• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Kids on the Slope was pretty good, don't get the hate. Flawed, but most of those flaws were related to the cramped rate with which they adapted the material later on. The highs were high and the bros were pretty gay. Don't see much wrong with it.

Lupin was totally 7th.

Branduil

Kids on the Slope doesn't belong with those others. The only context in which you could say it "sucked" is compared to previous Watanabe works, but that's a lofty bar. It certainly wasn't a disaster like Lupin.

duckroll

B9gYQ.png

Goddamn massacre in here. >_<

wonzo

Banned
Kids on the Slope got kinda sucky towards the end (oh and the dumb fangboy shite) but it was pretty good for the most part, especially the end of episode 7 which was absolutely phenomenal so I don't really see why people would compare it to the incredibly disappointing Magi adaptation or the turd called fujiko mine

Jex

People casually dropping Kids on the Slope in here are out of their god damn minds. While there were a few elements of that story that I didn't love it was, for the most part, very good. Conversley, Psecho Pass isn't very good for the most part.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
man this page is kinda depressing

i need to watch some Girls Und Panzer.

No, you changed your avatar! I was just purging my hentai collection when I came across your avatar in a book. An animegaffer, in my hentai! It's funny because when I deleted that book, your avatar switched... the fuck is happenin!?

CorvoSol

Shinn "I wish people who didn't understand stuff wouldn't talk as if they did" Asuka.

HAW HAW HAW. I mean, is this guy for real? Motherflipping Athas ordered the evacuation of ORB as soon as they could, and more to the point, what would he have had them do? Side with the Earth and be wiped out by ZAFT? Side with ZAFT and be wiped out by the Earth?

Jesus this is the worst kid ever. I would sooner spend a day with Shinji.

Branduil

I mean if From the New World goes off the rails it's perfectly fair to blame my hype even though I'm far from the only one. I made the thread after all.

Dresden

duckroll should just move to the manga thread where the hypequisition doesn't exist and hype is equally blamed on an assortment of posters, rather than a figurehead/scapegoat. Animegaf is vicious, mangaf is loving.

Jesus this is the worst kid ever. I would sooner spend a day with Shinji.

I dunno, Shinji would be cool. Pretty much any kind comment would result in a bath together as he furiously tries not to look at you. Then he'd listen to his SDAT player while fantasizing about the budding friendship.

Soma

No, you changed your avatar! I was just purging my hentai collection when I came across your avatar in a book. An animegaffer, in my hentai! It's funny because when I deleted that book, your avatar switched... the fuck is happenin!?

I live vicariously through your hentai collection.

I liked that avatar too (
and the source material
) so I might switch back at some point. I've just been in a big NGE mood lately with 3.0 out and this image has always been one of my favorite artworks from Sadamoto, let alone my favorite artwork of Misato.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It could get considerably worse.
Still my favorite show this season honestly. Despite it's direction issues in the past couple of episodes, the writing and storytelling is still very strong imo. And I'm really excited about tomorrows episode, based on a spoiler I heard about.

Branduil

Still my favorite show this season honestly. Despite it's direction issues in the past couple of episodes, the writing and storytelling is still very strong imo. And I'm really excited about tomorrows episode, based on a spoiler I heard about.

Telling people a spoiler exists is a spoiler.

wonzo

Banned
If it wasn't thanks to duckroll for hyping up Magi then I wouldn't have checked out the manga as early as I did so I can't hate him for that. :>

Pooya

From the New World was very bad for 3-4 episodes, fortunately last week was back to being interesting again, hope it stays like that this episode and for the rest. I can deal with it looking very ugly now (man, it looked great at first :( ) as long as story delivers.

I wanna watch something, but I have absolutely no idea what. Someone name some random anime that doesn't have romance as a major focus or revolve around cuteness please.

I was thinking about watching Boogiepop Phantom, but I dunno...

Grzi

One Piece - Thriller Bark Arc (326-381)

There was one thing I was sure of in my life: a shounen would never be able to make me cry.

Welp, so much for that. I guess you did warn me, Mad Pierrot, haha.

At first, this arc was a bit weird, specially coming off the Ice Hunter filler arc. Why? Well, Ice Hunter was about
an island that roamed the Grand Line capturing smaller ships to sell the pirates who owned them for their bounties.
And, coincidentally, Thriller Bark semeed to be about...
An island that roamed the Florian Triangle capturing smaller ships to sell the pirates who owned them for their bounties.
Obviously, then came the revelation that
Moria was actually a Shichibukai
and thatescalatedquickly.jpg. Still, the first part of the arc turned me off a bit.
It dragged on and on and on and on... Shit seemed straight out of Kaizoku Musou, hahaha. Non-stop running and fighting weaklings, w00t. The haunted theme was funny and surprising (despite already knowing about the "Thriller" part in this arc's title, I never saw it coming), but the novelty wore off the moment that random awkward zombie dance number showed up. Also, the fact that Oda decided to pair Chopper with Nami and Usopp as "the weak guys" annoyed me a little. I mean, did he read Enies Lobby?

Then the secondary face-offs started, and the only one who was actually enjoyable was
Zoro x Ryuma... And it only lasted half an episode. Well, I guess Usopp x Perona was neat because of Usopp's trolling antics.
But, overall, the confrontations in the first half were really disappointing.
Absalom was crap and got beat like a sack of meat, Perona barely fought... But the worst part was the hyper-hyped Chopper x Hogback clash that never happened. I'm ok with the fact that the doctor wasn't actually a fighter, but Chopper couldn't even deliver that glorious suplex? Come on, Oda.

But then...

The second half was pure shounen hype.

But before that,
Brook! What an awesome fella. I was afraid that this would finally be the time they'd introduce a nakama I didn't like... But, nope. Guy's simply awesome.

And so
Oz stops being 100% stupid Luffy and becomes a 50-50 between stupid Luffy and awesome Luffy, and shit starts getting real. Moria and Oz weren't really remarkable in any way, but their absurd power was enough to satisfy me. Yes, the "Luffy chases Moria and gets bitten by Brick Bats" mini-arc was very aggravating, but what happened after all that crap made me forget about it. I won't describe those episodes in detail, but holy shit, this show needs more team fights. Hopefully with Pirates Docking Six showing up, too, alongside the ingenuity and actually good animation from the team attack that downed Oz.
Of course: Oda again managed to make everything much more interesting with a sudden twist.
Kuma the Pacifista blew my mind a little. He also blew Moria's mind, haha. "You gon' die, mang."

Surprisingly, though, everything that happened after the "conclusion" of the arc were its best parts.

- First, episode number mother fuckin' 377. Also known as the best episode in the series yet. I mean, OH MY GOD. You guys know what I'm talking about, so I don't have to say anything else here. Just, wow.
- And second,
Brook's backstory.
This is the part where the tears come in. The initial revelation led me to this, and then...
Those three flashback episodes killed me. Sanji's backstory was sad, yeah. Nami's was sadder. Chopper's was sadder than Nami's. Robin's, of course, was also sad as hell. And so was Franky's. But Brook's, oh man, let me tell you: this shit makes Romeo's trajectory look like a Dora the Explorer episode. First they had to abandon Laboon. Then their captain died. And then... Wow. It's been a while, but I just couldn't hold back when they decided to record Bink's Sake and all of Brook's nakama started dying.
The blend of feels was too much.

So: first half = bad, second half = One Piece. Overall, I liked it. Also, what the fuck.

Oh, yeah! It seems they're finally reaching the future events and things in the series that the universe spoiled for me:

(Spoilers for future arcs... As in, future for me)
-
No, Luffy, Ace's not gonna be ok. I'm getting kind of nervous now that the time is almost here...
-
They mentioned Hancock! Cool.
-
Kaizoku Musou starts off with Luffy, Zoro and Sanji destroying Pacifistas like they're nothing. That's kind of funny. Obviously they're most definitely not as strong as Kuma, but still.

Previous impressions: Arabasta, Jaya + Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Water 7 + Enies Lobby.

I love One Piece.

Great impressions, as always, it's always nice to see first timers' reactions to One Piece.

Uchip

Banned
I wanna watch something, but I have absolutely no idea what. Someone name some random anime that doesn't have romance as a major focus or revolve around cuteness please.

boogiepop phantom? so you like dark, moody shows?
try ghost hound, maybe

CorvoSol

I dunno, Shinji would be cool. Pretty much any kind comment would result in a bath together as he furiously tries not to look at you. Then he'd listen to his SDAT player while fantasizing about the budding friendship.

Especially if you've only just met! First dates with Shinji Ikari go great, but I'm lead to understand the relationship just goes downhill from there.

Shinn Asuka isn't so different, except the first impression is crap and it just gets worse from there. So much worse.

I'll go with door number three and choose Roger Smith. He's so noir.

Branduil

From the New World was very bad for 3-4 episodes, fortunately last week was back to being interesting again, hope it stays like that this episode and for the rest. I can deal with it looking very ugly now (man, it looked great at first :( ) as long as story delivers.

The thing that surprises me is how bad Ishihama handles CGI because his aesthetic is otherwise very well-developed.

I was thinking of spoiler tagging that too.>_>

Too late, now the show is ruined for everyone.

Psycho Pass 7

I need to stop coming here before watching stuff. I'm waiting the whole episode, waiting for it to get crappy, but nothing. Didn't find anything wrong with it.

Sort of a transition episode, giving more development to the presumed villain. Not much progress in the case itself, but that's fine. We can assume a few motives here which I found pretty interesting. Also highlights more problems with the system itself.

Looking forward for what's to come.

Instro

Hey guys, remember that fucker duckroll? That asshole hyped the shit out of Psycho-Pass, posting news and updates about it every goddamn day. He even made an OT for the piece of shit show. What a goddamn loser. I'm never buying into that duckroll hype again. The guy has shit taste. This is what happens when we listen to scrubs.

http://i.imgur.com/o518s.jpg

I'll never forget the duckroll I saw that day.

Lets not rewrite the history books here, duckroll was the prime mover in thay hype.

I disagree. A good chunk of the cross-posters from mangagaf were very excited and just as optimistic. duckroll hadn't even started Magi until it had already cemented itself as one of the most popular series over in that thread, so I think the credit should be shared.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure!

Robotics;Note 7

I need to stop coming here before watching stuff. I'm waiting the whole episode, waiting for it to get crappy, but nothing. Didn't find anything wrong with it.

Sort of a transition episode, giving more development to the presumed villain. Not much progress in the case itself, but that's fine. We can assume a few motives here which I found pretty interesting. Also highlights more problems with the system itself.

Looking forward for what's to come.

I feel like this impression isn't aligned with the right series. :p

Dresden

Especially if you've only just met! First dates with Shinji Ikari go great, but I'm lead to understand the relationship just goes downhill from there.

Shinn Asuka isn't so different, except the first impression is crap and it just gets worse from there. So much worse.

I'll go with door number three and choose Roger Smith. He's so noir.

Hey, you never know how a relationship (totally platonic) would turn out with Shinji. It's not his fault they tend to lose their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom