• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maedhros

Animation wise it's top notch but it's not balanced as the first half is good(some ok) but the later half is really really great, arcs after like Sabaody Archipelago,
Amazon lilly
and Impel down look great from start to finish.

Saobondy Archipelado, Amazon Lilly looks like shit, I don't know what you're talking about. SHIT with capital letters.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Only if you cook it wrong

hint: brine your meat!
There are also specific techniques to doing it in the oven to compensate for the different temperature targets in different parts of the bird.

Turkey doesn't have to be dry and bland. It's just not the easiest meat to cook.

Dead

well not really...yet
So I watched Death, more specifically Death (True2) and End of Evangelion last night and really, really enjoyed the experience. A big thank you to Dead for suggesting I watch Death as the first part of a double feature. I would have never thought of doing it, even though I own a copy of Death. I've never watched the thing, because I thought of it just as a recap movie.

The most surprising thing was how good that recap movie is. The way it weaves in and out different time periods, and different plots, fairly effortlessly makes it a really fun watch. Also, just a really good primer to make sure you know everything going on before going into EoE. The Quartet scenes interspersed are just great, trippy Eva stuff. It's just a ton of fun. The thing I was most impressed with was the cold open of all the
Second Impact stuff
. I know most, if not all, that footage was in the Director's Cut episodes I saw, but it was just a great open to a recap movie.

As for EoE, it's pretty much what I remember. It feels like one of the best ways to end a show as dense as Eva. It had the right amount of introspection and some fantastic action. The ending maybe gets a bit too trppy, but I still enjoyed it. The last 1/3 of that film is pure insanity. I had totally forgot about the
live action sequences
. Overall, it was as fantastic as I remember. I'm surprised how well they're able to wrap up some of the character stories. Even in all the insanity, what the characters do makes sense for the most part. That kind of thing can be hard to do when you go full crazy. It still has one of what I feel is one of Eva's major flaws. Some of the more insane or abstract bits feel like just there to spur questioning. At times, I feel there is no real answer. Probably because there isn't. Still, that kind of crazy is just a part of the fun.

I plan on doing both Rebuild 1 and 2 tonight as a double feature. I really look forward to re-watching both those with the series fresh in my mind. I'm particularly excited to check out Rebuild 1, as I remember very little deviation. I suspect I'll catch all the little changes now.
:)

A lot of people disregard Death and/or never even watch it, but its beautifully put together and the way its framed with the kids and the music is terrific. Makes for an intense double feature with EoE. Glad you enjoyed it!

wonzo

Banned
polarbear34a.jpg

cajunator

Banned
There are also specific techniques to doing it in the oven to compensate for the different temperature targets in different parts of the bird.

Turkey doesn't have to be dry and bland. It's just not the easiest meat to cook.

True.
The turkey we had was so tender it falls off the bone.
It had a crispy skin and super juicy meat.
Fantastic.
Turkey can be awesome.

CorvoSol

Hitokage, can I petition the return of your old avatar? I keep thinking your present one is a bird.

Also: The Big O is absolutely perfect. There's nothing about it I don't love. I cannot find fault with this show in any way possible. God, it just OOZES class and noir and combines them with Batman and Mecha in a way that's stunning. Also, Roger called Dorothy R. Dorothy Wainwright in reference to
Asimov's robotic naming convention

Is there truly anything wrong with this show? I dare say there is not.

Instro

Also: The Big O is absolutely perfect. There's nothing about it I don't love. I cannot find fault with this show in any way possible. God, it just OOZES class and noir and combines them with Batman and Mecha in a way that's stunning. Also, Roger called Dorothy R. Dorothy Wainwright in reference to

Hello friend.

sonicmj1

Too goofy, too much faux death and only sincere loss in flashbacks.

I don't have any investment of any kind in One Piece, but it doesn't sound like this storyline is typical One Piece. He watched over 300 episodes before finding something in the show that made him cry. So I guess there's something about that storyline that makes it different from how One Piece normally handles that stuff.

Nafe

Did you see the copy of DDP DOJ laying on the floor?

This show has all sorts of stuff that tickles arcade nerd boners like NeoGeos and Saturn pads and copies of DDP DOJ on the floor.

Interesting. Looking at that picture, it looks like he is playing a Cave Shmup right now on the television. Maybe DDP DOJ?

Actually your post reminded me of Dodonpachi Saidaioujou coming out next spring. I wonder if it will end up being a close international release? I thought a couple companies like Red Star Games were talking to Cave about that.

Late, but they both were: GunBuster / Die Buster

That's okay, any help is always appreciated. :)

So, I got the US Bakemonogatari set in the mail today... the character commentary is amazing.

Is that site RightStuf the only place to buy this? $150 still seems like a lot but it's also looking quickly at their site and apparently international buyers have to provide an image of ID and partially covered credit card? I suppose enough people buy from there without any problems but I don't know if I'm really comfortable with that kind of thing.

I don't know what your family makes, but Traditional WASPy American-style ham is also pretty bland.

Which is why I, not caring in particular for tradition but not blowing it off entirely, choose duck for Thanksgiving and beef rib roast for Christmas. Everybody wins.

Poor duckroll, being made as a sacrifice for somebody's Thanksgiving dinner. :(

CorvoSol

What? I've heard from people who confuse her knee for something else, but a bird?

Well, it's because-

she does have a bit of a beak

Yeah, that more or less sums it up.

Hello friend.

Such a good show. I love Full Metal Panic! but even that show doesn't have me all tingly the entire episode. God this show is so GOOD. It's so, so smooth.

It's an anthro pony. Get it right!

Sorry, it just looks like a bird out of the corner of the eye, that's all! The last one was easier to understand, when it was a purple fox butt.

I don't have any investment of any kind in One Piece, but it doesn't sound like this storyline is typical One Piece. He watched over 300 episodes before finding something in the show that made him cry. So I guess there's something about that storyline that makes it different from how One Piece normally handles that stuff.

The thing that made Brazil apparently cry actually is a flashback, so it technically wouldn't contradict what qcf x2 said. Now that I think about it, he probably shouldn't be surprised it can make people cry if he admits the flashbacks display sincere loss.

Cwarrior

Saobondy Archipelado, Amazon Lilly looks like shit, I don't know what you're talking about. SHIT with capital letters.

hmm...it had a good line up pretty much through out the whole arc and the next Poor nakoi tate,takeo ide,Kazuya Hisada,natoshi shida,Masayuki Takagi,Masahiro Shimanuki Kenji Yokoyama and others.

The art was a little different for op wahteva your entitled to your opinion.

Amazon lilly
may not be some people's cup of tea as the girls featured in that arc aren't all super perfect looking, some of them are fat or dorky looking having some funny variety between them(I like variety so no problem for me).

Hitokage, can I petition the return of your old avatar? I keep thinking your present one is a bird.

It doesn't have a sub $50 US Blu-ray release. The only weakness of shows like Cowboy Bebop and Big O...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

220px-Cherry_tomatoes.jpg

Theonik

Girls Und Pantzer 01
A pretty good first episode, I'm already hooked on the show. This is a fairly simple introductory episode though we do get to see some of
the MC's dark past and one of the battles that are to come which I sadly have already spoiled for myself, though it doesn't matter cause it got me into the show.
Let the tanking preparations commence!
also an aircraft carrier town is pretty trippy

Risette

A Good Citizen
Interesting. Looking at that picture, it looks like he is playing a Cave Shmup right now on the television. Maybe DDP DOJ?

Actually your post reminded me of Dodonpachi Saidaioujou coming out next spring. I wonder if it will end up being a close international release? I thought a couple companies like Red Star Games were talking to Cave about that.
I think MOSS is credited in EP1, so it's probably Raiden 4 or something (only played Fighters series, dunno) -- doesn't look like DOJ. DOJ:
(convert the oblong pixels to 3:4 mentally)

And I think an international release is still planned for SDOJ. GET HYPED FOR DUBSTEP OST

Uchip

Banned
Girls Und Pantzer 01
A pretty good first episode, I'm already hooked on the show. This is a fairly simple introductory episode though we do get to see some of
the MC's dark past and one of the battles that are to come which I sadly have already spoiled for myself, though it doesn't matter cause it got me into the show.
Let the tanking preparations commence!
also an aircraft carrier town is pretty trippy

I must be dead inside or something
everyone loves this show and I just cant see the appeal

Syrinx

True.
The turkey we had was so tender it falls off the bone.
It had a crispy skin and super juicy meat.
Fantastic.
Turkey can be awesome.

Sorry for being skeptical and all, but every turkey I've ever eaten has been just so fucking dry that I find it arduous to swallow. To me, the phrase "tender turkey" doesn't exist; it's like, "strawberry flavored shit".

I had sausage and peppers instead. The pilgrims would be proud!

Geneijin

Consistence isn't anime's forte,as long as stuff like sakuga exist(fluid animation which is usually an increase of frame rate) your never going to be consistent unless it's all high frame rate(sakuga) like a western cartoon or all low frame rate(no sakuga).

That applies to all anime cosmic since all them are uneven with moments paid more attention to then others(sakuga), If you want real consistency then should check out Western cartoons, each episode has over ten times the budget, has higher consistent frame rate through out.
You've just butchered sakuga.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"Just an increase of frame rate".

Oh my lord.

For your sake I hope you meant "an increase in the number of keyframes".

Theonik

Girls und Panzer 02
And here we go! The tanking instructor's
entrance in the Leopard was pretty damn sweet, we also get some more insight on just how much powerlevels MC's family has.
Yukari is a pretty awesome addition to the cast too. I like Rommel too. Hope there is more of her in the episodes to follow. Cast is pretty likable so far and I don't think I have anything I particularly dislike about the show so far, well I guess one could say the premise is a bit unrealistic but that was the reason I'm watching this in the first place. Panzer Vor!!

Watching Osamu Dezaki's Treasure Island, up to episode 19.

X2oHc.jpg
Kt0ho.jpg

lIeRI.jpg
DkzM5.jpg

XmxZr.jpg
D69FN.jpg

Some of the elements they added in to make it more appealing to little kids (yes I mean the animal sidekick, among other things) can clash pretty awkwardly with all the serious melodrama, but in spite of all that I'm genuinely enjoying it a lot. The story is presented in a genuinely interesting way that makes sure the audience will actually care about what's going on.

Plus, I can totally see why Imaishi liked Dezaki's Long John Silver enough to base old Simon's design on him.

The Secret World of Arrietty

So family wanted to watch something so my brother decided on watching this.

It wasn't bad. Plot wise was pretty weak especially in terms of why would you do that? and the whole white knighting (thanks firehawk), but it was still enjoyable. It looked nice, I did enjoy the music and the detail of the little world was pretty cool. I wasn't a big fan of the ending either but eh.

Cwarrior

wahteva key animator assigned to handle a certain key scene with a higher budget which usually results in more frames of animation.

sakuga just a nerd word for animation, my point is it's not going to be consistent until every scene is given the same level of care.

funny how no one says anything until Geneijin pointed out my error.

duckroll

Blasty the Talky - Episode 8

Oh boy. Here we go. The anime has finally hit the point where the manga drops like a rock and crushes the brains of all those faithfully reading it. Unfortunately, aside from some expansions on the presentation of the military activities (which were pretty cool), it remained a largely faithful adaptation so far. Which is to say, no, this episode was not very good at all. Probably the worst episode in the series so far. But all hope is not lost. In the next few weeks there should be plenty of great action. I believe in BONES!

On another note, the writer for this week's episode is Keigo Koyanagi. He's a production staffer at PA Works, who usually works on setting development for their shows, and wrote an episode of Hanasaku Iroha. Since he's writing for a non-PA Works show now, he has either gone freelance, or he's another guy who Ando has brought back to BONES with him after leaving the studio. Too bad he doesn't seem very good though!

Dresden

Blasty the Talky - Episode 8

Oh boy. Here we go. The anime has finally hit the point where the manga drops like a rock and crushes the brains of all those faithfully reading it. Unfortunately, aside from some expansions on the presentation of the military activities (which were pretty cool), it remained a largely faithful adaptation so far. Which is to say, no, this episode was not very good at all. Probably the worst episode in the series so far. But all hope is not lost. In the next few weeks there should be plenty of great action. I believe in BONES!

On another note, the writer for this week's episode is Keigo Koyanagi. He's a production staffer at PA Works, who usually works on setting development for their shows, and wrote an episode of Hanasaku Iroha. Since he's writing for a non-PA Works show now, he has either gone freelance, or he's another guy who Ando has brought back to BONES with him after leaving the studio. Too bad he doesn't seem very good though!

:/

Sounds exciting, can't wait.

Can't.

Wait.

VA6gp.gif

CorvoSol

I was certain that by rewatching this show, my opinion of Shinn would change somehow and I wouldn't hate him anymore. In part, my opinion has changed, but only because I am now full on rooting for the so-called bad guys. This is helped, of course, by two things
the first being that their commander is Mu La Flaga, and the second being that the good guys have Durandal, who is a spider if ever there was one.

As always, though, Athrun continues to be the next best guy around. Frankly, I'm tempted to consider him the protagonist before Kira, since Athrun's the one who actually has to go and get stuff done, while Kira's back home on his tropical island boinking Athrun's fiance, Sai's fiance, and just other men's fiances in general.

. . . putting it like that, I can't decide if Kira sounds studlier or just more of a jerk.

Poooossibly nsfw. Probably not, but I'll play it abundantly safe: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7lccgCV441ra2jz8o1_1280.png

And it was a wolf girl, not a fox girl.

Huh, I always assumed that was the top of a hoof. Oh, well. And I always thought it was a fox. Being purple, you can understand my confusion. Especially with the bushy tail.

Well, uh, there's season 2.

There's more than one season of this show? That's not bad news, is it? I mean, I'm only like, 4 episodes in but the show is golden!

Perhaps he's repressing it. He doesn't seem to recognize its chief motif.

The only thing I'm repressing is my memories of having ever watched any episode of Dragon Ball Z during the Buu Saga, AKA when the show sucked.

Perhaps CorvoSol is
ONE OF THE TOMATOES

I, uh, what?

His name even rhymes!

What, no it doesn't? Core-voh (alt Core-voo) Sole (alt Soh ohw). How does that rhyme with? I uh. You guys are hurting my brains.

You're still better than me:

I was trying to draw Rikka from my head at work. I only got the eyepatch...and then decide to draw something else.

Top o Nerae! 01

http://www.abload.de/img/gunbuster1a7hie1.gif

Awesome, But for some reason I always tought this anime was about Tennis because of the name and Coach, suddenly Norio Wakamoto, the animation is lovely I really miss this kind of animation.

Lol I was thinking about doing one of her, even though id probably not use it.

Girls und Panzer 02

And here we go! The tanking instructor's
entrance in the Leopard was pretty damn sweet, we also get some more insight on just how much powerlevels MC's family has.
Yukari is a pretty awesome addition to the cast too. I like Rommel too. Hope there is more of her in the episodes to follow. Cast is pretty likable so far and I don't think I have anything I particularly dislike about the show so far, well I guess one could say the premise is a bit unrealistic but that was the reason I'm watching this in the first place. Panzer Vor!!

Not a big deal but it was a
Japanese Type 10 tank

Jex

Is there truly anything wrong with this show?
I dare say there is not.

Season Two.
Well, uh, there's season 2.
Shit, look how slow I am. And old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom