• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Saw the first ep of little busters. Was awful. Saw the second ep, and burst out in laughter when he said he had narcolepsy. By the third ep I had enough. But still can't stop laughing at narcolepsy. OH SHIT HE FELL ASLEEP, SOMEONE CALL 911. Gimmie a break.
Don't worry, it gets even funnier.

(But really, don't listen to the jerks who told you to watch School Days in the hopes of getting "lolz" impressions out of you. If what you list is all that you've seen, you should try, say, Cowboy Bebop or Baccano or Kaiji.)
He wanted something unique, serious, and original and School Days fits that to a T. Although the other shows you listed are also a p. good start.

Dresden

Considering how Nibutani x Dog is shaping up you could add chu2koi to that list.

chuunishit - 07

Bad.

Even without the comedy stuff I don't know how the drama would come across. It's so sappy and maudlin. Really feels KEY.

Jex

All jokes aside, there's nothing inherently bad about the concept of a story that focuses around an incestuous relationship, it just happens to be that 99% of all stories that are told around this subject in anime is terrible wish fulfilment crap for an otaku audience. If you approach the same concept from a different angle with a different tone you can end up with something far better.

Uchip

Banned
All jokes aside, there's nothing inherently bad about the concept of a story that focuses around an incestuous relationship, it just happens to be that 99% of all stories that are told around this subject in anime is terrible wish fulfilment crap for an otaku audience.

oldboy is a concept that isnt easy to reproduce

wonzo

Banned
Considering how Nibutani x Dog is shaping up you could add chu2koi to that list.
chuu27b.jpg

love at first lick

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Watched the first two eps of Chu2. Pretty cute show I guess, Rikka is pretty annoying though, so far - but cute. I love her VA, whoever it is.

I also just hooked up my PS3 to my PC and streamed an episode of SAO in 1080p through the PS3 Media Server program. This shit is ridonk! I looks almost identical to a BD, I can't believe how clear it is. I'm used to watching on my monitor, but fuck that now.

Uchip

Banned
I also just hooked up my PS3 to my PC and streamed an episode of SAO in 1080p through the PS3 Media Server program. This shit is ridonk! I looks almost identical to a BD, I can't believe how clear it is. I'm used to watching on my monitor, but fuck that now.

I used to do that
Media Server is great, but has trouble playing certain files

Sure. Will give Tsuritama another chance and watch a few more episodes.
Have added Mononoke & School Days to my Watch List. Thanks guys.

I highly doubt it. Haven't found a single anime as good as DN (if I ignore everything after episode 25). My second favourite is Full Metal Alchemist, followed by One Piece and Naruto. Have actually stopped following the latter two though. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this >_>

Will try Fate Zero. Psycho Pass has a nice concept but the first episode didn't intrigue me much.

If you like One Piece and Naruto, I would recommend you check out this thread I made. Now there is a lot there that is only manga and doesn't have an anime, but there's a bunch that does.

Anyway, I would recommend Kaiji, One Outs, and maybe Mirai Nikki if you like Death Note.

cajunator

Banned
Watched the first two eps of Chu2. Pretty cute show I guess, Rikka is pretty annoying though, so far - but cute. I love her VA, whoever it is.

"yuuta....itai!"

So.
Fucking.
CUTE.

Exentryk

I will try to refrain from making the comments I could make here.

(But really, don't listen to the jerks who told you to watch School Days in the hopes of getting "lolz" impressions out of you. If what you list is all that you've seen, you should try, say, Cowboy Bebop or Baccano or Kaiji.)

I've seen about 10 episodes of Cowboy Bebop, and while it is an okay show, it didn't intrigue me. It's not a "I can't-wait-to-watch" anime for me. Baccano looks similar to it.

I have seen Kaiji however, and it is pretty decent. I recall reading the manga, and even the live action movie? Not a bad watch.

I might as well give all those recommendations a go, and I'll eventually work out whose tastes are most similar to mine, among you all. Then, it would only be a matter of asking that person his favourite animes ;]

Saint Seiya Omega 32

Why is it always the Cancer saint that brings the disturbing shit? Fighting reanimated corpses may be light shit to us, but you don't see it in kid shows too often.

Jubern

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1-26

I don't think outstanding even starts to describe this, as a mecha fan I'm simply ashamed I never took the time to watch it before. Then again, it's nothing your mileage 80s/90s mecha anime at all, rather something that will appeal to more hardcore SF fans.
I'm considering recommending it to some friends who aren't that much into anime but love SF in general.

Episode 26 was a magnificent closure to the series first quarter and hit me pretty hard.
I seriously had to restrain my tears when Reinhard asked Annerose if she loved Kircheis.

So pumped for what comes next.

Exentryk

If you like One Piece and Naruto, I would recommend you check out this thread I made. Now there is a lot there that is only manga and doesn't have an anime, but there's a bunch that does.

Anyway, I would recommend Kaiji, One Outs, and maybe Mirai Nikki if you like Death Note.

I feel I am over the fighting/battle anime genre, but I may find something worthwhile. Have subbed. Thanks.
Have seen a couple of episodes of Mirai Nikki, but didn't get into it. One Outs is sports related which I don't watch.

Btw, what's everyone's take on Bunny Drop anime. Simple as it was, I quite liked it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Btw, what's everyone's take on Bunny Drop anime. Simple as it was, I quite liked it.

I loved Usagi Drop. It was quite refreshing to watch directly after finishing Madoka. I wish it were longer (not "going into part 2 of the manga" longer, mind you), as I really liked the characters and wanted to spend more time with them.

I feel I am over the fighting/battle anime genre, but I may find something worthwhile. Have subbed. Thanks.
Have seen a couple of episodes of Mirai Nikki, but didn't get into it. One Outs is sports related which I don't watch.

I'm not a fan of sports stuff either, but One Outs is pretty good nonetheless. It's not even so much about the sport as it is mind games that have to do with outside factors as a means to win. It's pretty much Death Note in a baseball stadium.

Exentryk

I loved Usagi Drop. It was quite refreshing to watch directly after finishing Madoka. I wish it were longer (not "going into part 2 of the manga" longer, mind you), as I really liked the characters and wanted to spend more time with them.

:D

I'm not a fan of sports stuff either, but One Outs is pretty good nonetheless. It's not even so much about the sport as it is mind games that have to do with outside factors as a means to win. It's pretty much Death Note in a baseball stadium.

Might be worth a try then. Cheers.

cajunator

Banned

Bunny Drop is god-tier happy fun squee time. Its feel good awesomeness food for the soul.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ginga e Kickoff! 26

HOLYFUCKWHATTHEWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You can tell the animators had a lot of fun making this one. It was basically a training arc condensed with a "let's be nakama now" story arc all in twenty minutes, but it didn't feel rush at any moment. Not only did they have the decency to animate the obstacle course race, but they also made the regular character interactions between Aoto and Kota really lively.

I'm just surprised they were able to find so much budget for a non-football episode. Hopefully this doesn't mean we'll have a downturn in quality later on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly, with scenes that have tons of pans, I just go for file size over accuracy and take out some of the panning. Usually I clip every third frame. It sucks not being able to be completely accurate but I don't think most people notice.
Oh believe me I cut out what I can. I was trying to keep them at 500 pixel wide since that what was originally posted and 128 colours, but I was trying to keep as many frames as possible. So my gifs are a bigger, but smoother.

And I tend to go for 0.04 per frame, but sometimes 0.03 works if you want it a little faster.

It turns out that was actually posted by him before the first magazine pictures of the S2 announcement, so it's unrelated. The whole confusing timeline is something like:

Initial rumors of Azazel S2 -> author denies those rumors -> first magazine pic leak -> mixup due to some blog reposting the earlier denial -> 2nd magazine pic leak -> confirmed by natalie.mu.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. Now I can put down the picket sign.

Nothin' to say, I'll just take the bottom of the page.
And this is why you end up on The Wall.

Robotics;Notes 5

WcCafe?

That's the most common copyright avoidance name in anime. Why are you so surprised? I even call it WcDonaldsafication.

Dat lack of presence! Hnnng! ;P
Great for people who want to buy merchendise by afraid to put it on display. No one will notice it.

I put in a temporary order. WHAT HAVE I DONE!?

Always there to bear-ighten your day.
That was very paw.

Resistance is futile.
Guess I should switch to.
iZoDrIG7MCK9L.png

It's gotta be the hair.
Can't argue with that. Shoulder length is one of the God Tiers.

So this giant plush was sold out a week after I first saw it and mulled over buying it. For 300 dollars though, I assume it's pretty hefty. :p
Imagine the shipping costs. Imagine the look on bloke at the sorting office's face when he hands it over to you.

RurouniZel, please, change your avatar, take this....
This is why I should read a thread to completion before opening Photoshop.

Oh well.
WB2VK.png

Watching K-On!! 09 right now, and it's kind of surreal seeing these characters studying for the final exam considering my own students are currently doing the exact same thing. "We've already made the test!" *class collectively* "Eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh????" I know them feels kids. I know them feels.

The whole show is actually doing a shockingly good job at capturing how normal/weird everyday life in school can be. God, I never thought I'd say that. Hahahaha.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1-26

I don't think outstanding even starts to describe this, as a mecha fan I'm simply ashamed I never took the time to watch it before. Then again, it's nothing your mileage 80s/90s mecha anime at all, rather something that will appeal to more hardcore SF fans.
I'm considering recommending it to some friends who aren't that much into anime but love SF in general.

Episode 26 was a magnificent closure to the series first quarter and hit me pretty hard.
I seriously had to restrain my tears when Reinhard asked Annerose if she loved Kircheis.

So pumped for what comes next.

Yeah, season one ending was totally unexpected, like many things in the show.

wonzo

Banned
Polar Bear Cafe 33

polarbear33.jpg

this episode pretty much started off with sakuga toku penguins. 10/10 as it really doesn't get any better than that. well, until this happened:

polarbear33a.jpg

11/10

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My Little Precure: Smile is Magic 01

So we have our new protagonist, Pinkie Pie, running late to her first day to school after being transferred from WhoKnowsFuckVille, Japan. Apparently she woke up so late that she didn''t even have time to pick up her breakfast, as we all know all Japanese people eat while on their commutes. What that entails for her ten-year old physique is probably a bad idea considering she's gonna be fighting all sorts of giant monsters soon, but whatevs. Point is she finds some plush that talks and she's all like "WOAH THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL AT ALL", but then she gets distracted by a shiny and that means fuck-all.

School-time! Apparently our Pinkie Pie has troubles introducing herself to the class, but that's okay! Your Friendly Neighbourhood Rainbow Dash is here to embarrass you about your lack of speech-awareness, you silly mare! Of course we can forgive such laziness in storytelling because the scene also serves as shorthand to introduce us to a multi-coloured Sailor Moon wannabe-cosplayers that got rejected on their way to the latest Comiket. My, I'm sure schools in Japan must be rad if they allow that much individuality in terms of uniform colouring. It's not like we want the kids to conform to a social standard of rectitude between alumni and academia, nope.

So things happen and Pinkie Pie ends up fucking shit up in the library because she's so genki and curious and that never leads to bad things in story boo--oh. And that's when shit goes bananas.

Overall, I thought it was a much stronger opener than Heartcatch. Pinkie Pie's cheerfulness is not unlike Tsubomi's optimism at the beginning of that show, but Umakoshicure decided to take the long road with her character and don't let her sort her Pretty Cure issues out until the second episode. A lot of characterisation is lost by jumping straight into the meats of the magical girlishness, but that's precisely what we want! We already know being the new pony in town is harsh! Let's jump straight into the fancy transformations (though not as fancy as Heartcatch's) and glowy shiny beamy heart-rays of DOOM (ditto!). It's like you know where to hit me, Toei.

Re: Op and Ed: Hearcatch's songs were heartcatchier, but the less stylised character design of Smile makes the models less off-putting to watch on first glimpse. I certainly won't be skipping these anytime soon, but it's still pretty sad that we are dealing with PSX-era level CGI here. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's OP, for instance, has better model animation, though that might be due to outsourcing to a company that actually knows what the fuck they are doing.

edit: On second thoughts, Smile's CGI is growing on me.

Oh god, K-On!! episode 10 is killing me. The note passing sequence is absolutely fucking perfect.

My students are so hilariously awful at being subtle that I literally just stare at them as they pass notes back and forth, thinking they're being really sneaky. Spoilers: turning to stare at the recipient of your note makes it REALLY obvious. Hahahaha. That, and nobody just passes scraps of paper. Everybody uses really nice stationary with cute shit on it.

I'm convinced there's some note passing store out there that supplies nice paper to school girls.

OceanBlue

Oh god, K-On!! episode 10 is killing me. The note passing sequence is absolutely fucking perfect.

My students are so hilariously awful at being subtle that I literally just stare at them as they pass notes back and forth, thinking they're being really sneaky. Spoilers: turning to stare at the recipient of your note makes it REALLY obvious. Hahahaha. That, and nobody just passes scraps of paper. Everybody uses really nice stationary with cute shit on it.

I'm convinced there's some note passing store out there that supplies nice paper to school girls.

Wow. Most of that was something I could understand, but this is just different. I can't imagine girls in the US having nice stationary just to pass notes, or using anything other than scrap paper. Maybe it was just my high school.

duckroll

So what's MAPPA working on these days besides Teekyu? Making more commercials and shorts apparently.

Here's the Toyota concept video for their Ha:mo navigational system which went on Youtube yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXyAK3X46U

And here's the 8min Komachi and Dangorou short directed by Hisashi Abe which went on Youtube today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwTByJBVZW0

Official sites for both projects:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/jpn/tech/its/hamo/?wapr=50a4ca64
http://www.manganime-niigata.jp/animetion.html

-----

I hope that taking up these projects are profitable for MAPPA, because otherwise I don't really see any value in them. It just seems like... scrub work. :(

OceanBlue

So what's MAPPA working on these days besides Teekyu? Making more commercials and shorts apparently.

Here's the Toyota concept video for their Ha:mo navigational system which went on Youtube yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXyAK3X46U

And here's the 8min Komachi and Dangorou short directed by Hisashi Abe which went on Youtube today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwTByJBVZW0

Official sites for both projects:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/jpn/tech/its/hamo/?wapr=50a4ca64
http://www.manganime-niigata.jp/animetion.html

-----

I hope that taking up these projects are profitable for MAPPA, because otherwise I don't really see any value in them. It just seems like... scrub work. :(

Wow, there are snippets of pretty nice animation in the Hisashi Abe short. If I had more time, I'd make some GIFs.

Where did MAPPA come from, anyway? I had never heard of them before Kids on the Slope, so for me they kinda just appeared out of nowhere. It feels like I always hear about talented people doing stuff for them, so it sounds like they're special.

BluWacky

Where did MAPPA come from, anyway? I had never heard of them before Kids on the Slope, so for me they kinda just appeared out of nowhere.

Kids on the Slope was their first major work. MAPPA was founded by Masao Maruyama, one of the original founders of Madhouse; he left Madhouse after nearly 30 years to form MAPPA. Someone better informed than me can probably advise whether Maruyama left Madhouse because the TV channel NTV bought the majority of shares in the company, or whether that was ancillary to him deciding to move on (or even a result of his leaving).

sonicmj1

Space Bros 28

zzzzzzz

launch it already

Chuunibyou 7

Impressive.

iTUh7a35rqFuM.png

This one shot during Yuuta's conversation with Touka does a ton for the grandfather's character. That whole sequence was very well-directed.

I guess I can understand some of the claims of tonal dissonance (this is a case where I feel like Dekomori's hyper-exaggerated personality hurt things a bit), but I'm glad the show went down this road. This builds off of the stuff in episode 5 really nicely. There's a lot of stupid fun to be had here, but there's also meaning behind the madness.

ibsSdSZYFtgTKT.png

Something about Yuuta and Rikka's escape gave me a great rush of childlike adventure and freedom. Maybe it's something about the night, the glittering sea, and the wider panning shots of the coast. I dunno, but it was the right mood to strike.

There are a lot of shots in the buildup to the climax that I liked a lot. I just wonder how the show can wind down from this.

OceanBlue

Kids on the Slope was their first major work. MAPPA was founded by Masao Maruyama, one of the original founders of Madhouse; he left Madhouse after nearly 30 years to form MAPPA. Someone better informed than me can probably advise whether Maruyama left Madhouse because the TV channel NTV bought the majority of shares in the company, or whether that was ancillary to him deciding to move on (or even a result of his leaving).

Oh, I see. I was wondering if MAPPA was another one of those studios whose staff had a lot of people who left another studio, like Ordet was, if it was a studio like A-1, or if it was just really out of nowhere. It's interesting to know that it was founded by a founder of Madhouse. I guess that explains Kids on the Slope. I'll definitely need to pay attention to this studio.

kamisama hajimemashita - 7

why did everything in this episode looked so cheap ?
were they keeping their money to animate the upcoming beach episode ? i hope so because this episode overall was kinda disapointing even if i enjoyed nanami antics in the first part ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom