• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the New World 8:
Well, that was a big shift from the last couple of episodes. The art seemed better here, although it wasn't consistent throughout the episode. But there were some nice touches, and I liked how Saki and Maria started dressing like one another in the second half.

Of course, this episode is big on all of the sexual tension and the 'society of love'. It's interesting to see how the characters have changed, compared to in Episode 5 when Saki rebelled against the idea. Part of it is the relieving of stress that was mentioned back in the info dump, but we can also see how it's becoming a societal thing and people need to fit in. Satoru and Shun's relationship in particular feels like a pretty realistic depiction of a typical 'first time couple', complete with the constant obsessions and not really having any idea what else to do except cling on.

Latter part of the episode also has some big developments for Shun, and starts to pick back up on continuing from the previous arc. Interested in just what he meant about
their punishment and what is coming next for them
. I also thought that one facial expression he made in the classroom was downright chilling.

There's such a big shift here that there's no doubt that we're in a new arc, and this isn't just the story continuing. I was really captivated by the episode, and I felt like the music was on point once again. Despite not every episode looking perfect, the show has been really compelling week in and week out, and the end of this episode definitely seems like it will set up some big developments in the next couple of episodes.

Eureka Seven AO 23-24 (end)
tumblr_mdtawzBhhW1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well that was actually really good. A portion of the ending was just really odd and not what I wanted but it is Eureka Seven so they have to have some type of
romantic inclined plot idea
present. I guess Im part of the fanbase that somehow left the episode teary eyed and stuff mainly because of the plot and the results thereof of it
since it seems Ao had to sacrifice it all for his selfish parents who oddly couldnt help themselves and had to leave things in the hand of their son, thankfully he is way more competant and compelling than the awful and annoying Eureka, just the same as she was in Eureka Sevean, and Renton (best shot) who still struggles to prove himself even after all he went through in that anime, having him (Ao) just not be remembered by anyone and have to drift alone, or rather alone with Truth was really sad and kind of touching in a kind of way. I can only hope he has new things and keeps the new look. I like it alot and if he keeps boarding, even better

I actually did have a wish fulfilled this episode set so it made things even better. I mean having
Truth go through all that intense action stuff, betray Naru like thankfully since she was getting in the way and trying to lead Ao astray, then give us so many glorious action moments, and finally, after a physical lesson in understanding, to join the ranks with Ao and team up and then act all friendly, that was a really good reward and certainly extremely pleasing. I was hoping they would somehow have them both team up to understand and reach the Truth, since they were similar in that way for awhile.

Anyway the action and how things tied together with the glorious visuals, the swift fast paced brilliantly colored laser beams and ballistics with the camera continuously struggle to keep up and the linearly intersection paths keeping it looking fast paced, it was fun. Best characters, Ao (easily relatable, fun, and oftentimes shared the same feelings or thoughts I had at the events in the episodes, if I didnt understand something, he didnt understand something), Truth (excellent design), and Juno han(sp?)

I think Eureka Seven Ao as a whole improved upon just about everything I disliked for Eureka Seven, forgoing any sort of dumb unappealing romance plot thread and keeping things focused on addressing deep questions through science fiction ideology, historical events, and ultimately, finding the truth in this world with better music, action, and visual quality, I do like this way more than Eureka Seven. Unfortunately Ao also shows that they still struggle to write an appealing ending, they were close but as already said had that show up in it to make things feel unwanted. I did scratch my head at the plot in Ao though
so many parallel worlds, how to keep them straight especially when it incorporates both, space, time, and peoples existences.
Will have to rewatch when Funi dubs it and I buy it, hopefully they do that in 2013.

CorvoSol

So I'm almost to episode 40 now in Gundam SEED, which means the show is almost over, and I confess I've had my doubts about all of this from the get-go, but I DO applaud the show for not being ashamed to show just how horrific and grisly war, and giant robot battles, can be.
The Cyclops' results in Alaska, Nichol's helmet filling with blood and then exploding, and now the attack on Panama do a really good job of showing just how gruesome this whole conflict has gotten.
And Lacus
standing up to Athrun
was surprising.

In the remaining 8 or so episodes I have in this show, I'm assuming things are going to get much more grisly before getting better. Also, I find it hilarious that the Cpt. Ramius' gainaxing is done in stock footage. Like Archangel takes a hit-> scene of Murrue leaning forward as her breasts bounce in six directions.

So I'm almost to episode 40 now in Gundam SEED, which means the show is almost over, and I confess I've had my doubts about all of this from the get-go, but I DO applaud the show for not being ashamed to show just how horrific and grisly war, and giant robot battles, can be.
The Cyclops' results in Alaska, Nichol's helmet filling with blood and then exploding, and now the attack on Panama do a really good job of showing just how gruesome this whole conflict has gotten.
And Lacus
standing up to Athrun
was surprising.

In the remaining 8 or so episodes I have in this show, I'm assuming things are going to get much more grisly before getting better. Also, I find it hilarious that the Cpt. Ramius' gainaxing is done in stock footage. Like Archangel takes a hit-> scene of Murrue leaning forward as her breasts bounce in six directions.

I can still recall that scene from my memory. Saw it so many times lol

CorvoSol

I can still recall that scene from my memory. Saw it so many times lol

It almost makes me appreciate it when she wobbles in some other way, because at least then I know someone animated it.

Also, does no woman in this damn show wear a bra? I swear it seems that way. Cagali's getting stripped by her maid->Underboob. Captain Ramius leans back slightly in her chair in her t-shirt-> earthquake. Lacus' outfits are so revealing at times I have trouble believing she picked them herself. Andy Waltfeld's woman's open-backed weird 80s Sean Connery Bond girl outfit def did not look like it.

I guess it's just the women who you're not supposed to care about at all: Flay, Mirialia, and to a lesser extent, Lt. Badgiruel. Although, for all that they play up Capt. Ramius and play down Lt. Badgiruel, the Lt. is the one with the gratuitous shower scene, and the Captain is not.

Uchip

Banned
Eureka Seven AO 23-24 (end)
tumblr_mdtawzBhhW1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well that was actually really good.

lol
I think you may be the only person on the planet with that opinion

I'm so tempted to watch AO now. I loved the original, and this just looks too polarizing to pass on!

there is nothing polarizing about it
its just straight up nonsensical

you cant call something polarizing when its just DTL that likes something

Maedhros

Let's do a list. Lists are fun, fun, fun.

Best and worsts soundtrack/OST list (for this season)

Best
Jojo
Jormungand
Ixion Saga

Worst
Magi
K
Little Busters

Rest aren't really memorable... just average

Naruto SD 34
tumblr_mdtdvkTSWD1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mdtdysq5M51qbxqfpo1_500.png

This episode made me laugh so much, so many of the little moments or just the lines that they said. Ichiraku Ramen and the kind of reference to the main show they made where it often seems like Naruto is the only customer they get (scene of Naruto clones all over the place in those scenes).

They went a whole episode without playing my favorite song on the ost :/

Let's do a list. Lists are fun, fun, fun.

Best and worsts soundtrack/OST list (for this season)

Best:
1. K
2. Magi
3. Medaka Box Abnormal
4. Code:breaker
5. HxH (ost 3, idk)
6. Jormungand Perfect Order
HM: JJBA (2012), Bakuman 3

I dont think I have any on a worst list, probably just instances in the anime where the music could be used better, or the anime having only one good song (that piano track in Little Busters, for example). I also disagree with that streaming review from ANN about My Little Monster having an "overworked soundtrack."

Mandoric

Banned
I'd nominate Hidamari Sketch, but that's kind of unfair; its music is agglutinative rather than replaced for every season, so it gets to use the best of the past half-decade along with a few new tracks.

On the other hand, they used this again for the first time in a while, which I always love because it comes from the fever dream episode and reminds me of fever-dazed early mornings here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Listening to this right now, his rant on buying VHS tapes with two episodes a piece of EVA cuts me deep. My first out-of-my-own-pocket anime purchase was DVD volume 1 of fucking Vandread for about 450 Mexican pesos (~around 40 USD at the time), which only included the first two episodes as well. :(

Worst thing, I could not find The End of Evangelion when I was a kid. I think I first watched it on Betamax around 2003 thanks to a friend who let me borrow it for the holidays. I had to turn every stone and pebble to find a working Betamax! I used Love Hina to alleviate the frustration.
The good thing about Chinatown is that, at least in the 90s, not one fuck was given about piracy, so anime was really, really cheap for me.

Around the fifteen minute mark:
I think the move to digital production has allowed studios to be a little bit more consistent about their output
Clearly the opinion of someone who doesn't watch that much anime!
They hate modern anime! lol

NeonZ

Smile Precure - 36

Who is this goofy looking, Terry Bogard (R U OKAY) line spitting motherfucker doing in my magical garden?! Seriously? They had to take the strongest OTP in this damn show and screw with it?!! :mad: Why couldn't this been a Reika episode, hell even Miyuki? Why in the world would you want to fuck with the fandom's Nissan pairing?

Akane is, by far, the least popular Smile Cure in Japan, both among the main target audience, little girls, and also among older fans. So, they basically chose the character no one there cares about for this episode.

Jormungand Perfect Order 7
tumblr_mdtgilE9Uv1qbxqfpo1_r1_500.png

Lutz ftw, backstory with Wilee and this whole episode in Iraq was really good and comedic at times (no Time to Attack?!). Best part
Jonah being scared of Wilee and then that comment about never missing one of his language classes ever again

Liked the episode, wish the vehicles were of a different style.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Akane is, by far, the least popular Smile Cure in Japan, both among the main target audience, little girls, and also among older fans. So, they basically chose the character no one there cares about for this episode.

Well viewers in Japan have shown their terrible taste when it comes to characters lately so I'm not surprised by that... *cough*
SAO
*cough*

Smile Precure's OTP.

trejo

Eureka Seven AO 23-24

Well, I anticipated audiovisual spectacle and nothing else and that's precisely what I got for the most part so I can't complain too much. Mechas soared, guns were shot and things exploded in fulfilling fashion all accompanied by a sweet soundtrack and a neat remix of one of the original show's best songs. Good times were had.

The show as a whole? Yeah, this project was an absolute waste of time for everyone involved that is best left forgotten in the landfills of anime history, right next to the equally perfidious Pocketful of Rainbows. The original Eureka Seven remains on my list of top anime and thankfully, try as they might, these stains on its legacy do nothing to demerit its value in my book. Hopefully now, with the less than stellar performance this project received and deserves they'll finally get a clue and stop bastardizing the world and characters that I came to enjoy so much.

And as a final note, fuck whoever decided to
have Holland's voice actor play the role of adult Renton
. Seriously, fuck you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom