• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Your One Piece impressions are always awesome. I just can't believe you didn't like Everybody Zombie Night! It was probably the single most bizarre moment in the entire series.

Well, it certainly caught me off-guard, haha.

Damn I absolutely can't wait to read your thoughts when you hit the end of Sabaody Archipelago now. Keep it up!

Can't stop, won't stop.

One Piece really is fun to watch. Reading your posts always give me the urge to run through the entirety of One Piece again. :D So many hype moments.

maybe they will do a One Piece Kai, with all the filler removed
and hopefully not censored

That'd be great.

Maybe they'll skip the filler episodes with the HD reruns?

yami4ct

The only thing keeping me from catching up on the last year's worth of episodes is the thought of what the pacing in
Fishman Island
is going to be like. I expect agony.

its as bad as you think it is

maybe it would be better marathoning it rather than waiting weekly for something marginal to happen

Honestly, this is why I've been taking breaks from One Piece as I watch. I never want to catch up. I feel One Piece works best when you watch an arc at the time, and don't watch the filler. I'm willing to take like 3 month breaks as it makes sure I never suffer the huge, week to week pacing issues that seem to plague that show.

One Piece - Thriller Bark Arc (326-381)
I love One Piece.

Yeah, Brook's back story is really something else. I think Robin's is still popularly considered the saddest, but the implications involved in Brook's are just soul crushing (yohohoho).

I mean
him being on the ship that all his crewmates died on alone for something like 50 years
is nothing to scoff at. Then you realize his awkward and kind of crazy personality, something normally played for laughs, is a result of any social skills he had deteriorating significantly after more than
half a century
of no human contact with the exception of landing on Thriller Bark 5 years before the start of the series.

Heavy stuff.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Honestly, this is why I've been taking breaks from One Piece as I watch. I never want to catch up. I feel One Piece works best when you watch an arc at the time, and don't watch the filler. I'm willing to take like 3 month breaks as it makes sure I never suffer the huge, week to week pacing issues that seem to plague that show.

My viewing experience was never the same after I caught up and started getting strung along week by week. The summer that I downed the first 400 episodes in six weeks or so was amazing.

It probably didn't help that I somehow managed to catch up the week that the mother of all cliffhangers aired (HUGE FUCKING SABAODY SPOILERS:
Kuma scattering the crew
)

yami4ct

Crying over OnePiece? I'll never understand.

Having watched all the way up through the end of Sabody Archipelago, the Brook story they're all talking about is the only thing that's gotten me. It's amazingly sad and well told. I was really surprised, given the sort of light fun of the rest of the series.

The only thing keeping me from catching up on the last year's worth of episodes is the thought of what the pacing in
Fishman Island

It's pretty bad. They adapted 51 chapters in 50 episodes. Maybe not as bad as Marineford's 31 chapters in 33 episodes, but still pretty bad.

The fact the arc itself is generally agreed to be not that good itself didn't help.

yami4ct

My viewing experience was never the same after I caught up and started getting strung along week by week. The summer that I downed the first 400 episodes in six weeks or so was amazing.

It probably didn't help that I somehow managed to catch up the week that the mother of all cliffhangers aired (HUGE FUCKING SABAODY SPOILERS:
Kuma scattering the crew
)

That's the exact moment that I've decided to take a break. It might have been a big cliffhanger, but it also feels kind of like a good stopping point. I can already tell, thing's will be way different after that point. I'll pick it back up in like another month or so. I just don't have time for more One Piece, haha.

Fishman Island

Its a shame that of all the things Oda has taken from Fairy Tail that pacing isnt a part of it, as the arcs be way too long, If I remember we started FI in like 2011...and its only finally winded down :/

I dont understand how one doesnt cry in One Piece, two major events always get to me

Cwarrior

[/URL].

I love One Piece.

Reading your impressions are always fun it brings back those sweet memories of seeing it for the first time(i still feel the same way no matter how many times i watch the best moments like 377).Thriller park was inspired by oda's love for Tim Burton movie the monster designs really show that(stitching strange body parts to stuff) a weird arc, I usually take pride in being able to predict what I watch but the later half of the arc oda flip that tea table while I was on it.

Brazil my good man you have some crazy times ahead of you.

by the way, weakling duo Nami & ussop are the best team up.

Lol spending way too much time on Blops 2's emblem editor.
I dont know how I went from failing a Girls und Panzer emblem to Kurisu.

You're still better than me:
j6Pjz.jpg

Pic with 3ds XD
I was trying to draw Rikka from my head at work. I only got the eyepatch...and then decide to draw something else.

Top o Nerae! 01

gunbuster1a7hie1.gif

Awesome, But for some reason I always tought this anime was about Tennis because of the name and Coach, suddenly Norio Wakamoto, the animation is lovely I really miss this kind of animation.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Reading your impressions are always fun it brings back those sweet memories of seeing it for the first time(i still feel the same way no matter how many times i watch the best moments like 377).Thriller park was inspired by oda's love for Tim Burton movie the monster designs really show that(stitching strange body parts to stuff) a weird arc, I usually take pride in being able to predict what I watch but the later half of the arc oda flip that tea table while I was on it.

Brazil my good man you have some crazy times ahead of you.

Looking forward to it!

qcf x2

really?
It sometimes has more heart than any other series

Too goofy, too much faux death and only sincere loss in flashbacks. Btw you didn't answer my question, were you being for real about being sick?

cosmicblizzard said:
And I'll never understand people crying over a ton of stuff that I don't like. Doesn't mean I'm going to mention it often. If it bothers you, just ignore the discussion.

You're the only one bothered. I can't react to a reaction? Don't get your gomu gomus in a bunch because I disagreed with decency.

yami4ct

Is Thriller Bark the OP arc that has consistently good animation?

If I'm going to be honest, and I hate saying this, but I don't One Piece the series ever looks constantly good. Most of the time it's just OK. Some of the movie stuff looks good, but other than that, not so much.

Speaking of kind of odd animation, I forgot to post this in my EoE post. One odd thing I noticed is how Eva unit 01 and especially 02 looked weirdly under-detailed in their battles. It really bothered me, especially Unit 02. They looked worse than in the series at times. Now, all the major set piece moments look fantastic, but it looked like they cheaped out there because they overspent elsewhere.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
If I'm going to be honest, and I hate saying this, but I don't One Piece the series ever looks constantly good. Most of the time its just OK. Some of the movie stuff looks good, but other than that, not so much.

Speaking of kind of odd animation, I forgot to post this in my EoE post. One odd thing I noticed is how Eva unit 01 and especially 02 looked weirdly under-detailed in their battles. It really bothered me, especially Unit 02. They looked worse than in the series at times. Now, all the major set piece moments look fantastic, but it looked like they cheaped out there because they overspent elsewhere.

I know OP is really visually uneven, I had thought there was one arc that was praised for being consistently well animated, though.

Cwarrior

Animation wise it's top notch but it's not balanced as the first half is good(some ok) but the later half is really really great, arcs after like Sabaody Archipelago,
Amazon lilly
and Impel down look great from start to finish.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Animation wise it's top notch but it's not balanced as the first half is good(some ok) but the later half is really really great, arcs after like Sabaody Archipelago,
Amazon lilly

Thanks for the info.

yami4ct

Amazon lilly

It get's better from where I'm at? Good. Having just finished Sabaody, I was thinking One Piece was kind of visually boring. Some of the fights in that arc look fantastic, but most of it was just OK.

You're the only one bothered. I can't react to a reaction? Don't get your gomu gomus in a bunch because I disagreed with decency.

Saying "I'll never understand why people feel X in regards to Y." is essentially a drive by. People are having a good time discussing the positive and negatives of a specific arc, while that adds nothing to the discussion.

qcf x2

I haven't posted impressions (other than JoJo's) for a bit because of school, work & Zero Escape but here goes:

Psycho Pass 1 - 3: This is okay. I had strong Ga Rei Zero vibes from the first episode, but it's more like an anime spinoff of Minority Report at this point. I don't know why I prefer combat based anime to include katanas, but I do. The guns here are pretty cool, but so far I'm worried about whether the series will have enough quality action to satisfy me (I think the setting is conducive to it, though).

Chuunibyou 1-4 : Best show and biggest surprise of the few I've seen this season. Dark Flame Master gets all the bitches.

what reason would I have to lie?

No idea but I hope you get better my brother.

No arc has consistently good animation. Some just happen to have some very well animated scenes, most of which are all "recent" arcs (recent meaning since the art shift in 2005 or so). I know Thriller Bark, Impel Down and Marineford all have somewhat lengthy sakuga videos, but that's still only a small percentage.

Ezalc

Can I comment on the dramas here? I mean I'm watching the Bambino one and I'm wondering why they decided to make Ban a bitch. Seriously, in the manga he was pretty outspoken and here he just seems to just take shit but not give it back. I'm still on episode one, I see Ban get his ass kicked by Katori and while that happened in the manga at least he wasn't as big as a pussy as this show is making him out to be.

Zeroth

You know, I'm mostly joking when I say Makishima is Kaworu, but playing Ode to Joy in the background gives it a very eerily twist.

Thoraxes

Awesome, But for some reason I always tought this anime was about Tennis because of the name and Coach, suddenly Norio Wakamoto, the animation is lovely I really miss this kind of animation.

Wakamoto pretty much sealed the entire experience for me like right away.

I just love the timbre of his voice that much.

Cwarrior

No arc has consistently good animation. Some just happen to have some very well animated scenes, most of which are all "recent" arcs (recent meaning since the art shift in 2005 or so). I know Thriller Bark, Impel Down and Marineford all have somewhat lengthy sakuga videos, but that's still only a small percentage.

Consistence isn't anime's forte,as long as stuff like sakuga exist(fluid animation animated by key animator with high budget which is usually results in an increase of animation frames) your never going to be consistent unless it's all consistent number of frames like a western cartoon or all low frames.

That applies to all anime cosmic since all them are uneven with moments paid more attention to then others, If you want real consistency then should check out Western cartoons, each episode has over ten times the budget, has higher consistent number of animation frame through out.

qcf x2

Saying "I'll never understand why people feel X in regards to Y." is essentially a drive by. People are having a good time discussing the positive and negatives of a specific arc, while that adds nothing to the discussion.

It's not a drive by, I'm still here. I've said nothing offensive or disrespectful so I'm not sure why you're the only one acting offended. It's pretty silly. You like some things I don't like; doesn't mean I can't talk about it once in a while. Have some turkey and relax.

Cwarrior said:
If you can't understand stuff that don't take them self seriously like jojo or op(giraffes) then of course you will never begin to understand.

This is almost true. I think it's the shows that don't take themselves seriously but then all of a sudden do (and then don't again) that don't resonate with me. I can appreciate a pure parody or lighthearted series. And I've never actually said I didn't enjoy OnePiece. ffs, I watched like 300 some odd episodes of it, so I can't say it's bad. I just ultimately reached a point where I'd had enough of the formula.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't know what your family makes, but Traditional WASPy American-style ham is also pretty bland.

Which is why I, not caring in particular for tradition but not blowing it off entirely, choose duck for Thanksgiving and beef rib roast for Christmas. Everybody wins.
mmm ducky...
Says you. I had deep fried turkey today and it was fantastic.
It sounds like something I need in my arteries right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom