• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Given my propensity to like things others hate, and my love of things irrationally insane, I predict I will end up defending the E7:AO ending. There is no possible way to get worse. Given those low expectations, I'm hyped for this. We'll see when I watch it tomorrow.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I doubt Ill ever watch Age.

I think OO is worse than Destiny though. At least Destiny had entertainment value in how bad it was. I remember when episode 50 came out, and the "Flawless Victory" screencap was being spammed. It was just so ludicrously amazing, rofl.

There are two things I liked about Destiny. One is the flawless victory. The other is a legitimately good moment in a Gundam Series, since it happens so very little. Episode 30...something. How Shin beat Kira. Its a damn shame they didn't follow through with it, but analyzing, burning everything in one go with superior conditions, and exploiting his weakness. Taking down a far superior pilot with an actual worked out plan.

duckroll

Given my propensity to like things others hate, and my love of things irrationally insane, I predict I will end up defending the E7:AO ending. There is no possible way to get worse. Given those low expectations, I'm hyped for this. We'll see when I watch it tomorrow.

"It can't get any worse" is a pretty damning assessment in itself. Lol.

Jex

Eureka 23-

NOT A GOD DAMN THING IN THIS SHOW MAKES ANY SENSE.

While it's pretty, this is worst than any Lindelof script I could begin to imagine. It makes the Prometheus script look Oscar worthy. Why is X doing Y? How is this possible? Apparently nobody producing the show gives a shit as they're too busy with the camera angles to take a minute to actually look at the fucking script. It's like a bunch of monkeys throwing their feces at a wall and someone trying to interpret it as art.

Also if this is the way that they handled the main villain then this will go down as the shittiest and most anti-climatic show I have ever seen or read. No hyperbole there, I am dead serious. There hasn't been any payoff to a single thing in this show.

This is worst than the Eureka 7 movie. Atleast with that, it was two hours of bullshit.
As it was foretold.

yami4ct

"It can't get any worse" is a pretty damning assessment in itself. Lol.

But it's so true. Episode 23-24 could be one long robot dance party and it would be better/make more sense than the rest of the show. As I said back when 22 came out, the only possible "good" outcome would be to through logic out the window and just go full on insane. At least they can squeeze some entertainment value out of it.

Dead

well not really...yet
hype!
I still remember when I was questioning what was going on in the story in the earlier episodes
and people thought I was crazy
whos crazy now!
After reading the spoilers, I really have to wonder what the whole point of the project was.

Was the thing rushed out the door somehow? I mean, literally nothing about the show adds anything to the original series. It adds nothing to the world, the characters, the...I mean nothing is gained by watching this sequel. It's really kind of mind boggling why the show as it is even exists. There has to be some kind of story behind the production of this show that's just begging to be leaked.

I can't even be mad at it, because really...it doesn't matter at all. Its so disconnected from the original in everything from tone, design, setting, worldbuilding, character, story, etc

Grzi

The ROD OVA is great. Solid action, great music, crazy villains. We don't get action OVAs like that these days. :(

Yeah man, one of the first
fansubs
I watched and I loved every minute.
Still haven't gotten around to watching the TV show. :(

The R.O.D OVA owned and was pretty much last thing DEEN ever made that was consistently well animated.

Had no idea it was them, what the fuck?!

yami4ct

So, I sat down to watch the first couple episodes of Eva this evening. Just to get started on my rewatch. Ended up watching 12. Oops. First time that's happened in a while.

So I wanted to ask, what do you guys think is the best way to handle the ending? My first thought was just to go through, watch the original end to experience the show in its "pure" form, than go to the movie, but than I had another idea. What if I watched the first "episode" of the movie, than the two episodes of the original end, followed by the final movie episode? Sounds crazy enough to be worth a shot.

Dresden

So, I sat down to watch the first couple episodes of Eva this evening. Just to get started on my rewatch. Ended up watching 12. Oops. First time that's happened in a while.

So I wanted to ask, what do you guys think is the best way to handle the ending? My first thought was just to go through, watch the original end to experience the show in its "pure" form, than go to the movie, but than I had another idea. What if I watched the first "episode" of the movie, than the two episodes of the original end, followed by the final movie episode? Sounds crazy enough to be worth a shot.

It won't matter much if you've already seen them. Sequence only matters in lieu of foreknowledge.

To think that in two years time they went from the R.O.D OVA to Yami to Boushi!!!

shit sux :(

Also ROD TV is pretty good too f the haters

yami4ct

It won't matter much if you've already seen them. Sequence only matters in lieu of foreknowledge.

I've "seen" them, yes, but if this rewatch has taught me anything, it's that I have zero memory of anything not from EoE. It's like a fresh experience. So, this is pretty much going in blind again.

Grzi

Second part of the second Kenshin OVA was pretty bad at times. Shit was jarring after the first OVA and the first ep of the second.

That second OVA (its ending to be exact) is one of the worst shows I ever watched, fuck that shit and what they did with Kenshin, FUCK THAT SHIT!

To think that in two years time they went from the R.O.D OVA to Yami to Boushi!!!

I really should watch Yami to Boushi one of these days
and School Days, and Blood-C

yami4ct

That second OVA (its ending to be exact) is one of the worst shows I ever watched, fuck that shit and what they did with Kenshin, FUCK THAT SHIT!

Not adapting the final, and pretty great, arc of the Kenshin manga is still one of the greatest tragedies of our time.

Dead

well not really...yet

I think a rewatch should be TV 1 - 24 (using the Directors Cuts of the later episodes) followed by End of Eva, for a seamless complete experience.

The original ending in my opinion holds more value as archival material. Though of course if one was to watch Eva for the first time I would recommend the original TV broadcast of 1 through 26.

yami4ct

I think a rewatch should be TV 1 - 24 (using the Directors Cuts of the later episodes) followed by End of Eva, for a seamless complete experience.

The original ending in my opinion holds more value as archival material. Though of course if one was to watch Eva for the first time I would recommend the original TV broadcast of 1 through 26.

But the original end is still a part of Eva, it's not an alternate end. It's hard for me to drop something, as surrealist as it is, that has even slight significance.

Also, I just really want to watch the original end because I remember nothing about it except it being super surreal.

Narag

I'm fine with that. Shit was a downer all around so it was consistent. The stupid ass Enishi fight was the insulting part.

The tiger irritated the shit out of me too.
dgNpM.jpg

It looks like a guy in a suit there.

Dresden

I've "seen" them, yes, but if this rewatch has taught me anything, it's that I have zero memory of anything not from EoE. It's like a fresh experience. So, this is pretty much going in blind again.

I mean, it's your barn so do what you gotta do, but I don't think there's anything to gain by watching in the order you suggested. Breaking sequence isn't going to provide a new experience or some revelatory insight or anything. The TV airing + EoE works just fine.

Dead

well not really...yet
But the original end is still a part of Eva, it's not an alternate end. It's hard for me to drop something, as surrealist as it is, that has even slight significance.

Also, I just really want to watch the original end because I remember nothing about it except it being super surreal.
Ok, if you watch the original ending, here how I recommend to watch End of Eva after:

Death, followed by End of Eva immediately after the credits as one near 3 hour experience. I think thats actually the definitive version of the film IIRC.

yami4ct

I mean, it's your barn so do what you gotta do, but I don't think there's anything to gain by watching in the order you suggested. Breaking sequence isn't going to provide a new experience or some revelatory insight or anything. The TV airing + EoE works just fine.

You're totally right. It's late and it sounded interesting at the time. Given I'm just going to barrel into a re-watch of rebuild right after, no reason to futz around with ordering.

Ok, if you watch the original ending, here how I recommend to watch End of Eva after:

Death, followed by End of Eva immediately after the credits as one near 3 hour experience.

That's something I can get behind.

Grzi

Not adapting the final, and pretty great, arc of the Kenshin manga is still one of the greatest tragedies of our time.

True, especially after witnessing how well they adapted the Kyoto arc.

I'm fine with that. Shit was a downer all around so it was consistent. The stupid ass Enishi fight was the insulting part.

The tiger irritated the shit out of me too.

It looks like a guy in a suit there.

Yeah, the tiger looked fucked up. :D

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Two shows I should probably get to watchin soon:

Gundam 00

I have never seen a Gundam.

Diebuster

I have never seen Gunbuster.

Well, I guess I'm set :p

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, like I remembered, the final release of the Evangelion movies in Japan on DVD is " Revival of Evangelion: Death(true)²/Air/Magokoro o, Kimi ni" a 163 minute feature. Rebirth is obviously gone as its no longer necessary, and the full movie experience is indeed intended to be Death + EoE.

Im not sure if the full movie is on one disc or not though, due to DVD file size restrictions. Just another reason to want a Blu-Ray of it, as if there werent plenty already.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Eureka Seven AO 24

Wow. That was absolutely, positively, indubitably, undeniably bad. lol. It stripped all meaning of the entire show and somehow managed to make the original series complete BS. This is the ultimate of retcons. This is the ultimate troll. This is the ultimate shitty ending that one can imagine considering the road taken to get here. rofl.

yami4ct

Two shows I should probably get to watchin soon:

Gundam 00

I have never seen a Gundam.

Diebuster

I have never seen Gunbuster.

Well, I guess I'm set :p

If you're going to even bother to jump into gundam, you might as well pick one of the better shows. If you can stand the old look 0079 is still fantastic, though The Origin is coming and that will hopefully be a full remake. Zeta is always a good jumping on point. If you want an AU series, I may not like it but Wing brings a lot of people into the franchise. G Gundam is barely Gundam, but still really good.

If I was looking into jumping in, I'd recommend just waiting to see what The Origin turns out to be. Supposedly, it's coming next year so we should find out soon. If it is a full remake of 0079, there has never been a more perfect jumping on point.

Yeah, like I remembered, the final release of the Evangelion movies in Japan on DVD is " Revival of Evangelion: Death(true)²/Air/Magokoro o, Kimi ni" a 163 minute feature. Rebirth is obviously gone as its no longer necessary, and the full movie experience is indeed intended to be Death + EoE.

Im not sure if the full movie is on one disc or not though, due to DVD file size restrictions. Just another reason to want a Blu-Ray of it, as if there werent plenty already.

As someone into giant supercuts of movies, I fully back this idea. Even though Death is just a compilation movie, the idea of airing seamlessly with EoE is almost too good an idea to pass up. I hope the eventual Blu-Ray provides this.

Speaking of supercuts, once Rebuild is over, I kind of want a giant supercut of that. It'd be comically huge, but fascinating at the same time.

Eureka Seven AO 24

Wow. That was absolutely, positively, indubitably, undeniably bad. lol. It stripped all meaning of the entire show and somehow managed to make the original series complete BS. This is the ultimate of retcons. This is the ultimate troll. This is the ultimate shitty ending that one can imagine considering the road taken to get here. rofl.

Sounds perfect. I was waiting for 24 to hit so I can watch it uninterrupted in all its insane glory. Cannot wait to check it out tomorrow.

kayos90

I knew the last two episodes were going to be shit. I did. However, I couldn't fathom how unbelievably horrible these last two episodes were going to end up being. I realized that listing the reasons for why it is so is a task insurmountable. There's so many things wrong with these last two episodes - heck the last episode alone - that one can write a dissertation about it. Seriously. It's horrendously bad.

EDIT: If you try to make the point that this entire series, let alone these last two episodes, make complete sense. If you try to tell me that everything was perfect about the plot in dealing with this shit. If you tell me ANYTHING about how the narrative in AO is good, I will slap you silly.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Watching Diebuster without having seen Gunbuster is a huge mistake.

D: Okay new plan. Watch Gunbuster. Get schooled by the old-school goodness.

If you're going to even bother to jump into gundam, you might as well pick one of the better shows. If you can stand the old look 0079 is still fantastic, though The Origin is coming and that will hopefully be a full remake. Zeta is always a good jumping on point. If you want an AU series, I may not like it but Wing brings a lot of people into the franchise. G Gundam is barely Gundam, but still really good.

If I was looking into jumping in, I'd recommend just waiting to see what The Origin turns out to be. Supposedly, it's coming next year so we should find out soon. If it is a full remake of 0079, there has never been a more perfect jumping on point.

I'm not really looking to jump into the franchise. I just kinda want to watch one of the series. I randomly picked 00 because a few scenes I checked out online looked nicely animated. It doesn't have to be the pinnacle of Gundam, I just want an entertaining mecha show with a captivating story and some good action. But maybe I'll put it on hold until I can figure out how to get Gunbuster/Diebuster going.

Dresden

Eureka Seven AO - 24 [end]

LMCpX.png

Beginning of this episode needed to happen a few months ago.

I guess it might be due to me having no fucking clue what's going on (skipped a few eps), but I'm totally down with this ending. It doesn't make sense and there's a lot of unexplained tears, and I get the feeling that - just as the Retcon Cannon rewrote its canon thrice - it's the end result of many in-progress rewrites and rehashes, but then, it was clear after they failed to follow up on the excellence of episode 13 that the show might just be a conceptual failure. But . . . it feels good. I don't have to think about it. I laughed a few times, I was puzzled, and in delighted child-like confusion, I watched the credits roll.

My main disappointment is that at least Star Driver went out with a bang.

kayos90

Eureka Seven AO - 24 [end]

LMCpX.png

Beginning of this episode needed to happen a few months ago.

I guess it might be due to me having no fucking clue what's going on (skipped a few eps), but I'm totally down with this ending. It doesn't make sense and there's a lot of unexplained tears, and I get the feeling that - just as the Retcon Cannon rewrote its canon thrice - it's the end result of many in-progress rewrites and rehashes, but then, it was clear after they failed to follow up on the excellence of episode 13 that the show might just be a conceptual failure. But . . . it feels good. I don't have to think about it. I laughed a few times, I was puzzled, and in delighted child-like confusion, I watched the credits roll.

My main disappointment is that at least Star Driver went out with a bang.

Retcon Cannon? Sounds about write. AO never happened. I called it when they hinted this type of shit around episode 12 or whatever. Suck it to those who didn't believe me.

Grzi

D: Okay new plan. Watch Gunbuster. Get schooled by the old-school goodness.

You're in for a ride!

I'm not really looking to jump into the franchise. I just kinda want to watch one of the series. I randomly picked 00 because a few scenes I checked out online looked nicely animated. It doesn't have to be the pinnacle of Gundam, I just want an entertaining mecha show with a captivating story and some good action. But maybe I'll put it on hold until I can figure out how to get Gunbuster/Diebuster going.

The first season of 00 is good, the second one sucks, and you'll most likely want to watch the second season after you're done with the first, so that's fucked up.
I'd recommend you watch the three compilation films of the original Gundam and then watch Zeta. Or you could just watch Turn A.
Zeta and Turn A are the best.

Uchip

Banned
Uh. It doesn't end there. Whoever decided that his voice should be the same as Holland should also share the same fate.

going by his hair colour and dickish attitude along with the voice
im going to guess that he ate holland and became rentolland

im pretty good at this
bones should hire me

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka Seven AO- Fin

iRJO541SLtAYx.png

I would like to thank BONES for finally breaking me out of my apathy, for me to give my first ever 1 on MAL. Even for the atrocious shit that was the second season of Darker than Black, I never hated BONES as much as I do now. They wasted not only every fan's time but their own on a middling selling product that is doomed to fade into the abyss of history where it will be forgotten and a hallmark of shame for Aikawa and Kyoda, for those that bother to remember or give a shit. Kyoda has not only failed once with the Pocketful of Rainbows movie but with AO has finally demonstrated that he doesn't know shit about crafting a story and that the original Eureka Seven was probably nothing more than a fluke.

The visuals were pretty mediocre throughout the series despite a few hallmarks and while the final two episodes were gorgeous with action, it doesn't cover the shitstain that is the script. We have Deus Ex Machinas, Retcon Cannons, anti-climatic buildups, inconsistent character arcs/development, lack of character development, poorly explained mysteries and plot-threads, left open plot-threads, and every bad thing you can think of when it comes to writing. This is not how you do a time-travel story. The biggest compliment I can give the writers is that this isn't the worst ending I've seen all year, that dubious honor goes to Mass Effect 3 and Hack Walters. Instead what we got was an ending where even the writers knew how shit their show was, that they
retconned it out of existence
. Atleast they saved the fans the mental effort.

This is a sequel that contained none of the charm, characters, world, or even themes of the original and is instead an exercise on how to waste 24 episodes telling an overly convoluted story with no payoff. BONES should give out used condoms with every BD sale, so atleast the buyer knows they've been fucked.

Articalys

Weekly BD/DVD/CD Sales Rankings for November 12-18:

Blu-ray
*1, 1,366 **1,366 Acchi Kocchi vol.6
*2, *,946 **4,536 K vol.1
*3, *,812 170,918 Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone
*4, *,717 *31,433 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition
*5, *,664 456,517 Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance
*6, *,634 **3,266 K vol.2
*7, *,421 **7,749 Tari Tari vol.3
*8, *,360 **5,903 Five Star Stories Reprint Edition
*9, *,356 *34,692 Strike Witches The Movie Limited Edition
10, *,307 **4,001 Oda Nobuna no Yabou vol.3

DVD
*2, *,696 *,***,696 Acchi Kocchi vol.6
*7, *,561 1,165,658 Tonari no Totoro
*8, *,477 *,**2,084 K vol.1
16, *,354 *,**3,260 Momo e no Tegami
17, *,333 *,375,002 Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance
20, *,312 *,**1,359 K vol.2
23, *,282 *,***,590 Sore Ike! Anpanman
26, *,269 *,491,405 Majo no Takkyuubin
30, *,259 *,**8,497 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition

Single CD
*8, *,*17,219 *,*17,219 Psycho-Pass "abnormalize"
18, *,**4,788 *,*27,835 Ixion Saga DT "DT Suteru" "Let's go ED"
20, *,**3,837 *,**3,837 Kamisama Hajimemashita "Kamisama Hajimemashita" "Kamisama Onegai"
28, *,**2,207 *,**2,207 Danball Senki W "2 Spirits" "Legend"
31, *,**2,038 *,*16,744 Little Busters! "Little Busters!" "Alicemagic"
34, *,**1,906 *,*52,333 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari "Hikarifuru"
39, *,**1,750 *,**1,750 Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You "Can't Take My Eyes off You"
40, *,**1,730 *,*19,553 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! "Sparkling Daydream"
44, *,**1,656 *,*10,386 Code:Breaker "Dark Shame"
45, *,**1,623 *,*21,724 Macross FB7: Ginga Rukon - Ore no Uta wo Kike! "Nyan Nyan Fire!! ~Totsugeki Planet Exposion" "Virgin Story"
47, *,**1,564 *,*71,210 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari "Luminous"
50, *,**1,536 *,**1,536 Hanakappa "Hanakapparade" "Hanakapparadise"

-----------------------------------

Next week we'll have the v1 numbers for Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and BTOOOM!

kayos90

Weekly BD/DVD/CD Sales Rankings for November 12-18:

Blu-ray
*1, 1,366 **1,366 Acchi Kocchi vol.6
*2, *,946 **4,536 K vol.1
*3, *,812 170,918 Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone
*4, *,717 *31,433 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition
*5, *,664 456,517 Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance
*6, *,634 **3,266 K vol.2
*7, *,421 **7,749 Tari Tari vol.3
*8, *,360 **5,903 Five Star Stories Reprint Edition
*9, *,356 *34,692 Strike Witches The Movie Limited Edition
10, *,307 **4,001 Oda Nobuna no Yabou vol.3

DVD
*2, *,696 *,***,696 Acchi Kocchi vol.6
*7, *,561 1,165,658 Tonari no Totoro
*8, *,477 *,**2,084 K vol.1
16, *,354 *,**3,260 Momo e no Tegami
17, *,333 *,375,002 Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance
20, *,312 *,**1,359 K vol.2
23, *,282 *,***,590 Sore Ike! Anpanman
26, *,269 *,491,405 Majo no Takkyuubin
30, *,259 *,**8,497 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition

Single CD
*8, *,*17,219 *,*17,219 Psycho-Pass "abnormalize"
13, *,**9,446 *,**9,446 Miyano Mamoru "Ultra Fly"
18, *,**4,788 *,*27,835 Ixion Saga DT "DT Suteru" "Let's go ED"
20, *,**3,837 *,**3,837 Kamisama Hajimemashita "Kamisama Hajimemashita" "Kamisama Onegai"
28, *,**2,207 *,**2,207 Danball Senki W "2 Spirits" "Legend"
29, *,**2,178 *,**2,178 Ito Kanae "Colors!"
31, *,**2,038 *,*16,744 Little Busters! "Little Busters!" "Alicemagic"
34, *,**1,906 *,*52,333 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari "Hikarifuru"
39, *,**1,750 *,**1,750 Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You "Can't Take My Eyes off You"
40, *,**1,730 *,*19,553 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! "Sparkling Daydream"
44, *,**1,656 *,*10,386 Code:Breaker "Dark Shame"
45, *,**1,623 *,*21,724 Macross FB7: Ginga Rukon - Ore no Uta wo Kike! "Nyan Nyan Fire!! ~Totsugeki Planet Exposion" "Virgin Story"
47, *,**1,564 *,*71,210 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari "Luminous"
50, *,**1,536 *,**1,536 Hanakappa "Hanakapparade" "Hanakapparadise"

Rofl. SAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom