• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

You can't discount the infinite range of emotions displayed by her blank face, as well. I think it's something that only Real Fans can appreciate though.

I definitely do not pretend to be a Real Fan of Rei. Heck, I don't even know if I qualify as anything more than a "fan" of NGE. I mean, I really love the series and the characters, but I'm no True Scotsman.

Medaka Box Abnormal 6

Been said a bunch already, but Naze's voice is PERFECT. It fits the character so damn well. Can't wait to see more of her next week.

Glad to see Koga's crazy break-dancing/acrobatic fighting style translated well to animated form. Stellar choreography that's only problem is how little there is of it.

Uchip

Banned
Glad to see Koga's crazy break-dancing/acrobatic fighting style translated well to animated form. Stellar choreography that's only problem is how little there is of it.

so is it Capoeira or actual dancing kind of like Mugen from Samura Champloo?
its one of those things that look great animated, but are kind of hard to pull off

Jarmel

Banned
I've never gotten the ridiculous appeal Rei has to some people. I mean, I suppose it's endearing that she slowly develops into a human being, and her
refusal of Gendo in EoE
was something I'd been waiting a long time to see, but otherwise, I dunno. I don't see the appeal.

Like, Misato I get, because she's overtly sexual, and the only adult woman in the series to so be, in addition to the one person who actively and consistently tries to show Shinji love throughout the series. Asuka is obvious if you've got a thing for Tsunderes, or the Ms.Badass, which make sense.

But Rei? Like, I dunno. In ReBuild, sure, because Rei's development is more obvious due to being compressed, but in the TV series, until EoE, she's a very shallow love interest and an uninteresting character. I mean, she's an interesting part of the show, but as a character Rei is incredibly dull (and 99% of all Rei clones are worse) for the major part of the show. It's only really at the very end that there's any reason to care.

So why, exactly, have so many people latched on to Rei? The only thing weirder would be to find out there was a deranged cult following for Ritsuko's mom.

Well my understanding is that people like her because she fits this idea of a traditional Japanese housewife, personality-wise. The submissive part is a big component but also motherly as well.

Dresden

Well my understanding is that people like her because she fits this idea of a traditional Japanese housewife, personality-wise. The submissive part is a big component but also motherly as well.

Sounds like she's just too deep for you. It's okay.

so is it Capoeira or actual dancing kind of like Mugen from Samura Champloo?
its one of those things that look great animated, but are kind of hard to pull off

It's not Capoeira, but it's not really straight up dancing like Mugen either. It's just stylish acrobatic and flexible movements. I mean, she stands on walls and ceilings, which I'm pretty sure isn't part of any real world martial art.

CorvoSol

Sounds like she's just too deep for you. It's okay.

Deep like the vaccum that was her character for 20 episodes out of 26.

Anyway:

Zoids: New Century Zero I'm up to episode 24 now, and I want to bring up the fact that Vega and Sarah are essentially a very warped version of Shinji and Misato, right down to Vega wearing a plug suit (which are common in mecha anime now. Hell, Leonard Testarossa wears one. But Leonard is a white haired pretty boy, so yeah.). Anyway, the point is that it's a grown woman lugging around a messed up exceptional pilot that has a mecha that goes Berserk. Only where Misato used her gruff exterior to hide her care for Shinji, I'm pretty sure Sarah is using her sweet facade to disguise a much crueler perspective. At least things are finally heating up in time for the show's finale.

Gundam Seed Up to episode 30, and I am SO GLAD that Kira/Flay is OVER. Hate hate hate hate hate her. Blech. And also Mu La Flaga is like the coolest guy in this show. I'm surprised he isn't the Char Clone, because usually Char Clones are the coolest. So sick of Yzak, too. Kinda pissed he won't be dying soon.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Anyway:

Zoids: New Century Zero I'm up to episode 24 now, and I want to bring up the fact that Vega and Sarah are essentially a very warped version of Shinji and Misato, right down to Vega wearing a plug suit (which are common in mecha anime now. Hell, Leonard Testarossa wears one. But Leonard is a white haired pretty boy, so yeah.). Anyway, the point is that it's a grown woman lugging around a messed up exceptional pilot that has a mecha that goes Berserk. Only where Misato used her gruff exterior to hide her care for Shinji, I'm pretty sure Sarah is using her sweet facade to disguise a much crueler perspective. At least things are finally heating up in time for the show's finale.

Gundam Seed Up to episode 30, and I am SO GLAD that Kira/Flay is OVER. Hate hate hate hate hate her. Blech. And also Mu La Flaga is like the coolest guy in this show. I'm surprised he isn't the Char Clone, because usually Char Clones are the coolest. So sick of Yzak, too. Kinda pissed he won't be dying soon.

Is this your first time watching Seed? Are you watching the HD Remaster?

Jarmel

Banned
Audio is not an unimportant aspect that will just work itself out somehow. It's as important as the visuals, and in some cases it can be even more important.

Well I actually somewhat disagree with this but not for any factual reason really but more because I feel visuals always take the precedence when it comes to any visual medium, other than writing which I feel is crucial for any work. You can get away with mediocre audio if the visuals are impressive enough. That said, audio can both enhance and also detract from an experience if they're exceptional in one way or another on the quality scale.

CorvoSol

Is this your first time watching Seed? Are you watching the HD Remaster?

I don't think this is the HD Remaster, no. Yes this is my first time watching SEED. I watched Destiny when I was in High School, and only understood like half of it. So I figured it was time I fully acquainted myself with the series. I liked Destiny, but I didn't understand all of it, y'know?
Shinn is an infinitely worse protagonist than Shinji Ikari. Can't stand Shinn. UGH. I didn't even KNOW WHO KIRA WAS and I was still happy he hijacked the plot.

I've decided though that Mecha anime are at their best when 1)The fights actually matter (FMP does a great job of maintaining the drama even AFTER Sosuke gets his super upgrade, whereas Bit loses like, a grand total of once in Zoids.) and 2) They're good even when not in giant robots.

yami4ct

Anyway:

You're watching SEED. Oh dear, my sympathies. Well, SEED is not offensively bad like Destiny. SEED would actually be half ways decent if not for Flay. She's probably one of the worst Gundam characters put to screen. Heck, she may even be worse than Shinn.

kayos90

I don't think this is the HD Remaster, no. Yes this is my first time watching SEED. I watched Destiny when I was in High School, and only understood like half of it. So I figured it was time I fully acquainted myself with the series. I liked Destiny, but I didn't understand all of it, y'know?
Shinn is an infinitely worse protagonist than Shinji Ikari. Can't stand Shinn. UGH. I didn't even KNOW WHO KIRA WAS and I was still happy he hijacked the plot.

I've decided though that Mecha anime are at their best when 1)The fights actually matter (FMP does a great job of maintaining the drama even AFTER Sosuke gets his super upgrade, whereas Bit loses like, a grand total of once in Zoids.) and 2) They're good even when not in giant robots.

Oh man... you should've been watching Seed Remaster. It's on youtube and they just finished airing the last episode last week. They redid scenes and stuff so it looks better sometimes.

yami4ct

Oh man... you should've been watching Seed Remaster. It's on youtube and they just finished airing the last episode last week. They redid scenes and stuff so it looks better sometimes.

Eh, from what I've seen the HD remaster didn't add that much. Heck, they even made it worse in some ways. You aren't missing much by sticking to the original.

Maedhros

Zetsuen No Tempest 07

Oh, so no love triangle... just almost...

Just a character development episode. Okay episode... Hamlet shit in the end though... what does it even mean?

kayos90

Eh, from what I've seen the HD remaster didn't add that much. Heck, they even made it worse in some ways. You aren't missing much by sticking to the original.

Uh... They changed up quite a bit of stuff in the action scenes and many of the derp faces.

If I had seen the original I would still give the HD remaster a try, the OP/ED, the eye catches, and lots of the remastered scenes on the blu ray are totally worth it.

Syrinx

Completely random question: is the "How can you say you love her if you can't even eat her poop?" pic real? If it is, what is it from, so I can avoid it?

Sorry for the random questions. Not watching anime tonight.

yami4ct

You'd love Tomino's stuff. 0079, Zeta, and Char's Counterattack are amazing. While I don't believe Tomino did it, but the 08th MS team is awesome as well. Than you have Victory, which is divisive but I adore. Also, Turn A. It reaches Evangelion levels of trolling, but you have to know gundam to effectively be trolled. There's a reason it's my favorite Gundam show.

Man, I hope Gundam the Origin's anime turns out to be a full 50 episode remake of 0079. That'd be the best news ever. If it is what I fear it is, a small OVA that just adapts the new parts from the manga, I'll be really sad.

Instro

Codebreaker 7

ou16U.jpg

Indeed.

This was pretty sweet, really funny stuff. There was a lot of humor mixed in with sweet action at the end, with the actors and music selling both aspects. Gotta be one of the most entertaining episodes of the show thus far. All the codebreakers together as one made for some great hijinks.

CorvoSol

Uh... They changed up quite a bit of stuff in the action scenes and many of the derp faces.

That might be worth my time, then. The derp faces are by far what I like least about this show. I honestly do not remember the facial animations being so sloppy in Destiny.

You'd love Tomino's stuff. 0079, Zeta, and Char's Counterattack are amazing. While I don't believe Tomino did it, but the 08th MS team is awesome as well. Than you have Victory, which is divisive but I adore. Also, Turn A. It reaches Evangelion levels of trolling, but you have to know gundam to effectively be trolled. There's a reason it's my favorite Gundam show.

Man, I hope Gundam the Origin's anime turns out to be a full 50 episode remake of 0079. That'd be the best news ever. If it is what I fear it is, a small OVA that just adapts the new parts from the manga, I'll be really sad.

The only other Gundam show I've ever actually watched is Gundam Wing, which was my introduction to Mecha (aside from Power Rangers).

And aside from the last two episodes of the original TV series, I honestly didn't feel that trolled by Evangelion. I worried that I'd hate it because I can't stand things that don't explain stuff (Like Toriyama) but honestly, I felt the show did a good enough job of explaining the basic idea of things: EVA 01 is super important to Gendo's plans, SEELE wants a, Gendo wants b, and Shinji ruins it for all of them and picks c.

you've watched destiny before seed ? until the end ? how is that possible ?

Anyway ..Enjoy seed it's got the most haxxor gundam pilot ever and the most haxxor main heroine ever ( you should understand if you've seen destiny ) but seed has a nice story .. don't worry if you hate faly , she was designed to be hated ... and her meltdown early in the series made her a "complete" character IMO..

Mu la fraga is awesome ...nuff said

yami4ct

Anyway ..Enjoy seed it's got the most haxxor gundam pilot ever and the most haxxor main heroine ever ( you should understand if you've seen destiny ) but seed has a nice story .. don't worry if you hate faly , she was designed to be hated ... and her meltdown early in the series made her a "complete" character IMO..

Sorry, can't agree with you there. Even more than other Char clones, Mu desperately reaches for the Char mantle and so utterly drops it. If he wasn't trying to live up to one of the most amazing mechs hero/villains of all time, he might be cool, but he feels more like a Char knockoff than usual.

CorvoSol

Yeah, I didn't know that Destiny was a sequel until Kira showed up. And by then it was too late. It was pretty jarring to start in SEED and see a completely different side of Kira.

But yes, he's mad haxxor. I'm tempted to say even the ridiculously broken Wing Zero wasn't that broken.

But Mu La Flaga is where it is at. Loved the scene where he patted the Captain on her back and she's all "Careful commander. That's harrassment!"

Maedhros

Psycho-Pass 06

Nice episode. So the crimes had a connection. Probably the same guy we've saw on the start of the series.

Wondering when Akane will be relevant in this story.

Was busy playing Paper Mario, now back to anime.

Space Brothers 33

LVt10.jpg

The moon has changed Hibito...Linda-C?

SAO 20

LURWF.png

The girls are cash itens?
The fight was pretty good.

Sorry, can't agree with you there. Even more than other Char clones, Mu desperately reaches for the Char mantle and so utterly drops it. If he wasn't trying to live up to one of the most amazing mechs hero/villains of all time, he might be cool, but he feels more like a Char knockoff than usual.

If anything, it comes off like the writer was trying to shove the Char helmet on an already interesting character(and literally so in Destiny).

yami4ct

If anything, it comes off like the writer was trying to shove the Char helmet on an already interesting character(and literally so in Destiny).

It felt like they just knocked off Char from Zeta, except took out all the interesting pathos of him being
a villain working with his former nemesis
. They just took Zeta char and made him less interesting.

He's not an actively bad character, just he's not as cool because Char exists. He's reaching for a thing he could never be. It could be worse. He could be Zechs from Wing. He's probably the worst failed Char clone. At least going forward they tried to differentiate each series' masked man from Char in some meaningful aspect.

It felt like they just knocked off Char from Zeta, except took out all the interesting pathos of him being
a villain working with his former nemesis
. They just took Zeta char and made him less interesting.

If this is about him in Destiny, I agree that he was around that boring, which was a complete shame. Any interest you had in the guy pretty much coasted over from SEED + why he was wearing the mask(the reason being even more disappointing). After he got ahold of the Akatsuki, the parallel was complete in facepalm-worthy glory.

If this is about him in the original series I'd find it hard to disagree more.

yami4ct

If this is about him in Destiny, I agree that he was around that boring, which was a complete shame.

If this is about him in the original series I'd find it hard to disagree more.

Orignal series Mu is Zeta Char. In almost every aspect. The only meaningful personality trait they changed was that they made him a charming lady's man.

And yeah, what they did to him in Destiny just took not a terrible character and completely destroyed him, like most of what Destiny did.

Joe Molotov

Completely random question: is the "How can you say you love her if you can't even eat her poop?" pic real? If it is, what is it from, so I can avoid it?

Sorry for the random questions. Not watching anime tonight.

I think it was from Richard III, right after the ""Now is the winter of our discontent..." part.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
You'll love it then. There's plenty of excellent art and drool-worthy clouds :)

Awesome! Ready to watch :)

Hmmm pantsu on top of leggings?? If that's the best it has to offer then... might have to pass. I need quality pantsu porn. I'm tired of all the cheaply animated shit. I need something real, and classy - (nsfw) Sophisticated panchira, that I can sip wine to.

It's funny you mention Bakemonogatari since it's the same author, but with a porn artist.

Hmmm you mean Riroland? Wow, that actually kinda takes me back... sadly, nothing I've seen of Medaka Box has convinced me to watch it. Shenanigans and other merits aside, I wish there were more quality ecchi shows around. By quality I simply mean shows which are better animated and drawn. It kind of feels like most of them are either low budget or just lack the right kind of touch.

I don't believe anything will top the Jexhius-dissertation worthy shot from episode 1.

I kinda want to read that entry again too.

What is this you speak of?

CorvoSol

I remember Mu being lame in Destiny, but he's a likable guy in SEED and I wouldn't compare him to Char since SEED's Char is Rau Le Creuset.

He's no Zechs, though, but that's mostly because Zechs' voice actor is sooooooo gooooood.

yami4ct

I remember Mu being lame in Destiny, but he's a likable guy in SEED and I wouldn't compare him to Char since SEED's Char is Rau Le Creuset.

He's no Zechs, though, but that's mostly because Zechs' voice actor is sooooooo gooooood.

Sigh, Char is not always the Char of 0079. He's not always the masked villain. Zeta turns him into the rival ally. That's what it means to be a Zeta char clone, what Mu is.

trejo

I'm only allowed 17.6 lies per month in my quota. This is not one of them.

If I do watch, it will because of weak will rather than any intention I have now.

Why not do the sensible thing and claim that you have a friend who wants to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom