• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's clearly a show about puberty and how to deal with sexuality responsibly and not just parading your boners non-chalantly. Whether the execution worked is another issue entirely.

I could say the same about every other harem.
You are right, let's take everything at face value. Like Animal Farm? Man, those pigs are fucking jerks.

Cwarrior

Yeah
I remember when I was going through puberty and I had a gaggle of girls after me at every second

oh wait :(

unrealistic representation =/= symbolic representation

The kids 12 and has 3 girls making advance at him(one that's 17,one that's 20+ and one that's 12), so I guess that makes it a harem.

Tell me did you have a harem with 20+ girls in there when you was 12 uchip?

Uchip

Banned
The kids 12 and has 3 girls making advance at him(one that's 17,one that's 20+ and one that's 12), so I guess that makes it a harem.

the series wouldn't have worked if there was only one girl/trigger
instead we got a hobo, an alien and a girl his age being actual characters rather than sex objects with no other purpose
its not supposed to be realistic, or even set in our world and it knows it

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

The fact that most harem shows end up repeating an endless cycle of the same status quo for hilarity sake over and over kinda undermines your argument that FLCL is the same.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - 08

KaRcm.png
ONeLu.png

jiDZ3.png
w4HnY.png

After some bathtime fun both girls are spent.

tumblr_m5xr22UJM81qg7hcu.gif

As if I needed any more evidence. NibuxDeko OTP!

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 8
tumblr_mdva9uzTvX1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Had to agree with this part, Tomatoes, Olives, Okra, Yams, Peanut Butter on the list of things I wouldnt want to eat.

Episode wise beginning was really good with the fight that started up last episode.
Resolution of the teary scenes from the sisters to the make up thanks to Yuuta worked well.

I think they moved to fast in one episode though
for them to start having feelings and doki doki moments in this one night, just felt really odd, especially for Rikka, I guess I didnt think one of chu symptoms would be concerned with romance at this point in time, unless she likes him for being Dark Flame Master and not just Yuuta, which is an issue.

Favorite scene still being whenever Yuuta has flashes back to his past or gets into it.

Chuu2 8

inxwkG1xwaTMc.gif

Hmm, this slap was pretty flat, lacking in impact like most of the fight scene at the beginning which is in stark comparison to the earlier episodes. Oh well, at least the melodrama from the last episode isn't likely to drag out for another episode.

i think this slap worked in the context of them trying to talk to each other ..unfortunatly for them one is using TCP , the other UDP ..and they keep sending packets regardless

Wait ...what am i saying ? maybe i should stop working for the night ...

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I figured you'd probably like that part of the episode.

Indeed I did.

Now if only they had a scene where Deko sneakily climbed her way into Nibu's bed I'd be set. :D

You like the Fox News of Yuri, dawg. Cherry pickin them pics.

What do you mean? Three of those pics are one scene. The last is just the aftermath. Fox News status would be me editing pics. And I'd never do that.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 8
tumblr_mdva9uzTvX1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Had to agree with this part, Tomatoes, Olives, Okra, Yams, Peanut Butter on the list of things I wouldnt want to eat.

Episode wise beginning was really good with the fight that started up last episode.
Resolution of the teary scenes from the sisters to the make up thanks to Yuuta worked well.

I think they moved to fast in one episode though
for them to start having feelings and doki doki moments in this one night, just felt really odd, especially for Rikka, I guess I didnt think one of chu symptoms would be concerned with romance at this point in time, unless she likes him for being Dark Flame Master and not just Yuuta, which is an issue.

Favorite scene still being whenever Yuuta has flashes back to his past or gets into it.

The hints have been around
that Rikka liked Yuuta since the second episode, seeing him as a kindred soul. Yuuta believes that she doesn't think or understand herself, thanks to her delusions. She clearly does, but can only convey them in non-traditional forms.

My thoughts, at least.

Cwarrior

the series wouldn't have worked if there was only one girl/trigger
instead we got a hobo, an alien and a girl his age being actual characters rather than sex objects with no other purpose
its not supposed to be realistic, or even set in our world and it knows it

Nah you don't say a harem wouldn't have worked with one girl, the 12 year old girl showed up had an episode then became irrelevant as she faded in the background wow what an actual character she severed her purpose so quickly then faded into the background.

The story so original, it even has magical girl that moves into the main kids home.

Uchip

Banned
Nah you don't say a harem wouldn't have worked with one girl, the 12 year old girl showed up had an episode then became irrelevant as she faded in the background wow what an actual character she severed her purpose so quickly then faded into the background.

The story so original, it even has magical girl that moves into the main kids home.

1/6 of the show is dedicated to her? sounds like a pretty big portion ;)
Haruko was after his brother for the majority of it too, I dont think you can call that "going after him"
mamimi seemed to do her own thing for the most part too

if thats a harem then theyre not doing their jobs!

Maedhros

Robotic:Notes 06

Holy shit, the worst father prize goes to Subaru's Father. God, I want to punch him straight to hell.

Are you fucking serious you stupid piece of shit? A FUCKING FISHERMAN?!

Cwarrior

Actual characters are one use only apparently.

Haruko was after his brother for the majority of it too, I dont think you can call that "going after him"
mamimi seemed to do her own thing for the most part too

if thats a harem then theyre not doing their jobs!

Now even more pathetic excuses shame on you.

A 17 year old is doing sexual shit to a 12 year old boy at the river side but it's okay she's clearly not after him she pretending that's his older brother totally not going for him.

by your logic if your making love to woman and she's pretending your someone else it doesn't mean you had sex.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Peanut butter is only good when its in a reese's cup or when its inbetween two of those peanut shaped cracker things.

Thats it.

Oh and in ice cream.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Peanut butter is only good when its in a reese's cup or when its inbetween two of those peanut shaped cracker things.

Thats it.

Oh and in ice cream.

So basically the things that it's normally used for anyway?

...I eat it straight out of the jar, though. Extra crunchy or gtfo

Tomat

So basically the things that it's normally used for anyway?

...I eat it straight out of the jar, though. Extra crunchy or gtfo

It's not good in sandwiches.

It's also good on the roof of a dogs mouth so you can watch them lick their nose for three hours.... if you have nothing better to do for 3 hours that is... and are a bit of an asshole.

Tomat

False, I have some nutter butters in my refrigerutter that look like peanutters.

Cwarrior

you know you are actually posing a counter argument to yourself
harem characters feature prominently

no you can still be in a harem and be irrelevant all you have to do is show up every now then in background being all jelly and that's what she does, she there but just not relevant to whatever going on screen.

Say for example that blue hair girl in toradora, once she out lived her purpose she faded into the background she was still part of the harem but her role involved sitting between a vending machine being all jelly.

Uchip

Banned
no you can still be in a harem and be irrelevant all you have to do is show up every now then in background being all jelly and that's what she does, she there but just not relevant to whatever going on screen.

you're really still doing this? the girls in FLCL were not his harem, its that simple
hes not even the only male character

the two girls that feature in most episodes seemed to have a thing more for his brother
I dont know how you can possibly argue this

Cwarrior

you're really still doing this? the girls in FLCL were not his harem, its that simple

fascinating other males in that universe, tell me more.

the two girls that feature in most episodes seemed to have a thing more for his brother
I dont know how you can possibly argue this

Doesn't matter when his brother isn't even a character or exists his pretty much a mcguffin.

Say for example that blue hair girl in toradora, once she out lived her purpose she faded into the background she was still part of the harem but her role involved sitting between a vending machine being all jelly.

IN toradora there were plenty of love triangles in all directions but i don't think any character reached the harem status ... BAD EXAMPLE
Each character is focused on one target for the most part of the anime..it doesn't even end in harem end

--------------------
Hayate no Gotoku Can't Take My Eyes Off You - 08
The plot fall into place i'm suddenly more intrested to see how they will resolves everything.
More examples that the anime is set far into the manga timeline and the usual antics in the show.( misunderstandings powaa )
But the beginning of the episode really made me wish they had animated the Athena arcs
i mean the action was there ..i would have loved to see everything unfold properly ( including hayate & athena flashbacks ) Instead the choose to do this instead..it's not bad but despite the fact that it seems to get intresting i can't help but to think that they missed a pretty big opportunity

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! 8

This was a really good and sweetly romantic episode; definitely one of the best so far. Following the emotional conclusion to the last episode, this one was terrific, as it felt appropriately restrained, extensively developing Rikka and her relationship with Yuuta. The emotions, in a slight contrast to the last episode, were of a thoroughly subdued nature, which superbly complemented the wistful atmosphere that accentuated their romantic development.

Though the first half was quite good, the latter half of the episode was fantastic, due completely to the heightened focus on a plethora of romantically meaningful moments. As such, Yuuta and Rikka's interactions throughout the latter half of the episode were exceptionally engaging and beautifully simplistic, especially the scene in which she
forcefully stops Yuuta from leaving her
towards the end, then proceeds to
draw a symbolic mark on his hand
, denoting the elevated level of their contractual connection, which alluded to the moment their
eyes met through the reflection on the train window

One of my favorite moments was the scene that involved Rikka briefly indulges her affections for Yuuta by
smelling his shirt
. Their conversation
on the train
was really significant, illustrating a transition into an evident sort of
romantic connection between them
, as it essentially propelled the
mutual realizations of their feelings for one another
, particularly Rikka. Also, the momentary flashback to
Rikka's past
was nice and quite insightful, as it potentially indicates that her
attraction towards Yuuta
unknowingly formed a barely perceptible spark in the
earlier days of her seemingly forgotten youth

I loved the final sequence of scenes, in which
Rikka realizes the extremely elevated beating of her heart
and ponders the nature of her
confused, blissful emotions
, effectively noticing that
her feelings
are no longer derived solely from
Yuuta's "Dark Flame Master" persona
, which then leads into the terrific closing scene, as
she quietly kneels beside Yuuta's bed and gently nudges the hair from his sleeping eyes
. This was an excellently profound note of tranquility to conclude the episode on.

Tooka's
fight with Rikka
greatly illuminated her own struggles in
handling Rikka's delusional tendencies
, which, up until this point, was an indistinct element to her characterization, since, due to her willingness to continually
satiate that particular side of Rikka's personality
, it wasn't entirely clear whether or not Tooka fully approved of these frequent
excursions into fantasy
. The visuals that accompanied this moment deftly illustrated
Rikka's emotional, relatively traumatic complexities
wonderfully, particularly with the highly effective use of minimalistic interiors within her
former house
, followed by the painfully gradual,
corrosion of it's walls

Although they were slightly less prevalent throughout this episode, Shinka and Sanae's noticeably developing dynamic is effortlessly enjoyable, rarely failing to deliver some of the best moments in each episode. As such, Shinka, though quite the mediocre character at the start of the story, has slowly developed into one of the best characters in the show, since the interesting aspects of her characterization are illuminated by her interactions with Sanae. I also really enjoy
Kumin and Makoto's
relationship, since it constantly teeters on the edge of their potentially
mutual feelings
being properly established. As such, it's a shame
he didn't confess
, but it definitely seems to be a foreshadowed occurrence in one of the future episodes.

The direction was solid, excelling in particular moments, such as the great bench scene, in which
Rikka and Yuuta eat together, culminating with Yuuta feeding her a portion of his food
. The framing of this sequence really lent emotional weight to these seemingly insignificant interactions. Although it wasn't quite as visually stunning as several of the earlier actions sequences,
Tooka's fight with Rikka
was exceptionally storyboarded and rather well-animated. The show's narrative is easily among the strongest, most consistently well-told this season, as it hasn't, as of yet, felt a misguided obligation to incessantly interrupt purely natural relationship development with a plethora of unnecessary diversions and tedious, contrived complications, such as the numerous love triangles that have unfortunately contaminated nearly every romantically-driven show that's currently airing. This considerably impressive narrative execution has allowed for an excellently nuanced, highly satisfying approach to storytelling.

All in all, Chuunibyou continues to impress, particularly excelling with it's rather intriguing story, extremely likable cast of characters and the gradually increasing focus on the development of Yuuta and Rikka's compelling relationship. Hopefully, though it remains rather unclear toward which direction the narrative will ultimately follow, it appears to be increasingly likely that Rikka will eventually be motivated by Yuuta to transition into a thoroughly self-aware maturity, finally relinquishing the naive, imaginative facade she's meticulously constructed around a refusal to let go of her well-worn adolescence. Perhaps that would be considered altogether too serious of an implication and an unnecessarily ambitious development for a show of this nature, but I'm quite confident that it would lead to the most satisfying result for Rikka's character development and, consequently, the narrative as a whole.

Cwarrior

I tend to relate well to fans of One Piece
I guess I was wrong this time

I've never been someone that's too stubborn to admit there wrong when someone proves them wrong there's been times I have admitted to be wrong on gaf *shock* recent example look at the op redux thread not to long ago when talking about marine ford.

Your just doing a very crappy job defending flcl.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I've never been someone that's too stubborn to admit there wrong when someone proves them wrong there's been times I have admitted to be wrong on gaf *shock* example look at the op redux thread not to long ago when talking about marine ford.

He's not wrong though, and you haven't done much other than foam at the mouth like you usually do so there isn't even much to reply to/"defend"

wonzo

Banned
Kamisama Kiss 8

kamikiss8.jpg

This show's pretty empty once you start to look past all the charming faces it loves to pull. I honestly don't know why I haven't dropped this yet.

Cwarrior

He's not wrong though, and you haven't done much other than foam at the mouth like you usually do so there isn't even much to reply to/"defend"

You haven't done anything but tell people there wrong and insult them have you :)

Meh Flxl is boring anyways I don't wanna remember it.

Uchip

Banned
spontaneity and creativity are the very bones of what makes animation appealing, at least originally
Thats something that FLCL and OP have in common

I've never been someone that's too stubborn to admit there wrong when someone proves them wrong there's been times I have admitted to be wrong on gaf *shock* recent example look at the op redux thread not to long ago when talking about marine ford.

why would I need to defend an almost universally acclaimed anime? lol
might as well call me a vegetarian again, considering your main arguments consist of empty insults.

duckroll

As a thought experiment: How many people here would be in favor of there being a blanket ban on embedded images from all impression posts? Which means everything has to be linked instead, nofunallowed, etc.

Risette

A Good Citizen
As a thought experiment: How many people here would be in favor of there being a blanket ban on embedded images from all impression posts? Which means everything has to be linked instead, nofunallowed, etc.
Just ban insubstantial impressions instead.

7Th

duckroll is worse than Hitler confirmed.

Cwarrior

why would I need to defend an almost universally acclaimed anime? lol
might as well call me a vegetarian again, considering your main arguments consist of empty insults.

vegetarian is an insult now? I never intended it as an insult but playful banter, I have already apologized if i offended anyone who may have taken it offensively.

If your going to hold this over me, for my rest of my time on gaf then F U, you prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom