• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

Funny you started watching these, as I was just thinking about them the other day. I have yet to get to them, but I'd like to read which one you like best after you're done with them all.

I actually watched Buta and Wasurenagumo as soon as they came out but I got around to watching these two now.
As far as rankings, I know I liked Buta the least (still good), followed by Dudu The Floatie (very good), and as far as the other two, I can't decide, I'd probably have to give Wasurenagumo another watch, but for now let's say I liked it and Minding My Own Business about equally, both were great.

I still think Kizuna Ichigeki and Ojisan no Lamp are better than all four of these 2011 shorts though.

Ultimadrago

Which is precisely why I haven't warmed to her, although I like Mai because of her trollish tendencies. Figures!

Ha! Age and execution definitely aids there. The silent expectations of a four-eyed high school girl that's always a step ahead works in a fashion easier to like than a young genius who's simply a rascal. Though the novelty of the character type alone makes me enjoy their presence (both of them, but speaking on Hakase here). There are not enough young girl brats in anime (like Hakase)! Her actions mark a traditional definition for the label, but the attitude is absent in young girls I see in all types from the medium. I guess either I'm looking in the wrong places or they are present, but lack a notable personality.

Before someone mentions Rebecca in Pani Poni Dash!, I only got through one episode of that show.

I actually watched Buta and Wasurenagumo as soon as they came out but I got around to watching these two now.
As far as rankings, I know I liked Buta the least (still good), followed by Dudu The Floatie (very good), and as far as the other two, I can't decide, I'd probably have to give Wasurenagumo another watch, but for now let's say I liked it and Minding My Own Business about equally, both were great.

I still think Kizuna Ichigeki and Ojisan no Lamp are better than all four of these 2011 shorts though.

Thanks for the quick response. It passed my mind that I have seen Wasurenagumo (I simply remember it as "The
spider
one"). I liked it. I'll be sure to check out the rest you've listed. Thanks.

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne - 07
Laaadies & gentlemens !!
Here comes the fight of the week ....

On the blue corner :

YYcvil.jpg

Here comes the new challenger .. A loli , somehow smart , can do chores and is the MC fiance !!
Arrived as a cliffanger last episode ..this new character task is to make things intresting ... she has a special skill : "cry" that can win the heart of almost everyone..her devious charms have already conquered the hearts of the other maidens !! Trully a formidable opponent!

On the red corner:
zvzkll.jpg

The sister !! Lots of imagination , denial and passion !

Introduced since the first episode this character didn't manage to get to her goal , thanks to the devious plan the other female prepared .. will this new fight be the signal to her doom ? we'll find out !

In This DEADLY battle, a winner must emerge ..who will it be ?

zQ7x2l.jpg

Surprising !!
Oh our 2 characters reached a deadlock and now turn to the MC .. what will happen ? can we resist all this suspense !?
Who will he choose ?

And thus
our MC sister-zoned both .!!!! what a unsurprising turn of events .. but both girls now in the same emotional pace join forces !!! What a twist !! i guess it's time for swimsuits , now then !

/XX/

Ikuhara is also a heavy influence on Kaworu's design.
Yeah. Sometimes I'm not sure what is closer to the truth with Hideaki Anno speaking! One time he mentions that Kaworu was like an experiment to make someone closer to a perfect but oblivious man that came out more creepy than they thought he would be, and another time Mr. Anno says he drew inspiration from Nagisa Ōshima in more than his very name, apparently (still untranslated full reference):

[EVA]kaworu named after nagisa oshima?
http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/1999-July/029728.html

As in other projects, this creations are chaotic amalgamations made from idea sources sometimes of unpredictable origin for everyone involved (and much more unpredictable is for the audience)!

My favorite theory, and one most everyone knows, is that EoE and the last two episodes are two sides of the same coin. It's an idea I came to while watching the show originally and went to the internet to see if I could corroborate it. Of course, it was well entrenched in the discussion already. It was that revelation that lead me deep into the insanity that is Eva fan theories.
More than theory, that is the fundamental basis for the subsequent film after the 'Instrumentality' perspective of the series, the objective for which they did THE END OF EVANGELION in the first place... as it was explained, man!

Yep. You can answer everything with "it was Quantum Magic™, yeah"... and lets see who is willing to rebut it!

New trailer for the Blue Exorcist movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwMi7f9JGuY
Those background sets look nice, and how are layered and add depth to punctual scenes seem all wonderfully made, in my opinion. Cool!

That is truly horrific character design.
I like it. Maybe the biggest offender here is that tracing work...

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh yeah, the Skull Man is awesome.
I plan to watch every BONES show I missed in the next few weeks, so I got Angelic Layer, Heroman (lol), Hiwou War Chronicles, Mars Daybreak, Ouran High School Host Club and No.6. And yeah, I plan on watching them all. :(
What do I watch first?
Ouran High School is really good. Angelic Layer is good too, better than the manga. Mars Daybreak you'll like if you have a thing for old school Sunrise mecha anime, unique setting and mech + fun cast, I personally really like it. Hiwou Senki has some interesting/fun stuff, and has the novelty of being the first full show the studio ever did, but it isn't outstanding or anything.

Heroman is the beginning of the descent into the abyss tho

BluWacky

UVERworld doing the theme?

Bleach always comes to mind after reading that band's name.

To be fair, UVERworld also sang the first OP for the Blue Exorcist TV series, so it's not unsurprising that they do the OP for the film. But whenever I think of UVERworld I think of D-Tecnolife as well - and I don't think I actually watched Bleach by the time that was used as the OP.

UVERworld have done pretty well for themselves, given how many other "anime" artists have crashed and burned since. UVERworld are linked in my head to Hitomi Takahashi - they both did themes for Blood+, both did OPs for Terra E, both did Gundam themes etc. But whereas Hitomi Takahashi has disappeared from the industry it seems, UVERworld's albums top the charts and they're in regular demand.

(I wanted to use this post as an excuse to link to Takahashi's JET BOY JET GIRL, but I can't find any videos of it on Youtube. So have a link to UVERworld's Blood+ OP instead, which is a sakuga otaku favourite, although my preferred OP from that show has always been OP2)

CorvoSol

A spoiler warning on the character death would have been nice, i'm still running through it and hadn't reached that point and to have it in all caps even :(

Oh damn man, I'm really sorry. It totally slipped my mind. I'm really, really sorry about that. Spoiling something for someone else is the worst. I'm sorry about that, man.

Taruranto

Oh yeah, the Skull Man is awesome.
I plan to watch every BONES show I missed in the next few weeks, so I got Angelic Layer, Heroman (lol), Hiwou War Chronicles, Mars Daybreak, Ouran High School Host Club and No.6. And yeah, I plan on watching them all. :(
What do I watch first?

Why do you hate yourself, son?

Dead

well not really...yet
Their Blood+ OP was pretty good, not to mention the OP sequence itself was fantastic

Is the term "anime artist" legit though? Ive wondered the how and why bands are chosen to do anime songs. Given that Aniplex pretty much has the monopoly on that stuff now, isn't it just a case of Sony finding bands from its catalog that it wants to pimp and give more exposure to? I wonder how often the anime staff themselves have a say in it.

cajunator

Banned
Man I put "hnnng forever" as my Miiverse profile comment and it got flagged by the moderators.
I suppose hnnng has some kind of negative connotation.

Grzi

Ouran High School is really good. Angelic Layer is good too, better than the manga. Mars Daybreak you'll like if you have a thing for old school Sunrise mecha anime, unique setting and mech + fun cast, I personally really like it. Hiwou Senki has some interesting/fun stuff, and has the novelty of being the first full show the studio ever did, but it isn't outstanding or anything.

Heroman is the beginning of the descent into the abyss tho

Thanks for the reply, I'll probably watch them in that order, but I might throw in Heroman somewhere in the beginning of the marathon, just to get it out of the way.
I expect some decent sakuga out of it, at least.

Why do you hate yourself, son?

I don't, I just love BONES,
which many of you nowadays consider to be the same thing as hating myself lol

CorvoSol

Was it? I thought it was Creuset. lol.

I don't remember Creuset being in Destiny. Hmmmm. I dunno, it's been YEARS since I watched it. I'll get to it again in the near future, though. Oh and I
actually thought Meer's death was one of the best parts of the show. It was pretty well done, I thought.

Syrinx

Man I put "hnnng forever" as my Miiverse profile comment and it got flagged by the moderators.
I suppose hnnng has some kind of negative connotation.

The Wii U launch sounds like the most fucked up thing ever lol.

Speaking of which, what was the deal with that guy who apparently hacked Miiverse by accident? I read part of the thread but still have little idea of what happened. Still hilarious though.

Joe Molotov

I got my 30 DVD Mystery Grab Bag!! from Crunchyroll/RightStuf, and of course it's every bit as shitty as I knew it would be, but who can resist the allure of the Mystery Grab Bag!!

Basically, it's just a bunch of random volumes of Geneon and ADV anime circa 2004. The stuff no one's gonna buy because no one buys volumes of anime anymore. I got:

X Vol. 7
Black Heaven Vol. 3
Gun Sword Vol. 1 & 3
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar OVA
New Getter Robo Vol. 1
Gankutsuou Vol. 6
Elemental Gelade Vol. 4
Tenchi in Tokyo Vol. 3
Chobits Vol. 2
Serial Experiments Lain Vol. 1
Gad Guard Vol. 1 & 4
Bastof Syndrome Vol. 1 & 2
Heat Guy J Vol. 1 & 4
Shonen Onmyouji Vol. 2
GetBackers Vol. 4
Dokkoidai Vol. 1
Guyver Vol. 2
Appleseed (2004)
Gantz Vol. 8
Fafner Vol. 7
Last Exile Vol. 1
The Law of Ueki Vol. 1 & 2
Saiyuki Vol. 3, 9, & 10

cajunator

Banned
I got my 30 DVD Mystery Grab Bag!! from Crunchyroll/RightStuf, and of course it's every bit as shitty as I knew it would be, but who can resist the allure of the Mystery Grab Bag!!

Basically, it's just a bunch of random volumes of Geneon and ADV anime circa 2004. The stuff no one's gonna buy because no one buys volumes of anime anymore. I got:

X Vol. 7
Black Heaven Vol. 3
Gun Sword Vol. 1 & 3
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar OVA
New Getter Robo Vol. 1
Gankutsuou Vol. 6
Elemental Gelade Vol. 4
Tenchi in Tokyo Vol. 3

Chobits Vol. 2
Serial Experiments Lain Vol. 1

Gad Guard Vol. 1 & 4
Bastof Syndrome Vol. 1 & 2
Heat Guy J Vol. 1 & 4
Shonen Onmyouji Vol. 2
GetBackers Vol. 4
Dokkoidai Vol. 1
Guyver Vol. 2
Appleseed (2004)
Gantz Vol. 8
Fafner Vol. 7
Last Exile Vol. 1

The Law of Ueki Vol. 1 & 2
Saiyuki Vol. 3, 9, & 10

I like the bolded ones.
Not a really awful bundle all things considered.

Jex

[The Skull Man]: 10 - 13

As others have noted already, the ending for this show is fairly incredible. All credit must go to Yutaka Izubuchi for being a god damn boss. Truly the most under appreciated BONES show of our times.

Cool people saying cool things:

Skull121.jpg

skullrata.jpg
Skull13.jpg

Jex

For me it feels less over the top. One of the things I didn't like about Shinji 1 is that sometimes his meltdowns felt exaggerated. Like his first one in the first episode. I mean, sure, he had grounds to get pissed off and upset over being asked to pilot the EVA, but I felt like they played it up too much.

This isn't a particularly well constructed argument but I feel that it successfully explains the crux of my response: Shinji is a teenager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom