• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
A couple of other random thoughts about Chuu2Byou 07 that I just remembered after rewatching (i.e. the ending made me completely forget to mention in my initial impressions)

This episode also revealed the backstory behind a few of Rikka's repeated terms. "The Overseers" are her grandparents, and when she calls Tooka "A Priestess working for the Overseers" she's basically saying that Tooka's on their side (or at least she thinks that to be the case). The Ethereal Horizon she's chasing is just the desire to see her father again.

OceanBlue

It seems as if Chuunibyou's episode 8 director is Oota Rika.
ultimatemegax from Animesuki said:
Episode staff breakdown (minus scripts; all were done by Hanada):

[...]

Episodes 3/9:
Director/Storyboards: Noriyuki Kitanohara
Animation Director: Nobuaki Maruki
Another KyoAni veteran director (did many great dramatic episodes like After Story 24, Haruhi - Sigh IV, and Clannad 19) but interestingly paired with Maruki, who's first animation director credit was for Nichijou 25 (the friendship episode/Mio's long run). Both worked together in Hyouka to start the Baka arc and the Heli episode. Could we see more from this combination? They seem good for plot development arcs (not beginnings nor endings).

[...]

Episode 8:
Director/Storyboards: Rika Oota

Animation Director: Chise Kamoi
Again, newcomers to KyoAni. Oota's only directing has been the Hyouka OVA and episode 20. Kamoi's had a few animation directing credits, but the only time they've worked together was episode 20 of Hyouka. I was impressed with that episode. It seems logical to assign an episode titled The Two's... to the same group who were able to execute a Hyouka episode focusing on Oreki/Chitanda interactions.

Episode 10:
Director/Storyboards: Yasuhiro Takemoto
Animation Director: Nao Naitou
Do I even need to talk about Takemoto? He's served as a wonderful supervisor in the Full Metal Panic and Hyouka series, he's directed many wonderful episodes in nearly all of KyoAni's works, and he's a bro. His partner, Naitou, has only done animation directing in two Hyouka episodes, rounding out the Kanya Fest arc. This should be interesting to see. I doubt we'll see this combo again.

And so that leaves us with two episodes' staff to speculate. Ishihara is clearly absent, so I wonder if we'll see him in episode 12 to finish this series or not. If not, who does he trust it to? Ichidate is also missing in action after finishing Hyouka, so he's also a candidate. Could we also see DO's top team again? How about Yamada? For animation directing, we've not seen Ikeda, Horiguchi, or Nishiya in Chuunibyou. I'm curious who'll get the climax portion of KyoAni's second original series.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4428705&postcount=27
I bring this up because, with the developments in episode 7, I feel like episode 8 can be really important and that it has the potential to be a lot more emotionally charged than episodes 11.5 and 20 of Hyouka. I'm interested in seeing how Oota handles it. That being said, I guess there's always the possibly of a cooling down and a slowing down before another dramatic development, and judging by Oota's episodes of Hyouka and Kitanohara's work, that could be possible. (The more Kitanohara episodes I go back and look at, the more I feel that he (she?) is in charge of a lot of slower episodes).

Well, there's also the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm probably just namedropping at this point.

Speaking of namedropping, holy crap Takemoto is directing episode 10! :D

Also, does something happen later in the manga that
changes JoJo's personality? I recall him being a lot quieter, calmer, cooler in the OVA. He's currently annoying.
. Yes or no, no details please.

There are currently 8 parts in the series, each one starring a different JoJo. The OVA's JoJo is Jotaro Kujo,
Jonathan's great great grandson.

The series itself also changes drastically at part 3 (what the OVA covers), adopting a completely different means of fighting.

fertygo

The Next JoJo also gonna own, much more exciting character than Jonathan. (Which designed to being series icon than actual character, the first Belmont kinda stuff)

Hayate no Gotoku: Eye Rape 7

YEAH, FUMI! Too bad she didn't get to take part in the quiz like she did in the manga, which was A LOT funnier than what we got here. Still good though.

Also, what the hell is going on?

Theonik

The Black Rose arc was godly except for all things Tsuwabuki related. Thank god Nanami is so perfect to balance him out.
Tsuwabuki got an awesome duel and dueling theme. I wouldn't say even that was bad!
Black Rose arc was probably my favourite Utena arc. Though...
Akio's car shenanigans were great too

Cwarrior

I haven't been watching anime much lately. I'm up to the latest My Little Monster and I'm getting frustrated with Shizuku. Just fucking date him!

6096.gif

My Little Monster 7
tumblr_mde79yW6WU1r3y347o1_500.gif

Yamaken and crew need more screentime and Haru needs to interact with them. It seems the anime continues to diminish his interaction with non female characters, I cant even remember the last time he even had screentime with Sasayan. megane anchou is a dead end route so the screentime is kind of pointless even if she is > than boring Shizuku. And on Shizuku, seven episodes in and I think its safe to say that she is definitely in the running for being the most boring female character of the season award, down there with Mor (magi), and Shima (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou), and Medaka (Medaka Box Abnormal). I dont think I will ever see what Haru sees in her, certainly not someone Id pursue consistently like that who just has all these awkward weird rules for just not interacting with him, who puts minor exam grades over accepting the feelings of a one in a million type of guy you meet? Crazy.

Sad scene with his Aunt though, I liked that backstory which I hope we get more scenes of Kid Haru just to see how he became how he is

Theonik

I've never
wanted to learn to drive stick so much in my life.
You should learn anyway. It's not that hard and it's awesome. The most important element which is hopping on the hood of the car while being bishounen total and the car is still driving is sadly much harder to accomplish. :(

Enron

Banned
I could smell all of this coming 3 episodes ago. As soon as I saw the
radio in her room, i knew exactly what she was going to say 3 seconds later. I've seen Frequency, lol

I'm glad this show actually turned out to be about something very real
(anyone that has ever lost a parent, especially young, can relate to this)
instead of just cute moe romcom antics.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
A couple of other random thoughts about Chuu2Byou 07 that I just remembered after rewatching (i.e. the ending made me completely forget to mention in my initial impressions)

This episode also revealed the backstory behind a few of Rikka's repeated terms. "The Overseers" are her grandparents, and when she calls Tooka "A Priestess working for the Overseers" she's basically saying that Tooka's on their side (or at least she thinks that to be the case). The Ethereal Horizon she's chasing is just the desire to see her father again.
Deeper than Madoka.

Jex

Your memory is insane, props for that.

My problem w/ JoJo isn't the setting or the plot. In fact, those things are why I wanted to get into it. My beef is more like:
[...]
^ Stuff like that is fine if it's making fun of other genres, but it's not a joke if the punchline never comes, so it's just kind of bad (not terrible, but bad). I understand the shounen genre is rife with simplicity, but ffs this is like a poorly executed parody. I read about 12 chapters of the manga before the season started and it was slightly better because the faces were pretty funny looking.

It's not a parody or homage, it just happens to be written in a very particular, old comic book style manner. I don't think there's anything wrong with such exaggerated inflections and over-the-top characters if the end result is entertaining - and it certainly is entertaining.

Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date! 7
oGrRz.gif

That was one of the most depressing beach episode ever. I want to say more, but I just don't have it in me right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Soma

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Episode 07

Oh hey a beach episode but with some actual plot development.

And not just PLOT

or plot

But plot!

Anyhow this wasn't bad. The show had been hinting at something like this for a while and it was pretty obvious that eventually we would get a more definitive reason as to why Rikka acts the way she does. I was expecting something a bit more grimdark but the whole story was fairly interesting with the way she had been dealing with it. I'm curious to see where the story goes next and how Rikka and Yuuta will progress after that. I have to say I'm also liking how their relationship has been progressing lately too.

Also, dayum Touka.

igplz911f6en9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom