• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Gundam AGE 01

Maybe it's because my expectations are extremely low or maybe it's because I'm treating it like a Saturday morning cartoon or something but this episode wasn't that bad. I sort of felt like a 10-13 year old waking up early in the morning to watch a cool action show. It's very child oriented and not something typical for a person of age. Meh. It was good but that's about it. The reasons I like this so far is not why I like anime or Gundam shows in general. Maybe that's why...

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! episode 8 preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUHmKTHzlGQ

So... that resolved fast, I guess.

jman2050

Skull Man 10-13

mfw

fA8vC.jpg

Mindblowing. That's all I have to say.

Pooya

What's a good military themed recent (say 5-6 years old even) anime? girl und panzer made me pretty interested, by military I mean not space or mecha stuff, normal military, valkyria for example. name it, I've probably haven't seen it.

Code:Breaker 7

I've forgotten how good the supporting cast in this is. Yuuki and Heike should be the main characters.

This sure is different from the manga. I don't think any of this happened. They're also kind of messing with the power structure here.
All the current Code Breakers could easily destroy Hitomi if they teamed up, and Heike could do it alone if he really wanted to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SAO 20

http://i.imgur.com/LURWF.png
The girls are cash itens?
The fight was pretty good.

You know, this bothered me insomuch as how pathetic must your life be if, even in a video game, the only thing you can decide to do is faun over some jack ass while wearing very little clothes.

Of course, I'm sure no one actually thought about that in the first place and just used that image because that's generic "evil fantasy guy 101".

You know, this bothered me insomuch as how pathetic must your life be if, even in a video game, the only thing you can decide to do is faun over some jack ass while wearing very little clothes.

Of course, I'm sure no one actually thought about that in the first place and just used that image because that's generic "evil fantasy guy 101".

Are there no NPCs in the game?

Dresden

magi - 07

Everything on the audio side of things is just so half assed. From the casting to the bgm, it's all disappointing and it's not like the direction or the writing is sharp, either. I guess the backgrounds and the art generally looks good at least.

I should just reconcile myself to how it'll always remain a disappointment.

It's a MMO, dude.

duckroll

sword art at times seems closer to secondlife than anything
if there was a Ralph Pootawn id totally pick the show back up

Sword Art Online was only like Second Life because no one could logout or leave though. If they could, I doubt the game would even last 2 years. The game design seemed fundamentally flawed. Lol.

From the New World 8

Though rather subdued in nature, this was a really good episode, especially the latter half. It was also the best since the fourth episode, since it, essentially, was an introduction, however temporarily, into a significantly altered world and atmosphere. The methodical pacing in this episode and most others allows for an intricately woven narrative. As such, one of the most impressive aspects of the show is that the narrative rarely seems to progress through a predictable, seemingly predetermined path. This would typically create a relatively disconnected sort of confusion, as well as an unavoidable tendency to slip into a tonal dissonance, but the story has been so masterfully constructed that it never feels disorienting or contrived.

The extensive examination and resulting insight into their unsettling society continues to be exceptionally comprehensive and well-implemented into the narrative. There were several layers of nuance added to the depiction of the bizarre, contrasting nature of their regulated actions and the uniformity of their
sexual relations
. As such, the relations and dynamics between each character have immensely evolved in a rather significant fashion. Though these seemingly
experimental intimacies
definitely appear to be short-lived, the emotions and unique interactions that directly derive from the individual scenarios are quite captivating. Of course, due to the sudden transition to
their 14-year old selves
, the ingrained characterization has been appropriately altered for many of the characters, but, rather than feeling forced and somewhat disconcerting, it's quite believable. Essentially though, I felt that the
moments of intimacy
throughout this episode were comparatively handled better in the fifth episode, since they were more deftly illustrated in the latter.

Shun's development in this episode is incredibly interesting, as he
purposefully drifts apart from the others, isolating himself from emotional connections with a self-imposed exile
, due to the possibility that he's
displaying symptoms that indicate the potential that he's suffering from the Rahman-Crogius syndrome
, and that he'll eventually
transform into a fiend
. It's quite impressive that Shun was able to skilfully deduce that the
Elder's were manipulating them and that they had known of their sealed Cantus all along
. Of course, he's always appeared to be the most perceptive in the group, since, quite often, it seems as though he was distinctly aware of the
blood-stained mysteries that had infiltrated their society

My favorite sequence was Saki's
painfully melancholic conversation with Shun
, in which all of her complicated emotions lingered on the precipice of chance, tenuously clinging to the final hope for a shred of normalcy and permanency within her
precocious desires for a seemingly impossible romance
, culminating with her
confession cut short and Shun's ominous warning that suggested Saki should be alert for Cats
. It's also rather surprising, though not entirely unexpected, that
they don't fully remember the details surrounding their summer excursion
, which definitely seems to hint at some form of
mental manipulation by the Elders
. There was a choral arrangement that brilliantly accompanied this moment; one that's nearly as fantastic as the usual selection. This scene was
tragically foreboding
, as it potentially foreshadows an imminence towards
Shun's death
, superbly conveying a plethora of disparate emotions. Though he could certainly
remain alive, there's a dreadful inevitability
that permeates these fleeting moments. As such, there was an excellently meaningful, visual touch in this scene, in which a particular portion of the material used in the construction of the
Holy Barrier
separated their
bodies from one another
throughout the entire conversation, illustrating the seemingly irreparable distance between
Saki and the tainted creature that Shun had become

Aside from Saki's conversation with Shun, another one of my favorite sequences is the classroom scene, in which
Saki begins to cry upon truly noticing Mamoru's unrequited affections for Maria
, as this draws a clear parallel to
her romantic feelings for Shun
. There was a beautifully wistful musical selection that really complemented the moment, illuminating the complex emotions that were involved extremely well.

I love that there was a slightly heightened focus on Mamoru, since, though he's consistently appeared to strictly be a secondary character, I'm hoping that he receives an increased prevalence throughout the remainder of the show, so that he could be somewhat integral to the story, since the noticeable lack of development for his character remains one of the weakest elements of the show. Despite this criticism, it does seem quite likely that he'll be involved considerably more as the story progresses, possibly as
an accessory to Maria's eventual cruelty
, since, due to the dialogue at the end of the
second episode
, it's been subtly foreshadowed that
she'll gradually turn into an uncontrolled fiend or something else altogether
. Nevertheless, for better or worse, his characterization, so far, has indicated that he'll always accompany her, and that, perhaps, their fates are inexorably entwined.

The direction was solid; a definite improvement over the last three episodes, which is somewhat surprising, impressively so, since Kazuyoshi Yaginuma is thoroughly inexperienced in that area. Aside from that, his storyboarding was also great, as the majority of it was much more fluid, displaying a logical progression from one moment to the next, which was easily the most noticeable improvement, due to the occasional absence of any sort of cohesive continuity within a particular scene throughout several of the episodes that preceded this one.

The art, however, was clearly the weakest aspect of the episode, since it was far too inconsistent. As such, though it was still very capable of illustrating particular moments in an expressive and appealing manner, the mediocre art slightly detracted from the portrayal of several interactions and motions. On the other hand, the colorful aesthetic was very visually appealing, effectively contrasting the largely unremarkable repetition of scenery throughout much of the previous three episodes. The character's movements, as a whole, were animated really well. I particularly love the altered character designs, especially Saki's and Shun's, as they're able to capture the
advancement in age
superbly.

All in all, From the New World begins it's second arc with a thoroughly impressive episode, while it also continues to excel in nearly every area, save for some inconsistencies within the production values. This arc, so far, is thoroughly engaging and exceptionally intriguing, particularly due to the fantastic conclusion to this episode and the preview for the next one. Following the interesting, but rather divergent thread at the end of the last arc, the return, and subsequent familiarization, to the walls of their oppressive society was portrayed wonderfully, excellently reestablishing the subtly grim and threatening nature of their meticulously structured lives.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like I'm only reading it because the art is amazing and the fights are cool, but the art is amazing and the fights are cool so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I know how it is to only read stuff because it's awesome. I always tell myself I shouldn't, but what can you do.

Grzi

Young Animator Training Project 2011 - Minding My Own Business

A great little short film about bullying, I felt really sad after watching it. As per usual the kid getting bullied is extremely likeable and the bullies are assholes, but there's a neat twist at the end.
The art style was abstract and simplistic, but it looked good, and the animation was great, very fluid. The music was fantastic.

Dresden

im surprised it even had that function considering half of the male players were playing as chicks. How does that even make any sense?

It probably feels like sounding* for the men, if they're in a female avatar.

---

*Cock-stuffing, or "sounding" as it is called in the S&M community, involves inserting smooth, long, and thin surgical steel rods called "sounds" (hence the name "sounding") into a man's urethra.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Welp, we've reached a discussion about sticking dicks in dicks.

It's been a good OT everyone. Thanks for playing!

Uchip

Banned
It probably feels like sounding* for the men, if they're in a female avatar.

---

*Cock-stuffing, or "sounding" as it is called in the S&M community, involves inserting smooth, long, and thin surgical steel rods called "sounds" (hence the name "sounding") into a man's urethra.

jesus H christ D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom