to make this series an accompaniment to the 3DCGI feature film (that has been in the works more time than this) changed? Are they gonna mix footage from the two? Are they referring to the franchise in general on that description with two different series planned? Now it makes it sound more cryptic!

If they ever merge the two projects into one in any capacity, I quit France-ime. Not that I ever started, but still...

Kamisama Kiss 3

Eh, I'm not sure if I like the message of the episode.
The Priestess is just deceiving the guy make herself look human to be able to be with him. I don't know, it just feels wrong and I would have preferred it if she actually revealed herself to him.

Anyway, it seems like this series is trying to be Natsume lite with more comedy which is something I like a lot. I do hope that if they get to the more sentimental stories they will be as good as Natsume.

In my opinion , the message is that
love doesn't matter between species .. and can get past all the deceptions once they will know each other better
A reveal would have made impossible that this story finishes in one episode given the pacing they opted..
I do hope they come back on these characters later in the show

Hanamaru Youchien 5
I was going to berate Anzu's mother again for letting Anzu go out on her own, but she actually does watch over them, if not in a very creepy way. So the kids go spying on Tsuchi, and find out he's a pervert with no social life.
Then Koume gets a crush on an older boy in the school, and tries her best to confess her feelings for him. Very cute that part was.
Show isn't so bad so far. I hope to see some Gainaxing next episode.
vlcsnap-2012-10-21-11sok8b.png

Yes, we get it already, you guys made Evangelion. We know.

Grzi

Is it weird that all I can think about after watching The Raid earlier today (with my dad lol) is how amazing the action scenes would look if animated by Yutaka Nakamura?

Great movie btw

Jex

I forgot to discuss the best part of [Code:Breaker]-3, this scene:

CodeBreaker31.jpg

CodeBreaker32.jpg

CodeBreaker33.jpg

codebreaker.gif

Ladies and gentleman, I present our hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom