• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

E7 AO 24

Welp, that's an appropriate end to this show.

Goodbye Eureka 7 series, may you only be remembered for the original.

Jarmel

Banned
Those MAL scores will let BONES know what's up for sure.

All they have to do to know what is up is to look at their BD sales. I could show you a picture of my study with every Japanese Eureka Seven BD set and a good amount of extra products and show you the space that AO will never take up there.

Dresden

All they have to do to know what is up is to look at their BD sales. I could show you a picture of my study with every Japanese Eureka Seven BD set and a good amount of extra products and show you the space that AO will never take up there.

It was bad even during the show's early run.

Grzi

A Letter To Momo

SschA.jpg
Q1I5U.jpg

Great movie, superb direction, amazing visuals and a fantastic musical score all packed into a simple but charming story, this is the type of stuff I'd expect Ghibli to make these days. Too bad it bombed.
The first part of the motorcycle ride at the end looked so amazing, shit, I had to watch it a couple of times.

Uchip

Banned
letter to momo is an example of doing weather effects right
almost fell asleep during the majority of it though, some summer wars level of nothing happening for a long time

Dresden

Of course it was, however there is bad and there is shitting the bed.

I'm just sayin', it's unlikely to deviate from its average sales as a whole, and even if it does, the mark is so low that whatever backlash it gets is not going to make a significant difference.

Recent Bones series have all just fallen apart at the conceptual level, so I don't know if this one will be the one that finally forces them to take a hard look at whatever they're doing wrong.

Grzi

letter to momo is an example of doing weather effects right
almost fell asleep during the majority of it though, some summer wars level of nothing happening for a long time

I don't know, even when nothing was happening, I was too involved in the visuals to care.

Uchip

Banned
I don't know, even when nothing was happening, I was to involved in the visuals to care.

its certainly nice to look at
it felt kind of like a slice of life version of Spirited Away to me
even some of the characters and concepts look similar

Dresden

girls und panzer - 06

Impressive restraint in not showing their underwear here. Mizushima living up to his vow.

U4aMrl.jpg

So shonen - ONE SHOT, ONE KILL, ALL HEART, then tragedy strikes at the end. I love this show.

Thoraxes

E7 AO - 23+24

Well, it wasn't what I originally expected or wanted, but it was pretty, pandered to me, had Chiaki Omigawa, had robots, had flying circuses, and good music. There's plenty worse shows I could've watched.

All in all I liked it. Not taking the original E7 into consideration, I would put it in the average category on its own for my tastes. Was still worth my time to watch.

Also, I mean, it had Chiaki Omigawa. That was reason enough alone for me to watch it.

Eureka 7 AO 23-24

duckroll took the shot I wanted to use. :(

So I wasn't expecting much, and someone mentioned earlier that the ending was DtB2-tier in terms of BONES being BONES, so my expectations were at the absolute minimum.

Honestly after all the shit that'd already gone down leading up to this, I don't think this ending was as bad as DtB2's, unless, like with DtB2, you still had some sort of expectation that there was going to be a logical conclusion.

With that gone, the ending was pretty fun--plenty of sakuga, and the narrative/direction was pretty cohesive despite the words actually coming out of everyone's mouths. For 2 nuclear-level retcons occuring in the space of two episodes you as the viewer had at least a decent idea of what took place for most of them, even if they didn't make sense under more-than-light scrutiny. As far as the loose ends went, it felt like they'd built up so many that they just gave up on delivering on any of them(even while spinning out dozens more all the way up to the ending), lol.

I too would probably call this one of the worst shows ever if I had expectations to betray, but I didn't, so I can realistically say it's just terribly middling and mediocre for the effort that was clearly placed into it.

I still had fun watching it, so it's all good!

Thoraxes

Gunbuster - 01

Holy shit. This is perfect.

Dem girls, dem robots, dat animation, Wakamoto as Coach, the story, the school, the setting. It's all great.

IxCZV.jpg
Xyyfy.jpg

kach0.jpg
fq2L3.jpg

Cagali got slapped, and that's been it. I appreciated it, but if I'd known I only got one I'd have saved it for someone else.

I already have some crazy guesses as to who Rau is.

3)Rau is a clone of Flay's dad. Because.
4) Rau Le Creuset is Athrun's mom, because if this were Evangelion that's how it'd work out.

Loooool
excellent guesses

Articalys

Huh, another new anime for Spring, an adaptation of the manga series Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge.
The manga revolves around Kiri Haimura, a boy who loves to cut girls' hair. He happens to meet Iwai Mushanokōji, a girl with long, beautiful hair who is known as the "Queen of Hair." Her hair has been cursed to be forever uncuttable, but Kiri happens to have "Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge" — scissors that have the mystical ability to cut her hair. Kiri finds himself protecting Iwai from descendants of murderers wielding "Killing Goods."

Defuser

Single CD
*8, *,*17,219 *,*17,219 Psycho-Pass "abnormalize"
18, *,**4,788 *,*27,835 Ixion Saga DT "DT Suteru" "Let's go ED"
20, *,**3,837 *,**3,837 Kamisama Hajimemashita "Kamisama Hajimemashita" "Kamisama Onegai"
28, *,**2,207 *,**2,207 Danball Senki W "2 Spirits" "Legend"
31, *,**2,038 *,*16,744 Little Busters! "Little Busters!" "Alicemagic"
34, *,**1,906 *,*52,333 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari "Hikarifuru"
39, *,**1,750 *,**1,750 Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You "Can't Take My Eyes off You"
40, *,**1,730 *,*19,553 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! "Sparkling Daydream"
44, *,**1,656 *,*10,386 Code:Breaker "Dark Shame"
45, *,**1,623 *,*21,724 Macross FB7: Ginga Rukon - Ore no Uta wo Kike! "Nyan Nyan Fire!! ~Totsugeki Planet Exposion" "Virgin Story"
47, *,**1,564 *,*71,210 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari "Luminous"
50, *,**1,536 *,**1,536 Hanakappa "Hanakapparade" "Hanakapparadise"

-----------------------------------

Next week we'll have the v1 numbers for Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and BTOOOM!
Nice numbers for Abnormalize, hopefully Namae no nai Kaibutsu ED will do well when release.

sonicmj1

Eureka 7 AO 23-24

That ending was garbage. Incredibly beautiful garbage with a great soundtrack (
Those assholes had to go and remix Niji for the finale...
), but garbage nonetheless. There are a billion places you can start if you want to break down exactly why, but I'll just settle for saying that the final action sequence was one of the most nakedly contrived things in a show loaded with ridiculous contrivances, and it would have been solved if characters took a single minute to express their important concerns to people they were on good terms with. Instead... at least it looked good.

I can't tell if the show's message of trying to work through your mistakes instead of erasing them should be seen as a desperate cry for fans not to exile this show to the bargain bin of history, or as the most elliptical anti-abortion message ever conceived, but either way the story sucks.

I'm not as negative about the show as a whole, because it had moments of really impressive quality. But in the end, it was a waste, especially the back half.

I should stick to just watching good things.

Weekly BD/DVD/CD Sales Rankings for November 12-18:

Blu-ray
*2, *,946 **4,536 K vol.1
*4, *,717 *31,433 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition
*6, *,634 **3,266 K vol.2

DVD
*8, *,477 *,**2,084 K vol.1

Single CD
*8, *,*17,219 *,*17,219 Psycho-Pass "abnormalize"
18, *,**4,788 *,*27,835 Ixion Saga DT "DT Suteru" "Let's go ED"

-----------------------------------

Next week we'll have the v1 numbers for Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and BTOOOM!

I can't imagine Btooom! selling well, K v2 so much lower than v1 :(

E7 AO - 23+24

Well, it wasn't what I originally expected or wanted, but it was pretty, pandered to me, had Chiaki Omigawa, had robots, had flying circuses, and good music. There's plenty worse shows I could've watched.

All in all I liked it. Not taking the original E7 into consideration, I would put it in the average category on its own for my tastes. Was still worth my time to watch.

Also, I mean, it had Chiaki Omigawa. That was reason enough alone for me to watch it.

Well thats good to know, I was afraid it would be universally bad or something which would be depressing.

I guess Ill see the episode in 12 or so hours, hope it emphasizes and focused on the aspects I liked in E7AO.

duckroll

Girls und Panzer - Episode 6

Best show this season, confirmed. Each episode gets better and better, the characters are all lovable, the story is sporting as hell, the tank battles are exciting and a joy to watch, the music direction and arrangement is crazy good. What's not to like? This is the perfect marriage of a ridiculous concept, superb writing and direction, and a true understanding of what makes shounen sports appealing in entertainment.

It was totally worth waiting an extra week for this episode. The use of long aerial shots to show the tank movements in the battle really help to further highlight how well thought out the strategy and tactics are in the show. Amazing FUCK YEAH USA music throughout too. Can't wait for more. Just inject this directly into my veins please!

----

My Little Monster - Episode 8

KyoAni has totally ruined school festivals in anime forever. After the amazing Hyouka school festival arc, nothing really matches up. It doesn't help that this episode is really cheap, with bland visuals and lots of stills towards the end of the festival. The shoujo drama elements are kinda overdone at this point, and I didn't really enjoy this episode that much.

I think Shizuku and Haru's relationship has hit a point where I really just want them to shut up and fuck instead of dragging this on any further. Either that or give some episodes to the supporting cast instead, because focusing on a relationship which is going nowhere is getting annoying. >_<

----

Gyrozetter - Episode 8

Another episode that's a ton of fun. This time it's a filler episode where AI Cars are disappearing from around the city on their own accord. There's also a field trip for the Gyrozetter crew as they visit an AI Car factory to see how they're made. Of course after catching wind of the mystery of the missing cars, the gang tries to solve it on their own!

It's a nice throwback to a time where filler episodes like this were more common in all shows, and they could be just as good as the "plot" episodes depending on execution. It was nice to see the characters emphasize their quirks and develop on some of the relationships between them without it all being serious business. The events get extremely predictable, but entertaining at the same time. Good stuff! :D

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I liked the designs a lot
multi ethnic cast was kind of fresh

Oh I like that part of it, and I agree more is needed. It's like... the way they're drawn? The way the eyes and hair are rendered (line quality, shape etc.) just doesn't click with me. I had the same problem with Rahxephon. I had stopped watching that after three episodes and only finished later because people claimed it was amazing (which it wasn't).

Defuser

I think Shizuku and Haru's relationship has hit a point where I really just want them to shut up and fuck instead of dragging this on any further. Either that or give some episodes to the supporting cast instead, because focusing on a relationship which is going nowhere is getting annoying. >_<

Welcome to Shoujo.

Averon

AO 23 and 24

This series was a disaster. Got mired in its own mysteries and convoluted plot.

I hope this ends the series for good, but with
Truth disappearing into the time stream/alternate reality stream, or whatever you want to call it, and him saying he isn't done yet (whatever that means), I fear Bones may make another series/OVA/movie.

Ga Rei Zero 1-12

This was pretty good. At times felt rather rushed but it still managed to get me attached to characters. Animation was nothing amazing but not particularly bad either. Had some nice fight scenes too and it was refreshing to actually see some blood and limbs. It actually felt that those swords were deadly weapons. Had horrible CG though... You also got to see animated boobs! Now I kinda want to read the manga as this was prequel to it but I have heard that it's not that great...

Also show with yuri can't be bad!
alle.gif

Jex

KyoAni has totally ruined school festivals in anime forever. After the amazing Hyouka school festival arc, nothing really matches up. It doesn't help that this episode is really cheap, with bland visuals and lots of stills towards the end of the festival. The shoujo drama elements are kinda overdone at this point, and I didn't really enjoy this episode that much.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Demographic Sh&#333;jo

Looks like it's doomed!

Grzi

Eureka Seven AO: Jungfrau no Hanabana-tachi

Decided to watch this prior to watching the last two episodes. It was random and stupid, kind of fun and with okayish mecha action.

And now, onto the show finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom