• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Gundam SEED Destiny Ep 2 LOL is it supposed to be so obvious that the new resident Char-Clone is
Mu La Flaga
? I mean, COME ON. I'm curious as to whether it was that obvious in Japanese. Also, that
Rei Za Burrel is in some way related to Mu and Rau? Kid has the Newtype flash and everything.

Grzi

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who are celebrating it :)

Tari Tari

It was okay. A bit bland, but fun enough. I was surprised by the production values, too bad the art direction isn't up to par.
The best parts were whenever Wien spoke German and that tokusatsu episode.

wonzo

Banned
WOLF'S (SUGITA'S) BUNS 34

polarbear34.jpg

:dtl

Can somebody tell me what's so great about Gintama? I honestly can't see it...
Watch episode 25.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My Little Precure: Smile is Magic 13
SD Burton levels all the way up to eleven.
When wideface goes wrong.
Not quite at the level of eighties anime hair, but I like it.

Girls discussing
what boys they like and whatever totally threw me off in a funny way, especially after the Kyoto K-ON episode where they do none of that shit. Elementary school girls are now more aware of romance than high school girls.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Girls discussing
what boys they like and whatever totally threw me off in a funny way, especially after the Kyoto K-ON episode where they do none of that shit. Elementary school girls are now more aware of romance than high school girls.

Except, when you think about it,
Miyuki has as close as you can get to a 2D complex on a show like this
, so an entire generation is getting stealthily corrupted into believing that it's okay to
be in love with fictional characters
!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
My Little Precure: Smile is Magic 13

Girls discussing

High School girls simply know better. ;P

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Except, when you think about it,
Miyuki has as close as you can get to a 2D complex on a show like this
, so an entire generation is getting stealthily corrupted into believing that it's okay to
be in love with fictional characters
!
But
everyone else in the group derided their friend's opinion, even if they did not voice it out loud. I would say Smile is in fact subverting otaku pandering crap like waifus and husbandos, instead
!
High School girls simply know better. ;P
It's necessary for the good of the human race to not promulgate
anti-reproduction
agenda the likes of which you propose.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But
everyone else in the group derided their friend's opinion, even if they did not voice it out loud. I would say Smile is in fact subverting otaku pandering crap like waifus and husbandos, instead
!

Well, when Miyuki is vindicated by her belief in the power of stories and fairy tales or whatever defeating Bad End Kingdom in the end, everyone's opposition will be for naught :p

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One Piece - Thriller Bark Arc (326-381)

There was one thing I was sure of in my life: a shounen would never be able to make me cry.

Welp, so much for that. I guess you did warn me, Mad Pierrot, haha.

At first, this arc was a bit weird, specially coming off the Ice Hunter filler arc. Why? Well, Ice Hunter was about
an island that roamed the Grand Line capturing smaller ships to sell the pirates who owned them for their bounties.
And, coincidentally, Thriller Bark semeed to be about...
An island that roamed the Florian Triangle capturing smaller ships to sell the pirates who owned them for their bounties.
Obviously, then came the revelation that
Moria was actually a Shichibukai
and thatescalatedquickly.jpg. Still, the first part of the arc turned me off a bit.
It dragged on and on and on and on... Shit seemed straight out of Kaizoku Musou, hahaha. Non-stop running and fighting weaklings, w00t. The haunted theme was funny and surprising (despite already knowing about the "Thriller" part in this arc's title, I never saw it coming), but the novelty wore off the moment that random awkward zombie dance number showed up. Also, the fact that Oda decided to pair Chopper with Nami and Usopp as "the weak guys" annoyed me a little. I mean, did he read Enies Lobby?

Then the secondary face-offs started, and the only one who was actually enjoyable was
Zoro x Ryuma... And it only lasted half an episode. Well, I guess Usopp x Perona was neat because of Usopp's trolling antics.
But, overall, the confrontations in the first half were really disappointing.
Absalom was crap and got beat like a sack of meat, Perona barely fought... But the worst part was the hyper-hyped Chopper x Hogback clash that never happened. I'm ok with the fact that the doctor wasn't actually a fighter, but Chopper couldn't even deliver that glorious suplex? Come on, Oda.

But then...

The second half was pure shounen hype.

But before that,
Brook! What an awesome fella. I was afraid that this would finally be the time they'd introduce a nakama I didn't like... But, nope. Guy's simply awesome.

And so
Oz stops being 100% stupid Luffy and becomes a 50-50 between stupid Luffy and awesome Luffy, and shit starts getting real. Moria and Oz weren't really remarkable in any way, but their absurd power was enough to satisfy me. Yes, the "Luffy chases Moria and gets bitten by Brick Bats" mini-arc was very aggravating, but what happened after all that crap made me forget about it. I won't describe those episodes in detail, but holy shit, this show needs more team fights. Hopefully with Pirates Docking Six showing up, too, alongside the ingenuity and actually good animation from the team attack that downed Oz.
Of course: Oda again managed to make everything much more interesting with a sudden twist.
Kuma the Pacifista blew my mind a little. He also blew Moria's mind, haha. "You gon' die, mang."

Surprisingly, though, everything that happened after the "conclusion" of the arc were its best parts.

- First, episode number mother fuckin' 377. Also known as the best episode in the series yet. I mean, OH MY GOD. You guys know what I'm talking about, so I don't have to say anything else here. Just, wow.
- And second,
Brook's backstory.
This is the part where the tears come in. The initial revelation led me to this, and then...
Those three flashback episodes killed me. Sanji's backstory was sad, yeah. Nami's was sadder. Chopper's was sadder than Nami's. Robin's, of course, was also sad as hell. And so was Franky's. But Brook's, oh man, let me tell you: this shit makes Romeo's trajectory look like a Dora the Explorer episode. First they had to abandon Laboon. Then their captain died. And then... Wow. It's been a while, but I just couldn't hold back when they decided to record Bink's Sake and all of Brook's nakama started dying.
The blend of feels was too much.

So: first half = bad, second half = One Piece. Overall, I liked it. Also, what the fuck.

Oh, yeah! It seems they're finally reaching the future events and things in the series that the universe spoiled for me:

(Spoilers for future arcs... As in, future for me)
-
No, Luffy, Ace's not gonna be ok. I'm getting kind of nervous now that the time is almost here...
-
They mentioned Hancock! Cool.
-
Kaizoku Musou starts off with Luffy, Zoro and Sanji destroying Pacifistas like they're nothing. That's kind of funny. Obviously they're most definitely not as strong as Kuma, but still.

Previous impressions: Arabasta, Jaya + Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Water 7 + Enies Lobby.

I love One Piece.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile Precure 13
Earth's too crowded as is. More yuri can only make more room for the newborns. ;P
I kid I kid.
Speaking of that, I knew they were
planning to get their teacher wet.
I just wasn't expecting it to be that kind of
wet
Well, when Miyuki is vindicated by her belief in the power of stories and fairy tales or whatever defeating Bad End Kingdom in the end, everyone's opposition will be for naught :p
It's like Instrumentality, but backwards.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I love One Piece.

Your One Piece impressions are always awesome. I just can't believe you didn't like Everybody Zombie Night! It was probably the single most bizarre moment in the entire series.

Still, yeah, the end of Thriller Bark has some absolutely heartwrenching shit in it.
Zoro's sacrifice and Brook's backstory
both had me absolutely weeping, no lie. Those two moments are such perfect encapsulations of what draws people to the OP narrative and its characters--I watch them and watch them again and they still have the same effect on me. Thriller Bark is definitely a flawed arc, but its highs easily match anything in Arlong Park and Water 7.

Damn I absolutely can't wait to read your thoughts when you hit the end of Sabaody Archipelago now. Keep it up!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Stuffing tastes like shit.

Back in Mazatlán we actually did seafood for Christmas. Ham-and-cheese-filled shrimp was great, not to mention lobster and octopi.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I love One Piece.

One Piece really is fun to watch. Reading your posts always give me the urge to run through the entirety of One Piece again. :D So many hype moments.

Thanksgiving Meal:
Regarding Thanksgiving my dad loves to cook so we had Turkey, Ham, Roast Beef, Macaroni and Cheese, Sweet Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Green Bean Cassarole, Potato Salad, Dinner Rolls, Cherry Cheesecake, Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake, and Sweet Potato Pie. It was amazing!

yami4ct

So I watched Death, more specifically Death (True2) and End of Evangelion last night and really, really enjoyed the experience. A big thank you to Dead for suggesting I watch Death as the first part of a double feature. I would have never thought of doing it, even though I own a copy of Death. I've never watched the thing, because I thought of it just as a recap movie.

The most surprising thing was how good that recap movie is. The way it weaves in and out different time periods, and different plots, fairly effortlessly makes it a really fun watch. Also, just a really good primer to make sure you know everything going on before going into EoE. The Quartet scenes interspersed are just great, trippy Eva stuff. It's just a ton of fun. The thing I was most impressed with was the cold open of all the
Second Impact stuff
. I know most, if not all, that footage was in the Director's Cut episodes I saw, but it was just a great open to a recap movie.

As for EoE, it's pretty much what I remember. It feels like one of the best ways to end a show as dense as Eva. It had the right amount of introspection and some fantastic action. The ending maybe gets a bit too trppy, but I still enjoyed it. The last 1/3 of that film is pure insanity. I had totally forgot about the
live action sequences
. Overall, it was as fantastic as I remember. I'm surprised how well they're able to wrap up some of the character stories. Even in all the insanity, what the characters do makes sense for the most part. That kind of thing can be hard to do when you go full crazy. It still has one of what I feel is one of Eva's major flaws. Some of the more insane or abstract bits feel like just there to spur questioning. At times, I feel there is no real answer. Probably because there isn't. Still, that kind of crazy is just a part of the fun.

I plan on doing both Rebuild 1 and 2 tonight as a double feature. I really look forward to re-watching both those with the series fresh in my mind. I'm particularly excited to check out Rebuild 1, as I remember very little deviation. I suspect I'll catch all the little changes now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
maybe they will do a One Piece Kai, with all the filler removed
and hopefully not censored

The only thing keeping me from catching up on the last year's worth of episodes is the thought of what the pacing in
Fishman Island
is going to be like. I expect agony.

Uchip

Banned
The only thing keeping me from catching up on the last year's worth of episodes is the thought of what the pacing in
Fishman Island
is going to be like. I expect agony.

its as bad as you think it is

maybe it would be better marathoning it rather than waiting weekly for something marginal to happen

madp

The Light of El Cantare
its as bad as you think it is

I guess it's safe to assume that
Punk Hazard
is fucked then, too. They'll probably turn the
confrontation with the Yeti Cool Brothers
into a month's worth of episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom