• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

The curse of being an artist with unruly expectations.

I could read your perspective on this type of stuff all day, honestly.
Gaining insight into an artist's mind is truly a fun experience for me.

I love interviews/retrospectives/etc from the creators themselves, for anything. It's just a nice glimpse into the process and the craft.

Which feeds into my interest for this kind of material. Sadly, I don't actively search for it as much as I'd like.

Sekirei ~Pure Engagement~ 9
25RYE.jpg

me gusta!
So now the stage is set for the last confrontation with Uzume. Or at least, most likely the last one. Other than that, it basically shows how this whole Sekirei Project is actually pretty brutal and that we're dealing with people here.
Or are they technically aliens? idk
A really well done episode. I was generally surprised at how well the animation was.
This episode also demonstrates how much cooler Minato's sister is.
jQJXR.jpg

Why can't the show always be like this?!?

Mandoric

Banned
Amusing comment that I'm not going to endorse or even show a source for it; precisely some people have been accusing Aniplex Inc., of falsifying some recent numbers...

Yes, 4chan is hard to cite, isn't it.
It's a misinterpretation of a year-old 2ch rumor about Aniplex preordering from Amazon to manipulate their sales rank and then canceling last-minute; sales numbers are collected by an independent third party, and the sales of the titles in question are definitely still healthy in proportion to their preorder numbers.
I think at some point there was an attempt to drop back and go "well, then they must be buying their own discs at retail!", but that's absurd for a range of reasons, including a lack of unexplained dropoff in later discs, most examples being titles that other companies also had significant interests in, and the sheer amount by which those titles overshot genre par or even previous genre best.

cajunator

Banned
It's a misinterpretation of a year-old 2ch rumor about Aniplex preordering from Amazon to manipulate their sales rank and then canceling last-minute; sales numbers are collected by an independent third party, and the sales of the titles in question are definitely still healthy in proportion to their preorder numbers.
I think at some point there was an attempt to drop back and go "well, then they must be buying their own discs at retail!", but that's absurd for a range of reasons, including a lack of unexplained dropoff in later discs, most examples being titles that other companies also had significant interests in, and the sheer amount by which those titles overshot genre par or even previous genre best.

some crazy people paid $800 bucks for Fate Zero. Can you believe that shit? Some people are insane.

Mandoric

Banned
some crazy people paid $800 bucks for Fate Zero. Can you believe that shit? Some people are insane.

To be fair, is that really a change in how much they spend? Especially compared to the days of singles? It's just a move to being able to devote your $800 for a half-year of anime all to a high-quality package of the really good stuff day and date with Japan, while you get to watch the rest online for free within a couple days of it airing.
I know there's sticker shock involved, but to me, that beats the shit out of getting three series on those MSRP $30 1/8 DVDs, not getting to watch anything else without pirating, and them coming a year or two after Japanese broadcast.

No, lol.

That's pretty funny, but pantsu bereft of their bottoms aren't nearly as interesting to look at. It's the form that give the panties life, you see. The real tragedy is that nearly every ecchi show I've seen or looked into lacks this insight, focusing more on the garments themselves than the underlying shapes which describe them. The most recent offender, Kyou no Asuka Show is a prime example of this. If it's not too flat it's too round, and if it isn't either of those I can be sure the crotch is placed upside down or in the wrong area. Few shows are willing to put both artistic know-how and delicacy into other areas while giving the same hand to the more salacious bits. HSOTD knew how, but when it comes to shows that should excel in this area very few even pick up the ball. It's almost like they don't even know their way around a pencil!

I assume you read/watch To-love Ru Darkness? The panty shots are very... defined.

cajunator

Banned
To be fair, is that really a change in how much they spend? Especially compared to the days of singles? It's just a move to being able to devote your $800 for a half-year of anime all to a high-quality package of the really good stuff day and date with Japan, while you get to watch the rest online for free within a couple days of it airing.
I know there's sticker shock involved, but to me, that beats the shit out of getting three series on those MSRP $30 1/8 DVDs, not getting to watch anything else without pirating, and them coming a year or two after Japanese broadcast.

I know. I was partly joking because I was one of those insane people, so I definitely know the mindset of one who buys that.

/XX/

Sorry! This is what I deserve for phoning in a playful jab... but yeah, I'm sure it is a false recycled rumor that was rescued as an accolation to make a comparison with the published recent numbers for the film's showings. The tentation to mention such thing after what accusations we saw on the 'suspicious redirecting banners' case was very strong!

But I'll just say as a defense that I've never been ashamed of mentioning 4Chan as a source... just that I'm not going to do it and give credit (to there or anywhere else) when I'm posting stupidities, to not spread it. Posting that only is my responsibility, and the joke backfired! I apologize.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 07

While enjoyable, I kinda feel like this arc was very weirdly paced. It's like the second half of last episode and the first one of that were supposed to be one in the first place, but they had to shift things around due to how quickly they are going through this material. And that's without even touching the fact that the big plot development here was spoiled a week ago due to the nature of the dialogue.

P.S. Dio is still an arsehole.

EDIT: Oh great, people spoiling My Little Monster yet again. I need to stop coming in here on Mondays.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 7

~ Only if we live, is there a chance for revenge ~

How two men's distrust of eachother lead to the fall of a fortress. Excellent episode. I wonder how the song at the end is called.

Mandoric

Banned
Sorry! This is what I deserve for phoning in a playful jab... but yeah, I'm sure it is a false recycled rumor that was rescued as an accolation to make a comparison with the published recent numbers for the film's showings. The tentation to mention such thing after what accusations we saw on the 'suspicious redirecting banners' case was very strong!

But I'll just say as a defense that I've never been ashamed of mentioning 4Chan as a source... just that I'm not going to do it and give credit (to there or anywhere else) when I'm posting stupidities, to not spread it. Posting that only is my responsibility, and the joke backfired! I apologize.

Don't apologize! Bullshitting back is what makes the internet fun.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Tales of Symphonia United World 2-3

Yeah... that was some horrible shit. It was absolutely bad but the last episode is just offensive.

Noirulus

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - 02

Maybe I should give it a third episode? Not sure. This show falls into the painful category of generic pandershit. Everything is devoid of life because it feels like I've seen this setup a million times over.

The main character's straight man act is terrible, too. So I can't even watch it for some mindless comedy.

Onwards to GuP and Chuunibyou.

cajunator

Banned

Maybe I should give it a third episode? Not sure. This show falls into the painful category of generic pandershit. Everything is devoid of life because it feels like I've seen this setup a million times over.

The main character's straight man act is terrible, too. So I can't even watch it for some mindless comedy.

Well, Misaki is good for some entertainment. I like genki girls though.

I thought it picked up around episode 4, so perhaps give it a few more episodes.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 8

This was a slight improvement over the last episode, but it's not altogether great, merely settling into a passable decency. There's a strange dichotomy present here, as this episode possessed a noticeable contrast between it's few meaningful, integral developments within the story and the disappointingly dull, unenjoyable nature of the episode as a whole. Unfortunately, the last three episodes, though reasonably good in their own right, haven't been nearly as terrific and satisfying as those that came before. As such, these latest temporary, insignificant developments and the unnecessary broadening of the secondary characters has slightly weakened the story and has partially ruined the pacing of the overall narrative.

The ending was easily the best part of the episode, since Haru and Shizuku's compelling, enjoyable relationship continues to be the most impressive element of each episode, and, though partially understandable,
Haru and Shizuku's self-inflicted distance
from one another had become tired and repetitive. Of course, even this moment wasn't allowed to be entirely satisfying, since
Shizuku simply needs to ask for more time
, which, aside from cheaply extending
their separation
, isn't really an understandable decision. Then, due to these perpetual complications, Yamaken will inevitably interfere with an elevated frequency, gradually becoming increasingly prevalent in the story, so that their dragging, monotonous
separation
will endure for an even lengthier amount of time.

Haru is definitely my favorite character, as his socially awkward, retaliatory personality is exceptionally endearing and quite original, so it was a bit disappointing that he was
missing from much of the episode
. Shizuku is a somewhat flawed, but excellent and considerably intriguing character. It was nice that she finally acknowledged her
inability to be honest with herself
and that she
took responsibility for the mistakes she had been making
, though it does occasionally become a bit grating when she continually
denies her feelings
, and, upon eventually
accepting them
, she won't even allow herself to fully embrace these emotions.

Natsume, once again, is a terrific character, as she consistently provides some of the best moments and hilariously exaggerated reactions in nearly every episode. Though not particularly ideal, it seems to be subtly foreshadowed that she'll eventually, if not already,
have feelings for Mitsuyoshi
, which, if this does occur, will only likely induce a heightened focus on her relationship with Sasayan, since it's starting to appear that he's
romantically attracted to her
. Regardless, it will be greatly interesting to see how their complex dynamic continues to evolve as the story progresses.

Yamaken's sudden infusion into the narrative feels thoroughly artificial and immensely forced. Of course, it's immediately evident that his sole purpose is to insufferably interject between Haru and Shizuku's relationship, attempting to
manipulate their emotions for his own selfish desires
, while existing as a singularly possessive sort of character. Even though, due to his role
as a rival
, he's intended to be somewhat aggravating, his actual characterization portrays one of the biggest flaws in the story, which are highlighted by his contrived involvement, as, unlike Oshiima, he's consistently unlikable, which is a highly disappointing differentiation from the other characters. Basically, his
fear of Yuzan
is the only aspect of his characterization that is remotely likable.

Oshima's nearly as useless as Yamaken, but, thankfully, she's a far better character. I still don't find her particularly interesting, nor do I think her interactions with Haru are anything more than mildly amusing, but, at the very least, she's relatively tolerable throughout the majority of the time she appears in an episode. Yamaken's interactions with Shizuku aren't engaging either and they're far from interesting. As such, the scene in which he begins to
realize his feelings for Shizuku
was as trite and uninteresting as these unimportant moments typically tend to be.

The confrontation between
Haru and Yuzan
was excellently directed, as it illuminated the emotional resentment and tense volatility that
Haru
was displaying towards
Yuzan
in a wonderfully expressive fashion. Musically, this episode was fantastic, especially the selections that were used during
said confrontation
and the moment Shizuku was reflectively pondering on the
struggles of her relationship
. The visuals are, as always, extremely good and complementary to the tone of the show, and, as such, the vibrantly colorful aesthetic of the background art really illustrates a suitably lively, energetic atmosphere.

All in all, Tonari has been quite good, but rarely great throughout the last three episodes. The weakest elements of this episode, aside from Yamaken, were it's surpising lack of enjoyment in comparison to the other episodes and it's increasingly noticeable tendency to falter into a mediocre predictability. Essentially, one of the primary reasons for this criticism is the two newest characters, as the story wouldn't suffer at all if
Oshima and Yamaken
weren't involved, or if, at the very least, they were strictly relegated to the secondary characters that they are and always will be, which would clearly be for the best. It's rather unfortunate that a show as great as this couldn't avoid the seeming necessity for a terribly cliche and woefully drama-filled preference for nonsensical, pointless
love triangles
, so I must admit to an increasing disappointment at how conventionally shoujo this has become. I certainly expect the show to return to the brilliant quality of it's earlier episodes, but I remain rather hesitant to place full confidence in the immediacy of it's arrival, since the story could potentially lean in a temporarily meandering direction for the next several episodes. All I ultimately desire though, is for the seemingly imminent
triangle
involving Yamaken to be permanently dealt with prior to the conclusion of the show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Yeah unless you're stubborn like me and refuse to drop shows, this one really isn't worth the trouble. It was pretty much screwed when
they revealed Misaki's (the only girl actually worth a damn) feelings for Jin (the player). Now we're stuck with two uninteresting potential love interests for the MC while being reminded that best girl is already taken by some lame wal-mart brand pretty boy that feels he's not good enough for her (which he is right about).

rpmurphy

Magi 1

Trying to pick this one up. Not too bad for a pretty straight shonen show. The Arabian setting definitely sets it apart.

Also, I've fallen from the Yukko brigade. Hasegawa is my Nichijou of the month.

Noirulus

Girls und Panzer - 02

Some female shenanigans ending with (what seems to be) a training arc. I enjoyed this one more than the first episode. The instructor arriving at the school on a tank dropped off by an airplane was just wat.

Well, Misaki is good for some entertainment. I like genki girls though.

I thought it picked up around episode 4, so perhaps give it a few more episodes.

Yeah unless you're stubborn like me and refuse to drop shows, this one really isn't worth the trouble. It was pretty much screwed when
they revealed Misaki's (the only girl actually worth a damn) feelings for Jin (the player). Now we're stuck with two uninteresting potential love interests for the MC while being reminded that best girl is already taken by some lame wal-mart brand pretty boy that feels he's not good enough for her (which he is right about).

I guess i'll read the weekly impressions to see if its worth picking up again. Not digging it so far, though. However, reading this post has me wanting to check out episode 3, but the author of the piece seems to be spewing a lot of hyperbole.

Andrew J.

Smile Precure 39

I wonder if the other girls will get
solo fights
before the end of the show. The preview made it seem possible.

Also, :sdburton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom