• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

sure
just waiting for the blu rays

The fact that Bandai is dead make me worry about those Blu-Rays. Someone, anyone, needs to get rights to those in the US. It's one of the few shows that I love the dub too much to give it up.

FUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKK

BONES curse

Sounds like quite the whiplash after finishing The Skull Man!

Have you two not been watching the show so far? It's about the most insufferable thing around. Isn't going out with the biggest, stupidest bang possible the only "good" outcome?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The fact that Bandai is dead make me worry about those Blu-Rays. Someone, anyone, needs to get rights to those in the US. It's one of the few shows that I love the dub too much to give it up.

Have you two not been watching the show so far? It's about the most insufferable thing around. Isn't going out with the biggest, stupidest bang possible the only "good" outcome?

I have. I've been saying this was series was going to retcon and absolutely destroy the series ever since episode 12 or something. Everything after that one episode it was bullshit after another. I"m just reexpressing my.... lol.

yami4ct

Stop it! We know all the arguments. This thread is now about BONES complete failure to be awesome at anything anymore.

Blast of Tempest has been surprisingly good, given the source material quality it seems to work with. Also, they have Watanabe working on something for them, and that is inherently awesome.

kayos90

Blast of Tempest has been surprisingly good, given the source material quality it seems to work with. Also, they have Watanabe working on something for them, and that is inherently awesome.

Pretty sure duckroll would say that Skullman and Blasty says otherwise.

You totally should. It's really worth going back into. As for the companionship, you could totally come at the same theme from that direction. Bebop is about this group of misfits coming together in hopes of finding some companionship, but ultimately failing due to their pasts getting in the way.

Yeah, that's the big theme running throughout Bebop. Characters are haunted by their past. The main characters, but also many of the one shot characters, too. It also ties in with the world in general. The world of Cowboy Bebop is old and decaying, and obsessed with the past and the way things used to be. It's a lonely place to live in.

yami4ct

I was just thinking, is anyone else surprised that they haven't done a complete HD restore of Eva for Blu-Ray yet? Given the popularity of the films, it seems like leaving money on the table. Maybe when 4.0 comes out. If they could do a restore as nice as the Yu Yu Hakusho one, that show could look pretty great.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I was just thinking, is anyone else surprised that they haven't done a complete HD restore of Eva for Blu-Ray yet? Given the popularity of the films, it seems like leaving money on the table. Maybe when 4.0 comes out. If they could do a restore as nice as the Yu Yu Hakusho one, that show could look pretty great.
They haven't had the time to work on one. Anno and co have been making Rebuild since, what, 2005? Plus GAINAX is hardly a studio that comes up with multiple releases every year, so I imagine they are not that big on personnel to begin with.

I was just thinking, is anyone else surprised that they haven't done a complete HD restore of Eva for Blu-Ray yet?

Isnt that kind of what the expectation is, since well the tv show is oop and no one can license it. So I guess we can only assume that is a plan that may be in the works?
The series and original movies are both currently temporarily out of print. We and every other company around the world at the moment are unable to renew the rights, mostly due to the producers / director not allowing so as the new rebuild films are still being made. Once it's all out we can hopefully bring it back. We'll keep everyone informed of course.

yami4ct

They haven't had the time to work on one. Anno and co have been making Rebuild since, what, 2005? Plus GAINAX is hardly a studio that comes up with multiple releases every year, so I imagine they are not that big on personnel to begin with.

An HD restore wouldn't be tough to outsource, but I imagine Anno would probably want complete control and oversight of any such project. If that's the case, glad they're waiting. I'd love to see one, but only if done right.

yami4ct

Just finished the first 2 episodes of Eva. Holy crap, I forgot a ton of stuff. Simple things, like I never remember seeing SELEE as a council of real people. I just remember the faceless black monoliths. Also, the scene with Eva-01 without its head armor. Totally forgot that as well.

First 2 episodes of this show are great. What a good start.

trejo

Space Bros 32-33

Character development for Azuma was great and Hibito continues stealing all of Mutta's spotlight. A good showing all things considered but, again, I hope the show focuses back on Mutta's path to achieving his dreams soon since that's the real meat and potatoes of this show for me. Hibito's made it already so naturally a lot of the impact feels lessened.

Also, Nanba dad is awesome.

xFbiU.jpg

Space crotch shot!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
oh god you say this and now i'm tempted to check it back again
its more of a mutation
Oh man, that's actually almost true.
Uh... you're giving AO too much praise.
OVA 2 when.
LOL

Think about it bros. Remember in OVA1 when Ao
dresses up as Eureka
? It's fucking meta, bros!

---

Smile BabyCures
ViTY3l.jpg

So yeah, that happened. I'm glad they took the time to animate new transform sequences though.

xUylBl.jpg

Also, this is the first time they've acknowledged that only girls should watch this show right? Maybe that's DJmizuhara in the back. lol

Yurirella
Q5s7fl.jpg

Strangely enough, because Heartcatch was all flower based and Suite was all music based, I thought Smile would be all about fairy tales... so this is what I expected the show to be like. But I think I'm okay with the show not really having a theme. Just doing random episodes every week works because it lets them change it up all the time.

SYlxXl.jpg

I also do appreciate that they're all meta, even if it makes absolutely no sense in universe. This sequence got a laugh out of me anyway. lol

Looks like they're back to normal next week though. :(

CorvoSol

Seriously, Gundam SEED is an exercise in slap-teasing. All I want is to see someone get slapped, and the arguments FREQUENTLY arrive at the moment when a slap is the most appropriate response, BUT NO ONE DOES IT.

Frankly, the whole show feels physically isolated. Aside from Mu and Flay, everybody seems afraid of physical contact. Except Lacus, who is too pure and innocent to understand what physical contact means.

There better be a damn good explanation for how in the space of one day Kira is transferred from a deserted pacific island TO LACUS' SPACE GARDEN.
Otherwise I am fully prepared to say that Kira and Lacus aren't actually characters from Gundam, but are in fact migrants from a Disney movie. Seriously, give Kira a duet with Lacus and the whole show literally becomes the Disney version of Gundam.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 8

I love this show. Just so you know, this show is female approved. Have a lady over, and woo her with this tale of complex romanticism and indecision. She'll appreciate how the show is narrated from the woman's point of view, and she'll enjoy hearing her mull over her internal thought process, revisiting several decisions that she had already worked out before. She think the rooster is so cute, and most of all, she'll be impressed by your endurance as you watch the show quietly with her without ever criticizing the stubbornness of the MC.

Ladies vs Butlers 1

Okay do not watch this with any females in the room.

Jacob

More Cowboy Bebop discussion is never a bad thing.

If I had to resume Cowboy Bebop in a sentence it would be a cartoon about a bunch of pathetic losers who cannot move on with time. It's a pretty sad state of things.

I always thought that the closing lines in each episode did a really good job of summing up the themes in a poignant way. Especially the final episode:

You're Gonna Carry That Weight

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pet Girl 7

I was prepared for this episode to be complete trash:
QEXN7l.jpg

But it was so weird and, for the lack of a better word, Shaft-y that I think the director also knew that the material was shit too so he/they just went with it.

Since it's all visual gags, I won't post any, but I will say that this was the one that I laughed at: http://i.imgur.com/se20Wl.jpg

Really, it was like this was a missing episode of Natsu no Arashi or something. Or maybe early HidaSketch. lol

Also, some post-credits meta humour for shiggles: http://i.imgur.com/zeyqul.jpg

Finally, this is going to bug me so I thought I'd ask - what is Sorata's ringtone during this sequence?
sYKTVl.jpg

wonzo

Banned
HidaSketch x Honeycomb 6

The first part was pretty much the usual antics but the second half was not only the saddest part in the series since the cat episode, but also one of the most visually striking. It'll be a shame when SHAFT manages to fuck it up with the home release somehow. :(

iWeP2UbVOhdH8.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
everything is shaft to firehawk
Another way to put it is that Shaft has done everything. lol

HidaSketch x Honeycomb 6
The first part was pretty much the usual antics but the second half was not only the saddest part in the series since the cat episode, but also one of the most visually striking. It'll be a shame when SHAFT manages to fuck it up with the home release somehow. :(

http://i.minus.com/iWeP2UbVOhdH8.gif
Needs more fewer abs.

kayos90

Pet Girl 7

I was prepared for this episode to be complete trash:
QEXN7l.jpg

But it was so weird and, for the lack of a better word, Shaft-y that I think the director also knew that the material was shit too so he/they just went with it.

Since it's all visual gags, I won't post any, but I will say that this was the one that I laughed at: http://i.imgur.com/se20Wl.jpg

Really, it was like this was a missing episode of Natsu no Arashi or something. Or maybe early HidaSketch. lol

Also, some post-credits meta humour for shiggles: http://i.imgur.com/zeyqul.jpg

Finally, this is going to bug me so I thought I'd ask - what is Sorata's ringtone during this sequence?
sYKTVl.jpg

I didn't get the ABC part.

trejo

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 6-7

This show. This fucking show. How can something so ugly be so damn beatiful?

My body cannot withstand all this manliness. All this fabulousness. I said gawd damn numerous times.

CorvoSol

Gundam SEED Episode 32

Yeah, no, I'm not buying that.
Oh I, a blind priest on an island in the pacific found your body, Kira, but nobody contacted me when ORB was searching the area for you, and I couldn't have been reached anyway because in the space of a day I made the trip from my so remote island that ORB forces didn't even think to stop there to talk to me, to the PLANTs in one day. Even with the excuse that he was already making that trip to see Seagel Clyne, it makes no sense that he would take Kira, an Earth Forces soldier, and deliver him to Seagel's daughter, and not the appropriate authorities. But I guess magical seeds are the answer, so whatever.

And DAMN THIS SHOW AND IT'S NOT SLAPPING ANYBODY. Flay deserved it this time, Sai! C'MON AND LET LOOSE.

kayos90

Gundam SEED Episode 32

Yeah, no, I'm not buying that.
Oh I, a blind priest on an island in the pacific found your body, Kira, but nobody contacted me when ORB was searching the area for you, and I couldn't have been reached anyway because in the space of a day I made the trip from my so remote island that ORB forces didn't even think to stop there to talk to me, to the PLANTs in one day. Even with the excuse that he was already making that trip to see Seagel Clyne, it makes no sense that he would take Kira, an Earth Forces soldier, and deliver him to Seagel's daughter, and not the appropriate authorities. But I guess magical seeds are the answer, so whatever.

And DAMN THIS SHOW AND IT'S NOT SLAPPING ANYBODY. Flay deserved it this time, Sai! C'MON AND LET LOOSE.

Are you still watching the normal one or the remaster?

Defuser

Magi ep 7
At least there's naked Sinbad. 3/4 in there's already signs of content being cut and I ain't too happy with it. Fukujun isn't a good choice for Cassim. Should have went for Yuichi Nakamura instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom